• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Dead Dunes is actually my favourite area, but then I've always liked the desert in an FF game trope. Loved the Adamantoise skeleton buried in the sand in the Grave of Colossi area, and the remains of the Atomos Fal C'ie elsewhere. Kinda wish there was the remains of Atlas somewhere.

FtHTiny

The Chronostasis ability should ask if you want to refresh it after it runs out.
I can´t even count how often i have to use it.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I've done almost everything I can do in my first playthrough (missed that one quest in Lux that requires you to answer the phone). On day 11, working on killing all Last Ones while simultaneously using the drops to finish off the the Canvas of Prayers quests. Never used chronostasis until I started grinding for Last Ones (didn't even use it grinding Skeletons for that one quest). In less than 3 in game hours I've killed every monster in the Dead Dunes to extinction. To think I was worried about time. It's still only 11AM on day 11.

Koozek

Hahahahaha, just 5-stared Wildlands Boss, after going back and doing the rest of the main quests first :D And I was so afraid I wouldn't beat him even now. Finished him with one Overdrive + Army Of One.
Maaan, this battle system is so damn satisfying.
I've been awake for over 30h now - the third time this week since I started this game. I'm getting on Yoshichan levels of crazy :p
Who would have thought that of all games THIS one would keep me up all night^^

Btw, a funny thing I noticed: enemies would attack the lizards walking around the Dead Dunes when they haven't yet seen you :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've been awake for over 30h now - the third time this week since I started this game. I'm getting on Yoshichan levels of crazy :p
Who would have thought that of all games THIS one would keep me up all night^^ld attack the lizards walking around the Dead Dunes when they haven't yet seen you :D

Hahaha :3

This game is really fun. I was unsure if I'd like it at first, but looks like I had nothing to be worried about.

Sometimes I'm confused as to what I should be doing though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You mean the framerate in EVERYWHERE. Seriously the drops in this are constant.

This is next level stuff! The enemy that jumps out of the sand drops it to single digits for awhile. :(

I've actually been having a pretty good time with the main missions, cleared the first two cities so far. But man it is actually really hard to fight enemies like that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is next level stuff! The enemy that jumps out of the sand drops it to single digits for awhile. :(

I've actually been having a pretty good time with the main missions, cleared the first two cities so far. But man it is actually really hard to fight enemies like that.

It was never that bad in the PS3 version.

Adaren

It was never that bad in the PS3 version.

Given how bad it is and how infrequently its mentioned, I'm not surprised it's a 360 only thing.

It's only the sandfish, and it's only when they do Rush and spew sand particles everywhere, but it actually drops the frame rate so low that the game logic itself runs notably slower to compensate. It's clearly just some buggy code given how comically laggy it is.

All the more reason to exterminate them.

squall211

Has anyone fought the harder version of
Snow
in Yusnan? Apparently I've waited too long to do this main quest, and now when I get to the end of it I have to fight the beefed up version. I'm just curious exactly how much harder this boss is.

Given how bad it is and how infrequently its mentioned, I'm not surprised it's a 360 only thing.

It's only the sandfish, and it's only when they do Rush and spew sand particles everywhere, but it actually drops the frame rate so low that the game logic itself runs notably slower to compensate. It's clearly just some buggy code given how comically laggy it is.

All the more reason to exterminate them.

I call it the "Sahagin Slowdown" and it is indeed a bit funny how out of shape the framerate gets only in this instance. Nothing like it anywhere else. Boss fights, large monsters, big mobs could have the universe exploding with multiple spell effects and attacks in any given fight but leave it to the lowly Sahagin tossing sand in your face to cause major framerate grief. LOL

Okay so I have no idea what to do. I'm in the Wildlands, I have the chocobo up and riding it, but I'm still supposed to be making it stronger or something. I found a Yuel's flower but that didn't seem to do much, I did this stupid sheep wrangling thing, and I'm not sure what else to do beyond that.

Roxas

God this game is offensively ugly. Can normally rely on SE to at least make their games look good but this...eww

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

I literally burst out laughing when this...thing...appeared on screen

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My score vs the bosses of chapters 1, 2, and 3 has reliably been 1. Literally 1 fucking point. Zero stars. Against
Caius
I had to empty out every single recovery item I had, including an ether, and even then I have no idea how I managed to win, I was restarting that fight for like an hour.

It's something that's bugging the hell out of me: you can't easily say "well I'll go get stronger and come back." You can't grind. You can grind sidequests I guess, but the primary currency in grinding is an input of TIME. And time is the one thing this game does not let you consume without penalty. And even if you COULD reliably grind, all it would do is increase the damage you do. What I need is DEFENSE. And in a game where the only conceivable way to mitigate enough damage is to have some kind of thaumaturgic pre-vision and perfect-guard every large attack, all the grinding in the world isn't gonna help me.

I really don't know if I'm gonna be able to make it past the next boss. Especially since I just hit day 7, and my understanding is that the enemies become HARDER to kill every day moving forward, so the enemies will likely outpace my ability to gleam +1 and +2 stat upgrades from shitty quests and make things LESS doable as time goes on.

There are some neat ideas in this game, but lord almighty, there are some shitty ones.

Caffeine

God this game is offensively ugly. Can normally rely on SE to at least make their games look good but this...eww

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

i find the dog charming if he had real fur he wouldn't look as charming as he does :p

Balphon

My score vs the bosses of chapters 1, 2, and 3 has reliably been 1. Literally 1 fucking point. Zero stars. Against
Caius
I had to empty out every single recovery item I had, including an ether, and even then I have no idea how I managed to win, I was restarting that fight for like an hour.

It's something that's bugging the hell out of me: you can't easily say "well I'll go get stronger and come back." You can't grind. You can grind sidequests I guess, but the primary currency in grinding is an input of TIME. And time is the one thing this game does not let you consume without penalty. And even if you COULD reliably grind, all it would do is increase the damage you do. What I need is DEFENSE. And in a game where the only conceivable way to mitigate enough damage is to have some kind of thaumaturgic pre-vision and perfect-guard every large attack, all the grinding in the world isn't gonna help me.

I really don't know if I'm gonna be able to make it past the next boss. Especially since I just hit day 7, and my understanding is that the enemies become HARDER to kill every day moving forward, so the enemies will likely outpace my ability to gleam +1 and +2 stat upgrades from shitty quests and make things LESS doable as time goes on.

There are some neat ideas in this game, but lord almighty, there are some shitty ones.

It seems that the primary method of increasing your power is through upgrading your abilities rather than your stats. As for defense, I've been using a schemata with Heavy Guard (turned into Heavy Guard+ when I changed garbs a few game days ago) for most of the game, and it's been quite helpful, so you may want to try that if you haven't already.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

Much graphics. Amaze.

Adaren

How do you get 'Launch' to appear all the time when you get a stagger?

I've been wondering this too. I'm pretty sure that only certain enemies are Launchable, and your physical attacks turn into Launch when certain conditions are met. I've been able to consistently Launch Phase 2 Behemoths after doing a "double Stagger" (Staggering them while they're Staggered). I've also Launched a Cyclops before, but I'm not sure what the conditions for that one were. Probably another "double Stagger" scenario.

What I need is DEFENSE. And in a game where the only conceivable way to mitigate enough damage is to have some kind of thaumaturgic pre-vision and perfect-guard every large attack, all the grinding in the world isn't gonna help me.

I think you just need to find a setup that works for you. I'm currently using a 220 Guard Defense shield with Heavy Guard Lv. 3 from the
Paladin
garb and I'm finding I usually take 0 damage even without a Perfect Guard (they're still nice for Stagger, of course).

Additionally, my melee damage Schema has Lancet (heals on attack) and a sword that gives Regen at the start of every fight. My last garb is a magic damage one, and I actually equipped a -66% Health +1 Finale accessory on it because of how much defense/healing my other two Schema provide.

What's your setup like?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think you just need to find a setup that works for you. I'm currently using a 220 Guard Defense shield with Heavy Guard Lv. 3 from the
Paladin
garb and I'm finding I usually take 0 damage even without a Perfect Guard (they're still nice for Stagger, of course).

Additionally, my melee damage Schema has Lancet (heals on attack) and a sword that gives Regen at the start of every fight. My last garb is a magic damage one, and I actually equipped a -66% Health +1 Finale accessory on it because of how much defense/healing my other two Schema provide.

What's your setup like?

Maybe I just have shitty equipment. My best defense on a shield is the goddess shield, 100 magic and physical. I've got mediguard on my magician schema so I can try to restore health when I come across a wimpy guy that I can just kill time on. But yeah during that one boss fight there wasn't a single attack I could negate all of the damage from without a perfect guard. Stuff like
megaflare
would do 3/4 of my health no matter what.

I do have that
Paladin
garb so maybe I'll put that into the rotation and go shopping for a better shield or two or three. I've never been super-impressed by anything in the forges, though. The best sword I've ever had, barring the one I just got from the previous boss, was from a behemoth I killed in the lead up. Just a staggering increase in power over my other stuff. Are there some fabulous shield drops I'm missing out on?

Adaren

Maybe I just have shitty equipment. My best defense on a shield is the goddess shield, 100 magic and physical. I've got mediguard on my magician schema so I can try to restore health when I come across a wimpy guy that I can just kill time on. But yeah during that one boss fight there wasn't a single attack I could negate all of the damage from without a perfect guard. Stuff like
megaflare
would do 3/4 of my health no matter what.

I do have that
Paladin
garb so maybe I'll put that into the rotation and go shopping for a better shield or two or three. I've never been super-impressed by anything in the forges, though. The best sword I've ever had, barring the one I just got from the previous boss, was from a behemoth I killed in the lead up. Just a staggering increase in power over my other stuff. Are there some fabulous shield drops I'm missing out on?

I haven't actually gotten to that boss (I should tonight, though!) so I can't comment on how much damage I take from him, but all of the enemies I'm facing right now can't touch me (exception being the Chocobo Eater's bite attack, which still does a moderate amount of damage).

The shield I'm using is called Renegade, and it can be bought in Yusnaan.

Ricker

So what happens exactly when you run out of time on normal...I get a bad ending and get a new game + anyway or what...? because I seriously cant advance anymore...the only thing I might try(I am on day 7 with 2 days left it says) is try and do some of the sidequests and canvas stuff in Luxerion at least...this will raise my stats a bit since the rewards from that are about the only thing that will strenghten me right now...

I want in a ruin kind of place in the Dunes with an ancient cube or something at the end.then to get out of there I have to fight 2 ennemies that have an attack that I cant block and it refills their health when they do it...so its almost a non stop barrage of hits on me,while I have to wait for the stupid slow ass ATB bar to fill,while I get pummeled...then I want back to Wildlands...they tell me about this guy that lives in the ruins of a ship or something but I look at the map to try and reach it but I cant,its on a part of land that is raised,like a little hill or something...unless Lightning can fly at some point(wouldnt surprise me)I have no clue how to get there...and the thing guarding the Chocobo I can't beat either...same thing..at some points,he keeps hitting me with stuff I can't guard and I die...

Kazdane

I've just started Day 6 (with another 6 on the clock). Only Dead Dunes and sidequests remaining

Snow was laughably easy after doing Caius first, and I felt Lightning was generally overleveled for Yusnaan at that point. From looking at the database, Noel+ seems to go up to 860.000hp, Snow+ to 700.000 and Snow++ to 1m. I'm considering I'll go for those two (Noel+ and Snow++) in the hard difficulty playthrough.

If you have issues guarding against damage, make sure your shield has (the stat is in spoiler just in case someone wants to figure it out in his own)
Guard Defense. It brings down the damage of most of the attacks even if you don't perfect guard them, to the point of going immune with many of them

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

HAHAHAHA

Oh man, I'm glad I just browsed this thread for no reason. I was listening to them talk about this game on Playerone Podcast this week. This is obviously what they were talking about when they said PS2 polygons in the middle of the game. I want to see more like this!

Those bad visuals are so distracting sometimes because a lot of the models and some of the locations don't look too bad. It's particularly noticeable when the camera is panning around characters during a cutscene. You might not even notice how bad some of the textures are during gameplay, but the game almost shoves them right in your face during those npc scenes. I can't believe someone would think to themselves, "Yeah that looks alright." when they were making the game.

Still, I am finding it to be more graphically impressive than most of the JRPGs I have played recently so I can't complain too much. Just not up to Square standards.

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

LMAO. Yeah, I burst out laughing at that too.

Anyway, as silly as the dialogue/story is, I keep finding myself having a ton of fun with this game. Battle system really is a blast.

ibeNIa9UwTYU8R.jpeg

The upper part of its face, where the nose is, looks either like a ballsack or an ass with a butthole.

Balphon

I do have that
Paladin

Since you've already finished chapter 3 you might want to try to get Sacred Knight from the tablet/mural quest in Poltae. It has passive defensive abilities and upgrades guard; I've been using it for awhile and it's been very useful.

HeelPower

Overview:

Hope that helps :/ that's all I'm typing on it.

shinta thank you so much...I really appreciate your help but I just couldn't beat him.

I had to repeat the game on easy NG+ and while I am in the process of repeating the game and I'll give my old save a few tries using this strategy.

Greatly appreciated for typing all this. :)

Mesharey

In NG+, finished all the main missions all side missions, I have some questions:
what is the best place to farm money or to upgrade your weapon?
Any recommended weapons? I think if you kill the last behemoth you'll get a good weapon.

Top Bottom