• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

I tried to kill myself a couple months back and when they let me have my phone back I forgot the password to my GAF account (remembered my one for B-tots so there's that). Not that it would've mattered much once I remembered it.

I really don't like GAF. I don't like, possibly actively dislike, 90% of the people on here. I think the discussions here are often poisoned and terrible and any community I've tried to become a part of has only ever made me feel worse and alone like I didn't belong or couldn't talk about the things I enjoy. It's why I stuck around the manga section for so long even if my posts in other sections trailed off because it was the only community I think didn't poison itself with terrible people and awful exclusionary habits. Because I always felt like shit and resented so many people on here my anger came out and the quality of my posts went from attempting to discuss things I enjoy to a deaf audience to just lashing out and wanting to make other people feel like shit, like I did. I'd just post driveby shit or make my posts as acerbic as possible.

I realized during the course of getting out of the mental health ward and therapy that this site was legitimately hurting my ability to care for myself by continuously putting me into a bad place mentally because of how much anxiety, anger or stress resulted from the toxicity of simply reading threads, not even participating. I found when I stopped visiting GAF my emotional state was able to actually build up better and I wasn't constantly being dragged down into a worse place. Hell, I noticed it affected my breathing, I was breathing easier. Obviously it's a combination of things; it's not like GAF is responsible for my depression. But small things can snowball and drag you down to a level for other shit to get to you and GAF was one of the biggest factors in making me unable to focus on anything positive.

So I don't think I want to post here anymore. I don't think I want to even visit here eventually. I really don't like this community. I think it's the epitome of the social loneliness that I've always felt and my attempts at trying to be accepted by it or engage with it have exacerbated my issues. You go to a website like this because of it's niche focus to find like-minded people and a community you can talk to and be a part of and you don't find it. You can't even engage with it from a distance without posting and just read threads because it's so awful that it's like a physical feeling in the pit of your stomach. And what's sad is it's people I share the same interests in or 90% of the same political views or have experienced the same things as, I want nothing to do with because I find their existence so toxic and harmful to discussion or enjoyment as a whole.

What I'm trying to say is read Murcielago.

Gotta say - even as a newbie here - I'll miss your posts, and your good taste if you are leaving. But, as I'm sure everyone'll agree, GAF isn't worth your mental health. I should know, I left all the forums I was a part of when my mental health was at it's worst, all that non-discussion and seclusion is, at it's core, soul destroying.

LeleSocho

Banned
I tried to kill myself a couple months back and when they let me have my phone back I forgot the password to my GAF account (remembered my one for B-tots so there's that). Not that it would've mattered much once I remembered it.

I really don't like GAF. I don't like, possibly actively dislike, 90% of the people on here. I think the discussions here are often poisoned and terrible and any community I've tried to become a part of has only ever made me feel worse and alone like I didn't belong or couldn't talk about the things I enjoy. It's why I stuck around the manga section for so long even if my posts in other sections trailed off because it was the only community I think didn't poison itself with terrible people and awful exclusionary habits. Because I always felt like shit and resented so many people on here my anger came out and the quality of my posts went from attempting to discuss things I enjoy to a deaf audience to just lashing out and wanting to make other people feel like shit, like I did. I'd just post driveby shit or make my posts as acerbic as possible.

I realized during the course of getting out of the mental health ward and therapy that this site was legitimately hurting my ability to care for myself by continuously putting me into a bad place mentally because of how much anxiety, anger or stress resulted from the toxicity of simply reading threads, not even participating. I found when I stopped visiting GAF my emotional state was able to actually build up better and I wasn't constantly being dragged down into a worse place. Hell, I noticed it affected my breathing, I was breathing easier. Obviously it's a combination of things; it's not like GAF is responsible for my depression. But small things can snowball and drag you down to a level for other shit to get to you and GAF was one of the biggest factors in making me unable to focus on anything positive.

So I don't think I want to post here anymore. I don't think I want to even visit here eventually. I really don't like this community. I think it's the epitome of the social loneliness that I've always felt and my attempts at trying to be accepted by it or engage with it have exacerbated my issues. You go to a website like this because of it's niche focus to find like-minded people and a community you can talk to and be a part of and you don't find it. You can't even engage with it from a distance without posting and just read threads because it's so awful that it's like a physical feeling in the pit of your stomach. And what's sad is it's people I share the same interests in or 90% of the same political views or have experienced the same things as, I want nothing to do with because I find their existence so toxic and harmful to discussion or enjoyment as a whole.

While not reaching your extremes i kinda get what you feel, one of the very few reasons i have yet to ditch GAF is because in this very thread throughout the years i found some very cool people that feels great to talk to so i stick with it.
That being said i totally get why you don't want to hang around anymore and if you feel it is that beneficial to your health as you explained then i suggest to drop out immediately, it will be sad because i always seen you as a regular and very active so it would be MangaGAF losing a piece of itself but you should absolutely prioritize yourself before anyone else at this point in time.

Zweizer

Banned

Jeez, that's pretty heavy. Anyways, no site is worth damaging your mental health for, so if GAF is hurting you, please avoid it. It's going to be sad to not have you frequent us anymore, but your own well-being comes first.

PK Gaming

Places like IRC and Discord helped me fill that void of social loneliness you were describing, so hopefully you find something that works for you as well.

See you around OniBarubary.

Lain

I was glad to see you back after you disappeared these past few months Oni. It sucks to see what the reason for your brief disappearance was but if GAF is such a negative presence in your life, as sad as it is to see you leave, take as much distance as you need from this place. Your well being comes first and I hope going forward things will get better and better for you.

MANUELF

Banned

No site is worth your mental health, if you believe GAF is making you feel worse then the best is leaving it

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Even if we bumped heads everynow and then, I've always really liked your posts Oni. Take care <3<3<3

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Your health if far more important than GAF.
I'm going to miss you mate. See you in another place, maybe someday, sometime in the future
I wish you the best wherever you are.

While I don't post in the manga thread much, I want to say that I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through, and I pray you can get the help and healing you need. I can relate to what you're going through since when I've been depressed and suicidal in the past reading GAF and other discussion avenues on the Internet would exacerbate my mental issues and could end up the catalyst for self-harm. The Internet has the potential to cause a lot of harm to someone who struggles with psychological stability, especially when one identifies with the media they consume to the point where criticism against the media is felt as criticism against one's self. That was the case with me in the past. I think separating yourself from GAF is a positive step for yourself and hopefully will help you clear your mind and soul from the toxicity you feel. Take care of yourself above all.

Yeah , there is no point staying at place that you dislike and do your harm. Go find a better place or community where you feel good.

Get better and go read some manga.

If its affecting your health then its best to leave man.

will miss your posts/recommendations but its not worth potentially losing a life

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

Honestly, I get you. This forum can be, uh, something else. And as sad as I am to see you peace out, I ultimately want the best for you, because you're my boy. So be free of this place, and be happy. You do deserve it.

Would like a way to keep in touch with you though. :[ Gonna send a PM.

The Internet as a whole is pretty terrible and this place is pretty bad too. You should try and take a break from reading any dicussion threads anywhere. Face to face conversations are generally less toxic and much more inclusive. It ain't worth staying here if it's harming your mental health. Hope you find something that can help.

Places like IRC and Discord helped me fill that void of social loneliness you were describing, so hopefully you find something that works for you as well.

See you around OniBarubary.
You have to tread real carefully around those places too. Nothing worse than a toxic individual on Discord who they, admins/mods, won't ban.

A bunch of people have said it already Oni, but you always seemed like a cool guy and the demons
/ onis
you were facing didn't stop you from being a good poster here. While you'll be missed, getting away from GAF for the sake of your health is clearly the right call. Whenever I see angel butt cleavage I'll think of you.

Yeah, I really should be reading this. It's like the manga of my dreams but I stopped following it early on because I wanted to wait for more chapters. Then it just fell into this mental void in my backlog along with x000 other series.

Goblin Is Very Strong 6

I know Mimit's supposed to be pretty weak for a demon type, but right now I still wouldn't fancy Aki's chances if she got her gloves on her. Particularly if she's under the jealous status effect. Reaching the final dungeon this early in the adventure is quite an achievement, even if it's only a preview of sorts.

Nice we get another simulpub https://twitter.com/Hello_itsWendy/status/881279765453209601

DDrvRQ9UIAEbBrC.jpg:large

Silver Spoon finally got licensed here.

In other news, Comixology is having a One Piece sale (Along with dragon ball stuff) at 50% off. Thinking of finally diving into this. I had the shounen jump monthly chapters but never read past the shark dude stuff. At $3 a volume I might buy a couple and see if I enjoy it to buy the rest since the sale lasts until 7/7.

Code is AX17 on the official site. Can't get the code to work on the mobile app.

Bowl0l

In other news, Comixology is having a One Piece sale (Along with dragon ball stuff) at 50% off. Thinking of finally diving into this. I had the shounen jump monthly chapters but never read past the shark dude stuff. At $3 a volume I might buy a couple and see if I enjoy it to buy the rest since the sale lasts until 7/7.

Code is AX17 on the official site. Can't get the code to work on the mobile app.
Will the Comixology deals be mirrored by Amazon?

jman2050

Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To - some number of chapters from the start

Great, now I will never be able to read this topic's title without bursting into fits of laughter.

This needs to be an anime like yesterday.

Arabesque

I sent you a PM, but I want to echo a lot of what everyone been saying here. Your number one priority is taking care of yourself and no one site is worth your mental health.

It is sad to see you go but I hope you get better.

dramatis

If you need to get away from GAF to get better, you should do it.

However, if you ever have the urge to come back, you'll be welcome to.

While not reaching your extremes i kinda get what you feel, one of the very few reasons i have yet to ditch GAF is because in this very thread throughout the years i found some very cool people that feels great to talk to so i stick with it.
I see you in Android GAF more often than in here I think sometimes

I can't go in Android GAF because

I'm okay with bezels

LeleSocho

Banned
I see you in Android GAF more often than in here I think sometimes

I can't go in Android GAF because

I'm okay with bezels

Lately i am that's true, that's because it's been a few months that i'm not in a manga discussion mood but if someone's asks me this is my primary community on GAF, i love pretty much everyone in here.

you are not alone, i actually prefer phones with top and bottom bezels

Numb

my dude Oni stay strong
My brain's having a hard time accepting that anyone other than the heroine could be best girl, but it's early days + I'm willing to keep an open mind.
The MC is busy being the MC

Open your eyes and see

thumb.php

"From hereon ever after, until my limbs are broken and severed, until my head is chopped off, until my iron heart stops beating, I shall be your lover always, your companion. I live only for you and will break only for you. Loving me, stopping me, and doing anything else to me is the privilege enjoyed by you alone only."
Gazing straight at Kaito, she then smiled shyly.

"Please enjoy me any time as it suits yourself. Please love me tenderly forever and ever, okay?"

best girl

Zweizer

Banned
Goblin Is Very Strong ch6

It's good that the demons are pretty friendly. Maybe they'll be able to work out a peaceful resolution in the future.

Should've just told them the truth. They're going to meet her soon anyways, if that last page is any indication. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into a bloodbath.

Kingdom ch523

Guess Ouhon will be sidelined for a little while.

Historie ch99

Huh, didn't expect a flashback. Philip's achievements are impressive at least.

Hungry Marie ch14

I expect Taiga to shoulder most of the royalty battle stuff.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch34

Are better stats worth missing out on additional skills? That is the question.

I am not a Succubus! 1

I rarely post about raws, but this deserves an early mention as it's clearly going to be amazing. It's a new yuri series about a human FeMC who's just transferred to a school full of monster girls, and lies about her species because she wants to fit in with her new classmates.
Problem is, she pretends to be a succubus, despite initially having no idea what they are. Somehow this lie leads to lewd shenanigans with her peers. And by 'lewd', I mean borderline hentai.
As if the premise wasn't exquisite enough, one of the girls is a cute mono-eye. So, uh, sold. Waiting on translations with bated breath.

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS. It's just like I dreamed it'd be. Bonus points for having a lamia character that I might actually like for a change, providing she isn't a jerk to Ai.

Open your eyes and see

"From hereon ever after, until my limbs are broken and severed, until my head is chopped off, until my iron heart stops beating, I shall be your lover always, your companion. I live only for you and will break only for you. Loving me, stopping me, and doing anything else to me is the privilege enjoyed by you alone only."
Gazing straight at Kaito, she then smiled shyly.

"Please enjoy me any time as it suits yourself. Please love me tenderly forever and ever, okay?"

best girl
fdjkhsdjh doll joints, my only
/ 428th
weakness. You've made a persuasive case.

Tomo-chan ch.589
Misuzu sure is awfully calm about all this...

Engaged to the Unidentified Vol.7 Ch.5
Alas, Benio has learned to adapt to Mashiro's sudden change of behavior, rendering her counter attack pointless. It was too short lived.

Manga by the creator of Nier got picked up by Yen Press https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/881305963931643904
I remember checking out the first chapter or two of this years ago but didn't continue for whatever reason. The set up was certainly Yoko Taro material, and maybe with this I'll dive back in and read further.

Chase17

*looks up synopsis of Final Fantasy: Lost Stranger*
The manga follows a Square Enix's employee who dies, and is reincarnated into the world of Final Fantasy.
lol. It's both funny and generic!

kasane

I wish you all the best dude, mental health is really important and quite frankly peoples understanding of it is very lacking. I hope you find what youre looking for and live a full filling life.

On a ligher note i hope my shitposts here didnt affect u

I just finished the 4th volume of Noboru no Kotera-san. I also found out it's finished and the mangaka (Coffee) is working on a new series.

Damn it. I actually found the climbing manga a very relaxing read. I mean sure it's not marketable or viable for an anime adaptation but it was really nice.

orochi91

Tomo-chan ch.590

WTF am I reading right now?

He ran out of his own house to go hug Tomo because Carol scared him?

This is beyond frustrating, Jun's level of emotional maturity and mental fortitude is equal to an infant's...

Okay, a bit of an odd request here, but here goes nothing. Does anyone know of / have any manga they'd recommend with good, drawn-out torture scenes? Preferably mental and physical torture, not really in the market for sexual torture. And before you ask, no this is not because I want to enjoy reading that sort of thing, but more because my writing has stalled and I wanted other material/works to use as a reference.

As always any help is appreciated.

Ascheroth

Okay, a bit of an odd request here, but here goes nothing. Does anyone know of / have any manga they'd recommend with good, drawn-out torture scenes? Preferably mental and physical torture, not really in the market for sexual torture. And before you ask, no this is not because I want to enjoy reading that sort of thing, but more because my writing has stalled and I wanted other material/works to use as a reference.

You're writing about torture?

...I also need to get back to writing myself..

I think you're a pretty cool poster and I enjoy seeing your substantial comments on Babobo

I find when I'm going through real life issues taking a break from posting on forums is a big help so I totally understand. Do what's best for your health <3

====

Caught up with Land of the Lustrous and found out they're making an anime too
rejoice.png

tumblr_os0nwxDcEq1qb4b11o1_400.gif

spiritfox

Restaurant to Another World 1

Oh shit they're doing a manga for this.

A modern day restaurant finds itself linked to another world every Saturday. Naturally, they start serving food to the various fantasy races there. The first chapter is just a set up chapter, but I already like the premise.

Ascheroth

Restaurant to Another World 1

Oh shit they're doing a manga for this.

A modern day restaurant finds itself linked to another world every Saturday. Naturally, they start serving food to the various fantasy races there. The first chapter is just a set up chapter, but I already like the premise.
There's an anime starting this season.

Zweizer

Banned

You can start with stuff like Tatoe Hai Ni Natte Mo, trash. and DEAD Tube. If you want something more 'refined', Shintaro Kago is pretty good (I'd suggest Korokoro Soushi). If you're feeling much much more adventurous, check out Uziga Waita, but you'd better be prepared.

But really, Chotto Kawaii Iron Maiden.

Top Bottom