• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Gaz_RB

Nice, thanks for all the info. :) My copy was supposed to arrive today, but we are getting snow/ice where I live, so it was delayed. And we're getting more snow/ice tomorrow, so I might not even have it for a few days. Not that it matters too much since I want to finish Bravely Default before I start LR. But yeah, I bet LR feels quite overwhelming when you first get into it. I'm not a fan of time limits in games (like at all), so I'm still a little bit worried about that, but... from what most people have said, it's not a problem.

No worries!

Yeah the time limit is kind of weird, but not as bad as I expected it to be. Then again I think I'll want to play through more than once, so it doesn't effect me as much. It is kind of overwhelming at first. And yeah I'm gonna try to balance this and Bravely Default the best I can over the next few weeks. It's nice that one is on 3DS so I can play that on the go and LR when I have time at home. Bravely Default has definitely sucked me in more though.

Come to think of it, I think you're on my BD friends list haha

Really liking the game so far.
The breadth of the combat system and the amount of customization available far trump the game's shortcomings.
Though, the janky NPC path-finding AI is hilariously bad.

Yeah, the npcs walking around and into each other like blind robots is pretty hilarious to watch. Especially when it happens during dialogue.

Speaking of the time-limit thing... is there a strict guideline of where I should be at specific times, or can I pretty much just do whatever I want as long as I'm prioritizing the main quests and getting a good amount of sidequests done? Because it's a bit overwhelming at first. I'm sure it won't be a big deal when I get used to it, but while I'm learning the game systems I keep worrying that I'm missing something.

Gaz_RB

Speaking of the time-limit thing... is there a strict guideline of where I should be at specific times, or can I pretty much just do whatever I want as long as I'm prioritizing the main quests and getting a good amount of sidequests done? Because it's a bit overwhelming at first. I'm sure it won't be a big deal when I get used to it, but while I'm learning the game systems I keep worrying that I'm missing something.

I mean I'm sure there are super efficient ways to run through the game, but I think you'll be alright if you're just doing as you say you are. Do main quests, while doing sidequests in between. With sidequests giving you more time in the world, I wouldn't worry about the time limit. Mastering the mechanics and systems early on will do you far better than trying to stick to a schedule or something.

It's not really like Majora's Mask where specific things happen on specific days. It's more like certain things are only open or available between certain times of day.

No worries!

Yeah the time limit is kind of weird, but not as bad as I expected it to be. Then again I think I'll want to play through more than once, so it doesn't effect me as much. It is kind of overwhelming at first. And yeah I'm gonna try to balance this and Bravely Default the best I can over the next few weeks. It's nice that one is on 3DS so I can play that on the go and LR when I have time at home. Bravely Default has definitely sucked me in more though.

Come to think of it, I think you're on my BD friends list haha

lol, yeah I'm pretty sure you are. xD I'm quite addicted to BD - getting new jobs and leveling them makes me play for way too long sometimes, lol.

Gaz_RB

lol, yeah I'm pretty sure you are. xD I'm quite addicted to BD - getting new jobs and leveling them makes me play for way too long sometimes, lol.

Yeah, I've already logged way to many hours in BD and I'm not even that far. Just experimenting with different job combos is a lot of fun.

That is one thing I do miss in LR, there is no real xp system. It's not bad per se, just different I guess.

robot

Enjoying it so far, especially the combat. The time stuff is really bugging me though, I'm constantly running around like there's a bomb attached to my back. I hate timers.

BadRNG

Enjoying the game quite a lot so far. The dialogue is cringe-worthy at times but the actual gameplay is so much fun I don't really care. (I never expect much from the story in JRPGs to begin with) Even some of the early enemies offered a few challenges, it's quite the breath of fresh air. One of my main complaints with XIII-2 was just how easy it was, especially if you did side-content as you ended up overleveled fast.

Apparently if you attack one of the guards enough times they will get pissed and fight you. I did this in one of the chaos zones(there were no normal enemies so I thought he had to be it..) and used up all of my items just barely getting the win. 3 ranged enemies with stat boosts/regen was a nightmare.

Yeah, the npcs walking around and into each other like blind robots is pretty hilarious to watch. Especially when it happens during dialogue.
In that very first area with the Inquisitor, one of the pedestrians began climbing a ladder. I wanted to see what would happen so I began climbing after him, Lightning just shoots up and sends the poor guy flying off. Hilarious.

Enjoying it so far, especially the combat. The time stuff is really bugging me though, I'm constantly running around like there's a bomb attached to my back. I hate timers.
Chronostasis is your best friend. Find an area with some enemies that drop a good amount of EP and clock ceases to be a real issue. On first day I spent like 30 minutes grinding on those robots that drop .20 EP while I fully explored what I could of the city.

What's the deal with the DLC costumes? Are they pretty much cheating? I've been using Yuna (comes with elemental with a star, which I'm now assuming it means maxed out) and Cloud (think it has heavy smash with slayer) and I've been completely distorying everything. Does the game start off easy or should I just stop using these costumes?

rataven

Just made it to the ark. Soooo disappointed to see Little Hope. I actually really liked how he developed in the last game, and Adult Hope seems like a nicer fit for the story here. There better be a somewhat plausible reason behind making him a kid again!

Glad I could help!

That circular gauge is your EP. It goes up to 5 max, and is basically like your special Savior powers. It fills up after every battle you win by values ranging from .3 of a chunk to two chunks (the highest EP payout from a battle I've seen so far), and then you can either use 2 chunks for a skill called overclock, which stops time in the battle and lets you pound an enemy with no worries, or use it on a variety of other skills outside of battle like teleportation around the game world, healing, and stopping the in game clock for a few minutes.

Outside of battle, and after you've worked your way through a bit of the story, you can click triangle or Y and go to your EP abilities section. That shows all the things you can do with it.

If anyone else needs any more help, I can probably answer some early questions. I've mostly wrapped my head around how the game works.

Oh cool. At first glance I thought this may have been tied into the countdown. I poked along during the opening, so I was honestly a bit concerned I'd blown through some of my days. Very glad that's not the case!

Liking it for the most part so far but the time limit stuff is irritating me, it's completely antithetical to the way I play these kind of games. I have a feeling I'm going to run out of time and fail on my first playthrough, I didn't get any of the whatever-it-is magical maguffins for the tree on my 2nd day. I even failed the very first quest the game gives you, assisting the inquisitor. I was helping that dumbass guard walk 50 feet to the station when the time ran out. I didn't realize there was such a tight limit on it. :/

Yeah, I've already logged way to many hours in BD and I'm not even that far. Just experimenting with different job combos is a lot of fun.

That is one thing I do miss in LR, there is no real xp system. It's not bad per se, just different I guess.

Yeah, I'm around 20 hours into BD and still on Chapter 2. I switch jobs so often and just go experiment with various combos, lol.

LR not having an exp system is a bit weird, but at least battling enemies isn't completely useless (since they give you EP/GP/items/abilities/gil).

I have a feeling this is how I'm gonna be playing which is unfortunate. I just don't like time limits and especially not in a RPG where I like to take my time exploring. I'm gonna be sprinting like nonstop. :p

In that very first area with the Inquisitor, one of the pedestrians began climbing a ladder. I wanted to see what would happen so I began climbing after him, Lightning just shoots up and sends the poor guy flying off. Hilarious.

lol, shame you didn't get that on video.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Question about one of the first quests:

I'm supposed to find 4 numbers on walls to open the gate. In the quest description, it made it sound like I wouldn't be able to see the numbers until after 6am? Do I need to wait until then? Or do I need to find them before 6am? I only have about 3 hours left... before 6am is that enough time to find them? Ugh this time limit thing is just nothing but unneeded stress

Gaz_RB

Just had an epic battle. Was getting my ass handed to me for a few minutes until I figured out his pattern/weakness, then powered through and finally got him without even having to retry. Great stuff.

Question about one of the first quests:

I'm supposed to find 4 numbers on walls to open the gate. In the quest description, it made it sound like I wouldn't be able to see the numbers until after 6am? Do I need to wait until then? Or do I need to find them before 6am? I only have about 3 hours left... before 6am is that enough time to find them? Ugh this time limit thing is just nothing but unneeded stress

They don't appear until after 6. Basically it's the game telling you to do something else. Hop on one of the trains and go to one of the other areas. I'd suggest the Wildlands. I'm having a blast there.

rataven

I was finally able to equip the Cloud garb, and wow at the feels! Such an iconic costume, and yet so simple. The VII victory theme was such a nice touch too.

I was admittedly a little down on these Legends costumes, since they seemed like cheap plays on nostalgia, but they did a nice job on them.

ironcreed

Banned
I have to say, I'm liking it more than XIII or XIII-2 so far. I am still in Luxerion, mind you, but the combat, customization and slightly darker tone just works for me more than the previous 2 games. I just find it to be more fun. I'm kind of worried about the time, though. I am already on the 3rd day and have only just
infiltrated the Etro cult.
I'm guessing (hoping) I will find more ways to extend it as I progress.

Anyway, a few of my first shots:

1621738_651666271563810_1136594185_n.jpg

1907579_651773111553126_128450321_n.jpg

1609985_651762724887498_538685001_n.jpg

1601566_651774814886289_1352947839_n.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys, i have a question.

I'm following the FAQ on gamefaqs to pursue some missing quests .. Oracle Square is Augere Square in the English version right ?

neither

I'm so tempted to pick this up right now!

But I know I'll hate myself if I don't wait till the price drop in like a month.
hopefully

rataven

Three things you guys weren't kidding about:

-- Hope never. stops. talking. Literally, he never stops.
-- The Cloud costume is WAY overpowered. Heavy slash does upwards of 1200 damage while all other attacks are hitting for 200. :O
-- And the environments do feel like Assassin's Creed knockoffs. That's not necessary a bad thing, but given that Lightnings's moves are much more limited, traversal feels less fluid and realistic. Like jumping on top of a box rather than pulling onto it makes it seem cartoony.

My release day shipping turned into 2 day shipping because magic.

Thanks amazon.

They pulled this stunt on me recently too. Not that it helps much after the fact, but email them about it; they may upgrade your next item to one-day shipping.

HTupolev

Anyway, a few of my first shots:
I'm digging that screenshot utilities are gaining support on consoles, but the compression is so depressing.

My first experience with this stuff is Halo 3. The screenshot utility renders images at 4K and some AF, and it downsamples this to 1080p. And then, argh, it saves it as a ~200kB jpeg.

And then I experience LR screenshots, and feel like I've been spoiled this whole time.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm digging that screenshot utilities are gaining support on consoles, but the compression is so depressing.

My first experience with this stuff is Halo 3. The screenshot utility renders images at 4K and some AF, and it downsamples this to 1080p. And then, argh, it saves it as a ~200kB jpeg.

And then I experience LR screenshots, and feel like I've been spoiled this whole time.

Meh, I like it. It's fun to play around with.

Giolon

I am hating this so far. The quests are really unclear in letting you know when you can't complete them because you need to wait for time to pass. It's been unclear in all 3 main quests I've done so far
waiting for the cultists to appear, waiting until the next day for the numbers to appear, and waiting until midnight to be able to get to the last number
The 2nd one was particularly egregious b/c the game goes on and on and on about warning you OH SHIT YOU'RE GONNA BE FORCED BACK TO THE ARK AT 6:00AM!

Then there's combat, which basically doesn't explain itself. Why should I use any given attack? Is it just enemy weaknesses? What's the point of moving around if pressing an attack button automatically positions Lightning at the proper range for the attack?

This is also the type of game setup I absolutely hate: hey you're free to do what you want, but if you go to the wrong place you're dead!
Hello Meonektons in the back alleyways on the first night!
There's always the lingering dread that I'm doing the wrong thing or not spending my time wisely enough and I'm going to end up in a situation where I'm so fucked I'm going to have to start over or at the very least lose hours of progress by having to load an earlier save.

I'm also really bad at figuring out what to equip in my Schematas. I haven't found many abilities from fighting enemies yet. I had Fire Lv1, but I died so I restarted and haven't been able to get another one. How do I know a Garb is worth purchasing? There's already far more than I can afford. Ditto for weapons.

I'm really bummed out about this game now.

Just been tinkering around with all the odds and ends schemata wise considering you get a good bit to tinker with between preorder dlc, previous game save files, 2 from beating the demo, one from the CE guide etc.

I am pretty much 50/50 on how I feel now about actually starting the stressful anxiety provoking timed bits of the game. I really should know better then to play games like this with a serious anxiety disorder but in the immortal words of Squall, Whatever.

As a side note, the Cloud preorder costume is completely broken, after I switched to it and redid the boss from the prologue I one shot him with Slayer for 36000 damage once he staggered from spamming thunder :l

Just in case Perfo or the mods miss this from the reviews thread. It's time for Perfo to own up on his end of the avatar bet. From the other thread:

Alright guys looks like this will be Perfo's avatar until the end of March 13th.

Mods or Perfo, you know what to do. Time to change the avatar and post so we can all see it's glory.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm so damn scared playing it at normal will lead me to a game over and start the game from new again :-( here reviews don't help, some say it's impossible to finish the game the first time, others say it's pretty easy to manage time and extend it. Where's the truthhhhh ~

iori9999

Banned
So anyone have tips on what the best streams settings are for this game? When I try 720/60 the cutscenes lag so I had to lower it to 30.. Also I notice since I got this 120Hz TV, my streams ghost or lag more..

K.Sabot

As a person who's played the first 2 Dead Risings, i'm completely used to the new game+ structure.

Completely prepared to play the game twice to finish it, and won't really bother me. Not gonna rush through it because some dumb time limit, that would only diminish my enjoyment.

MilkBeard

The music is really surprising me in this game. Very good. Right now a man singing with a guitar started playing as I walked through the market in Luxurion. Sounds like a home recording, in a good sort of way.

Thoraxes

So far this is really good. And most importantly, it's really quick to get in and out of battles so I feel like I can really just plow through and have fun without any interruption or progress-halting stuff.

Music is really great too, and i'm digging how big the environments are. It's really fun to run around Luxerion and check out all the different lore things and people everywhere. I like that the music changes with the districts too!

The customization is also top-notch. I really love how I can tinker with every little thing, and the difficulty of the game rewards you for exploring those systems by having more efficient battles, should you prepare for them.

I'm always a game-systems/battle-system over story kinda guy, so it's pretty nice having a game like this. It's the same reason something like Tales of Graces f is one of my more preferred Tales titles.

I can see myself taking the time to Platinum this.

The music is really surprising me in this game. Very good. Right now a man singing with a guitar started playing as I walked through the market in Luxurion. Sounds like a home recording, in a good sort of way.

I swear I heard singing of a vocal track from XIII-2. One of the Orgia ones I think.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Perfos new avatar :(... how long will he have it?

TWO MORE DAYS...

RPGCrazied

Getting it today! Think I'm going to go easy mode so I can just go through it fast. I have other games to get that are coming out real soon. Sure wish you could select your difficulty in the game at will, like XIII-2 did. Wonder why you couldn't do that in this.

RS4-

I'm also really bad at figuring out what to equip in my Schematas. I haven't found many abilities from fighting enemies yet. I had Fire Lv1, but I died so I restarted and haven't been able to get another one. How do I know a Garb is worth purchasing? There's already far more than I can afford. Ditto for weapons.

I'm really bummed out about this game now.

Yeah the menus are shit. You can only enable what a sub ability is while shopping or equipping something. But if it's something attached to the face buttons, you won't know what it does until you actually equip it, back out to the skill screen then highlight that specific skill.

Find a garb that does elementa? Buy it first, equip, back out, highlight, read!

Enemies randomly drop skills. And the 36k sword at the forge in luxerion is really good. I use it with clouds garb.

I'm so damn scared playing it at normal will lead me to a game over and start the game from new again :-( here reviews don't help, some say it's impossible to finish the game the first time, others say it's pretty easy to manage time and extend it. Where's the truthhhhh ~

I've heard such conflicting reports on this. Some people say the game is incredibly easy to finish everything and you'll have way too much time on your hands. Others say they failed and had to start over. So... uhh. I'm someone who likes exploring every little nook and cranny of a world, and I'm afraid if I do that, I'm gonna be screwed.

TIME LIMIT IN A RPG MAKES NO SENSE!

Mendrox

I've heard such conflicting reports on this. Some people say the game is incredibly easy to finish everything and you'll have way too much time on your hands. Others say they failed and had to start over. So... uhh. I'm someone who likes exploring every little nook and cranny of a world, and I'm afraid if I do that, I'm gonna be screwed.

TIME LIMIT IN A RPG MAKES NO SENSE!

You lose time if you play on normal (by dieing or "fleeing" cause you cannot die).
You don't lose time by playing on easy.

Normal has better spell drops, easy has normal spells.

Game is not that easy at first so I would recommend easy mode to have fun with the game, there are still challenges ahead.

Top Bottom