• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Magi - Whatever the latest chapter is

Fuck this manga. It's really sad how it has really dropped to this level. The last 10 chapters or so are like.... all the same thing just presented in different ways. Truly the lowest form of shounen action. It's not even entertaining. It's just random characters we've never seen before who will never matter to the plot again "powering up" to beam spam stuff until a more important STORY CHARACTER appears, poses, says some shit, and then everyone goes "WOOOOOOOOOOOW!", and then BLACK RUKH REGENERATION panels, etc. Really fucking lazy writing.

I think we can probably come up with a Magi chapter generator by now. :p

Wow... really that bad? o_O

Magi - Whatever the latest chapter is

Fuck this manga. It's really sad how it has really dropped to this level. The last 10 chapters or so are like.... all the same thing just presented in different ways. Truly the lowest form of shounen action. It's not even entertaining. It's just random characters we've never seen before who will never matter to the plot again "powering up" to beam spam stuff until a more important STORY CHARACTER appears, poses, says some shit, and then everyone goes "WOOOOOOOOOOOW!", and then BLACK RUKH REGENERATION panels, etc. Really fucking lazy writing.

I think we can probably come up with a Magi chapter generator by now. :p

To be fair, you can probably say something similar about the recent One Piece chapters.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, I find it pretty hard to judge things chapter by chapter, especially for regular shounen chapters of 18 pages. Sometimes that's just not enough pages for a proper build up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I dunno, I find it pretty hard to judge things chapter by chapter, especially for regular shounen chapters of 18 pages. Sometimes that's just not enough pages for a proper build up.

It'd be fine if it was an obvious setup chapter, but this is just a waste of time.

The build up happened, this is supposed to be the climax.

There are bad chapters in literature just like there are bad chapters in manga, it's not some sort of unspeakable crime to point out the flaws of a single chapter (and really, duckroll is commenting on the trend of the last 10 or so chapters), especially for a serialized format like manga.

Antiwhippy

It'd be fine if it was an obvious setup chapter, but this is just a waste of time.

There are bad chapters in literature just like there are bad chapters in manga, it's not some sort of unspeakable crime to point out the flaws of a single chapter (and really, duckroll is commenting on the trend of the last 10 or so chapters), especially for a serialized format like manga.

Chapters in books are usually arcs in manga.

I felt that it was more of a set up for kouen and titus to deal with the black djinns and mogamett, respectively. I agree that they seem to be stretching the conflict out for ages with one surprise attacker after the other, but I think Kouen's entry could be how he'll finally be properly introduced, which seems to be what they are setting up.

What haly said and i started to see Duckroll´s issue with this war. The stakes are not really that high anymore. The Kou will steamroll Mog like nothing.

Haly

Eh, I guess so, though I haven't read a lot of books with really short chapters. :p

A chapter doesn't need to be short to be a waste of time by having nothing happening.

It is known.

That's just because everyone has unrealistic expectations. There's nothing wrong with SnK.

I don't like how the current story arc going but yes i agree with you in how people had unrealistic expectations .
It's a shonen manga i wonder what people expected from it .

Eh, I guess so, though I haven't read a lot of books with really short chapters. :p

Guess you can compare it to a VOL then in some ways .

Antiwhippy

I think the problem right now is that magi is trying to tie too many things together now. With the war between the racist magicians and roman knock-offs it seems like she's trying to bring the Kou empire into the mix for the next arc, but it kinda diminishes what was going on between the racist magicians and roman knockoffs before.

You can't save shonen. His stuffed corpse has been sitting on the couch for a decade and you've all been too busy hiding under the kitchen table because your parents won't stop yelling at each other to notice that your closest friend was never alive to begin with.

Kusagari

That's just because everyone has unrealistic expectations. There's nothing wrong with SnK.

I think the Eren plot twist was fine.

It was the recent events which have really dampened my interest in the series.

But I will admit that the excellent opening probably had me fool myself thinking it wouldn't turn into an average shonen eventually.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't like how the current story arc going but yes i agree with you in how people had unrealistic expectations .
It's a shonen manga i wonder what power expected from it .

I don't even like every story arc in FMA and that's the best executed shonen I've read. Its not a huge deal.

You honestly had to be really, really dense to not get the "titans are people" thing (they all look like people and there's obviously a source of them beyond magic) or that Eren would have some kind of ability beyond being a determinator.

Were people really expecting them to just be gigantic zombies? I don't get it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";60909441]You can't save shonen. His stuffed corpse has been sitting on the couch for a decade and you've all been too busy hiding under the kitchen table because your parents won't stop yelling at each other to notice that your closest friend was never alive to begin with.[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly unsure of what your point is. This comes off a lot like adults complaining that the next generation of people are way worse and the world is going to hell in a handbasket. "Comics these days aren't like the comics I liked 10 years ago, therefore comics are dead." Just like the fantasy genre was dead until people picked up ASOIAF.

Antiwhippy

I don't have a problem with titans being humans, but I have a problem with the really shitty story telling in the latest arc.

I don't even like every story arc in FMA and that's the best executed shonen I've read. Its not a huge deal.

You honestly had to be really, really dense to not get the "titans are people" thing (they all look like people and there's obviously a source of them beyond magic) or that Eren would have some kind of ability beyond being a determinator.

Were people really expecting them to just be gigantic zombies? I don't get it.

Honestly i thought about that the first time i watched the first episode. They said the titans came So i thought it might be a human evolution just with basic instincs intact, since there´s no way they came out of no where.

wonzo

Banned
Magi 183

only mor returning to own shit can save us from this terrible arc but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon :/

Whatever, at least the Sinbad spinoff's actually entertaining to read.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't have a problem with titans being humans, but I have a problem with the really shitty story telling in the latest arc.

I think this is a strangely high level of expectation. I've read series of novels in which I dislike entire books and still count the series among my favorites, see, as mentioned above, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Honestly i thought about that the first time i watched the first episode. They said the titans came So i thought it might be a human evolution just with basic instincs intact, since there´s no way they came out of no where.

Yep and then few chapters later we saw that some of them could have maybe come from experiments .
Then when Eren transform you know they were going to have more like him .

Antiwhippy

I think this is a strangely high level of expectation. I've read series of novels in which I dislike entire books and still count the series among my favorites, see, as mentioned above, A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm still interested to see how the the titan mystery will go, but I dunno, it's not really about high expectations as much as being disappointed by the general direction for now.

Angry Grimace

Yep and then few chapters later we saw that some of them could have maybe come from experiments .

I assumed all along they were experiments gone bad akin to the Will Smith version of I Am Legend.

I'm still interested to see how the the titan mystery will go, but I dunno, it's not really about high expectations as much as being disappointed by the general direction for now.

For me i guess it would depend on the pay off, why the want Eren and Ymir .
Also why they doing what they doing in the first place along with few other things .

wonzo

Banned
Seven Deadly Sins 31

The girl's either a shrunken down Diane, the brainwashed chick from the last chapter or Elizabeth's other sister.

I think you can have a single scene that's buildup->climax->buildup->climax. It's just really friggin hard to pull off. Hells did it well. Can be an effective way of showing exponential escalation provided you don't fuck up the secondary buildup.

Kusagari

I think more than having a problem with everyone turning out to be Titans, I just find the Titan vs. Titan fights themselves to be lame.

And the direction seems to suggest that they will become more and more the norm.

Angry Grimace

I think more than having a problem with everyone turning out to be Titans, I just find the Titan vs. Titan fights themselves to be lame.

And the direction seems to suggest that they will become more and more the norm.

They could be more interesting if they integrated the ground units into the fights a little better. I didn't have a problem with the Female-type vs. Eren + Scouting Legion one.

Well he could always mix it up by still having the other characters do stuff in the titan fights .
I enjoy the fights when it's a mix of both going on the same time .

Angry Grimace

Well can't fault him for that since MMA is awesome .

Part of the problem is that the Titans themselves don't have a particularly large variation in their powers with the exception of the Colossal Titan, who honestly seems impractical in anything other than siege warfare.

Haly

Authors should do what I like, what's even the point of an author if I don't like what they like?

Useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom