• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

IoCaster

Kaako said:
My ending spoilers:

Gained the loyalty of every mofo in my group. Every single member survived and I tapped Miranda's ass before the final battle. My team was a beast. Every member upgraded to full everything + their specialty weapons/armor/skill. I had 200,000+ of every elements(needed for upgrades) after fully upgrading everyone and myself except element zero cause I farmed the living shit outta them planets after fully upgrading my ship as well.
Such a beast rolling through the galaxy. Thank you Bioware for the good times. :D

Oh man, that set my mind at ease
I was seriously concerned that I'd have to Virmire one or more of my squad regardless of how well I played it out. Thanks.

On another note, my Amazon release day delivery hasn't shipped yet. :(

At least my PC version is preloaded and hopefully will unlock tomorrow.

Deacan said:
Anyone got any PC performance impressions?

It runs unbelievably well. Makes ME1 look like a joke. Seriously, runs about 60fps at all times except for giant explosive firefights with settings maxed on my midrange system, whereas ME1 choked and sputtered and had sound issues. Hell, it runs much better than Bioshock 1, or Dragon Age.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Black_Ice said:
omg I have not payed any attention to ANY thing on this game... I haven't seen any trailers besides early e3 one, i haven't read a list of any features, I don't know about new characters, or anything...

I do have a couple questions before I pick it up tomorrow though (Please spare all possible spoilers):

-Does this game do a good job for a recap of the ending/story of ME1? I played it all the way through when it first came out buy that was 2 years ago and I really don't remember how shit went down...
-How does ME2 integrate ME1 saves... I'm pretty sure I still have them on my HDD, anything special?
-What is this Terminus Code stuff I'm reading about?
-In comparison to ME1...length of game?

Sorry, didn't read all of the OP because I didn't really want to know any info about it outside of this.

:(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Snapshot King said:
It runs unbelievably well. Makes ME1 look like a joke. Seriously, runs about 60fps at all times except for giant explosive firefights with settings maxed on my midrange system, whereas ME1 choked and sputtered and had sound issues. Hell, it runs much better than Bioshock 1, or Dragon Age.
What's your specs and native res?

damn zaeed looks great. i think my first run at least i'm gonna stick with thane and grunt though.

if i can't have wrex, i guess ill take grunt :/

what a lacking name though. when you heard the name wrex you knew he was the shit. grunt just makes me think of halo grunt and immediately makes ME2 grunt look weak.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Snapshot King said:

Sounds good, as I could get ME running at 60 fps at max settings, apart from a few hiccups.
Now to wait till Friday :(

Lotan

I just played the first couple of hours I'm at the part
where you go get the upgrades doc
and I'm so lost story wise.

I mean I get all the new stuff, mostly, but I can't remember a thing about what happened in the first game. Something about a council or something, but gezzz that was so long ago.

A recap would have been nice. I know there are tons of ways that you could have played the first one, but I started a new Shepard so throwing me a quick bone about what the hell happened previous would have been cool of Bioware.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dan Yo said:
Great to hear. For so long I have excused sub-par combat in RPGs like Deus Ex, Fallout 3, Vampire the Masquerade, and Mass Effect because the justification for crappy combat was always just "Ah well, it's an RPG. Can't expect combat on par with top shooters and action games considering it's an RPG by RPG developers.

Happy to hear that seems to have changed.
I'd trade the better gunplay for VtM level writing or Deus Ex C&C and story interactivity any day. If I could have both, it would be the best game ever, even with say VtM shooting mechanics.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dax01 said:
It's more than two hours for me. I got school tomorrow. I'll be picking it up right after school, though!

Failure!

Looks like I get to post pics after all! :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mac version coming soon?

20100126-qkmtamj8xtxex4t5eq8thf67yt.jpg

Zeliard

HK-47 said:
I'd trade the better gunplay for VtM level writing or Deus Ex C&C and story interactivity any day. If I could have both, it would be the best game ever, even with say VtM shooting mechanics.

Same here. But Mass Effect 2 is simply going in a different direction. I don't mind it nearly as much when the game isn't doing something like, say, labeling itself a "spiritual successor to System Shock 2" and ending up being far from that. Mass Effect 2 has a pretty singular focus and it achieves its goals pretty effectively. I think it's a much better game than the first.

I'm not familiar enough with your taste to say whether or not you'll like the game. I would just advise not to go in expecting it to be similar to a PC RPG classic like Deus Ex or Vampire: The Masquerade, because that's the sort of thing that will lead someone to be disappointed in Mass Effect 2. If you take it for what it is, it's a fine game.

Your buddy is correct about Thane, by the way. Might be the best character to come out of Bioware since, well, HK-47.

So I never played mass effect 1 and don't really have an interest after reading about its faults. I also heard that ME2 is awesome and they fixed the problems from ME1. Is ME2 worth playing without having the background of the first game?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dax01 said:
It won't affect me cause I won't be jealous.

Lies, all lies!

I'm going to be tired as fuck tomorrow morning

Messi

Neodiablo22 said:
So I never played mass effect 1 and don't really have an interest after reading about its faults. I also heard that ME2 is awesome and they fixed the problems from ME1. Is ME2 worth playing without having the background of the first game?

I would think so. Just read the first games plot points on wikipedia, or watch the cinemas on youtube.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Neodiablo22 said:

Im trying to get through ME 1 now before ME 2. Game gets a lot more interesting when you get the galaxy map. I think 99% of people that dont finish ME never get past the Citadel. Once the galaxy map is opened up, its really fascinating exploring all the areas.

Does ME 2 have a galaxy map like ME 1? It better.

Alucrid

Banned
Killthee said:
Mac version coming soon?

20100126-qkmtamj8xtxex4t5eq8thf67yt.jpg

Eh, probably not. That probably signifies that you can use it in Dragon Age: Origins, mac version. Blood Dragon armor comes with DA:O for the PS3, but that probably won't happen.

painey

Im glad there are loyalty missions that force you to use a certain character, I played the entirety of Mass Effect 1 with just 3 people, the two humans and then Wrex when Kaiden died. I think the biggest problem is despite their differences, the AI are too similar in the sense it really doesn't matter who you have with you.

user_nat said:
So the game is pretty much out and yet most places don't have reviews? lame
blame the review embargo not the sites

~Kinggi~ said:
Does ME 2 have a galaxy map like ME 1? It better.
of course

HK-47 said:
Club Afterlife has such cool music. The whole area looks atmospheric as fuck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POHscfRZty8

Best track in the game.. and its not even on the soundtrack. It's from the Need for Speed 4 OST.

Basileus777 said:
Switch it around. There's absolutely no reason to use the same party through the whole game.
This.

That's how I play almost any RPG, I'm so glad Bioware got rid of the "Play the majority of the game with X" achivements.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Alucrid said:
Eh, probably not. That probably signifies that you can use it in Dragon Age: Origins, mac version. Blood Dragon armor comes with DA:O for the PS3, but that probably won't happen.
My DA PS3 BDA and ME2 360 BDA are separate from that ME2 PC/Mac BDA....

20100126-k78pbsa2jxr888jewt9raq7qw8.jpg

I don't think its that crazy for them to release a crummy emulated Mac version of ME2 a couple of weeks later without any fanfare. They did it for DA.....

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
My party will probably consist of
Me (Engineer)
Grunt (Soldier)

I'm not sure about the third one. Probably Thane

ballsofsteel

Neo Member
damn just got finished with the game,(got the game at a mom n pop shop) and all i can say it is HOLY CRAP. i was very skeptical about ME2 i thought ME1 was a good but not great game with ME2 being hyped way too much. boy was i wrong ME2 improves the problems in ME1 and then some. combat is satisfying now(even thought it more shooter than RPG now) the side quests are done in a much better and less time wasting way and it has the best cast of characters in any video game in my opinion. I also that the "interrupt system" was a stupid gimmick but it really does change the way the game is played. All i can say is people better not forget this game when it comes to GOTY time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom