• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

rataven

It's a shame Day 1 starts you off with such a little amount of time to accomplish anything because it sets this hurried tone right off the bat that doesn't seem to be applicable once you get into and past Day 2. I started the game over because I felt I'd screwed myself with time loss on the first day, but now I'm a couple days into the main story and am lollygagging around, picking mushrooms and stuff.

iLQGyvo7i3drv.png

Isn't Meccanical using that? Where's he been anyway?

Zafir

It's a shame Day 1 starts you off with such a little amount of time to accomplish anything because it sets this hurried tone right off the bat that doesn't seem to be applicable once you get into and past Day 2. I started the game over because I felt I'd screwed myself with time loss on the first day, but now I'm a couple days into the main story and am lollygagging around, picking mushrooms and stuff.
Yup, fully agree. There isn't really any mobs to farm EP on day 1, making it seem far more time constrictive than the game actually is.

Wonder if I'll be able to unlock day 14. I've completed 36 sidequests and 30 Canvas quests. I have two days left, and I guess the 5th main quest to go.

Zafir

I figured, I just hope it's possible for me to do that with having two days to go... but I'm sure the fifth main quest completion will add another day.
The fifth main quest is just going around the other areas finding fragments, some you may have already gotten.

The fifth main quest is just going around the other areas finding fragments, some you may have already gotten.

So the end of the 5th mission doesn't save a soul? I guess I should buckle down on the sidequesting then :p I just hope I won't have to replay the game just to unlock the extra day and dungeon.

Zafir

So the end of the 5th mission doesn't save a soul? I guess I should buckle down on the sidequesting then :p I just hope I won't have to replay the game just to unlock the extra day and dungeon.
Well, it's still required that you complete it, and it is saving a soul, it just isn't like the other main quests in the sense you have a sub main quests, then a dungeon and then a boss battle. To save the said soul you need to find the fragments in other areas(which are easy to get mostly).

Xevren

Has anybody even tried Aeronite yet?

Edit: Okay, I see some tried. But did anybody actually BEAT him? :D

Yeah, I beat him. He was probably the hardest boss in the game but still wasn't that bad really. Stagger 4 times then artemis arrow spam.

JerkShep

Has anybody even tried Aeronite yet?

Edit: Okay, I see some tried. But did anybody actually BEAT him? :D

I actually managed to beat him earlier today, and the optional boss of the 14th day too. Aeronite is troublesome but doable with the right setup, even without spamming overclock (well...a degree of overclocking is still necessary I believe). If you need help feel free to ask. I think others have beaten him too.

Zafir

Is there a reason people are referring to things like "the 5th mission"? I thought there was no order.
Don't missions have like "X-1",2,3,4,5 next to them with X noting what mission it is?

Haven't played in a few days.

Yes, the game does actually call them mission 1-2, or 5-3 or whatever, for example. It's also good to use so you don't have to spoil explaining what main mission it is. You can't really say just wildlands, because it has 2 main missions.

Honestly, it makes me think I'm playing Demon's Souls again, lol.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
As a huge Lightning fan, I'm loving the game and legit loving the story, but I started on normal and the time limit is bothering me. Sigh, trying to decide if I should start over on easy, or just let myself run out of time, that way at least I carry over my stats....

Zafir

As a huge Lightning fan, I'm loving the game and legit loving the story, but I started on normal and the time limit is bothering me. Sigh, trying to decide if I should start over on easy, or just let myself run out of time, that way at least I carry over my stats....
The time limit isn't a problem after the first day, keep at it. If anything, I'm finding myself with very little to do on the final days. Finished day 6 with all main quests done and 43 side quests complete.

Garland7G

I really like this game, but still iffy about the time restrictions, About to go up against
Snow
but I'm at 23:00 :(
Is there any way to change the clock off of the 24 hour style? Its just really annoying lol.

1780817_1419332524981477_1523636803_n.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

I really like this game, but still iffy about the time restrictions, About to go up against
Snow
but I'm at 23:00 :(
Is there any way to change the clock off of the 24 hour style? Its just really annoying lol.

1780817_1419332524981477_1523636803_n.jpg

you abusing the EP command Chronostasis to extend time?

if not then start doing that

MilkBeard

My score vs the bosses of chapters 1, 2, and 3 has reliably been 1. Literally 1 fucking point. Zero stars. Against
Caius
I had to empty out every single recovery item I had, including an ether, and even then I have no idea how I managed to win, I was restarting that fight for like an hour.

It's something that's bugging the hell out of me: you can't easily say "well I'll go get stronger and come back." You can't grind. You can grind sidequests I guess, but the primary currency in grinding is an input of TIME. And time is the one thing this game does not let you consume without penalty. And even if you COULD reliably grind, all it would do is increase the damage you do. What I need is DEFENSE. And in a game where the only conceivable way to mitigate enough damage is to have some kind of thaumaturgic pre-vision and perfect-guard every large attack, all the grinding in the world isn't gonna help me.

I really don't know if I'm gonna be able to make it past the next boss. Especially since I just hit day 7, and my understanding is that the enemies become HARDER to kill every day moving forward, so the enemies will likely outpace my ability to gleam +1 and +2 stat upgrades from shitty quests and make things LESS doable as time goes on.

There are some neat ideas in this game, but lord almighty, there are some shitty ones.

This battle system is the Dark Souls of Final Fantasy (cliched, I know, but it's true). You have to get better and memorize patterns, or some of the later enemies will chew you up and spit you out. At least that is my experience on normal diffiuculty. There are some equipment setups that will help you out a lot but the hard battles will rely 80% on your reflexes. All I can say is to watch the enemy status screen (libra ability) to help you glean some info about the enemy's weakness. And memorize their patterns until you can do it in your sleep.

HeelPower

SO I actually had to do NG+ to beat the damn final boss and I did.

He was drastically easier...like no comparison.

And the final twist at the ending..

Seriously just WHAT THE FUCK....

They can't be serious that this is cannon.

Gaz_RB

Yes, the game does actually call them mission 1-2, or 5-3 or whatever, for example. It's also good to use so you don't have to spoil explaining what main mission it is. You can't really say just wildlands, because it has 2 main missions.

Honestly, it makes me think I'm playing Demon's Souls again, lol.

Wow, 40 hours and never noticed that lol.

Haha I actually really liked the ending.

They are dead serious.... well at least Toriyama is. We warned you. ;P

In my mind the story finished in XIII (which it did, you cannot BS me) and the sequels are just "what if" scenarios where the writers go off the cliff.

Oh, it's canon. And want to know the original ending?

The original ending was going to have Lightning reuniting with the XIII cast, giving them all one last final send off. But... "It began with Lightning, so it had to end with Lightning" so instead of letting us see Serah and Snow ready to get married, Noel and Yeul finally together, Fang and Vanille together, Hope and whether or not he is an adult again, Lightning and Serah being reunited, etc... we get Lightning sitting on a train. What The FUCK. I mean, having that wouldn't have made it good, but it would have at least made it less fucking awful.

HeelPower

They are dead serious.... well at least Toriyama is. We warned you. ;P

In my mind the story finished in XIII (which it did, you cannot BS me) and the sequels are just "what if" scenarios where the writers go off the cliff.

I didn't expect that tbh...I mean know many people were disappointed and I was expecting some silly twist but WTF this was unacceptable.

Also I didn't like the CG at the end.I wanted something simpler and more humane at the end.
Turning the cast into a collective God is embarrasing

I am completely shocked to quite honest.

Yeah obviously the story ended with the first and XIII-2 is a big fat retcon but still compared to this it tried to be "creative" in some sense.

But this....I cannot argue with anyone about the ending.

There is no room for argument or convincing that this is great.

HeelPower

They had a full game to offer a good story and this was the final part in a trilogy that took nearly TEN years of investment to make.

They made it so that the story ends on an unarguably poor quality.

Square Enix is a company that has amazing tools such as visual works to convey good stories ,but it just seems they intentionally choose not to.

As someone who liked the first game , I am disappointed.Very much so.

The main reason I am disappointed is that we all know they can do so much better.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They had a full game to offer a good story and this was the final part in a trilogy that took nearly TEN years of investment to make.

They made it so that the story ends on an unarguably poor quality.

Square Enix is a company that has amazing tools such as visual works to convey good stories ,but it just seems they intentionally choose not to.

As someone who liked the first game , I am disappointed.Very much so.

The main reason I am disappointed is that we all know they can do so much better.

No, that's arguable.
"They recreate the world to live without stupid gods and on their own merits"
is a thematically fitting ending, if you overlook the blow of the corn that the new world looks like Earth.
Just like every other piece of story in this trilogy though, it's all about presentation screwing it up.

zeopower6

Finished this game this morning. WHAT A RIDE.
I was getting mega-Gurren Lagann vibes. And holy crap, that's what I wanted in the ending to begin with! Though more scenes with other characters would have been nice, but I guess it was probably implied that they eventually all got together or w/e.

It's probably the most... unique Final Fantasy ending ever.

Toth

Haha. The ending is probably the worst FF ending to date.

Aside from the
lack of other characters in the epilogue
, it is far from the worst. That's still tied with FF12's non-ending and FF7's ending, pre-compilation (when we had no idea what happened).

Besides, aren't they going
to be continuing on the characters in some novellas or something?

HeelPower

No, that's arguable. "They recreate the world to live without stupid gods and on their own merits" is a thematically fitting ending, if you overlook the blow of the corn that the new world looks like Earth.
Just like every other piece of story in this trilogy though, it's all about presentation screwing it up.

The way it ties to the real world.

The senseless retcons left and right.There is nothing credible about the ending.Sorry.

Aside from the lack of other characters in the epilogue, it is far from the worst. That's still tied with FF12's non-ending and FF7 pre-compilation (when we had no idea what happened)

You can't be serious ? FF12 had have a very grounded and solid ending.

You can't possibly be serious.

Keep in mind I loved the first game.I amnot criticizing the ending based on some unfounded hate.

The only redeeming factor is wonderful Visual works CG.

Reveirg

"OMG TORIYAMA'D"?
I just don't see it.

It's just a small send-off. It's very similar to (small Monolithsoft RPG spoiler)
Xenoblade's
ending in many ways.

No, that's arguable. "They recreate the world to live without stupid gods and on their own merits" is a thematically fitting ending, if you overlook the blow of the corn that the new world looks like Earth.

Did you just spoil the ending? :(

Toth

The senseless retcons left and right.There is nothing credible about the ending.Sorry.

You can't be serious ? FF12 had have a very grounded and solid ending.

You can't possibly be serious.

Keep in mind I loved the first game.I amnot criticizing the ending based on some unfounded hate.

The only redeeming factor is wonderful Visual works CG.

My main issue with 12's story is that it lacked the 'world changing' feel other FF's have (this is just a personal reflection). 12 ends with too much uncertainty and unresolved plot. LR has a nice feel of finality.

"OMG TORIYAMA'D"?
I just don't see it.

It's just a small send-off. It's very similar to <blank>'s ending in many ways.

Yeah, that's probably why I don't mind the ending as such. It's been done.

zeopower6

"OMG TORIYAMA'D"?
I just don't see it.

It's just a small send-off. It's very similar to (small Monolithsoft RPG spoiler)
Xenoblade's
ending in many ways.

tbh, it's probably mainly that final scene and the Lightning-centricness of everything.

zeopower6

Well she IS the trilogy's main character. But you're probably right in that it's the reason that "plot twist" gets so much hate.

I know, but for most Final Fantasy games, even if there is a 'central character(s)', you still get the other cast in good doses. With this, it skewed towards Lightning as soon as XIII-2 was released. :(

I just wanted some more of Hope/Serah/Vanille/Fang/Sazh/Snow than what we got. Sazh and Hope got gypped tbh.

timshundo

I'm 17 hours in and I'm actually liking the game for far but the actualy story/plot elements just to few and far between compared to the first games. :(

Also I love capturing screenshots of the best examples of shitty, rushed graphics. You'd think with stuff like this that they'd at least figure out how to get a steady 30fps. :/

pV4ktIZ.jpg

Reveirg

I know, but for most Final Fantasy games, even if there is a 'central character(s)', you still get the other cast in good doses. With this, it skewed towards Lightning as soon as XIII-2 was released. :(

I just wanted some more of Hope/Serah/Vanille/Fang/Sazh/Snow than what we go. Sazh and Hope got gypped tbh.

Yeah, I don't share the same hate for Lightning that so many around here have, but I gotta agree that a lot of those secondary characters should've had much more screentime. LR kinda remedied some of that, but ultimately it was too little too late.

zeopower6

I'm 17 hours in and I'm actually liking the game for far but the actualy story/plot elements just to few and far between compared to the first games. :(

Also I love capturing screenshots of the best examples of shitty, rushed graphics. You'd think with stuff like this that they'd at least figure out how to get a steady 30fps. :/

pV4ktIZ.jpg

The lack of plot is probably because they stuck all of those elements inbetween days. It's a side-effect of the 'open' nature of the game.

And honestly, don't a lot of games have those kinds of shitty graphics if you look close enough? :/ This game was pretty gross looking in stills, but I found it was pretty nice when playing at least. :/ Some of the graphics looked really good in certain areas.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

I'm afraid to say, you're letting your emotions about the creators of this game get to your perception of the story. It's not real world. The creators probably chose Earth not because "Wee, Lightning is now in France brb tickets" but because "What's an easy to understand image of a world that's as un-fantastic and humanistic as possible? Well, Earth." There were JRPGs in the past that used this story device. Retcons... eh. I wouldn't say the original game's writing was waterproof either.

MilkBeard

"OMG TORIYAMA'D"?
I just don't see it.

Xenoblade's
ending in many ways.

If we're looking at something similar to
Xenoblade's twist
then I will be alright. The problem I had with
Xenoblade,
is that so many people I know were worshipping the game, saying it had the best story ever in a video game, and that 'your mind will be blown!'

When I got to that twist I was like....really? They just pulled another Cloud Strife, in a way, except
Shulk
is a worse developed character. I wasn't impressed.

However, With LR, I am expecting some goofy shit, and will just enjoy the game for what it's worth. I don't really go into video games expecting novel quality story and characters. I got rid of that expectation a long time ago.

Top Bottom