• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

Is there a way to get the Dr Pepper stuff in Canada? It's embarassing that we are not elligible to a promo from a canadian developper :lol .

kai3345 said:
fuuuuck sitting through school tomorrow is going to be torture

Yeah luckily I have a lot to do at work. Kind of.

ballsofsteel said:
damn just got finished with the game,(got the game at a mom n pop shop) and all i can say it is HOLY CRAP. i was very skeptical about ME2 i thought ME1 was a good but not great game with ME2 being hyped way too much. boy was i wrong ME2 improves the problems in ME1 and then some. combat is satisfying now(even thought it more shooter than RPG now) the side quests are done in a much better and less time wasting way and it has the best cast of characters in any video game in my opinion. I also that the "interrupt system" was a stupid gimmick but it really does change the way the game is played. All i can say is people better not forget this game when it comes to GOTY time.

Good to hear, that's kind of how I felt about the first one, didn't help I think I was maybe too dumb to fully grasp the story. :lol

Teknoman

ballsofsteel said:
damn just got finished with the game,(got the game at a mom n pop shop) and all i can say it is HOLY CRAP. i was very skeptical about ME2 i thought ME1 was a good but not great game with ME2 being hyped way too much. boy was i wrong ME2 improves the problems in ME1 and then some. combat is satisfying now(even thought it more shooter than RPG now) the side quests are done in a much better and less time wasting way and it has the best cast of characters in any video game in my opinion. I also that the "interrupt system" was a stupid gimmick but it really does change the way the game is played. All i can say is people better not forget this game when it comes to GOTY time.

Whoa how long have you had the game?

Messi

Inferno313 said:
This.

That's how I play almost any RPG, I'm so glad Bioware got rid of the "Play the majority of the game with X" achivements.

Those achievements are gone. Thank GOD. I never got to play with the other characters because of those stupid achievements.

When I earn skill points on a mission in ME2 does everyone get them, say I play half the game with thane and then switch to jacob, jacob will have loads of unused points?

kai3345 said:

I have to wait till friday, and I get to pick the game up at 9am and be in work at 9:30-8pm. Count yourself lucky you only have a school day. :lol But seriously enjoy the game.

Pretty shitty that the game won't unlock on steam until 6pm tomorrow. But I still have Virmire, Ilos and Galaxy to finish up. So I at least have something to do.

Ephemeris

Inferno313 said:
This.

That's how I play almost any RPG, I'm so glad Bioware got rid of the "Play the majority of the game with X" achivements.

I know I'm the minority here, but I'm gonna miss that. It actually forced me to spend alot of time with the characters.

ballsofsteel

Neo Member
Messi said:
When I earn skill points on a mission in ME2 does everyone get them, say I play half the game with thane and then switch to jacob, jacob will have loads of unused points?
yes when you level up your entire party does to so if you don't use a character for most of the game or gain one toward the end that person will still have the same number for points as Shepard does

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Valru said:
I lost miranda's loyalty after her agreeing with jack during the arguement after me and jack blew up her childhood facility

this is how my ending went... sent jacob though the jacob tubes: jacob > dead, used jack as shield (expect she'd die) and sent samara leading the other team: samara > dead, last part put miranda as the secondary squad leader: miranda > dead (didn't really explain what happened just show her body quickly in a shot.

WTF

HAHA

I sent Legion through the tunnels, Garrus leading my opposite team and Samara to guide us in the biotic shield. they all lived. only Miranda died at the end when a rock fell on her and Shepard decided to leave her there instead of picking her up LOL

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ephemeris said:
I know I'm the minority here, but I'm gonna miss that. It actually forced me to spend alot of time with the characters.
Same. Even though I despised my playthrough with Carth 2.0, I'm gonna miss those achievements.

stupei

One thing that's really surprising me so far is how many of the female faces aren't totally creepy this time out. :lol

Also, the Citadel is kind of incredible. I went straight there as soon as I could and I'm glad I did, I think I could possibly spend even more time here than I did in ME1. There's so much! Minor spoiler from first visit:
when I saw the ads the first time I was amused by then the Elcors performing Hamlet just put it over the top. Isn't that a reference to a fan drawing? Could be wrong, that might have been something done by someone at Bioware, but I do remember seeing a picture of an Elcor holding Yorick's skull.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Zeliard said:
Same here. But Mass Effect 2 is simply going in a different direction. I don't mind it nearly as much when the game isn't doing something like, say, labeling itself a "spiritual successor to System Shock 2" and ending up being far from that. Mass Effect 2 has a pretty singular focus and it achieves its goals pretty effectively. I think it's a much better game than the first.

I'm not familiar enough with your taste to say whether or not you'll like the game. I would just advise not to go in expecting it to be similar to a PC RPG classic like Deus Ex or Vampire: The Masquerade, because that's the sort of thing that will lead someone to be disappointed in Mass Effect 2. If you take it for what it is, it's a fine game.

Your buddy is correct about Thane, by the way. Might be the best character to come out of Bioware since, well, HK-47.

Agreed! I disliked the first game, but this one is one of the better games of this generation! This and demons souls have saved my rpg hobby!

ballsofsteel

Neo Member
stupei said:
One thing that's really surprising me so far is how many of the female faces aren't totally creepy this time out. :lol

Also, the Citadel is kind of incredible. I went straight there as soon as I could and I'm glad I did, I think I could possibly spend even more time here than I did in ME1. There's so much! Minor spoiler from first visit:
when I saw the ads the first time I was amused by then the Elcors performing Hamlet just put it over the top. Isn't that a reference to a fan drawing? Could be wrong, that might have been something done by someone at Bioware, but I do remember seeing a picture of an Elcor holding Yorick's skull.
yea when saw that i lol'd there are a lot of moments like that in ME2

stupei said:

It's a reference to an elevator ad in the first game.

stupei said:

It's a reference to ME1, one of the Elevator announcements talked about it and how it would be weird since Elcors can't express emotion through tone.

Edit: Beaten like Liara's mother.

Truant

Just finished it.

Some decisions were tough, but my love interest survived thanks to some careful planning. Amazing game. Better than the first. It really sold the idea of a 'crew' much better than the original. At first I was 'I want the old guys back!' but after a few hours I was digging these guys.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
stupei said:

Its a reference to an announcement you hear in the Citadel elevator in ME1.

Edit: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ephemeris

Killthee said:
Same. Even though I despised my playthrough with Carth 2.0, I'm gonna miss those achievements.
Yup Yup. Then again, with the elevator convos gone, I guess it's not worth having anymore..

Zeliard

About the characters, if any of you are the types of players that tend to stick with one party for much of the game (as I am), you might be surprised at how often you switch things around in Mass Effect 2. I've been switching around my team a lot more than I usually do in these sorts of games, partly due to the fairly large roster of characters you can recruit, and also due to how uniquely their personalities come across.

Every single team member I've encountered so far feels extremely different from every other one. This also goes for a lot of the characters in general. Characterization in this game is top-notch.

Having said that, I have Thane now and he is probably staying in my immediate team for the rest of the game, frankly. And once I get Zaeed, he'll probably be the permanent #2. I'm sorry, but you can't create characters that spectacularly awesome and expect people to use anyone else.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Agreed! I disliked the first game, but this one is one of the better games of this generation! This and demons souls have saved my rpg hobby!

You have fine taste, sir.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
kai3345 said:
Sounds awful..oh wait, I have class and the disk drive on my 360 failed last night. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Truant said:
Just finished it.

Some decisions were tough, but my love interest survived thanks to some careful planning. Amazing game. Better than the first. It really sold the idea of a 'crew' much better than the original. At first I was 'I want the old guys back!' but after a few hours I was digging these guys.

After seeing the new crew

I no longer want Ashley (Kaiden, your dead to me anyway) or Liara back. Just replace Grunt with Wrex, and I'll call it a fair trade.

Also, for those who are waiting for the reviews to go up... I am about to head to bed as I've been up since 6am since my damn dog decided it was a good time to run around the house, so I am off to bed -- but my review goes live in 45 minutes or so at my publication. Many of you that I have been talking to through PM should know what it is, so feel free to check it out and give me your thoughts.

Truant said:
Just finished it.

That's good to hear. Although, other than one exception, the only people who were worth a damn came back anyway.

Ephemeris

Snuggler said:
Hey, you guys should check out the MASS EFFECT 2 STORY THREAD. You've done fine with tagging the spoilers but you should chat about end stuff over there, just in case, one accidental click could ruin someone's day.

fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck. I scanned your post and swore I read that the thread will be using spoiler tags. Clearly it isn't. I'm off to bed.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ephemeris said:
Wouldn't it be something if you opened your packaging and saw Dragon Age in the box?

.. Just a thought ; )

If that happens, I will post tears on GAF :'(.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ephemeris said:
fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck. I scanned your post and swore I read that the thread will be using spoiler tags. Clearly it isn't. I'm off to bed.

Oh shit, my plan to help backfired. I'm sorry, hopefully it wasn't anything to important.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lotan said:
Ehh... If I wanted to read a story I would pick up a book.

In a nutshell, it's the Matrix. Evil robots wipe out the all lifeforms every several thousand years to keep the galaxy pure and Shepard has to stop them.

Ephemeris

Snuggler said:
Oh shit, my plan to help backfired. I'm sorry, hopefully it wasn't anything to important.

It's my fault. As I said, I misread your post... thought the thread would be well spoiler-tagged since "just in case, one accidental click could ruin someone's day."

I saw " fi_st h_m_n ________" (I took the letters out) and instantly bailed.

AstroMan

Banned
Since ME3 should be a direct sequel (unlike ME2 which took place 2 years after), my living squad SHOULD be available to me right? Also, what are the chances that past members like Wrex(if he's not dead in your save) and Liaria show up to replace fallen team mates?

I totally want Garrus, Thane, Tali, Mordin and Grunt to be available to me for the word go. I also hope there's more planets to actually see and explore. Like Earth and the Turrian homeworld.

Ephemeris

WhiskeyKnight said:
I would also like to know the answer to this.
I've heard you can get all the achievements in one playthrough, so yes. May require importing a level 50 or 60 character though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom