• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

On Day 3, going inside the Warren.

The gameplay is pretty fun so far. Not having levels though makes me worried that I'll find myself in an unwinnable situation because I misspent days. I was having a really hard time against Zomok until I got the item that increased Wind resistance. Dunno if it's supposed to be that way.

Just picked up the game. Looking forward to see how this mess ends....I'm actually a fan of Lightning.

Any tips (non spoilers) for beginners?

Well...

Abuse Chronostasis if you are someone that worries about time.

Yeah, pretty much. As someone who was really concerned about the time limit (so much so that I didn't get the game), it's really not been that bad. Enemies generally give enough EP so you'll be able to use chronostasis a lot (Chronostasis = freezes time for a short while; it's not long, but it's enough; this is different from "Overclock" which freezes time only in battle). A lot of the time, you won't even want to use it because you need more time to pass to continue missions and such. When you progress a story mission to the point where it asks you to wait until night time or whatever, don't just fast forward. Either do sidequests in that area while waiting or leave it and progress the main story in other areas (just make sure you come back to the first area at night time).

If you are concerned about the time limit still, I would recommend using a guide such as this one. I don't normally use guides on my first playthrough, but I am with this game... well, at least somewhat. When I find a sidequest, I'll consult the very handy maps that guide has or if the main quest is too vague on what I need to do, I'll look at the maps as well (on the page, looks for texts that say "Map of the Next Tasks" or whatever). I don't read the text all that often on that site, but the maps have been truly invaluable since some of the quests don't offer much help in the way of where to go or what to do. If the game had no time limit, I wouldn't use a guide, but oh well.

Also, I'd recommend doing most sidequests you run across - the npcs will have stars above their head if they have a quest for you to do. They give gil, sometimes garbs, and upgrade your stats. The Canvas of Prayers quests (Chocolina is in charge of them) are not quite as important. They give minimal gil, stat increases, and adornments usually, but there's no reason to avoid them doing if you have the materials/items they require.

rataven

Welp, I just got my butt handed to me by the Wildlands boss. I went in to it all confident and cool because I haven't found any other boss fight up to that point challenging and really how hard could this purple leathered and feathered dweeb be?!

Joke's on me. I couldn't even see what was going on in that battle. What a mess.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Finally put the game away. I never got around to beating the Last Boss + and the super bosses on Hard Mode, but I really need to move on to Bravely Default. Platinum Trophy and a full bestiary are enough for now.

zeopower6

Welp, I just got my butt handed to me by the Wildlands boss. I went in to it all confident and cool because I haven't found any other boss fight up to that point challenging and really how hard could this purple leathered and feathered dweeb be?!

Joke's on me. I couldn't even see what was going on in that battle. What a mess.

He's one tough cookie. :<

sonto340

I've been casually strolling through this game, trying to do most of the side quests as they came up, and I've really been enjoying it. The stat boosts given to you by side quests is a perfect motivation to do them, especially with the removal of a traditional level system.
The story has been about as good as I expected, though I've been enjoying any scene with Lumina more than I thought I would.

My question for you gaf, is that I just finished up the story missions and I'm on day 10. Is there anything super important I need to be doing before the end of the world? Or should I just tie up any side quests I haven't already finished?
Can I unlock the final dungeon on my first play through? Or is it strictly a NG+ thing?

Garland7G

I've been casually strolling through this game, trying to do most of the side quests as they came up, and I've really been enjoying it. The stat boosts given to you by side quests is a perfect motivation to do them, especially with the removal of a traditional level system.
The story has been about as good as I expected, though I've been enjoying any scene with Lumina more than I thought I would.

My question for you gaf, is that I just finished up the story missions and I'm on day 10. Is there anything super important I need to be doing before the end of the world? Or should I just tie up any side quests I haven't already finished?
Can I unlock the final dungeon on my first play through? Or is it strictly a NG+ thing?

I'm about to start up day 12. What I've done was finish up all main, side, and canvas quests. After that, I started killing monsters into extinction so that the
ultimate
dungeon would be easier.

sonto340

I'm about to start up day 12. What I've done was finish up all main, side, and canvas quests. After that, I started killing monsters into extinction so that the
ultimate
dungeon would be easier.
I met the Last Researcher and ran into my first Omega monster today. I'll probably spend most of time finishing off monsters until the end :p
Howany side quests do I need to finish? I've gotten the Angel of Salvation trophy. Do I need many more to get to the final day?

What's the best place to kill Niblets or whatever they are called? It's for that quest "Free Will" where you have to kill the Omega/Last One of Niblet.

Tohsaka

All the dungeons and everything are available in your first playthrough, including the Ultimate Lair.

Garland7G

I met the Last Researcher and ran into my first Omega monster today. I'll probably spend most of time finishing off monsters until the end :p
Howany side quests do I need to finish? I've gotten the Angel of Salvation trophy. Do I need many more to get to the final day?

Well, I don't think it goes by the amount of quests done. According to the guide, to get the extra day you need a total of (1.0) for side quests only (canvas not included). Each quest has 1-3 star rating.
1 star=.02
2 star=.04
3 star=.08
to get the extra day you must total (1.0)

having said that, I've done 60 side quests and 80 canvas quests and still haven't gotten the day. According to the guide, if you meet the requirements the extra day should appear after you end day 12.

Cheska

Where does it say how many side quests you've completed? Or is there no progress meter outside of physically counting down in the Quests tab? I just slept through 7 days and the 14th day unlocked for me.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Where does it say how many side quests you've completed? Or is there no progress meter outside of physically counting down in the Quests tab? I just slept through 7 days and the 14th day unlocked for me.
Go to Quests in the menu and you'll see it on the right.

HawthorneKitty

Oof, it's daunting trying to obtain CP in Hard; I wonder if time will be an issue now with Teleport being 3 CP...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm on day 11 now I think, and have done almost every quest available to me. Got a couple piddling little ones here and there left, and then the Aeronite and "kill all Last Ones" quests. Pretty sure I won't be bothering with that last one, but I'll give Aeronite a try tomorrow I guess, though I don't have a great feeling about how it'll go. I don't see myself getting any stronger at this point, unless I shell out like 360,000gil for a new sword and ha ha no thank you, this ridiculous pink Reaver Omega sword will do for now.

Garland7G

Oof, it's daunting trying to obtain CP in Hard; I wonder if time will be an issue now with Teleport being 3 CP...

Teleport has always been 3 C..wait, you are talking about EP right? or is it called CP in the Japanese version?

Edit: I got beat up

1621792_1422784047969658_62197762_n.jpg

Easy mode might of been too easy for me.

Basically finished everything outside of the 4 day 9 quests by day 7. Not much else to do other than gain some gil through mass extinction.

HawthorneKitty

Teleport has always been 3 C..wait, you are talking about EP right? or is it called CP in the Japanese version?

Edit: I got beat up
Yeah, EP, sorry, I think it's time for me to stop playing for the day. Hopefully some Pokemon comes on soon.

Cheska

:O :O :O :O Beat the final boss on my second try AND five starred him!

Some tips for anyone still having trouble or wanting to get a better score:

First of all, if you haven't already you should really complete the four trials in order to get the Ultimate Weapon and Sword.

Initially I had my main schemata a primary debuffer but after I lost the first time and realized the final form is immune to everything I said screw that! SO, here's what I did:

First two forms of Bhunivelze: Cast deprotega and then spam away with attack. Guard, deprotect, attack, rinse and repeat. I literally took both forms down in a matter of minutes using this strategy.

That set up will work for the third form as well, but he gets more aggressive so I'd throw in some magic now and then.

For the fourth form, make sure you have thunder/aero spells in every single schemata. SAVE YOUR OVERCLOCK! As soon as the fourth stage begins, start overclock 1-2 times and spam away with your thunder and aero spells, once that's over just continuously scroll through your schematas hitting him with all this magic before your ATB runs out and he will stagger super quickly. Once staggered, activate overclock a few times and take him down with physical attacks. BAM!

jrush64

Banned
So I just finished gathering fireworks and watching the show. But am I the only one who actually likes Lightning in this game. She just seems so much.... nicer. Not as grumpy as she was in Final Fantasy XIII.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... What are the best garbs, weapons, and shields and how do you get them?

I must be progressing fast in the game, I'm just in day 4 and I completed all the main missions.

HawthorneKitty

So I just finished gathering fireworks and watching the show. But am I the only one who actually likes Lightning in this game. She just seems so much.... nicer. Not as grumpy as she was in Final Fantasy XIII.
I like Lightning more than you do.

Does Aeronite get stronger if you wait until later on to fight him? Like Day 10+? I know he spawns on Day 7 from what I read.

And question about the
Ultimate Dungeon
. I'm nowhere near there yet (still on Day 6), but would people recommend going on each floor to kill the Last One and get more of those items they drop? Or just skip 3 floors down every time (minus stopping for treasure chests on certain floors). Like, is there enough time in the day to go to every floor and still have time to beat the boss at the end?

Zafir

Does Aeronite get stronger if you wait until later on to fight him? Like Day 10+? I know he spawns on Day 7 from what I read.

And question about the
Ultimate Dungeon
. I'm nowhere near there yet (still on Day 6), but would people recommend going on each floor to kill the Last One and get more of those items they drop? Or just skip 3 floors down every time (minus stopping for treasure chests on certain floors). Like, is there enough time in the day to go to every floor and still have time to beat the boss at the end?
Well, I'm on Day 13 now, I beat Aeronite before I did the Ultimate Lair which I lost about 5-10 in game mins on, not much (Skipped through the help text telling me where it was located so I got lost finding the entrance, hah!). Then in Ultimate Lair, I skipped floors, and got to the last floor by 11AM. Consequently, you easily have enough time to do all the floors. Whether the drops are worth it? Depends on whether you plan on doing a hard mode run I guess.

Edit: Beat the boss, and the clocks at 2:30PM, so yeah, easily enough time to do all of it. I could have probably beaten that boss quicker with better preparation as well. Had used all my good items on Aeronite. xD

Ah thanks for the info! Should have plenty of time to do every floor if I want to (not sure yet really, but having multiples of some items might be handy). I probably won't do Hard mode anytime soon as I have lots of other games to play, but down the road, maybe.

Garland7G

And question about the
Ultimate Dungeon

I would try to make all the enemies (or as many as you can) extinct before even going into that place. That way you won't have to fight them again in the Ultimate dungeon (where they will be harder) and you can quickly go thru each floor and by the time you're done you should have that quest where you need to make all last ones extinct. I had plenty of time by day 10-11

Zafir

I would try to make all the enemies (or as many as you can) extinct before even going into that place. That way you won't have to fight them again in the Ultimate dungeon (where they will be harder) and you can quickly go thru each floor and by the time you're done you should have that quest where you need to make all last ones extinct. I had plenty of time by day 10-11
Meh, unless you actually like grinding and killing 30-100 of each mob, I don't really think that's necessary outside maybe the big ones and the Skeles/Niblets for the 2 quests. Cyclops/Chocobo Eater/Behemoth you may want to take out before you go in if only because you could potentially lose a bit of time on them.

Well, once I run out of sidequests, I probably will start going around killing enemies to extinct them just for something to do, lol.

Just to clarify how it works - when you finish Day 12, and Day 13 starts, is that the day you'd do that optional dungeon (assuming you did enough sidequests)? And then Day 14 is story stuff?

Garland7G

Well, once I run out of sidequests, I probably will start going around killing enemies to extinct them just for something to do, lol.

Just to clarify how it works - when you finish Day 12, and Day 13 starts, is that the day you'd do that optional dungeon (assuming you did enough sidequests)? And then Day 14 is story stuff?

Yup. By the time you get around that point you will be out of quests (assuming you're using chronostasis regularly) so you can either hunt or sleep at the inn. I chose to hunt ;)

Yup. By the time you get around that point you will be out of quests (assuming you're using chronostasis regularly) so you can either hunt or sleep at the inn. I chose to hunt ;)

Gotcha, good to know.

And yeah, I'll probably be hunting, lol. I've been trying to hold off on extincting any enemies so I can get better drops on Day 7+.

Zafir

Yep. It tells you at the end of Day 12, in the ark, whether you did enough side quests to get the extra day. It then gives you an option of whether you want to go straight to the Ultimate Lair, or go elsewhere on that day. As I mentioned I personally did Aeronite before doing the Ultimate Lair, but that can be left for NG+.

Yep. It tells you at the end of Day 12, in the ark, whether you did enough side quests to get the extra day. It then gives you an option of whether you want to go straight to the Ultimate Lair, or go elsewhere on that day. As I mentioned I personally did Aeronite before doing the Ultimate Lair, but that can be left for NG+.

Ah, I see. I will probably try to do Aeronite prior to Day 13.

One more question (for now! :p), since you can only do Hard mode after you beat the game once, does that mean all the enemies (not just bosses) have been rebalanced for you having a lot more strength/magic/HP? Or will you go around one-shotting enemies?

Zafir

Ah, I see. I will probably try to do Aeronite prior to Day 13.

One more question (for now! :p), since you can only do Hard mode after you beat the game once, does that mean all the enemies (not just bosses) have been rebalanced for you having a lot more strength/magic/HP? Or will you go around one-shotting enemies?
I only did it on Day 13, because some of your garbs get an update on that day so I figured they may be useful.

From what I understand, you won't one shot enemies on hard mode, but the difficulty might not be as steep as the going straight into Normal on your first play through. That's only what I've read though, I won't be doing an hard mode run myself. I've got too big of a backpile for that!

Incidentally, further on the Ultimate Lair, after beating Ereshkigal, you can go back into the Ultimate Lair and finish the rest off which is nice. That's what I'm doing now since I don't have much better to do with the rest of day 13. :p

Top Bottom