• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
LiK said:
Soldier is great. Switchin weapons and using various ammo types along with adrenaline. Btw, once you can get an extra power that makes it even better.
Yeah. I love being a soldier in this. Unlike Mass Effect 1, I find that I'm using EVERY weapon to my advantage. They really nailed combat in this. Ammo and all. I love it. :D

WrikaWrek said:
Mass Effect 1 story blows, there's like 0 character development and the only thing it had going for it was a good villain and an amazing final hour of game.

silly goose, there was a ton of character development in mass effect 1 - except they didn't involve fetch quests in different parts of the galaxy - you had much more insightful and engaging dialogue with your team mates on-board - whether it was wrex/genophage/mercenary/family armor or ashley/sister/military/xenophobia or kaeden/shitty childhood/murderous rage or liara/pureblood/bookish/conflicted feelings about her mother or citadel council/anderson/etc who were on your ass all day

the IM makes an appearance like 5 total times and only for brief moments at that... which is sad because the character was so well-done i was hoping he would turn out to be a secret defector reaper or something and have extended monologue about his reasons to support humanity through this shell of a human being...

hell even dr. chakwas was more interesting in part 1 than in part 2

the ONLY reason you people are saying "character development" for ME2 is because the plot is setup to semi-mandate the side stories and you are forced to experience them. the reality is that outside of maybe 2 or 3 (?) of the side-stories, they were all pretty forgettable and were mostly cliched -

some of you need to go back to ME1 and replay the game - outside of the crappy MAKO stuff, the actual dialogue/depth of main storyline is far superior to ME2 - whether it was the human party, attacking cerberus facilities, arguing with the citadel, committing the genocide of the rachni again - some really really serious stuff - i challenge anyone to find something of a similar magnitude in ME2?
there was the genophase cure from mordin's mission, and the decision to killlswtich a missile, but anything more significant than that?

ME2 IN THEORY was setup for something really amazing - but it all just felt rushed and hurried... whether it was
shepard's revival and decision to work with Cerberus, the introduction of the illusive man, or even your chats with ashley and liara
- the pacing and lack of extended dialogue trees in the game was designed for people who want to play gears of war, not people who want to play an RPG or even those people who really enjoyed ME1 - there was also a limited sense of discovery like there was running around the citadel in ME1 and meeting random people who had missions or dialogue options

the biggest sin ME2 commits is that the main story was WEAK overall - it is sad, because it was setup to be something quite amazing. if they had just followed the lead setup in ME1 and had a beacon or collector under interrogation or SOMETHING to help us understand more about the grand plan a bit more - hell they could have invented the anti-Reapers from Andromeda galaxy and left it at that and setup the third one for a massive inter-galactic war between reapers/anti-reapers and the civilizations in both galaxies

also, one last thing i want to mention - the final mission's game play was also very disappointing - it was a series of 3 at a time enemy attacks - i hoped it would be something more unique than duck and cover, duck and cover, duck and cover which i got sick of doing in the side-quests - the
reaper derelict ship and freedom's hope had more varied gameplay

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is this all available DLC currently? Or am I missing anything?
-Terminus Weapon and Armor
-Sentry Interface (Dr. Pepper)
-Recon Hood (Dr. Pepper)
-Umbra Visor (Dr. Pepper)
-Collectors' Weapon and Armor
-Incisor Sniper Rifle
-Inferno Armor
-Blood Dragon Armor
-Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (Cerberus Network)
-Normandy Crash Site (Cerberus Network)

Ephemeris

The Lamonster said:
lol yeah I'd love to see
Before
rj4eu1.jpg

After
5mgxex.jpg

Fellow Gaffer Theta11 took those.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Solo said:
Forgot to mention that the handling of Rachni Queen decision you made in the first game in ME2 was awful.

I think it might pay off good in ME3, in ME2 bioware was just saying they did not forget what you did in ME1

Ephemeris said:
Before
rj4eu1.jpg

After
5mgxex.jpg

Fellow Gaffer Theta11 took those.

Whoa that's pretty damn cool. I never drank anything from that bar, now I will try it tonight.

Stallion Free said:
Is this all available DLC currently? Or am I missing anything?
-Terminus Weapon and Armor
-Sentry Interface (Dr. Pepper)
-Recon Hood (Dr. Pepper)
-Umbra Visor (Dr. Pepper)
-Collectors' Weapon and Armor
-Incisor Sniper Rifle
-Inferno Armor
-Blood Dragon Armor
-Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (Cerberus Network)
-Normandy Crash Site (Cerberus Network)
I will gift someone MS points for a working Collector's code

FrankT

Yea it's pretty hilarious.

And I really want to know how to do this because I definitely did not experience this awesomeness;

2rypwrq.gif

Ephemeris

neojubei said:
Whoa that's pretty damn cool. I never drank anything from that bar, now I will try it tonight.

I wonder why my picture of Liara doesn't show the truth. >_>

I feel betrayed! Should have romanced Tali instead.:lol

Ephemeris

Peff said:
I got the weapon/armor with the DLC but bought the CE, it's the same thing, right?
yup
Jtyettis said:
Yea it's pretty hilarious.

And I really want to know how to do this because I definitely did not experience this awesomeness;

2rypwrq.gif

I love that gif. I opted to beat up some Turians instead.

Peff said:
I got the weapon/armor with the DLC but bought the CE, it's the same thing, right?
Yeah, it's the code that came in the Collector's Edition. I wanted to get one but missed out because they sold out and I really want that armor and assault rifle!

Peff

The Lamonster said:
Yeah, it's the code that came in the Collector's Edition. I wanted to get one but missed out because they sold out and I really want that armor and assault rifle!

So do you want mine then :lol ?

Coxswain

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
silly goose, there was a ton of character development in mass effect 1 - except they didn't involve fetch quests in different parts of the galaxy - you had much more insightful and engaging dialogue with your team mates on-board - whether it was wrex/genophage/mercenary/family armor or ashley/sister/military/xenophobia or kaeden/shitty childhood/murderous rage or liara/pureblood/bookish/conflicted feelings about her mother or citadel council/anderson/etc who were on your ass all day
No you didn't. The only characters in the first game with the amount of on-ship development on par with all of the characters in ME2 were Wrex, and either Kaidan or Ashley if you happened to be romancing them. Otherwise, Garrus and non-romanced Kaidan/Ashley were good conceptual characters that had extremely bare-bones dialogue to develop them. Tali and Liara were only really "characters" in a very technical sense, and were mostly there to just spew out infodumps about their respective races.

Every character in ME2 has as much on-ship dialogue as the best of the characters from the first game and there's nearly twice as many characters and none of them are infodumps except for Legion (which is actually very fitting considering his nature) and they've all got fairly extensive missions that delve further into their respective backstories/identities.

Mass Effect 1 wasn't the most abysmal game ever for character development, but there's really no comparison between it and ME2.

Cep

Banned
Coxswain said:
No you didn't. The only characters in the first game with the amount of on-ship development on par with all of the characters in ME2 were Wrex, and either Kaidan or Ashley if you happened to be romancing them. Otherwise, Garrus and non-romanced Kaidan/Ashley were good conceptual characters that had extremely bare-bones dialogue to develop them. Tali and Liara were only really "characters" in a very technical sense, and were mostly there to just spew out infodumps about their respective races.

Every character in ME2 has as much on-ship dialogue as the best of the characters from the first game and there's nearly twice as many characters and none of them are infodumps except for Legion (which is actually very fitting considering his nature) and they've all got fairly extensive missions that delve further into their respective backstories/identities.

Mass Effect 1 wasn't the most abysmal game ever for character development, but there's really no comparison between it and ME2.

Agreed across the board.

Only possible exceptions are Miranda and Jacob. Their loyalty missions save them, but just barely.

bryehn

pringles said:
33 hours in, lvl 16, still feel like I have a long, long way to go before beating this game (only done 1 loyalty quest).

Damn this game is huge.

Are people sleeping with their Xbox on? I'm at roughly 25 hours, level 23 and I've been scanning every single planet and doing all the missions, even the tiny fetch quests and stuff. I read all the planet codex entries, etc too. I expect to clock in under 32 hours. No idea how people are clocking 40-60 hours.

Cep

Banned
bryehn said:
Are people sleeping with their Xbox on? I'm at roughly 25 hours, level 23 and I've been scanning every single planet and doing all the missions, even the tiny fetch quests and stuff. I read all the planet codex entries, etc too. I expect to clock in under 32 hours. No idea how people are clocking 40-60 hours.

Real men play(and die) on insanity.

My first run (insanity) took me 64hours.

Now that i know what I am doing, my current one will last less than half that.

Ephemeris

Cep said:
Real men play(and die) on insanity.

My first run (insanity) took me 64hours.

Now that i know what I am doing, my current one will last less than half that.

Unless it counts the loading times? I mean, I never installed the game to the 360 and those loading times were pretty long..

Just finished it last night.

Really took my time and enjoyed it. Finished every mission and sidequest, with everyone in my crew surviving the
assault on the Collector base
, which I found suitably epic. Loved every minute of the ~45 hrs it took me.

In terms of the locations you get to visit, and especially the characters you meet along the way, I found it much better than ME1, and I'd probably say it's the superior game of the two overall. Still, I found the narrative structure and the story itself, (what little there is anyway), in ME2 inferior to those of its predecessor, but again, the interactions you have with the characters, which is what I like best about the series, make up for a lot of those shortcomings.

Of course, the soundtrack was nowhere near as memorable as that of the first game, either.

They're clearly setting up a formidable threat for ME3 with the
Reaper fleet approaching the Milky Way
. Can't wait to see where they take us in the final act.

wRATH2x

Banned
Ephemeris said:
I never maxed mine and I got them. :/
I took Miranda's side in her argument with Jack since I wanted to bang her, and in Zaeed's mission I saved the civilians.

And apparently I have to max out either paragon or renegade to make em loyal, and there is only a tiny bit of paragon left, yet I don't know what to do to max it.

ok 2nd night of playing ME2 last night. didn't really get far in.

damn, did tali get a makeover? she looks hotter than before. maybe its the sexier outfit?

damn miranda is a bitch.. and a huge ass! how do you unlock her black outfit?

does the DLC bring down the sky have any significance in ME2? such as catching balek?

Won

Wrath2X said:
I took Miranda's side in her argument with Jack since I wanted to bang her, and in Zaeed's mission I saved the civilians.

And apparently I have to max out either paragon or renegade to make em loyal, and there is only a tiny bit of paragon left, yet I don't know what to do to max it.

You have to do the loyalty quests to get people loyal. If you fail making them loyal during that or they lose loyalty after that you can't get that back.

Speaking of Miranda, my only regret is that I never got a chance to plant my space seed in her during my first playthrough. What a fucking ice queen. I assume there's no way to do so after you've finished the main storyline and are just tooling around the galaxy, right?

I'll definitely have to put my, uh, talents to better use in my Insanity run. :D

thorin

macfoshizzle said:

damn, did tali get a makeover? she looks hotter than before. maybe its the sexier outfit?

does the DLC bring down the sky have any significance in ME2? such as catching balek?

You unlock alternate costumes by doing loyalty quests. Keep talking to your teammates between missions and those quests will open up.

No idea about the DLC though.

macfoshizzle said:

The Galactic News in the Citadel mentions the BDtS story but I'm not sure if you ever run into any of the characters from it.

KillerAJD

Just wanted to say,
Mordin breaking out into song
was the most amazing thing ever! :lol Also, turning mip-mapping to the highest setting in CCC made a fuckton difference. I advise anybody with an ATI card that uses CCC to turn that shit up RIGHT NOW if you're thinking the textures are looking a little less than fantastic. It doesn't fix everything, but after turning it on I could actually locate where Mordin's nostrils were :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
While the soundtrack as a whole falters compared to the original, boy does it have some good tracks. The Illusive Man theme is stupid good, and I love the theme for the Collectors. That eery hum that sounds slightly out of tune is mint, sci-fi synth.

Specifically this part.

thorin

KillerAJD said:
Just wanted to say,
Mordin breaking out into song
was the most amazing thing ever! :lol

I love how Shepard doesn't even react or compliment the poor guy. :lol

LiK

EatChildren said:
While the soundtrack as a whole falters compared to the original, boy does it have some good tracks. The Illusive Man theme is stupid good, and I love the theme for the Collectors. That eery hum that sounds slightly out of tune is mint, sci-fi synth.

Specifically this part.
I love the title music

thorin

The Lamonster said:
How can I get this to happen? Is it related to his loyalty quest?

On the Normandy, after the loyalty quest. Talk to him until he mentions singing and then ask him about that.

KillerAJD

The Lamonster said:
How can I get this to happen? Is it related to his loyalty quest?
I'm not sure. I've already finished his, but it happened after I had just finished Tali's loyalty quest. As soon as I got back on the Normandy, I went to talk to him, and after bugging him a bit, it eventually led to that. :lol That shit was fantastic. I should have recorded it on my third replay, but I figure somebody else already has it on youtube. Then I went to record it anyways, since I'd have a 1080p, 60fps version, but I accidentally said goodbye and he won't bring it up again. I could just go back a quicksave, but I'm to impatient, :lol

I wish there was more post game dialogue, and crew interaction. I want more to do with my finished Shepard playthrough. I guess that's what DLC is for.

*waits impatiently*

EmCeeGramr said:
I think that's more like, "you just got drunk off your ass, now she looks younger."

Yeah, I don't think they are trying to say that the Asari are using some sort of mind control to make themselves more attractive....that would be cool as hell and an interesting twist to canon though.

That conversation was very interesting though. I always wondered why Turians and Salarians would be interested in Asari. Although I don't really buy that the Asari look similar to those species (I mean, c'mon, they are obviously based on humans), it was an interesting way to explain that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Net_Wrecker said:
I wish there was more post game dialogue, and crew interaction. I want more to do with my finished Shepard playthrough. I guess that's what DLC is for.

*waits impatiently*

Make sure that you talk to EDI. Her blocks are removed and she can talk freely now.

Just finished it around the 25 hour mark. Oh boy was that last act an epic hour or so. Absolutely unrelentless, with a fantastic ending to boot. I wasn't expecting the strongest ending what with it being the middle installment of a trilogy, but I want to be playing Mass Effect 3 now. I finished at level 28, too, which I thought was pretty damn good.

I'm fairly sure I did every side quest, so my next playthrough on Insanity will be focused on getting all of the achievements I missed (mostly related to biotic attacks), getting to 30 and also
keeping all my team alive in Omega 4
And, of course, I'm going to choose a different ending and make pretty much the complete opposite choice than I did the first time.

Overall, a stunning game. Really impressive what Bioware did in two years, and if they continue like that this it could go down as one of the best game trilogies yet.

Coxswain

Liara T'Soni said:
That conversation was very interesting though. I always wondered why Turians and Salarians would be interested in Asari. Although I don't really buy that the Asari look similar to those species (I mean, c'mon, they are obviously based on humans), it was an interesting way to explain that.
The point is that each species sees the traits that are most similar to their own species in Asari, like the way people are so keyed to recognize human traits that they see faces on doors, sinks, cars, the Virgin Mary on a pancake, and little people on Halo armour.
The Salarian looks at the Asari and sees that they have lizard skin like the Salarians, and thinks that's their most prominent trait. The human sees their body shape and their skin type doesn't really register, and the Turian sees that their squid-head is the same shape as a Turian's fringe, while not really 'getting' what the other two are seeing.

Honestly, I'm surprised how many people heard that conversation and actually thought the "mind control" idea was meant to be serious and not just a bunch of stupid drunk talk. I thought the joke was kind of obvious.

Ephemeris

EatChildren said:
While the soundtrack as a whole falters compared to the original, boy does it have some good tracks. The Illusive Man theme is stupid good, and I love the theme for the Collectors...

Had that one looping for a while now.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom