• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did people really expect OP sales not to decline it was a given .
As i said now that people not buying old vols like crazy it should sell 14 to 18 million a year depending on Vol release in the year .

This is happening for me as well. Marvel has done a great job with Marvel NOW making stuff much more approachable. A series like X-men which has thousands of issues between all of its runs can be reasonably approached by reading the current ongoings (of which only one is even 10 issues old at this point). Even if you know nothing about the story or characters- I picked up Young Avengers because someone told me it had a respectable gay teenage romance as one of it's driving plot points, and I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it and how by the end of the first 5 issues I knew who all the characters were and understood the plot.

I still urge everyone to check out Ultimate Spider-Man. It's what sold me on the superhero comic medium. It's at least on par with any battle manga you can name. You want people to stay dead? There are a few exceptions but characters do tend to stay dead in the Marvel Ultimate universe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's also impossible to approach if you are new to it now. I'm about 100 chapters in, and I just feel overwhelmed by the length of it that I don't know If I want to continue.

This is happening for me as well. Marvel has done a great job with Marvel NOW making stuff much more approachable. A series like X-men which has thousands of issues between all of its runs can be reasonably approached by reading the current ongoings (of which only one is even 10 issues old at this point). Even if you know nothing about the story or characters- I picked up Young Avengers because someone told me it had a respectable gay teenage romance as one of it's driving plot points, and I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it and how by the end of the first 5 issues I knew who all the characters were and understood the plot.

Yup. It's really a great time to get into them if you've ever been interested. Every character has an interesting story going on that's easy to get into. Plus they've all got great writers/artists on them.

Qvoth

It's also impossible to approach if you are new to it now. I'm about 100 chapters in, and I just feel overwhelmed by the length of it that I don't know If I want to continue.

i'd say if you haven't found OP interesting by arlong park arc maybe it's not for you
even i find myself thinking OP's been downhill ever since new world starts

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i'd say if you haven't found OP interesting by arlong park arc maybe it's not for you

I think it's one of those things where we saw what is going to be coming with the big war and we expect something on that tier again. We've been spoiled basically.

survivor

Banned
Where are you guys finding Phoenix? It's extremely rare, so I've only found two volumes.

Luckily the library here has all the copies so I have been going through them slowly.

I still urge everyone to check out Ultimate Spider-Man. It's what sold me on the superhero comic medium. It's at least on par with any battle manga you can name. You want people to stay dead? There are a few exceptions but characters do tend to stay dead in the Marvel Ultimate universe.
If I don't like battle manga, what superhero comic would I like?

There is a chance you might still like Ultimate Spider-Man since it focuses so much on the life and times of Peter Parker and his relationships with other people. It's not about the action so much as it is about the personal stakes and the drama.

The Ultimates 1 and 2 by Mark Millar is a dark and very grounded take on the superhero genre. It's been a huge influence on the cinematic universe. If you like fucked up psychologies and heroes who are just as horrible people as the rest of us, this is for you.

If you want something serious and philosophical read Watchmen by Alan Moore if you haven't already and prepare to have your socks blown off. This is an absolute crowning achievement of the medium and should be read by everyone whether they're interested in comics or not.

I'm actually not a fan of the Matt Fraction Hawkeye series but a lot of people seem to love the shit out of it so maybe there's something I'm missing.

I'm still relatively early in delving into the medium so I'm not the best expert to ask, maybe B-Dubs can help?

Aizo

Banned
Luckily the library here has all the copies so I have been going through them slowly.

None of the libraries within 100 miles of me have them. I envy you!

I might recommend Scott Pilgrim, Powers, or Chew to you. I may be stretching "superhero" a bit.

I think it's one of those things where we saw what is going to be coming with the big war and we expect something on that tier again. We've been spoiled basically.

Truth is a lot of people that start reading OP then not accustom to it's normal pacing weekly .
Plus like you said we had a idea what arc were coming for a good while .

bigkrev

The+Punisher+v5+19+-+Up+is+Down+and+Black+is+White+01+-+00+-+FC.jpg

Garth Ennis Punisher Max. This story (Volume 4) is pretty great. The current Hawkeye is also hilarious.

I loved the Arlong Park stuff, but again, the fact that I still have 5-600 chapters to be caught up is kinda daunting

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There is a chance you might still like Ultimate Spider-Man since it focuses so much on the life and times of Peter Parker and his personal relationships.

If you want something serious and philosophical read Watchmen by Alan Moore if you haven't already and prepare to have your socks blown off.

I'm actually not a fan of the Matt Fraction Hawkeye series but a lot of people seem to love the shit out of it so maybe there's something I'm missing.

I'm still relatively early in delving into the medium so I'm not the best expert to ask, maybe B-Dubs can help?

Hawkeye, Captain American, All New and Uncanny X-Men by Bendis, Avengers and New Avengers by Hickman (specifically the latter as it's far and away the better book), Batman by Snyder and Capullo, Saga, American Vampire (everyone needs to read American Vampire, it's goddamn amazing), Daredevil and The Wake (it's only got 1 issue but it has a great writer and it looks to be going places. Plus it's only 10 issues).

All of that is pretty much agreed upon in the comics thread as being goddamn sweet. I'd throw in Slott's Amazing Spider-man run (up to 700). Even if you don't like the last arc there are still a lot of fun stories in there and there are plenty of people who have enjoyed it.

Everything above is currently running, if you want something complete get Hickman's Fantastic Four run. It's godlike and probably the best completed thing I've read.

Also Sandman.

survivor

Banned
Already read Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim and Chew. I will try to find the other series (Ultimates, Powers, Punisher) and give them a read. Thanks.

Hawkeye, Captain American, All New and Uncanny X-Men by Bendis, Avengers and New Avengers by Hickman (specifically the latter as it's far and away the better book), Batman by Snyder and Capullo, Saga, American Vampire (everyone needs to read American Vampire, it's goddamn amazing), Daredevil and The Wake (it's only got 1 issue but it has a great writer and it looks to be going places. Plus it's only 10 issues).

All of that is pretty much agreed upon in the comics thread as being goddamn sweet. I'd throw in Slott's Amazing Spider-man run (up to 700). Even if you don't like the last arc there are still a lot of fun stories in there and there are plenty of people who have enjoyed it.

Everything above is currently running, if you want something complete get Hickman's Fantastic Four run. It's godlike and probably the best completed thing I've read.
Read the first volume of Saga couple of months ago. I will try American Vampire, plot summary looks good.

Aizo

Banned
Ooh! Survivor, have you read Fables? I recommend it. I also second -- I mean third, I suppose -- the recommendation for Sandman.

Already read Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim and Chew. I will try to find the other series (Ultimates, Powers, Punisher) and give them a read. Thanks.

Read the first volume of Saga couple of months ago. I will try American Vampire, plot summary looks good.

Let us know how it goes. The Ultimates is definitely good stuff, especially if you relish troubled character psychologies. Just remember that The Ultimates ends with 2. Don't read 3. There is no 3.

Eyeshield 21 Chapters 8 - 20
tumblr_mnssjeKDrj1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Excellent second game. Sena is a great initially weak protag who wants to still do big things for the sake of his friends and team and even himself. The whole thing with him wanting to actually outdo Sakuraba and score a touch down, fidgeting, getting restless, and actually wanting to is and will probably be a really memorable moment. And for Sakuraba the scene with him to wanting to do likewise and prove himself on field (panel with both saying essentially the same thing and making the same motions was great).

There is a nice balance between comedy and emotional drama there, whenever it seems it will get all too sad and what not Hiruma always happens to do something to make me and everyone laugh (Kuriti crying and the cameras then he sticks his hand in the camera with the words, etc). But poor Sakuraba having no one like that on his side.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there any manga with a similar feeling/setup like Lord of the Ring?

Warriors from all land banding together to defeat the Ultimate Evil or something like that?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there any manga with a similar feeling/setup like Lord of the Ring?

Warriors from all land banding together to defeat the Ultimate Evil or something like that?

Ubel Blatt is kind of Post-LOTR.

Medieval manga is strangely hard to find however, which is puzzling, because the Tolkien tradition is very much alive in JRPGs. Anime and manga just don't seem to reflect that... until recently where you have all these self-aware RPG satires like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and and Hataraku Maou.

Aizo

Banned
I'm also interested to know what the Western comic equivalent to Inio Asano's work would be. I've been out of the loop for many years.

Haly

I'm also interested to know what the Western comic equivalent to Inio Asano's work would be. I've been out of the loop for many years.

Existential teenage angst?

I don't think there's an equivalent. Stories like those seem to be a mainstay of television in America, not comics.

vareon

You checked Runaways and Fables (the latter isn't a superhero comic though)?

Haly said:
Medieval manga is strangely hard to find however, which is puzzling, because the Tolkien tradition is very much alive in JRPGs. Anime and manga just don't seem to reflect that... until recently where you have all these self-aware RPG satires like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and and Hataraku Maou.

I find JRPG really hard to translate to manga somehow. Decent examples I've seen is Rave (I know) and Fairy Tail. Maybe I just haven't read too much.

Haly

Berserk.....

Berserk is fundamentally different from LOTR, I'm pretty sure.

I haven't even read Berserk, but I get the impression that it's more like Game of Thrones or some other grimdark fantasy.

survivor

Banned
I'm 90% sure I remember reading the first volume of Runaways long time ago. Or at least I read something with Runaways in its name.

Read Nao of Brown, it's very pretentious and hipsterish.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I find JRPG really hard to translate to manga somehow. Decent examples I've seen is Rave (I know) and Fairy Tail. Maybe I just haven't read too much.

Rave isn't really all that bad. It starts off pretty weak but gets pretty awesome around the time the art starts looking more like One Piece. It's better than Fairy Tail at least.

I'm 90% sure I remember reading the first volume of Runaways long time ago. Or at least I read something with Runaways in its name.

Read Nao of Brown, it's very pretentious and hipsterish.

Western hipster books? Hawkeye and Young Avengers are plenty hipster. Well hipsters like Hawkeye at least.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Ubel Blatt is kind of Post-LOTR.

Thanks.

Berserk.....

Nah... from what I can gather Berserk is unlike LOTR at all; it's more of a one-man army/journey instead all banding together stuff, right?

I haven't even read Berserk, but I get the impression that it's more like Game of Thrones or some other grimdark fantasy.

I know which why i put so many dots .
Truth is the only manga i can think of that like LOTR is Record of Lodoss War but the manga series really short.

Nah... from what I can gather Berserk is unlike LOTR at all; it's more of a one-man army/journey instead all banding together stuff, right?

Guts does travel with a group but i was fooling around when i type berserk .

Haly

Can't be that hard.

You have:

1) Hero from humble origins
2) Hero goes on adventure for some reason or other
3) Hero gathers allies who help him on his journey
4) Hero grinds trash mobs to get progressively more powerful, rest of the party does the same
5) Hero beats sub bosses one after the other, each stronger than the last
6) It turns out Hero was never really from humble origins after all, and their actions in the present are actually the continuation of a story that started long ago in the past
7) Hero beats the big bad, lives happily ever after

What mangas can you think of that work like this?

That's right, all of them.

Aizo

Banned

I recommend reading Berserk to everyone. I have yet to meet a person who dislikes it; this includes a woman who writes feminist academic essays as a profession. (I mention this only to drive the point that Berserk is not just for teenagers who love grimdark.)

Imawa no Kuni no Alice 1-6

How the hell do you go from something like Hyde and Closer to this? Not that I'm complaining, it's pretty cool so far.

Game of death, potentially post-apocalyptic scenario, interesting characters; this has a ton of potential and some pretty damn good art. Still kind of jarring the guy went from a standard and light-hearted battle shounen to something like this. Takes skill to pull it off as well, and he's doing it so far.

I remember reading 4-5 years ago Vampire knight and thinking it was kinda interesting, but damn that incest. I stopped reading it at chapter 42-43 i think.

Can't be that hard.

You have:

1) Hero from humble origins
2) Hero goes on adventure for some reason or other
3) Hero gathers allies who help him on his journey
4) Hero grinds trash mobs to get progressively more powerful, rest of the party does the same
5) Hero beats sub bosses one after the other, each stronger than the last
6) It turns out Hero was never really from humble origins after all, and their actions in the present are actually the continuation of a story that started long ago in the past
7) Hero beats the big bad, lives happily ever after

What mangas can you think of that work like this?

That's right, all of them.

That only works for battle manga :D

SNK is so predictable. I can guess that there are several Kyojin/human hybrids that will show up later.

dumbyugi

Demon Lord at Work! 9

After seeing all this in the fantastic anime adaptation this all just seems worse in comparison. Maou's demon form isn't as powerful looking in this version, in fact the characters in general don't look as good as their anime counterparts. It's still enjoyable though and I imagine it'll adapt stuff past where the anime will end so I keep reading.

duckroll

Magi - Whatever the latest chapter is

Fuck this manga. It's really sad how it has really dropped to this level. The last 10 chapters or so are like.... all the same thing just presented in different ways. Truly the lowest form of shounen action. It's not even entertaining. It's just random characters we've never seen before who will never matter to the plot again "powering up" to beam spam stuff until a more important STORY CHARACTER appears, poses, says some shit, and then everyone goes "WOOOOOOOOOOOW!", and then BLACK RUKH REGENERATION panels, etc. Really fucking lazy writing.

I think we can probably come up with a Magi chapter generator by now. :p

Which is why I don't understand the lack of medieval swords and magic aesthetic in battle manga. It's the prototypical setup, yet nothing plays it straight.

It would be great if there was a manga about Greek mythology. It would be interesting to see how the Japanese depict it.

Haly

It would be great if there was a manga about Greek mythology. It would be interesting to see how the Japanese depict it.

I've seen it.

It involves gay sex.

Which is not all that inaccurate.

Priapus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom