• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yes, I especially loved the light hearted banter between Light and Hope.

FF really need this more.

Yeah Hope and Lightning's codec conversations are really handled well most of the time; they keep the player entertained and never left alone even if it's a single party jRPG. Loved it.

Holykael1

Banned
I'm in the EXACT same situation as you. Finished pretty much every sidequest and most of the canvas and just slept until the end because I just wanted to finish!

Thanks a lot for the advice, I can do pretty much everything you said so I'll give it a try.

When I was waiting for an answer I did all the trials and got Ultima Weapon by the way. Whih garb should I equip it on, for your setup?

Thanks!

Solider of Peace if you want to focus on first 3 phases damage or put it on the dark muse with Deprotection hunter to spam on the 4th phase once the boss is staggered.

Edit: What happened to the derp lightning avatar of yours Perfo? It was one of the most iconic things I remember seeing frequently when my account was still waiting for activation.

Jubern

How does Deprotect Hunter works exactly? I have Aerora on my Dark Muse+ garb but it just stay that way?

First attempt failed because I really don't know how to stagger efficiently, bleh. I just don't understand how Jump is supposed to help stagger? As soon as I'm done with it I switch garb to use Light Slash but it's too late. And it goes from yellow to blue to nothing really quick...

RpgN

Yeah Hope and Lightning's codec conversations are really handled well most of the time; they keep the player entertained and never left alone even if it's a single party jRPG. Loved it.

I enjoyed it too for the most part, except for when Hope treats you like a retarted 6 years old. I don't have to be told repeatedly where to go, how much time I have left before 6 am and whether to watch my health or not when I'm low on HP. I feel like he's acting like a father or a babysitter in those instances. The rest was handled very well.

Also add me as another fan of Meow Meow Choco Chow. I don't understand why this phrase is turned into something negative when it's meant to be funny and lighthearted.

Holykael1

Banned
How does Deprotect Hunter works exactly? I have Aerora on my Dark Muse+ garb but it just stay that way?

First attempt failed because I really don't know how to stagger efficiently, bleh. I just don't understand how Jump is supposed to help stagger? As soon as I'm done with it I switch garb to use Light Slash but it's too late. And it goes from yellow to blue to nothing really quick...

Use Beat Down and Jump combo twice in a row and spam artemis arrow until stagger.
Deprotect Hunter is Light Slash that changes name once the boss has Deprotect on him. I remember that happening on my Dark Muse+ garb, if it's not happening just keep the light slash. Always have deprotect on the boss. He only has full stat effect immunity on the 4th phase.
Using an attack and light slash to stabilize the stagger bar is useful when you need to guard in between attacks. Don't worry if it changes to blue, as long as it is like BIG WAVES of blue, that's very close to staggering already.
Usually using Beat Down/Jump twice will put him on red and yellow waves, using an artemis arrow during that state will always lead to a stagger break. OH THAT'S RIGHT. Put the Caius sword on the soldier of peace because of quick stagger ability. that will make the artemis arrow a powerhouse for stagger break. Equip Ultima sword on dark muse+ to deal tons of damage with deprotect hunter once the boss is staggered.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Also add me as another fan of Meow Meow Choco Chow. I don't understand why this phrase is turned into something negative when it's meant to be funny and lighthearted.
Gotta shit on this game at every angle, no matter what.

Gotta shit on this game at every angle, no matter what.

Oh, spare us the pity party. Kagari stated an opinion, that's it. This thread has been overwhelmingly positive with anyone who has issues mostly just leaving the thread to you guys. There is no "shitting on this game" in this thread. For every negative post, there's 20 positive. There are entire pages with nothing but positive posts. So please, drop the rhetoric.

Jubern

I did iiiiit!

Thanks a lot for the tips Holykael1 !
Since the first few phases were really easy after a few tries I had a lot of items to spare for the last phase including 2 Ethers so I just brute-forced the stagger with Overclock ahah.

Holykael1

Banned
I did iiiiit!

Thanks a lot for the tips Holykael1 !
Since the first few phases were really easy after a few tries I had a lot of items to spare for the last phase including 2 Ethers so I just brute-forced the stagger with Overclock ahah.

Nice! That was quick, I was too stubborn to get the ultima weapon and decided to kill him very underpowered, it felt good ahah but I made it harder than it needed to be.
Btw rpgN
You have to remember that it's not really Hope, it's Bhunivelze inhabiting Hope's body and he doesn't understand humans very well

Yazuka

I've been playing for about 12hours now and so far I am really enjoying it. Absolutely my favorite out of the FFXIII games, without a doubt.
Yeah, I too love Meow meow Choco Chow!

I would have liked the Lightning + Hope conversations a bit more if they didn't constantly overlap when you kept exploring a new area or whatever. One part of the game was really funny due to how you only heard like the first 3 words of Hope before he'd cut himself off and start talking about something else over and over and over. I'm talking about when you are
going through the north part of Yusnaan (Tour guide part of the main quest there) and it's just a long road up until you get to the Cyclops battle.
During that part, there's a new Hope convo literally every 10 steps at one point, and the only way to hear all the convo is to stop and listen (which is hard to do in a game with a ticking clock). If you don't stop, he'll nonstop cut himself off which is really annoying.

--

My two cents - I thought the "Meow meow, Choco Chow" was rather amusing in a really dumb/silly way (which is what it was trying to do).

look who I found wandering the forest.

Bi05NJGCYAA2-YK.jpg

He's still willing to fight.
Too bad he can't.

Bi05uEECcAA80KL.jpg

Fought Aeronite on day 9 first play through...

I read that you should either fight him on Day 13 or new game +.

Too bad I'm too stubborn and had to figure out how to beat him on day 9.... 4 hours later...

SUCCESS (Totally wasn't worth it... just wait till the later days).

I only ever saw Snow and Noel in their respective cities after beating their main quests. I didn't know Sazh walked around in the forest, neat. Does Fang stay in the desert or move to Luxerion? Or does she just vanish?

Question about one scene in the ending btw:

Was rewatching the ending tonight on youtube (dunno why, just noticed it in the recommended section on Youtube), and you know when the big reveal happens that Lumina = Lightning's emotions that she sealed away? The Fake Serah says something like "Do you remember? What you tried to do? You tried to kill me." This line is particularly confusing because shouldn't it be Lumina saying that? Then once Lumina comes on screen, the Fake Serah goes on to say "I'm Claire Farron. Her selfishness, etc etc." My question is, why is the Fake Serah saying all that when it should be Lumina? Did I miss something about the Fake Serah being Lumina? Wasn't the Fake Serah just an entity created by Bhuni that had no soul? It's also puzzling how or why Noel has an eidolon in the scene after that. Didn't only l'cie get those? Sent to them by Etro or something? It's been a while since XIII, so I can't recall. In any case, it's just bizarre and out of nowhere.

Holykael1

Banned
I only ever saw Snow and Noel in their respective cities after beating their main quests. I didn't know Sazh walked around in the forest, neat. Does Fang stay in the desert or move to Luxerion? Or does she just vanish?

Question about one scene in the ending btw:

Was rewatching the ending tonight on youtube (dunno why, just noticed it in the recommended section on Youtube), and you know when the big reveal happens that Lumina = Lightning's emotions that she sealed away? The Fake Serah says something like "Do you remember? What you tried to do? You tried to kill me." This line is particularly confusing because shouldn't it be Lumina saying that? Then once Lumina comes on screen, the Fake Serah goes on to say "I'm Claire Farron. Her selfishness, etc etc." My question is, why is the Fake Serah saying all that when it should be Lumina? Did I miss something about the Fake Serah being Lumina? Wasn't the Fake Serah just an entity created by Bhuni that had no soul? It's also puzzling how or why Noel has an eidolon in the scene after that. Didn't only l'cie get those? Sent to them by Etro or something? It's been a while since XIII, so I can't recall. In any case, it's just bizarre and out of nowhere.

I noticed that aswell, it's very weird but I think it's fake serah speaking in Lumina's place. Why did they do that tho is beyond me.. But it's clearly referring to Lumina because you see her on screen as fake serah is saying it. Fake Serah is narrating it simply

I noticed that aswell, it's very weird but I think it's fake serah speaking in Lumina's place. Why did they do that tho is beyond me.. But it's clearly referring to Lumina because you see her on screen as fake serah is saying it. Fake Serah is narrating it simply

Yeah, it's
definitely the Fake Serah speaking in Lumina's place, but I have no idea why, lol. The scene would make more sense if it was actually Lumina talking. :x

..I was hoping this thread would pop back up! I recently picked this game up a week or two ago for cheap-ish...figured "eh..why the hell not. I enjoyed 13 and 13-2. Surely, I'll enjoy this."

It has had me hooked. The game is just...fun. It's not an AAA game by any means, and it has some of the worst writing I've seen in a JRPG (and some great writing, too...)....but damned if I haven't enjoyed the 30 or so hours I've put in so far. I'm on Day 12, all main quests completed in normal mode. I guess I should just spend the remaining time gathering up side quest completions before I hit the final showdown.

And I'm sure it's been said before but...the soundtrack. It's pretty great. Not 13-2 great IMO, but excellent in its own right.

Also (Dead Dunes spoilers)
So, wandering around the desert, I see what looks like just a ball. Okay, fine. whatever, I'll attack it OH MY SHIT IT'S A GIANT DRAGON AHH RUN AWAY RUN AWAY OH SHIT I'M DEAD. I laughed too hard at that.

Like I said earlier, XIII's story is just poorly told on all fronts. I don't think the game once says who Etro is except in that one cutscene at the end of Chapter 10 in Oerba. It doesn't even use her name though - just "the goddess." I'm actually really annoyed with how the XIII series used Etro as a plot device the entire time. She didn't even feel like a real character in the story for one big reason - we never once saw her. No, I don't count
the painting of her in LR as actually seeing her.
It's hard to feel like she's an actual character in XIII and especially XIII-2 (which so much of the plot is based around). She is basically just a plot device to suit the writer's needs rather than a legit character. "Let's see, we need to explain why this happened... let's just say Etro did it!" is what most of the plot reveals felt like.

lol, I remember that quest. I was just staring at the TV in awe at how stupid the resolution was on that one. xD I was just mostly annoyed the flower just happened to bloom at the exact second that a random botanist walked by (who was never seen again). So weird.

I'll agree with you on Etro! It's....It's just the mythology behind it could have been super great. But so much of it got shoehorned into the datalogs of FFXIII, and then turned into machina themselves (Hey...A GOD DID IT! is this games nanomachines, son!). I feel that, even without seeing Etro, if Etro had been much of a character in 13 and not just a plot crutch, it could've been much more interesting.

Speaking of incredibly stupid quests, there's one in Luxerion that made me laugh really hard:
The lady who wants Lightning to check all the clocks. She's all, "OH MAN! IF THE CLOCKS END, THE WORLD MIGHT END. I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. THANK GOD YOU CAME LIGHTNING!" You go touch the clocks and then she says, "Man, I don't know if I could've lived with the guilt if the clocks stopped and then the world ended."....but...but...if the world ends..how...how will you live? W...what?

The quest from the original quote you quoted made me laugh a lot as well. There are some REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLY stupid quests.

Holykael1

Banned
Yeah, it's
definitely the Fake Serah speaking in Lumina's place, but I have no idea why, lol. The scene would make more sense if it was actually Lumina talking. :x

Is it possible that the actress that played Lumina wasn't available to record those lines or something?

Also (Dead Dunes spoilers)
So, wandering around the desert, I see what looks like just a ball. Okay, fine. whatever, I'll attack it OH MY SHIT IT'S A GIANT DRAGON AHH RUN AWAY RUN AWAY OH SHIT I'M DEAD. I laughed too hard at that.

That's one of the optional "end game" encounters. It's well worth trying to kill it for the drop you get (one of the best accessories in the game imo).

I'll agree with you on Etro! It's....It's just the mythology behind it could have been super great. But so much of it got shoehorned into the datalogs of FFXIII, and then turned into machina themselves (Hey...A GOD DID IT! is this games nanomachines, son!). I feel that, even without seeing Etro, if Etro had been much of a character in 13 and not just a plot crutch, it could've been much more interesting.

Speaking of incredibly stupid quests, there's one in Luxerion that made me laugh really hard:
The lady who wants Lightning to check all the clocks. She's all, "OH MAN! IF THE CLOCKS END, THE WORLD MIGHT END. I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. THANK GOD YOU CAME LIGHTNING!" You go touch the clocks and then she says, "Man, I don't know if I could've lived with the guilt if the clocks stopped and then the world ended."....but...but...if the world ends..how...how will you live? W...what?

The quest from the original quote you quoted made me laugh a lot as well. There are some REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLY stupid quests.

It's really a shame because I find the mythology of the XIII series really interesting, but they didn't use it properly in the games. Etro could have been a great character, but instead, feels like a basic plot device used to explain how or why things happen in the game. Who knows, maybe FFXV/Versus will use the mythology in a more engaging way (especially since the writer is the one who came up with the mythology in the first place).

loooooooool @ the quest you reference in Luxerion. I forgot about that one. Some really bizarre quests in the game. That said, there are some generally entertaining/funny ones, but yeah. A few of them are a bit WTF. xD

Is it possible that the actress that played Lumina wasn't available to record those lines or something?

I suppose that's possible, but.. seems unlikely considering it was only just a few lines of dialogue. Seems like she could have easily done that when she was there for the other recording sessions. I think it is just how the director wanted to do the scene even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Zafir

It's really a shame because I find the mythology of the XIII series really interesting, but they didn't use it properly in the games. Etro could have been a great character, but instead, feels like a basic plot device used to explain how or why things happen in the game. Who knows, maybe FFXV/Versus will use the mythology in a more engaging way (especially since the writer is the one who came up with the mythology in the first place).
Well, it seemed like Etro was meant to play a bigger part in Versus XIII than XIII initially. After all, she got a significant mention in the trailer where Stella and Noctis were talking. Who knows whether that'll stay in, mind you.

Well, it seemed like Etro was meant to play a bigger part in Versus XIII than XIII initially. After all, she got a significant mention in the trailer where Stella and Noctis were talking. Who knows whether that'll stay in, mind you.

Yeah, that's true. I'm actually curious how big of a role the gods will play in FFXV (or if it's changed at all since their original vision for Versus).

That's one of the optional "end game" encounters. It's well worth trying to kill it for the drop you get (one of the best accessories in the game imo).

Ah! I'm gonna have to do some research on those for NG+. That is, if FFX HD and MGS: Ground Zeroes don't steal me away for a while.......

loooooooool @ the quest you reference in Luxerion. I forgot about that one. Some really bizarre quests in the game. That said, there are some generally entertaining/funny ones, but yeah. A few of them are a bit WTF. xD
Yeah, I agree. I believe Type-0 is part of the same mythology, as well, and it seems to be universally praised, so maybe it does it a lot better. I suppose we'll find out.

And yeah....There are some great quests
The one with Bhakti in the Dead Dunes ruins...that one hit me right in the feels. Got hardcore Nier vibes from that one
, but....well I suppose even the bad quests are entertaining because you can laugh really hard at them afterward.

Zafir

Yeah, I agree. I believe Type-0 is part of the same mythology, as well, and it seems to be universally praised, so maybe it does it a lot better. I suppose we'll find out.
It was, yeah. Originally called Agito, it was a part of Fabula Nova Crystallis. That said, I don't think the original mythology was the problem to be fair. I thought it was amusing reading the analects about it in the original XIII. Unfortunately, I felt they started to over complicate it after the first game.

As far as I'm aware, it was a different writer who did the original mythology, so I suppose that explains it.

And yeah....There are some great quests
The one with Bhakti in the Dead Dunes ruins...that one hit me right in the feels. Got hardcore Nier vibes from that one
, but....well I suppose even the bad quests are entertaining because you can laugh really hard at them afterward.

Even though that sidequest is incredibly short, it's my favorite one in the game.
Bhakti... ;_; Was an incredibly touching sidequest. I definitely can understand the Nier-vibes you got and I agree.

Holykael1

Banned
Folks you are forgetting something. Im pretty sure the people who made the game are pretty aware that some of the quests are incredibly ridiculous, those are comic relief, say what you will about their work but they are not dumb morons.
The clock sidequest is a play on people IRL who have really stupid superstitions.

Raitningz

I... don't think so. In the Japanese version it was Serah who was talking as well. The voice acting was not referenced from this time, so I guess appropriate instructions were given to both the Japanese and English VAs.

finished the game,now in hard mode on game+ must say the game has exceeded my expectations in every way.some story elements are still confusing,but they did no do another space magic or god magic and the gameplay was really well done.

burgerdog

I got it, working on aeronite now :lol I can't even stagger him once. Does it matter if I fight him on day 10 or 12/13?

edit
Uh, went from not being able to staggering it to killing it on next attempt. Works for me even if I had to use my elixir.

I got it, working on aeronite now :lol I can't even stagger him once. Does it matter if I fight him on day 10 or 12/13?

edit
Uh, went from not being able to staggering it to killing it on next attempt. Works for me even if I had to use my elixir.

Yea pretty easy once you get the pattern, still harder than anything in the last two games.

Any tips in making chimera spawn more? this is annoying trying to get the 15 for the last one, but mofo spawn once like every 30 mins. Tried all four rooms and they all sucked.

Plat for this game like xiii-2 all over again.... Why couldn't it be easy like xiii!!!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yea pretty easy once you get the pattern, still harder than anything in the last two games.

Any tips in making chimera spawn more? this is annoying trying to get the 15 for the last one, but mofo spawn once like every 30 mins. Tried all four rooms and they all sucked.

Plat for this game like xiii-2 all over again.... Why couldn't it be easy like xiii!!!
Eh? It should spawn in the final room before the item of the bottom-left trial when facing Mog like 75% of the time. If it isn't, run up the stairs to despawn the monster...

Eh? It should spawn in the final room before the item of the bottom-left trial when facing Mog like 75% of the time. If it isn't, run up the stairs to despawn the monster...

Mother bleep... I just ran through all four rooms over and over and only at 7. Didn't know there a specific room I should pay attention to. Thanks try it out later.

genbatzu

if you are going for the plat you don't need to kill all last ones (and this includes chimera)

I personally found this plat the easiest out of the Ligtning triology. Beating Aeronite on 2nd playthrough is a cake, I easily reached 900k+ damage with each Arrow, so he was gone in no time. on first playthrough it took much longer with AAs damage around 100-200k, 4 top aethers and 4 phoenix downs.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah, that's true. I'm actually curious how big of a role the gods will play in FFXV (or if it's changed at all since their original vision for Versus).

I think more or less the FNC was supposed to be about Etro and Humanity, afterall she's the Goddess from which humanity has been born. I think the one in the FNC logo despite someone saying that being Bhuni is indeed the Goddess herself. All the XIII trilogy is about us and our hearts and I think that more or less is the theme for all these games.

I think more or less the FNC was supposed to be about Etro and Humanity, afterall she's the Goddess from which humanity has been born. I think the one in the FNC logo despite someone saying that being Bhuni is indeed the Goddess herself. All the XIII trilogy is about us and our hearts and I think that more or less is the theme for all these games.

Kitase was the one asked about that, and he confirmed it wasn't Etro,but it doesn't look like Bhuni anyway.

Besides her blood was used by Linzay to make humanity, which
is reconfirmed in LR.

KeRaSh

So I finally beat LR yesterday in order to free up my gaming schedule for Infamous SS.
In my opinion this is the weakest entry of the triology. There are just too many fetch quests and no clear indication of where to look for the needed items for me to care with the time limit in place. I ended up completíng all main quests with 5 or 6 days to spare but I couldn't get myself to grind through the side quests because the platinum trophy is out of reach without a second playthrough anyways.
It's also a shame that you don't get to keep the final weapon of the game. I might have considered a second run if I got to keep it to speed through things again.

Aru

Just started the 10th day and I have 3 days left, as I just unlocked the final day. Those reviews who said we needed a second playthrough or a guide on the first playthrough to see the end didn't use all that was available to them.

So far, I'm not entirely decided on my preference about this game in the saga. I definitely like FFXIII-2 more (for many reasons: graphically superior, more engaging plot, better characters and villain...), but I can't say whether I like it more than the first game or not. They are totally different games, after all.

I was off work for a few days so I play this game for around 5-6 hours a day! It was really addictive, even if flawed. So far the story keeps me interested because I want to know how it ends, despite the lack of any major twist as of now.

Pros:
- Battle system is great and challenging
- The 4 locations are very different
- Great music, but I like it less than the other entries, especially the battle themes
- Time isn't an issue if you don't mind running everywhere and abuse Chronostatis

Cons:
- Generic subquests. The NPC shouldn't talk that much, why are almost all subquest voiced? Waste of resources and budget, IMO
- Learning curve is pretty steep
- Technically subpar, but the game does look nice sometimes.

I can definitely see why a lot of people say this is the worst game in the trilogy. I can't blame them at all. But this game is definitely very enjoyable. I wouldn't recommend it to non-fans of FFXIII though.

Zoe

Cons:
- Generic subquests. The NPC shouldn't talk that much, why are almost all subquest voiced? Waste of resources and budget, IMO

I hope they keep it like that. On the other end of the spectrum, Yakuza Kenzan is very frustrating in this regard.

Top Bottom