• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Garland7G

Aeronite is killing me. After a few more attempts, I think I'll just skip him for now and complete the game. If I do that, is it possible to return to the fight after I get say, the ultima weapon? Or will I have to wait for day 7 of a NG+ to face him again?

Well, I just finished Day 7 and have beat all the main story missions. Guess I'll finish up any sidequests I have left (I have finished a lot of them already - 51 or something). I feel like they didn't include enough main story missions in the game... they all feel way too short and not a lot happens in each quest.
Sazh's story
quest was incredibly disappointing... there wasn't even a boss. It was just going around collecting 5 items and returning to him for a cutscene. Definitely the worst one of the bunch. And why doesn't
Vanille and Hope
get a story mission? I assume they get more screen time on the final day, but should have been like the other characters. This game has an interesting concept, but the game just feels so rushed and unfinished.

That said, I'm still enjoying it as I play, so that's something. Part of me wants to just skip to the final day so I can finally end the series, I dunno.

Stuck on day 2. How the shit is this game so difficult so early? The previous two Lightning games were the exact opposite of this in terms of difficulty; too much hand holding.
The chocobo eater takes 90% of my health bar unless I land a perfect guard on his chomp ability. I'm using Rouge, Etro, Savior schemta right now. I try to stagger the damn thing, but after the intial burst it is nearly impossible to stagger him a second time. Am I completely missing something to the combat?

Stuck on day 2. How the shit is this game so difficult so early? The previous two Lightning games were the exact opposite of this in terms of difficulty; too much hand holding.
The chocobo eater takes 90% of my health bar unless I land a perfect guard on his chomp ability. I'm using Rouge, Etro, Savior schemta right now. I try to stagger the damn thing, but after the intial burst it is nearly impossible to stagger him a second time. Am I completely missing something to the combat?

Have you finished Luxerion and Yusnaan yet? Those are typically easier than Wildlands and, combined with some side quests, will serve to increase your stats to make that fight easier on you.

I fully explored Luxerion, but couldn't find any of the symbols required to stop the sacrifices at night. Haven't visited Yusanaan yet.

Zafir

I fully explored Luxerion, but couldn't find any of the symbols required to stop the sacrifices at night. Haven't visited Yusanaan yet.
Talk to people, it actually comes up on the map when you talk to someone and they say they saw a weird number. One is also in the Warren, as mentioned above.

I would recommend waiting to do the Wildlands until you at least do
Noel's and Snow's story.

If you need help finding the 4 numbers, here's a map. The one in the Warren is only available at night, though (midnight and later).

Shahed

I hate the Temple in the Dead Dunes. Its not hard at all, and I'm not even remotely worried about the lost time. It's just the waiting pisses me off. It's annoying!

Mesharey

Aeronite is killing me. After a few more attempts, I think I'll just skip him for now and complete the game. If I do that, is it possible to return to the fight after I get say, the ultima weapon? Or will I have to wait for day 7 of a NG+ to face him again?
NG+.

Szadek

Ultima weapon is only for the final boss and maybe the last day only last ones, but honestly,you don't need it.
Upgraded rank 4 and 5 weapons are better than ulima.

I hate the Temple in the Dead Dunes. Its not hard at all, and I'm not even remotely worried about the lost time. It's just the waiting pisses me off. It's annoying!

I actually expected to hate it a lot more. Maybe it was because I was using a map when I went in there (after hearing how horrible it was, I wanted to reduce some of the issues with the layout). I don't know if I was just lucky, but I didn't end up having to wait that long most of the time. If I saw a door I needed to get into was locked, I would just continue on and progress the dungeon until the hour changed, then I'd go back.

-----

Can someone explain to me the point of
Odin's weapon - Gagnrad?
I love how it looks, but it has -90% Stagger Power and -50% Strength. I just don't see when it would be useful just by looking at the stats (it has decent ATB recovery rate, but is it worth the sucky other stats?).

EDIT: It apparently attacks twice per round? Is it still worth using? The -90% stagger power would mean you wouldn't be able to use that weapon to help stagger at all I'd imagine.

sonto340

-----

Odin's weapon - Gagnrad?
I love how it looks, but it has -90% Stagger Power and -50% Strength. I just don't see when it would be useful just by looking at the stats (it has decent ATB recovery rate, but is it worth the sucky other stats?).

EDIT: It apparently attacks twice per round? Is it still worth using? The -90% stagger power would mean you wouldn't be able to use that weapon to help stagger at all I'd imagine.
Since magic attacks are usually more for staggering that would be a useful weapon if it didn't also reduce strength by 50%. I feel like double attack and halving your attack stat cancel each other out :
It just seems totally useless to me too.

For some reason I spent a lot of time in the Wildlands before going to Yusnaan.

The only quests I have left in Luxerion are the ones that require multiple days and Luxerion. Definitely going to Yusnaan when I start the game up tomorrow. Hopefully I can finish the story quests there pretty quickly.

It's amazing how much time you really have when you use Chronostasis.

Alvarez

Banned
Since magic attacks are usually more for staggering that would be a useful weapon if it didn't also reduce strength by 50%. I feel like double attack and halving your attack stat cancel each other out :
It just seems totally useless to me too.

One could argue that it is meant for enemies you do not intend to stagger (such as Miniflans), but I think it's just more poor design. The game is full of useless abilities, schematas, equips and accessories. If the game did have QA, it was minimal.

Adaren

Just hit my first 999,999 against the Omega Cyclops inside a Chaos Infusion. This game really does reward you for paying attention to enemies and identifying their weaknesses and patterns. At first I was having trouble getting the Cyclops below 2/3 health, but after a few changes to me schemata and a little practice with Evade he went down in barely over a minute!

These desperate defenses of combo finales confuse me.

The Stagger Wave bonus of finales is moot because the length of the animation is outweighed by the potential stagger that is gained by skipping the finale animation. While guarding can shorten animations, the required ATB cost (and/or the mere presence of Light Guard in one's schemata) makes it not as effective as simply foregoing the finale.

Certainly, some finales are useful in extremely specific scenarios, but the reality is that they are not nearly as useful as they were intended to be, as is suggested by the various tutorials and finale-centered accessories throughout the game. No amount of "but finales are great if you're wearing this accessory and this schemata and you're on this boss and he's already staggered and he's currently vulnerable to fire and you're only using ranged magic spells and" justification is going to save LR's combo finale, I'm afraid.

I'll ask you to be polite and refrain from the ad hominems. None of us are desparate or giving heavily qualified arguments. I'm not unwaveringly dedicated to my understanding of the game's balance, though I do have confidence in it because of the evidence I've seen. I provided numbers and you said that the source was inaccurate without any justification. I realize Lightning Returns is a sensitive topic for a lot of people, but hopefully we can theorycraft about playstyles with some civility.

Yeah: Do you have a webcam or camera? Take a photo of the page that lists the stats of Flare for me, or just tell us what the guide says about Flare.

(SPOILERS for Wildlands boss identity)Here's a picture of the Flare ability data. Columns, from left to right, are:

Name, Base ATB, Hits, Level, Price, Power/Hit, Power Increment, Synthesis to Max Pow, Max Pow/Hit, Malistone, ATB Reduction/Level, Unlockable Auto-Ability, Unlock Chance, Drop Source, Drop Rank, Drop Rate, Variation, Finale Trigger, Finale Mod., Timing Bonus, Stagger Power (Finale), Stagger Time (Finale), Cut (Finale), Keep (Finale), Aerial

Any unfamiliar terms have the same meaning that they did in XIII/XIII-2.

Didn't know about the bonuses to combo finishers till midway through the game. I still think they should have sped up the animation though; it just really kills the pacing of battles. I wonder if the long animations are artificial ways of letting your garbs' ATB bars load. It would definitely explain why I had so much trouble keeping healthy amounts of ATB in long battles, since I cancelled my combos almost every time.

They're definitely more ATB efficient. If you're having ATB problems, I wouldn't recommend skipping them.

Odin's weapon - Gagnrad?

The 50% Strength and double hits supposedly become more useful as you approach the damage cap (where a single large hit might "lose" damage). The ATB recovery makes it good for Schematas that don't have any Staggering abilities (e.g. one that's focused on defense and debuffs). As I mentioned on the last page, it's also easier to get "Just" attacks with (or at least that's my experience, not sure if others have different findings).

I personally use it on a Schemata with Heavy Guard/Deprotect/Light Slash/Heavy Slash. The garb is mostly focused on defense, so I like to keep my ATB high so that I can block at any time. Light Slash is there to set up the Just attack for Heavy Slash, which also makes the garb able to quickly burn ATB at an efficient rate, allowing me to both deal heavy damage and keep my ATB high for the aforementioned guarding.

abrack08

Ugh, I cannot beat (Wildlands, main quest 3-3 boss)
Caius.
I don't have any healing abilities, I only have 2 potions, and even when I guard his stuff does a crap ton of damage. I can get him to about 1/3 of his health but that's it. I've done a majority of the sidequests in Yusnaan and Luxerion and beat both of the main quests, seems unreasonable to be struggling so much. I really don't want to waste all the time to backtrack out of the dungeon and then waste MORE time coming back later.

Caius.
I don't have any healing abilities, I only have 2 potions, and even when I guard his stuff does a crap ton of damage. I can get him to about 1/3 of his health but that's it. I've done a majority of the sidequests in Yusnaan and Luxerion and beat both of the main quests, seems unreasonable to be struggling so much. I really don't want to waste all the time to backtrack out of the dungeon and then waste MORE time coming back later.

That should really be the last of the main quests that you tackle. You'll gather up a good bit of strength, equipment and abilities by doing all of the other main quests before attempting that fight. And remember to abuse the shit out of chronostasis in the meantime.

sonto340

Caius.
If you leave the dungeon there's a warp to the boss fight at the entrance, so there's not that much back tracking involved. If you dont have any healing g items you should go back to Poltae and stock up. If you're low on EP there's an Alpha Florian that spawns near there that grants 2 EP. That fight with
Caius
much easier if you're properly stocked for it. The dungeon is designed to wear you down.
I had a hard time too. I finally decided to backtrack and was shocked to see the warp at the entrance. Very unlike this game honestly :p

Zafir

If you leave the dungeon there's a warp to the boss fight at the entrance, so there's not that much back tracking involved. If you dont have any healing g items you should go back to Poltae and stock up. If you're low on EP there's an Alpha Florian that spawns near there that grants 2 EP. That fight with
Caius
much easier if you're properly stocked for it. The dungeon is designed to wear you down.
I had a hard time too. I finally decided to backtrack and was shocked to see the warp at the entrance. Very unlike this game honestly :p
It's worth noting you have to escape from the boss for that shortcut to appear. If you run back without fighting and running, it won't appear.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I have a question about Hope if anyone can help me understanding:
when the real Hope died? Am I wrong it could be so far in the past that even happened long before we met the adult-version of him in XIII-2? Afterall him calling the new Ark "Bhunivelze" at the end of the second title is suspicious enough to think that he was already a puppet in God's hands. That would also explain why now he looks also young when he appears from chaos at the ending parts of LR to Lightning. because he died young...

Alvarez

Banned
)Here's a picture of the Flare ability data.

Thank you. Do you believe that Flare's Power per Hit, as described in this book and in the in-game description, is accurate (even in the best case scenario, where Lightning is at 1 HP and the enemy is fire and magic-vulnerable)? If it is not accurate, then the rest of the guide is suspect, especially considering the Stagger Wave is such a vague thing (unlike FF13 and 13-2's Stagger Bar).

Even when one gives the strategy guide the benefit of the doubt, it's obvious that the combo finale's animation time is more than double the time that would be required to use a different instant cast ability, rendering the combo finale's potential stagger power per second lesser than other options.

I absolutely agree that combo finales are worthwhile when you're running out of ATB, but running out of ATB is typically a doomsday scenario indicative of poor schemata, poor equipment, and/or poor resource management.

If I were planning a "low ATB" challenge run I would take advantage of the combo finale, but typical players in a typical playthrough will find that the combo finale does more harm than good, and I consider that a design flaw.

Alvarez

Banned
I have a question about Hope if anyone can help me understanding[/SPOILER]

The real (adult) Hope got kidnapped by Bhunivelze 169 years prior to the beginning of LR. Bhunivelze spent 169 years shaping Hope into the perfect host for God, and this included ejecting Hope's soul at some point. Bhunivelze shaped Hope back into a child because he desired a pure, innocent host free of the past.

Lightning, a god herself, reunites Hope with his soul at the end of LR, but it does not appear that she can do anything to immediately restore Hope to his adult form. Considering it took Bhunivelze 169 years to shape Hope back down into a child, this is probably a difficult endeavor, and Lightning has more important things to do at the time, such as creating a new universe/world.

I have a question about Hope if anyone can help me understanding:
when the real Hope died? Am I wrong it could be so far in the past that even happened long before we met the adult-version of him in XIII-2? Afterall him calling the new Ark "Bhunivelze" at the end of the second title is suspicious enough to think that he was already a puppet in God's hands. That would also explain why now he looks also young when he appears from chaos at the ending parts of LR to Lightning. because he died young...

That's what I've been thinking as well. It seems to make sense,it could even explain
other things Hope did in that game.

In the Japanese version,
his voice actor is the same as Hope's as well.

MCD

Ultimania LR book didn't mention anything like that going by wiki so I doubt this is what happened with Hope.

RpgN

I tried Aeronite on the 7th day and it wasn't pretty. The best I could muster was making him fed up and leave before getting the first stagger. WTF? What's the best way to beat him? Is it better to wait on the last day? I'm afraid he might be even more powerful by then. Or is it better to beat him on new game plus?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah I was listening to LR's ending in japanese just few hrs ago and it's pretty clear Bhunivelze and Hope shares the same voice actor. That is quite curious actually and I wonder what that means story-wise ~
Anyway I remember being mentioned Hope being killed 169 before yet I don't get the old Hope should've been naming Bhunivelze that new planet if the God himself wasn't already pulling his strings...

anyway the plot is really, really epic. Loved everything of it, especially how they handled Bhunivelze himself, apparently it appears just at the end but in reality it is there from the beginning guiding light step by step. Such a schemer :D

Zafir

I tried Aeronite on the 7th day and it wasn't pretty. The best I could muster was making him fed up and leave before getting the first stagger. WTF? What's the best way to beat him? Is it better to wait on the last day? I'm afraid he might be even more powerful by then. Or is it better to beat him on new game plus?
On normal I beat him on day 13, you can only do that if you do enough side quests to get the extra day though. It took me a few tries of normal but I got there. It's quite tight if you haven't got ethers(I only had one on me). If you're on easy it has 4mil less health from what I hear so it shouldn't be quite as tight.

Aerora and artemis arrow are you friends though as well as a schemata with preta hood and good defense.

Adaren

Thank you. Do you believe that Flare's Power per Hit, as described in this book and in the in-game description, is accurate (even in the best case scenario, where Lightning is at 1 HP and the enemy is fire and magic-vulnerable)? If it is not accurate, then the rest of the guide is suspect, especially considering the Stagger Wave is such a vague thing (unlike FF13 and 13-2's Stagger Bar).

Even when one gives the strategy guide the benefit of the doubt, it's obvious that the combo finale's animation time is more than double the time that would be required to use a different instant cast ability, rendering the combo finale's potential stagger power per second lesser than other options.

I absolutely agree that combo finales are worthwhile when you're running out of ATB, but running out of ATB is typically a doomsday scenario indicative of poor schemata, poor equipment, and/or poor resource management.

If I were planning a "low ATB" challenge run I would take advantage of the combo finale, but typical players in a typical playthrough will find that the combo finale does more harm than good, and I consider that a design flaw.

I'm not sure since I don't have Flare. I have no reason to suspect it, though. Does it differ from the number reported in game?

And I'm not sure it's "obvious" that a Finale's time is more than double a single attack. Watch this clip and compare. It's undoubtedly longer, but double time seems like an exaggeration. Putting the video at .25 speed and using my stopwatch and eyeballs, I'm getting the following times:

First two Thundaras: ~6 seconds
Thundara Finale: ~4 seconds
Two spells after Thundara: ~6 seconds.

I believe the guy did the world's fastest guard cancel at the end of the Thundara finale (as well as right before the first Thundara), but I'm skeptical that cut his Finale's animation by all that much. It also only cost 3 ATB, which is a pretty negligible cost, so perhaps guard cancelling is enough to justify Finales thanks to Light Block's cheap cost.

Also, double Stagger Power isn't the only benefit of Finales: -ra Finales also boast triple Stagger Preservation. Unlike previous FFXIII games, Stagger in this game is constantly decaying, which makes Stagger Preservation almost as valuable as Stagger Power, especially against enemies that have higher stagger values.

I beat him on Day 8. It wasn't easy, but it's doable. If you want to wait for NG+ then that's totally justified. Setup:

Enter the fight with 8 EP.

-Garbs and Relevant Abilities-
Soldier of Peace: Flesh Render, Resist Pain accessory, Heavy Slash, Light Slash, -ra spell
Quiet Guardian (Magic Immune): Preta Hood (+75% magic resist accessory), +10% magic resist arm accessory, Renegade shield, Heavy Guard, Deprotect, Imperil, Ruin
Helter Skelter: Chaos' Revenge, +1 Physical Finale Accessory, Resist Fog accessory, Attack Lv. 4, -ra spell, Defaith

I squeezed in as much +ATB as I could on all of the garbs.

-Items-
1 Enaero Potion, 3+ Nektar of the Gods. Ethers can also help a lot as well, though I didn't use any.

-Strategy-
Use -ra spells from Soldier of peace and Helter Skelter as much as possible in order to stagger him and build distance. Whenever a magic attack is about to hit you, swap to Quiet Guardian and throw Ruin in order to preserve your Stagger.
Magnet - Watch his animations and swap to Quiet Guardian when you think it's coming to avoid being pulled in.
Roar - If you're close to him when he Roars, use Heavy Block to avoid all of the damage.
Megaton Break - This gets more powerful after the first Stagger, so wait until he does it once before you Stagger him for the first time. Thankfully, it's easy to Perfect Block and the second half is Magic damage.
Hellflare - His most dangerous attack. As soon as you see it, apply Defaith to him (takes two applications for it to stick). Learn the timing and try to Perfect Block it to minimize the damage and you should be able to make it through the fight. It hit me for about ~5000 with a normal block and ~2000 with a perfect block. Without Defaith, it's a guaranteed kill.

After you Stagger him for the fourth time, he'll slump over and be vulnerable. This is where the DPS race starts, and it's probably the most demanding part of the fight. Some tips:
- Pop your Enaero potion immediately and get Deprotect and Imperil on him.
- Whenever you swap to Quiet Guardian, reapply your debuffs. Ruin does no damage and Heavy Guard isn't needed for this phase.
- Use Nektars frequently to keep Bravery up.
- You can squeeze out extra ATB efficiency by using Light Slash -> Artemis Arrow with good timing. Artemis Arrow will get a notable damage boost for a little extra ATB and time.
- If you almost have enough ATB for an Artemis Arrow, swap to Helter Skelter and use Attack. If SoP is completely out of ATB, use Overclock and then Attack in Helter Skelter during Overclock. End the Overclock with an Artemis Arrow when you're almost out of Overclock meter.

Sorry if this is a little scatterbrained; it's late here!

Artemis arrow is an auto-ability, right? Where or how do you unlock it? What's most annoying is his constant attacks. If most I'm doing is defending against his attacks, I don't get the time to build up the stagger meter. I had one shemata equiped with a 75% magic defence accessory and it helped out greatly, another schemata had a 75% attack defence. The third schemata was normal where I dealt most damage.

I'm playing on normal unfortunetaly. I've done 59 side quests and 70 canvas prayers. Okay, I'll give it a try again after completing most side quests and canvas prayers (except the last one side quest). Thank you!

Artemis Arrow is from the Soldier of Peace garb, which you get from a side quest in Wildlands (you can easily identify it because it's hideous). When I took down Aeronite, I probably had around your stats.

RpgN

On normal I beat him on day 13, you can only do that if you do enough side quests to get the extra day though. It took me a few tries of normal but I got there. It's quite tight if you haven't got ethers(I only had one on me). If you're on easy it has 4mil less health from what I hear so it shouldn't be quite as tight.

Aerora and artemis arrow are you friends though as well as a schemata with preta hood and good defense.

Artemis arrow is an auto-ability, right? Where or how do you unlock it? What's most annoying is his constant attacks. If most I'm doing is defending against his attacks, I don't get the time to build up the stagger meter. I had one shemata equiped with a 75% magic defence accessory and it helped out greatly, another schemata had a 75% attack defence. The third schemata was normal where I dealt most damage.

I'm playing on normal unfortunetaly. I've done 59 side quests and 70 canvas prayers. Okay, I'll give it a try again after completing most side quests and canvas prayers (except the last one side quest). Thank you!

Edit:

Adaren, thank you for putting so much effort with the description. I'll definitely try out your method as well. I'll report back afterwards.

Szadek

I suggest preta hood + runic ring + cyper jumpsuit/quite guardian for spell immunity.

genbatzu

"easiest" way to kill him is to spam aerora and thundera until 4th phase(were he lies on the ground and gets 5x dmg from every attack). for this method you need phoenix downs and ethers, top-ethers would be great.

fastest way to get top-ethers is by talking to outworld-npcs, I got ~20 top-ethers as souvenirs this way and it costs you only 5600gil a piece.
of course it depends on luck, but the more people adding top-ethers as souvenir, the easier it gets, so to keep this chain going add a top-ether as souvenir, too ;P

for this method just empty your atb bar on aerora/thundera garb and use time distillation (dunno the exact english name, playing it in german), spamming those 2 spells again. after time distilliation the atb is full again. rinse repeat until last phase.
ignore incoming damage and avoid finisher moves.
with 4 phoenix downs it is "allowed" to die once each phase, which should be enough.

in the last phase use adaero potion + courage + decourage + artemis arrow + time distillation to kill him off. He spams -ga spells now, so instead of a bit extra dmg, magic resistance is advisable.

to get artemis arrow: there is a garb, which activates this ability instead of krafthieb (heay attack). this guy shows you were to find the garb http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrUVfpcwA78

with normal equip and best buffs you easily do 150-250k damage each artemis arrow, semi-optimal damage would be ~120k.with enough top-ethers you can kill him easily

(btw: this cheap method of killing strong enemies works on all hard bosses, which is kinda lame, tbh)

btw: aeronite is called flunderdrache (flounder dragon) in german <.<

Alvarez

Banned
I'm not sure since I don't have Flare. I have no reason to suspect it, though. Does it differ from the number reported in game.

All of the elemental ultimates currently do less damage than their base counterparts (Fire, Thunder, etc.) even in the best conditions. It is presumed that the abilities are bugged in some way. Square has not addressed it yet.

Only 2 hours in, haven't really had a chance to play cuz of I've had little free time. On day 2 now. Did a few side quests and found three of the four numbers. My initial impression: who decided to put Assssins Creed in my Final Fantasy? Still too early to make a decisive impression just think it's weird seeing a western game mechanic in a final fantasy, Npcs walking around, all random like, makes Luxerion feel so artificial. Sometimes it's janky too like an Oblivion game.

Off tomorow so I'm gonna put more time into it. The clock/time management component is kinda stressful,

Szadek

Only 2 hours in, haven't really had a chance to play cuz of I've had little free time. On day 2 now. Did a few side quests and found three of the four numbers. My initial impression: who decided to put Assssins Creed in my Final Fantasy? Still too early to make a decisive impression just think it's weird seeing a western game mechanic in a final fantasy, Npcs walking around, all random like, makes Luxerion feel so artificial. Sometimes it's janky too like an Oblivion game.

Off tomorow so I'm gonna put more time into it. The clock/time management component is kinda stressful,
and everyone just stands at the same spot all day with their feet nailed to the ground isn't artificial?
Because that's the alternative.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
All of the elemental ultimates currently do less damage than their base counterparts (Fire, Thunder, etc.) even in the best conditions. It is presumed that the abilities are bugged in some way. Square has not addressed it yet.

The damage is HP dependent, ie, the less HP Lightning has, the more damage the 4 elemental spells do...

So yeah, they're useless.

Alvarez

Banned

Don't be stressed. It takes about 4-5 in-game days to do the main quests and about 7-8 days to do all of the content in the game. In other words, no matter what you do, you will NOT run out of time. You never need to use Chronostasis.

Edit: To be clear, there are 13-14 days in the game.

Shahed

I actually expected to hate it a lot more. Maybe it was because I was using a map when I went in there (after hearing how horrible it was, I wanted to reduce some of the issues with the layout). I don't know if I was just lucky, but I didn't end up having to wait that long most of the time. If I saw a door I needed to get into was locked, I would just continue on and progress the dungeon until the hour changed, then I'd go back.

I mean it's not really a problem in that it has no effect at the end of it all. I can finish the Temple with all treasures and plenty of time left over. But it kinda exemplifies my main problem with this game.

I'm actually liking Lightning Returns (such a stupid name!) more than I thought I would. The battle system is a nice evolution of the other games where stats don't matter as much as timing the right abilities at precise moments to get the most out of it. I'd literally just watched my sister struggle badly with the Luxerion boss. I took over for her and breezed through it, and explained to her how to do certain things at the right time and all to make things easier. While the story is still nonsense, I do like how they've actually added character to Lightning who was a nigh on statue in the other games. The sidequests are pretty good bar a few mundane ones, and I like how each is voiced. They just could have done with a few more main quests.

But my main problem with the game is the time limit. Not in the fact that I'm worried about running out of time. I'm on day 5, completed all main quests bar Dead Dunes, farmed 100 Soul Seeds and done practically all sidequests I'm aware of bar the ones spanning multiple days. It's just the way I play, I prefer to box off certain areas and locations. I don't like doing loads of things at once. I'd rather completely finish one place, and then move onto the next. Kind of like how I only play one game at a time, and only play another once the previous is finished (don't understand how people can straddle multiple single player games at once. Doesn't it just make them all worse?)

But you can't do that in this game. Ideally I'd want to finish Luxerion's Main Quest, then all it's sidequests and box the area completely off. Then move onto Yusnaan and repeat, and so forth for Wildlands and Dead Dunes. But the way the game makes you come back in 6, 12, 18 and 24 hour intervals for a lot of things make that unfeasible. I find myself going to other places in order to use my time efficiently, and while that works, I end up losing any interest or feeling in the long running sidequests. People say they enjoyed Luka and the tears? I haven't finished it yet, but between the last time I was there I've played a lot and with all the Chronostasis use, it's been several hours and I just don't care about her anymore. The whole game does that repeatedly and it just lessens any sense of feeling I'd get for a lot of it. That's why I really dislike the Dead Dunes Temple. It's like a mini representation of the game as a whole. Do I hang around and get everything before moving on to the next location and wilingly waste time, or carry on and backtrack later in order to use time efficiently? While the latter makes sense from a gameplay perspective, it's just annoying in that it leads to more pointless running around, and goes against the way I like doing things.

I still enjoy the game since it's pretty fun and all, but it could have been so much more

^I'm actually very similar to you in how I play games. I do prefer to complete areas one by one, but it's impossible to do that in this game if you want to use your time wisely. I would have preferred if the game had no time limit at all, but still kept the day/night cycle. That way, you could use the Inns as much as you wanted to so you could complete the main/sidequests in an area and move on. As it is, the time limit almost seems pointless because I completed most sidequests and every main quest by the end of Day 7. So I now have 7 days left to finish the last few sidequests and maybe go fight monsters to extinct them. I feel like the game just doesn't have enough content for one thing - the main quests are way too short.

farmed 100 Soul Seeds

How did you do that all by Day 5 (in addition to doing a lot of sidequests/main quests)? :eek: Usually people use a quest that starts with Day 8 or 9 to farm Soul Seeds. I might as well farm those Soul Seeds, too even though I don't think I'm going for the platinum (I did Platinum both XIII/XIII-2).

Shahed

Yeah it would have been fine with no time limit and still had quests at random times throughout the day and night. I would have liked to have started each, and then slept my way through to completion on them all one by one.

As for Soul Seeds. There's a sidequest in Yusnaan called Death Game that has permanent Chaos. I actually used that place to farm EP with Chaos battles whenever I got low, hence why I got so much time left over by abusing chonostasis. It wasn't until later I realised. by waiting a few minutes here there, I could get Soul Seeds at the same time

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I eventually got the Elixir through the Death Game method, but I opted to buy one from the Outerworld I found wandering around first.

Shahed

Been selling my medals, but what about the likes of Gold Dust or Platinum Ore? Are they safe to sell or are are they needed for a sidequest/Canvas somewhere?

I eventually got the Elixir through the Death Game method, but I opted to buy one from the Outerworld I found wandering around first.

Been checking each person, looking for and buying Ether's and Turbo Ether's at every chance, to the point I've actually used a few to create space for more. I had money for an Elixer, but never saw one despite trying for ages. Was planning on reloading after buying it. After I got my Elixer via Souls Seeds, guess what I found on the second person I talked to...

Zafir

I came across two elixir selling people, the first time I didn't have enough items or funding to buy it. Second time I saved, ran to the closest shop, sold stuff and bought it. Reloaded after, of course. I was actually going to farm since I did wander around a bit trying to find a seller with no avail, but just as I was, one popped up.

abrack08

That should really be the last of the main quests that you tackle. You'll gather up a good bit of strength, equipment and abilities by doing all of the other main quests before attempting that fight. And remember to abuse the shit out of chronostasis in the meantime.

Caius

Alright, thanks for making me feel not-as-bad about my failure. I would rather do the main quests "in order", but if he's harder than the quest 4 and 5 bosses, might as well wait (and I read he doesn't get stronger as time goes by like the others?)

Top Bottom