• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

i've beat luxerion and yusnaan. just got to wild lands on day 7.. (i feel im going too slow..)
just got the chocobo to healthy and i can ride him, but i dunno what to do next? it didnt seem to explain it... help?

i've beat luxerion and yusnaan. just got to wild lands on day 7.. (i feel im going too slow..)
just got the chocobo to healthy and i can ride him, but i dunno what to do next? it didnt seem to explain it... help?
You need to keep planting vegetables or doing quests to
continue feeding the chocobo until it heals completely (takes between 8-10 food or drink items), which will maximize its jump power. Then head to Jagd Village in the southwest forest, and notice a gap you can jump over with a healed chocobo at the north end of the village. This will lead you into a series of mountain paths that, again, require a healed chocobo to traverse. One of these paths ends in a settlement built into the mountainside, the other paths spit you out onto the northwestern hilly plains...the Wildlands Main Story Quests (and more side quests) await at these two locations.

Do note that the Wildlands main quests (well, one in particular) are widely considered the most difficult in the game, so if you run into problems, consider making headway at the Dead Dunes first and coming back later.

That was a Yoshichan from another dimension, Toriyamas work is upon me now!

No seriously, I never did expect/praise the story in the trilogy. I just fucking loved Caius/Noel/Yeul, that's it. Best part of XIII-2 and this game.

Me too. I'd actually go so far as to say the Noel/Caius/Yeul stuff was the best part in the entire trilogy, and I would have preferred if LR took place immediately following the ending of XIII-2 with Noel as the main character. Lightning could join you later, but it'd just be Noel and maybe Hope to start with. Of course, the direction for the story would have completely changed and no more "500 years later" BS.

I am playing this game very weirdly. I don't know if it's just that the time limit's doing bizarre things to me, or that I'm just really good at using Chronostasis or what, but...

I'm still on Day 2. It's only about 1 PM, and so far I've:

• Gotten myself all set up for the Yusnaan palace "tour"
  • Found all the code-numbers in Luxerion, except for one I can't get to until after midnight
  • Nursed the "Angel of Valhalla" chocobo back to health. (Still need to fix his wings)
  • Went to Dead Dunes, found a way around to the bandit settlement, and dispersed the sandstorm
  • Explored quite a bit of the Dead Dunes ruins with Fang. Got sidetracked finding oil for Bhakti, as that's apparently a timed quest. Found 2/3 oil so far.
  • Completed several side quests, and solved about a dozen requests on the Canvas of Prayers

There's a common problem at work here. I was able to complete most of the quest in Luxerion, but since the final number of the code appears only in an area that's gated off until after midnight, I couldn't continue that. (Midnight is many, many hours away for me, especially with my constant Chronostasis spam.)

So I went elsewhere...and ran into the same problem again. In the Wildlands, I was able to nurse the chocobo back to health, but I need his wings working again. I've talked to everyone I can think of in the various farms and settlements, and brewed up all the Choco-whatever I possibly could. I'm constantly missing out, however, on an ingredient that can only be found at night (I think?), so it's off to yet another location.

The big dungeon beneath the Dead Dunes is full of time-sensitive stuff, including "traps" where it's possible to lock yourself into an area for an hour until the doors open again (or unless you use Teleport, if you can afford to). Plus, now I'm sidetracked by a fetch quest that's timed - and I'm not even given the time limit. I assume I have until the end of the day at 6 AM, but who knows?

The duality of it all is strange: I feel like I haven't done much (as I haven't defeated any of the big story bosses yet), but I also have a feeling that I accomplished a whole lot (I've basically done 30-40% of the story already). I'm subconsciously afraid of running out of time, even though I've managed to keep the clock frozen almost constantly. I know I need to focus on one area/quest, but all the little things are demanding my attention and stringing me along.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

This is one thing I'm dreading - all the time requirements for getting into areas and this is the first I've heard about dungeon traps that lock you into an area for an hour if you aren't careful. That sounds really dumb and annoying. And the whole time stuff is just a total pacing killer imo. If you're doing this main story quest and it's just starting to get interesting, then bam, you have to wait another 12 in game hours to proceed. So you can either waste time by doing nothing or you can go around doing other boring quests to fill the time. God, I just think about how the game would have been without the stupid time limit and time-sensitive stuff, and I'd be so excited to play.

Okay, dumb question. I'm on day 6 and have 7 days remaining, and...it doesn't seem like there's much else to do. Am I just supposed to wander around and finish up quests until the thirteenth day? I've completed all four main quests and also
'beat' Caius

Terra_Ex

How do you
fix the white chocobo's wings so it can jump gaps in the terrain, I've given it Yeul's flower and taken it to see the girl who thinks chocobos can talk. Do you just have to keep feeding it things until it gets better?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How do you
fix the white chocobo's wings so it can jump gaps in the terrain, I've given it Yeul's flower and taken it to see the girl who thinks chocobos can talk. Do you just have to keep feeding it things until it gets better?
Keep feeding it. There are four Yeuls flowers out there (north, on the opposite direction of the camp. south, right next to the small farm. west, in the far western parts of the woods. east, where the chocobo eater boss was. Yeuls flowers spawn once every 23 hours and 59 minutes.

frozencool

Neo Member
Hey there. Trying to find the timing on both perfect guarding and perfect attacking. I see that golden aura thing sometimes while experimenting but it just seems inconsistent for some reason. Canceling is also an issue, seem to get locked into attacking quite a bit when I want to guard.

Any tips?

Keep feeding it. There are four Yeuls flowers out there (north, on the opposite direction of the camp. south, right next to the small farm. west, in the far western parts of the woods. east, where the chocobo eater boss was. Yeuls flowers spawn once every 23 hours and 59 minutes.
This. As far as the "keep feeding it" part, you can give keep giving it the same item/greens/milk over and over if you have extras, they all work. If you don't have extras, go back to the quest givers who initially offer chocobo healing items as quest rewards, they'll often give you more if you gather the materials again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey there. Trying to find the timing on both perfect guarding and perfect attacking. I see that golden aura thing sometimes while experimenting but it just seems inconsistent for some reason. Canceling is also an issue, seem to get locked into attacking quite a bit when I want to guard.

Any tips?
Perfect blocking is 100% consistent, try doing it on easy enemies first (the ancient greek Anubis guys) and go from there.

When it comes to perfect attacking, it's different depending on if you're using melee or magic. For PHYSICAL ATTACKS, you push the next ability right before your current ability hits the enemies. For MAGIC ATTACKS, you push the next ability before you "cast" the spell out.

With cancelling, make sure to confirm how many attacks are actually in your combo. If your regular "Attack" is a 6 hit combo, cancel it out before the last one (fifth attack). At this point you've got two choices, you can either switch paradigm and continue another set of abilities (make sure it's NOT the regular attack-ability), OR you could stay on the same paradigm if you have ATB for it, and continue with other abilities.

So basically, attack until you reach the second final attack, then switch to something that isn't that same ability. You can simply go from using attack five times, then use fire one time, then go back and attack another five times.

J.D

Does anyone know where can I find the rare forge?
I havent been able to find it not even once, but I want those garbs.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
But I'm really really really liking seeing the characters I loved throughout the series..

Alot of care went into creating their final stories. As a fan of these characters and previous story's arcs I must say I'm really loving how they're handling them for their last time. They've been with me for such a long time that from a student in 2006 I'm now a full-fledged worker; everything changed on my part yet they're still with me, for one final time. Saying goodbye to each of them is really an emotional journey. It's obvious the authors love them too because everyone of them is treated with delicacy and care.

JerkShep

Has someone beaten Aeronite on Normal/first playthrough? I managed to stagger him four times but I simply can't damage him enough in the last stage, even Artemis Pierce is not enough. I guess you could kill him spamming enough Ether and Overclock but is seems kind of cheap.

One more thing: how does Aeronite compare to the boss in the final lair? Easier or harder?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Man, the
Chocobo Eater that invades the Wildlands camp after completing the temple
is kicking my ass. I've done pretty well up to this point. I'm gonna have to restructure my techniques and go after him guns blazing. This guy is much harder than even
Caius

He is very hard. I never managed to stagger him (I'm sure there's a way, but my -ga spells weren't enough, even though they're rated A for stagger capability), but I finally defeated him after using the setup at the link below (you basically need a schema and accessory that makes you almost, if not entirely immune, to physical damage - you don't even need to dodge once you switch to that gear).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/681990-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/68569270

Yoshichan

Has someone beaten Aeronite on Normal/first playthrough? I managed to stagger him four times but I simply can't damage him enough in the last stage, even Artemis Pierce is not enough, after a. I guess you could kill him spamming enough Ether and Overclock but is seems kind of cheap.

One more thign: how does Aeronite compare to the boss in the final lair? Easier or harder?
Final lair as in final boss in the optional dungeon or the final boss in the game? Aeronite is easier than the boss in the optional dungeon and MUCH harder than the final boss in the game.

Terra_Ex

Thanks, I'll keep on searching for more later today.

Alot of care went into creating their final stories. As a fan of these characters and previous story's arcs I must say I'm really loving how they're handling them for their last time. They've been with me for such a long time that from a student in 2006 I'm now a full-fledged worker; everything changed on my part yet they're still with me, for one final time. Saying goodbye to each of them is really an emotional journey. It's obvious the authors love them too because everyone of them is treated with delicacy and care.

...Did you just describe Mass Effect 3?

Mesharey

Final lair as in final boss in the optional dungeon or the final boss in the game? Aeronite is easier than the boss in the optional dungeon and MUCH harder than the final boss in the game.
Optional dungeon, do you mean ultimate dungeon?

I think I found my mistake with the final boss, it seems when I use "Army of one" it resets stagger bar.

Yoshichan

Optional dungeon, do you mean ultimate dungeon?

I think I found my mistake with the final boss, it seems when I use "Army of one" it resets stagger bar.
Yeah the ultimate dungeon.

And don't use Army of One no matter what. It's absolute shit in this, compared to XIII.

I'm not sure if you're doing this on purpose or not to elicit a reaction, but I'm going to pretend you're serious for a moment - you don't honestly believe this, do you?

Let's take meeting (early-ish game spoilers, Wildlands old character)
Sazh, for example. You think meeting him for the first time is treated with delicacy and care? He hasn't seen Lightning in 500 years. He grumbles 5-10 words about his son being in a coma and then leaves.

If you connect with this kind of cardboard cutout, more power to you, I guess.

Kind of off topic but it's a good place to ask, I imported FFXIII-2, found it cheap on ebay and I find the cover/spine of the game to be gorgeous. If I buy DLC on an NA account, will it work with this version of the game? Just not sure if DLC is region specific.

Also does anyone remember if playing on easy mode affects trophies in XIII-2?

Zafir

Kind of off topic but it's a good place to ask, I imported FFXIII-2, found it cheap on ebay and I find the cover/spine of the game to be gorgeous. If I buy DLC on an NA account, will it work with this version of the game? Just not sure if DLC is region specific.

Also does anyone remember if playing on easy mode affects trophies in XIII-2?
DLC is not region free no. You would need to create an account of the region you got it from, and download the DLC from that.

As for difficulty, there isn't any trophy's related to difficulty, so you could just put it on easy. That said I believe you don't get drop bonuses.

DLC is not region free no. You would need to create an account of the region you got it from, and download the DLC from that.

As for difficulty, there isn't any trophy's related to difficulty, so you could just put it on easy. That said I believe you don't get drop bonuses.

HeelPower

BgtVC1VCYAA1OLw.jpg

High summoner Yuna Farron heading into the temple.

I already completed this part but I am gonna write more about wildlands when I finish everything.

Pretty awesome so far.

Yoshichan

^ Peak of the game. Final dungeon-like elements, final dungeon-like dialog, final dungeon-like music.

That part was 10/10. Too bad about everything else.

JerkShep

Sorry I meant in comparison to the optional boss of the Ultimate Lair. Well, damn. Any suggestion on how to do damage fast after the fourth stagger?

frequency

People give you a lot of grief but so far I agree.

I've only
saved Snow
so I don't know how the rest of the encounters with these characters will be, but if that scene was any indication I really look forward to the rest.

I see a lot of love and care going into these characters too and I get so much out of their interactions that I don't get elsewhere. There is just so much depth in the relationships to me and seeing it this last time to end the trilogy is really nice.

The only unfortunate part for me so far is I just don't like the actual gameplay in LR to reach those scenes. I would rather there was more focus on the character interactions but I understand why there isn't... People have not been kind to these characters but there has been praise of the combat system over all three games.

Yoshichan

All that's fair but hating on the music is where I draw the line.
I consider XIII-2 to have the best OST of last gen... and XIII was fantastic as well. But LR is a mess, with re-used music and TOO cluttery. Like, depending on the time and what zone in that particular map you're in, you'll be hearing different variations of battle music. It's fucking crazy, they needed to chill out for abit and focus more on streamlining the music - making it more memorable (like in previous FF-games).

I consider XIII-2 to have the best OST of last gen... and XIII was fantastic as well. But LR is a mess, with re-used music and TOO cluttery. Like, depending on the time and what zone in that particular map you're in, you'll be hearing different variations of battle music. It's fucking crazy, they needed to chill out for abit and focus more on streamlining the music - making it more memorable (like in previous FF-games).

Don't really feel that way at all, I love the variation, and the main themes established in the first game are there so I don't agree that it isn't "memorable." Also most of the tracks are incredibly atmospheric and just downright beautiful.

But to each his own. :)

Balphon

Well, I just killed the last Reaver and while the weapon it drops is quite good, it looks so freaking ridiculous that I don't want to use it.

Yoshichan

Well, I just killed the last Reaver and while the weapon it drops is quite good, it looks so freaking ridiculous that I don't want to use it.

Hey, at least you took the weapon! The Omega Reaver was my first Omega that I encountered and completely missed the drop on the ground, fucking up my chances of getting the weapon :lol Needless to say, that pissed the shit out of me when I realized that Omega enemies dropped stuff.

Balphon

Hey, at least you took the weapon! The Omega Reaver was my first Omega that I encountered and completely missed the drop on the ground, fucking up my chances of getting the weapon :lol Needless to say, that pissed the shit out of me when I realized that Omega enemies dropped stuff.

Same thing happened to me with the first last one I killed (Miniflan), but luckily I randomly backtracked over that area and noticed the thing on the ground in time to pick it up.

And look on the bright side: you saved yourself from having to look at this shiny pink monstrosity of a sword.

Yoshichan

Same thing happened to me with the first last one I killed, but luckily I randomly backtracked over that area and noticed the thing on the ground in time to pick it up.

And look on the bright side: you saved yourself from having to look at this shiny pink monstrosity of a sword.
Yeah the disappears after you head back to the Arc.

Oh I was wearing other shitty pink looking weapons instead :p The boneshatterer or whatever from the Omega Skeletons.

Balphon

Yeah the disappears after you head back to the Arc.

Oh I was wearing other shitty pink looking weapons instead :p The boneshatterer or whatever from the Omega Skeletons.

Man, there's more of these things? Ick. I wish you could change the color of weapons as well as garbs.

Zafir

I'm not sure what possessed them to make them bright pink, outside of laziness of course. I genuinely thought my game was screwing up, because that's the kind of effect you get on PC games when the texture hasn't loaded in. Or maybe that's the point? :|

Yoshichan

Man, there's more of these things? Ick. I wish you could change the color of weapons as well as garbs.
Every weapon dropped from an Omega creature is pink like that :lol

Carbonox

All main quests done, nearly ever side quest done, finishing up a bunch of canvas stuff.

Only on day 7. hehehehe man what am I gonna do for the rest of the time. :lol

Every weapon dropped from an Omega creature is pink like that :lol

Such a disappointment that. Absolutely ridiculous. I'd pay for DLC just to get colour options on them. :lol

The only one I have is the one from the Omega Skeleton. The normal version of it is mean looking.

Ricker

I think I am done with this game...not even coming close to beating the Yusnaan Boss,with full health,full recovery items and 6 EP and I am sure as hell not starting over on easy...

Alright GAF, I've done all main quests and a shit ton of side-quests. Is there anything vital I have to do before Day 13? Or is it just fetch quests and errand bullshit until the endgame rolls around? Are the pink 'Last One' monsters worth doing? Someone give me bullet points of shit I have to/should/can do. I'm playing on Easy, but completely blind with no guide.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The ruins in Dead Dunes need to die. These time doors, ugh.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wait, Falk worked on the soundtrack?

He was sound engineer on the Boston recordings I think. (Unless I mixed some stuff up)

Essentially other than Crimson Blitz which was done last year, I was at every recording session related to Masashi Hamauzu's music and then his personal mix engineer for Lightning Returns, as I'm attached to the Video Game Orchestra. Even the electronic-heavy stuff like Luxerion's mid-day and midnight music ended up on my hard disks for a mix pass. Some things are still NDA territory but feel free to ask me stuff about the process.

I'm not a Square Enix employee though and I'm not gonna disguise my views on the game, for better or for worse. :3

Alright GAF, I've done all main quests and a shit ton of side-quests. Is there anything vital I have to do before Day 13? Or is it just fetch quests and errand bullshit until the endgame rolls around? Are the pink 'Last One' monsters worth doing? Someone give me bullet points of shit I have to/should/can do. I'm playing on Easy, but completely blind with no guide.

You need X by the game's end (I've heard the numbers 43 and 50 thrown around) sidequests to unlock an optional dungeon that has every single remaining Last One followed by an optional boss.

Other than that, yes, it's pretty much fetch quests. If you intend to platinum the game you also need at least 30 accessories, as upgrading them requires essentially re-finding them in NG+ (and you need 30 for the trophy)

The ruins in Dead Dunes need to die. These time doors, ugh.

I didn't mind the timed doors so much as the fact that it stacked on top of a completely obtuse and unnecessary multilayered layout that's a mess just for the sake of being a mess. :( Only area of the game I had a major gameplay beef with, really.

Top Bottom