• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
See You Next Wednesday said:
Anyone?

The reviews say the game has a lack of RPG feel, did they take out the towns/explorable stations out?

You still talk to lots of people and the citadel is alive and kicking. The game still feels like a rpg in the same ways the first did. Just a bit more refined and though not as deep (at first glance at least), its still very much got a rpg vibe.

Also not really a spoiler but just funny dialog from a shop owner. Who cracked up when they heard
that guy selling videosgames and talking about trading two games in for 2 credits... or something like that.
I thought it was a immediate poke at stores like gamestop.

Zeliard

Shinjitsu said:
Yes, you get to pick one additional weapon type as any class later in the game.

Oh god. My team will be rolling around with three snipers. :lol

mYm|17| said:
Yea.......about the playing ME2 without having played much of ME1 comment. I am soooooooo glad that I played ME1.

It's a really great game, but definitely helps with you understanding ME2 more. The storyline and characters, etc

That's one thing, though - you're going to want to freshen up on the story and characters if you haven't played ME1 in a while, or ever.

If you don't know who Sovereign is, for example, you probably want to look that up prior to starting Mass Effect 2. They discuss him in the game and basically expect you to know exactly what happened there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This EA runaround with having to input codes every time you buy a new game of theirs is fucking bullshit. This is by far the worst thing they've "invented" this gen.

MMaRsu

Zeliard said:
Oh god. My team will be rolling around with three snipers. :lol

That's one thing, though - you're going to want to freshen up on the story and characters if you haven't played ME1 in a while, or ever.

If you don't know who Sovereign is, for example, you probably want to look that up prior to starting Mass Effect 2. They discuss him in the game and basically expect you to know exactly what happened there.

Isn't Sovereign a hanar on Noveria? He wants you to smuggle something right?

lol

Arde5643

See You Next Wednesday said:
Anyone?

The reviews say the game has a lack of RPG feel, did they take out the towns/explorable stations out?
Nope, you're confusing it with FF13.

They took out the horrendous loot system from the 1st game, took out the crappy and tedious Mako driving, and unfortunately took out customization to your allies' armor.
Your level up stats have also been polished and refined - so no need to spend 1 point to get 1% or 5% upgrade anymore.

Level ups now give you 2-3 seconds cooldown or other beneficial effects right away instead of having to pour 5-10 points to actually have a use of a skill.

However, the level cap is 30 giving you 50 points to fiddle around with and you have 6-7 powers (requiring 10 points each to max out), so there's a lot of experimentation to be had.

Weapon skills are also out so now when you get a weapon your class can use, you can use it right away.

Your armor is also so much more customizable now since you can upgrade and replace almost every part of the armor (helmet, greaves, leggings, chest plate).

Other than that, they've improved combat strategy substantially as well with the simple addition of enemy defenses that's weak to certain weapons/powers but strong against others.
So there's a need to have a good balanced party this time around rather than just spamming immunity and killing everything with the same gun in the first ME.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Ugg, anyone else a little annoyed that you can only get the M-490 Blackstorm heavy weapon from gamestop?

Yah, great I preordered it too, and payed exactly the same amount that everyone else did, but I get less content because I live in a country without that retailer. Awesome.

Also, we don't have Dr Pepper here eather, so no goggles for me.:lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Shinjitsu said:
Yes, you get to pick one additional weapon type as any class later in the game.
OR high quailty exclusive to shep weapon for am existing class

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
mYm|17| said:
the first 10 mins of the game was like.............awesome!!!

like epic EPIC awesome

Fixed that for you.

StUnNeR H2K

I've got the best wife... She brings me lunch at work today... and this!

me2forme_edit.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This decryption process is more painful than waiting for the game to unlock. My goodness it's like 1% per minute, at best. :lol

DY_nasty

I loved how they let me roam around the Normandy looking like a ghetto space lumberjack

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hope that sticker doesn't leave a mark.

Ephemeris

theignoramus said:
Intro is fucking slick. The graphics remind me of Dead Space, but outdoors and with greater draw distance.

Most definitely. As I said before it's the best intro in recent memory

MMaRsu

So why can't I download Zaeeds DLC? I have the cerberus card thing. I already downloaded the Normandy Crash thing too.

kaskade

Inferno313 said:
Just got my copy from Amazon. How am I supposed to get my Inferno Armor?
Amazon will email you the code usually a day or two after the game comes out. Should be in your inbox soon.

Zeliard

Tip for people just jumping in: don't neglect going to shops to buy different upgrades to add to your upgrades list (after which you actually have to use the various elements you find to use them). Some will unlock after you've bought certain upgrades, or by talking to the members of your team, but most upgrades in my experience are unlocked by buying them at shops.

I didn't visit the Citadel at all (or that many shops in general) till after I had recruited a bunch of people, so I sort of neglected that aspect of it.

mYm|17| said:
Yea.......about the playing ME2 without having played much of ME1 comment. I am soooooooo glad that I played ME1.

It's a really great game, but definitely helps with you understanding ME2 more. The storyline and characters, etc

Fuuug. I really wanted to play ME2 SOON without having to trudge through the first one. I loved ME1 but never quite finished it.

DY_nasty

chimster said:
i keep getting no character data found when I'm trying to import (xbox) halp :(
The ME1 save comes from your endgame save. When you beat Saren and went through all the cinematics and stuff, did you wait for it to save?

Lothars

does anyone know if the dr pepper mass effect 2 content is avilable on there website?

I don't want to use the codes until I know for sure that it is and also is the Zaeed - The Price of Revengecontent the normandy crash site or is there another card because on the bioware social site it lists the content for PC but not for xbox 360 which it should, is there another code im missing?

Pancakes

chimster said:
i keep getting no character data found when I'm trying to import (xbox) halp :(

This happened to me as well, I just went back to Mass Effect 1 and replayed the last section. Seems to be the only solution right now.

I was freaking out when it happened to me after the midnight launch :lol.

chimster

DY_nasty said:
The ME1 save comes from your endgame save. When you beat Saren and went through all the cinematics and stuff, did you wait for it to save?

yea I beat the game once and its half way through the 2nd playthrough

Just picked up my copy. When I got there they told me I pre-ordered it. I had completely forgotten I had already put $10 down.:lol
4 more hours until it penetrates my 360.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that only 4 Collectors' Editions are supposed to come in tomorrow - just like the first Mass Effect, the CE really is extra limited all over the world.

Arde5643

Best face I've found in the ME2 faces database:

2.jpg

Character creator has definitely improved compared to the 1st one.

Still plastic wig though, but you take what you get.

Micius

mYm|17| said:

Yeah, I got that feeling too, especially as I started exploring the main worlds. I think I read in one of the pre-release reviews that "you don't feel the impact of decisions being carried over", and I have no clue what they were smoking when they were playing the game to end up with that conclusion. There's literally references to the first game everywhere with an imported save game, letters in the mail, stuff on the news, bumping into familiar faces around every corner. Well, possibly fewer encounters if you went on a renegade killing spree in the first game though... :lol

DY_nasty

chimster said:
yea I beat the game once and its half way through the 2nd playthrough
Is it possible that you beat it under a different gamer profile?

Rhino

Arde5643 said:
Best face I've found in the ME2 faces database:

2.jpg

Character creator has definitely improved compared to the 1st one.

Still plastic wig though, but you take what you get.

Damnit man give us the code!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom