• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

RPGCrazied

You lose time if you die? That doesn't sound good at all. I think I'd rather do everything in the game with time left, then have less time left with lots of stuff left to do. Easy mode for me. And since there is no difficulty trophies, it makes it an easier decision.

Mendrox

You lose time if you die? That doesn't sound good at all. I think I'd rather do everything in the game with time left, then have less time left with lots of stuff left to do. Easy mode for me. And since there is no difficulty trophies, it makes it an easier decision.

Yes every time you flee (note: die) you lose 1 ingame hour. :)
I played the first two hours on normal and didn't like this fact so I started the game on easy again and played through it without having to worry about the time.

Gaz_RB

I just save before difficult battles and reload the save if I lose so I don't lose the hour of time.

Easy is too easy! I think the game loses a lot without the challenge of the battles.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just save before difficult battles and reload the save if I lose so I don't lose the hour of time.
Are there usually save spots before a boss?

When exactly does the game pause? Menus? Cutscenes? Pause?

If I play on Normal, that's probably what I will do. I have a feeling I'm gonna be saving a lot (because how will you know what is a difficult battle and what isn't? besides those monsters that appear in the chaos).

jtrov

Bah, I had no intention of buying this since I just picked up Bravely Default and Toukiden, but I can't shake the fact of how much I enjoyed the demo. Really didn't care for the story bits and voice acting, but damn was the combat enjoyable. Now I'm watching some of these reviews and I can't help but feel the need to pick this up when I'm out later.

One quick question though. Does this game have any form of a Coliseum, much like in XIII-2? I really enjoyed that aspect of XIII-2 and since the combat in this looks to be even more fun, it would be a blast to fight through some old style boss battles in LR.

RS4-

You can manually save whenever you want; and I believe it auto saves after you accept/complete quests.

The clock is frozen when you're in the menu, cutscenes, shopping, at the ark, talking, paused.

Gaz_RB

All of the above+ in battle. And you can save absolutely anywhere from the pause menu. So I you feel like you spent too much time pointlessly exploring, you can just reload a save.

If I play on Normal, that's probably what I will do. I have a feeling I'm gonna be saving a lot (because how will you know what is a difficult battle and what isn't? besides those monsters that appear in the chaos).

Yeah I mean you can have as many save slots as you want, so you can just save a lot. And a lot of the time so far, you'll initiate the bigger battles yourself, and when you flee it spits you back to the map, so you will lose an hour of game time max if you save after that. Also there are Pheonix Downs and all that fun stuff that can activate when you die.

Honestly the more I play the game the less I've been caring about the time limit.

Damn, maybe I should've started on Easy. I've gotten so close to dying a couple times then had to go super Saiyan lightning on these monsters.

This is kinda reminding me of Majoras Mask.. Except I've never played Majoras Mask.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, it pauses during battle?

Yoshichan

Then honestly, what's the hurry? It pauses in the menus where you customize your abilities and garbs, and it pauses during experimental battles... doesn't seem like an issue.

MilkBeard

Yes every time you flee (note: die) you lose 1 ingame hour. :)
I played the first two hours on normal and didn't like this fact so I started the game on easy again and played through it without having to worry about the time.

Just don't die. It's just like if you were playing a normal rpg. You have the choice of starting from your save again. It even gives you that choice as a button press when you die if the monster is too hard.

Honestly normal isn't that hard. It's a moderate difficulty, where a lot of 'normal' difficulty settings are actually on the easy side in most games.

RPGCrazied

Then honestly, what's the hurry? It pauses in the menus where you customize your abilities and garbs, and it pauses during experimental battles... doesn't seem like an issue.

Some people like to explore every nook and cranny? Can't really do that with some time element keeping you always moving the story forward.

MilkBeard

you can also pause the time for a little while by using chronostasis which uses points that you get refilled every 'day.'

MilkBeard

Easy is too easy! I think the game loses a lot without the challenge of the battles.

Yep that's what I've been doing. The only time that a monster has been too much to handle for me is when the game has made it clear that the monsters are tougher.

Basically some mobs of enemies have been pretty tough, but the important thing is to try to find their weaknesses as soon as possible.

ironcreed

Banned
Some people like to explore every nook and cranny? Can't really do that with some time element keeping you always moving the story forward.

That is the only thing that is bothering me so far. I'm still in Luxerion and want to run around and take my time looking for items and such, but Hope is constantly reminding me that I am running out of time. Hell, I am just on the first main mission and am already on the third day. I hope that's normal, lol.

I picked up the guide for this game, which seems to be really helpful in managing your time. Before starting main quests/side quests, it tells you when time will run out before it automatically fails you (like the first Inquisitor mission that ends at 23:45.) Gives you good advice on when to take on certain side quests too, like during long waits in between main story missions. Pretty helpful for those on the fence about it.

From what I played, I'm really enjoying the game. Aside from the technical issues, it's fun. The battle system is great and managing your garb/schema offers plenty of strategy. My favorite thing about the game is the sense of foreboding it gives off - you can really feel the darker tone of the game immediately.

It's good so far. I like it. And I think I'll continue to enjoy it as I keep playing. It's worth checking out if you can look past the technical jank.

Yeah, I hope it becomes available to buy because that is the one DLC costume that I'd actually pay for.

Do you or anyone else know if it comes with the game? I'm hoping it's like some pre-orders where as long as you buy it close to launch it will have the code... ugh

just tried to download the japanese voice DLC before the game arrives on friday. it won't let me.

is this DLC only if you have the game? too bad for those people who planned to DL it when its free and get the game later

frequency

Do you or anyone else know if it comes with the game? I'm hoping it's like some pre-orders where as long as you buy it close to launch it will have the code... ugh

Mine came on a card paper thing in the game case. It is actually on the cover in a giant square advertising it though. Not a sticker or anything. An actual part of the cover art.

Woah so glad I was impatient and picked up the steelbook edition at target

I thought I would have to wait a long time since the CE was ordered with free shipping, but it actually arrived launch day after I had already opened the steelbook.

Stunned to see that the CE only comes with a regular case, which now I look at the image again is what it shows (but the artbook looks like a steelbook case in the image so I had assumed thats what it was - my mistake).

Artbook was very nice in the CE though, and pleased after the bravely default crushing that this arrived undamaged despite being simple packaging.

Anyway initially very disappointed with game due to the time limit and ugly graphics vs prior games. After reading the CE guide however and playing around with combat, I think its a very cool and fun game if I think of this as a seperate spin off game (vs a FFXIII/-2 sequel).

I think the steelbook from target is really impressive design, and its a shame regular CE purchasers dont get it after paying $100 ("free shipping")

njean777

So I just got to day 2, was I suppose to just do side quests until the timer hit 6am? Just want to make sure I didn't waste my time...

Fehyd

Banned
The impressions here and the ones in the review thread are night and day. I'm genuinely excited to give this a go when I get home. Had a raid with my guild last night in ffxiv and this was calling me the whole time. Even bought the guide because I'm a sucker for hardcover game guides.

Seriously you guys are killing me, especially since I enjoyed the demo lol.

Gaz_RB

So I just got to day 2, was I suppose to just do side quests until the timer hit 6am? Just want to make sure I didn't waste my time...

I know it's hard at first, but I seriously would not worry about the time limit. It is not as harsh as some people would think. It's basically there as more of a story mechanic than something that you should constantly be worrying about.

The impressions here and the ones in the review thread are night and day. I'm genuinely excited to give this a go when I get home. Had a raid with my guild last night in ffxiv and this was calling me the whole time. Even bought the guide because I'm a sucker for hardcover game guides.

Yeah, the only thing that I haven't enjoyed at this point is the somewhat shoddy technical performance. It kind of balances out for me because the world seems really big.

This game reminds me of the sequel to dragon age, where I was very disappointed as a sequel due to so many things being removed/simplified from the game. If they had launched it as a totally separate IP with different characters etc then I would have had no expectations and may have enjoyed it for what it is.

I find this game similar, since as a sequel to the prior games it was a big disappointment to me - the time limit system and the relatively ugly graphics (vs prior games).

Once I understood how the game works and played around with the combat system, I came to really appreciate how innovative and interesting the whole combat and equipment system is and I think as a game in its own right, its very interesting/unique/fun.

I now understand the gap between reviews, eg 8 at eurogamer suprised me since they usually match my feelings on games so thats a high score from then. then seeing say gamespot at 5/10 (which is a very low score for them on their curve)

Initially I was very disappointed and would have agreed with the 5/10. Now I think I will enjoy the game for what it is and kind of think of it as a completely seperate, non FF game so I can imagine a 8 or 9 out of 10 (since to me the combat system is the most interesting part of an action RPG).

15 hours in and I'm done. I have no motivation to keep playing. I'll probably finish it next month some time when I have time to waste. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is good. I like the customization and the core battle system, though I still give XIII the crown because of the overall balance, strategy, and fine tuning it had. It's just... not enough to keep me going anymore.

Despite all the flack XIII gets for the story, it had enough potential, execution, and interesting concepts to get me through the first 25 to 30 hours. I then sunk another 80 or so hours in because of the gameplay.

I barely got through XIII-2. I finished the story and then read all the other fragments online and watched all the extra cutscenes on youtube.

LR... I don't know what went wrong. It's not like they had a change in the writing staff like some games do.
Making Lightning emotionless as a plot point was just a stupid fucking idea. I want to see Lightning's struggles. I want to see her get emotional. But no, instead, monologue after monologue of how she doesn't care about anything (not even Serah) which are later contradicted constantly. When Lightning isn't being hilariously cold, she's going into melodramatic overtures.
Several plot points are redundant, motivations are reused, the other characters have actually been distilled to their basic elements, the tone is inconsistent, the overall writing is inconsistent, and the overall experience is a hollow one. I find it even hard to write this much about the game I care so little about it (kinda like Lightning in the game, lol).

I don't know. Maybe some time away from the trilogy would be good so I can go back in with a fresh perspective. But as it is, LR just doesn't do it for me. The gameplay should have been enough to keep me going, but I'm just so disappointed in the story that it seems that it's not. More power to the people who really seem to be enjoying the game.

MilkBeard

Nope, I got my copy by walking in the store release day and didn't get any code. Bummer, because I had all this time to prepare, but I just didn't know I was going to get the game so quickly.

MechaX

Wait, Lightning is supposed to be emotionless in LR as a plot point?

But... she acts the same way she did in XIII and XIII-2 in all of the LR promotional material...

And this wasn't used as some ironic commentary or character insight as to how emotionally stunted Lightning always was, was it?

It's all to set up Lightning to have the same epiphany from Lumina she had in XIII: She grew up too fast, she's not the person she wants to be, she needs to open up more. Hence why I said "redundant plot points"
But no, there is no irony to be found.

Gaz_RB

God removed them from her and Hope.
Like I said, contradictory at times.

I'm probably not as far into the storyline as you, but when
they mentioned that God maybe took their emotions out of them so they would be more effective, I thought that was speculation on their part? Or is it confirmed later?

I'm probably not as far into the storyline as you, but when
they mentioned that God maybe took their emotions out of them so they would be more effective, I thought that was speculation on their part? Or is it confirmed later?

I'll admit I'd basically stopped paying attention 10 hours in after what happened in Yusnaan. Maybe they mentioned something that I missed.
But Lightning gives a big speech to Noel about what she should be feeling but doesn't and at some point Bhunivelze taunts Lightning with Serah, which Lightning monologues "I felt nothing"
They really drive that point home.

Gaz_RB

I'll admit I'd basically stopped paying attention 10 hours in after what happened in Yusnaan. Maybe they mentioned something that I missed.
But Lightning gives a big speech to Noel about what she should be feeling but doesn't and at some point Bhunivelze taunts Lightning with Serah, which Lightning monologues "I felt nothing"
They really drive that point home.

I'll have to get back with you on that, so far I've only done side quests and some Sazh stuff, haven't really dealt with
the Noel story yet,(though I know he's the Shadow Hunter) or the Yusaan area yet.

I agree though, there is some contradictions between some of the side quest dialogue stuff and her emotionless self during the main story. The first scene with Sazh is especially jarring.

Yoshichan

Gotta keep myself busy for another two days :_:

YT1nxI3.jpg

I'll have to get back with you on that, so far I've only done side quests and some Sazh stuff, haven't really dealt with
the Noel story yet,(though I know he's the Shadow Hunter) or the Yusaan area yet.

I agree though, there is some contradictions between some of the side quest dialogue stuff and her emotionless self during the main story. The first scene with Sazh is especially jarring.

Eh, I don't know. I just seems so... unnecessary.
Keep the Lumina thing, keep the epiphany, and just write off Lightning's emotional dissonance as her struggling with he duty and to keep going. The whole "God took my emotions" thing was just bound to bring up contradictions.

Just came across the cutscene I was thinking of. It's said that Lightning can't feel much because she's becoming "something almost divine". Except she sure as hell acts like she can feel. But according to her "Ever since I became the savior, I haven't been feeling much of anything". It's seemingly a massive contradiction

I can't believe I've been sitting in my bedroom for 4 days without going out or doing anything BUT playing this game..... feels so good <3

The game is super flawed but can be also super addicted for a major FF fan.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I forgot it was coming out yesterday and missed pre-ordering it to get the Cloud DLC... I'm so pissed off...

I don't know if it's only in Canada, but i've seen the package at retail and Cloud comes in the first printing of the game. Like, it's printed right on the package... not even a sticker.

just tried to download the japanese voice DLC before the game arrives on friday. it won't let me.

is this DLC only if you have the game? too bad for those people who planned to DL it when its free and get the game later

I don't have the game yet.... I downloaded it....

I don't know if it's only in Canada, but i've seen the package at retail and Cloud comes in the first printing of the game. Like, it's printed right on the package... not even a sticker.

Yea I noticed that too (I'm in Canada) I was going to get the Cloud DLC regardless of preorder. All the games had the DLC bonus on the front sleeve.

Gaz_RB

Where on the package? Cause I didn't preorder, but I bought it day 1 and I missed out on Cloud :(

But I'm in the US, so idk. I'll check when I get back.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
15 hours in and I'm done. I have no motivation to keep playing. I'll probably finish it next month some time when I have time to waste. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is good. I like the customization and the core battle system, though I still give XIII the crown because of the overall balance, strategy, and fine tuning it had. It's just... not enough to keep me going anymore.

Despite all the flack XIII gets for the story, it had enough potential, execution, and interesting concepts to get me through the first 25 to 30 hours. I then sunk another 80 or so hours in because of the gameplay.

I barely got through XIII-2. I finished the story and then read all the other fragments online and watched all the extra cutscenes on youtube.

LR... I don't know what went wrong. It's not like they had a change in the writing staff like some games do.
Making Lightning emotionless as a plot point was just a stupid fucking idea. I want to see Lightning's struggles. I want to see her get emotional. But no, instead, monologue after monologue of how she doesn't care about anything (not even Serah) which are later contradicted constantly. When Lightning isn't being hilariously cold, she's going into melodramatic overtures.
Several plot points are redundant, motivations are reused, the other characters have actually been distilled to their basic elements, the tone is inconsistent, the overall writing is inconsistent, and the overall experience is a hollow one. I find it even hard to write this much about the game I care so little about it (kinda like Lightning in the game, lol).

I don't know. Maybe some time away from the trilogy would be good so I can go back in with a fresh perspective. But as it is, LR just doesn't do it for me. The gameplay should have been enough to keep me going, but I'm just so disappointed in the story that it seems that it's not. More power to the people who really seem to be enjoying the game.
I would say the game starts out decent enough but the further you go in... yeah. Not so much.

Top Bottom