• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

heringer

AgentOtaku said:
lol

this is a PC game release thread IE: more technical talk than game talk =/

That's why I hate PC gaming discussion. Nobody talks about games, it's all about performance. Frustrating, really.

heringer said:
That's why I hate PC gaming discussion. Nobody talks about games, it's all about performance. Frustrating, really.
Nobody is forcing you to talk about performance. Any insights on the game? Go nuts. If you have something to say, there's gonna be someone else on the internet to read it.

FrankT

saunderez said:
Well I'm only about 4 hours in so far so it could be all downhill from here for all I know but so far it's been a fantastic ride.

Most of that comes down to the atmosphere and setting but for me a lot of the enjoyment is coming from how brutally punishing it can be. You rush into a situation and you will die. Often. You take a bit more time to plan your assault (often resorting to stealth) and you can easily overcome what looked impossible moments earlier.

One thing though, today the 360 version was patched which made the game much better for me. Adjustable gamma being an important one but the main change is a complete overhaul of the weapon selection. Instead of using the dpad to change weapons like the default config you can choose a circular weapon selection option that brings up a radial menu on holding Y. An added bonus is that pressing Y now switches to your melée weapon. This change has made the game much less frustrating for me though I'm still trying to unlearn the original controls.

Sounds great. I'll make sure I patch in first thing then.

Sooo...

I have a 5770, 8 gigs of RAM, and a q9550 oc'ed to 3.4ghz. How well will this run?

If I can tear myself away from Bad Company 2, definitely going for this.

heringer said:

Getting the best out of your hardware is pretty damn important when a new and demanding game has just launched. No one knew that the DX11 DOF was a huge framerate killer before this thread or that the AAA can give similar quality to MSAA with a huge increase in performance. Knowing just those two things could totally transform your framerate and thus eventual experience with the game, so its very useful knowledge to have. Not everyone wants to endlessly tweak, so its nice that those of us happy to do so are able to point other users in the right direction.

You're free to discuss the gameplay and plenty of people already have.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
dionysus said:
On the linearity scale, where does it fall? HL2 being linear, Crysis being in the middle, and Far Cry 2/Stalker being non-linear.

it's linear to the core.

Alucrid

Banned
brain_stew said:
Shot from the PC version on LOW settings:

Looks to hold up really well so those with lesser hardware need not fear. As expected its pretty similar to the 360 version (better if anything).

More comparisons of the various settings here:

These are with "max" setting at 720p (not sure on the AA or DX level). There's a huge difference as expected but the 360 holds up pretty well and the texture detail is rather good, maybe that would be different at higher resolutions but at 720p the texture definition is closer than you might think.

Uhh, "Above you see on each comparison photo, the PC version of Metro 2033, below the Xbox 360 version." For the first picture, is that saying that the PC version is above and the xbox is below, or is it saying that the PC version is below the Xbox 360 version.

Mr. Snrub said:
Damn...guess that's $50 saved :-\

Why? The 5770 seems to run the game quite well at high settings plus AAA judging by what everyone else has been indicating. DX11 effects are probably off bounds but it'll still look great.

Ceebs

Anyone know how to get it to run in windowed mode?

Also I am getting 45-70 FPS indoors and like 35 FPS during that outdoor part in the intro on high with DX10 and 16X AF on with a Phenom II X2 550, 4GB ram, and a 1GB 4870.

Alucrid said:
Uhh, "Above you see on each comparison photo, the PC version of Metro 2033, below the Xbox 360 version." For the first picture, is that saying that the PC version is above and the xbox is below, or is it saying that the PC version is below the Xbox 360 version.

Is it not obvious enough? :lol

That's a google translated page, but the big Xbox and PC logos are kind of a hint and even without them there should be no doubt which is which when you go fullscreen.

PC is on top

brain_stew said:
Why? The 5770 seems to run the game quite well at high settings plus AAA judging by what everyone else has been indicating. DX11 effects are probably off bounds but it'll still look great.

I just took AgentOtaku's response to be "don't even bother".

heringer

Odious Tea said:
Nobody is forcing you to talk about performance. Any insights on the game? Go nuts. If you have something to say, there's gonna be someone else on the internet to read it.
Actually, I want to read insights of the game, and I have to scavenger through a multitude of pages and posts about videocards and performance issues to find a couple of peoploe talking about the game.

I just think it would be much better if people could focus all the technical discussion on a more specific thread. But maybe that's just me.

GreekWolf

Alucrid said:

It expands the pics in another window if you click on them, and shows the 360 version on the bottom. The port looks really impressive.

Mr. Snrub said:
I just took AgentOtaku's response to be "don't even bother".

Pretty sure he just wanted to know the same as you. See Ceebs post above you and note that in the PCgames.de benchmarks that your 5770 performs better than his 5770.

Alucrid

Banned
brain_stew said:
Is it not obvious enough? :lol

That's a google translated page, but the big Xbox and PC logos are kind of a hint and even without them there should be no doubt which is which when you go fullscreen.

PC is on top

Whoa. I honestly did not see the logos. Wtf? :lol

Hmm, I think I'll go for the PC version. I'm sure my 9600GT can run it as good if not better than the 360.

heringer said:
I may be a junior but I've lurked here for a few years and one flaw I see with NeoGAF is gaming threads with PC tech talk. As a forum goes, this place is almost perfect othewise IMO. Its not that I have to take part in the situation, I want to read impressions and gameplay discussion and there is no way to avoid seeing all the tech talk.

Back on topic, I'm waiting for more impressions from the 360 version before I decide to get it. I love the look of it though.

From Steam forum:

you can adjust pretty much every setting (including mouse sensitivity) here:

Users\<USER NAME>\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033\user.cfg

you can also adjust the horrible default FOV, which is 45 (wtf were they thinking?).

you can also put in:

g_global_god on
g_god on
g_unlimitedammo on

lol, just make sure u make the user.cfg file read only

Anyone tried enabling what seems to be global illumination?

Dennis

Banned
Slo said:
Can't wait until my 5850 gets here so I can waffle back and forth between DX10 @ playable rates and DX11 at 10 fps. Knowing me, I'll probably be in DX11 more often than not. :lol
I can relate. I am such a graphics whore that I will endure very low fps if I have to.

I played through Crysis at 2560x1600 with 4xAA at about 15-20 fps but dammit, I loved every second :lol

Reknoc

My copy of the book came today which is earlier than expected. Bigger than I thought it would be (especially compared to the dinky Roadside Picnic) not much of me finishing reading the book before my copy of the game arrives. :(

Dennis

Banned
KoruptData said:
I may be a junior but I've lurked here for a few years and one flaw I see with NeoGAF is gaming threads with PC tech talk. As a forum goes, this place is almost perfect othewise IMO. Its not that I have to take part in the situation, I want to read impressions and gameplay discussion and there is no way to avoid seeing all the tech talk.

Back on topic, I'm waiting for more impressions from the 360 version before I decide to get it. I love the look of it though.
I feel just the opposite - I want more tech talk on GAF :lol

Maybe for some high profile PC games there will interest enough that we can have two threads running - one for gameplay impressions/opinions and one for tech/tweaking talk.

Personally, before I even really start playing a PC game in scourer the internet for tweaking/optimization tips - tweaking the .ini is half the fun :lol

acm2000

so hows the framerate of the 360 port? in interview they said uncapped it runs 40-50fps, so i assume its solid 30fps? also, 720p? sounds like theyre using their own weird AAA tech for aliasing tho

Mr. Snrub said:
Oh, I get it now...my system is considered good for this game. Excellent! :lol

I've got an Athlon II X4 630, 5770 (@ 940/1250), and 4GB of RAM and the game gets pretty choppy on DX11/Very High even at 1024x768. Stick DX10/High and you should be alright.

I've put 2 hours into the game so far and I'm kind of regretting the purchase already. I don't mind linearity in a game but the scripting here is...bad. The monsters are just not fun to fight at all either. Again, I don't mind conserving ammo or anything but the monsters come right up on you making it hard to target them and you end up wasting so much ammo. Forget trying to play the PC version with a 360 pad, it's awful. I don't think there's anyway to manually save either and restarting from the checkpoints over and over again from stupid deaths (falling, AI partner getting killed, etc.) is frustrating.

LovingSteam said:
Hmm haven't gotten very far but what I have experienced I like a lot. I actually liked the shooting. It isn't easy and simplified but yet its not too difficult, if that makes sense. The atmosphere so far is definitely impressive. The little details are what stick out for me. The lighting is simply fantastic. Visually its a mix between very realistic and Uncharted 2 in regards to the artistic design. If the game continues at this level I will definitely not be sorry to have spent $50 for the 8-10 hours it supposedly takes the first time around.
Cool, thanks.

Since I don't have powerful gaming rug, I'm going to get this on the 360. Can't wait to hear the impressions on it.

Peterthumpa

brain_stew said:
Its only a quality thing. There's still depth of field in DX10 mode, just check out any one of a number of DX10 shots posted.
I wonder if this could mean that running in DX10 mode could give me a better performance than DX11 with the same IQ/effects, as Tessellation and Advanced DOF are disabled by me in DX11 anyway...

Hmmm . . . there seems to be a bunch of user configuration files for this game. Off the top of my memory, there's one in the Metro 2033 folder, one in the steam cloud (the 40332 folder or whatever it's called) folder, and now this one. Are there actually 3?

I'm still trying to work around the "black screen/audio only" issue. Which is the one the game reads?

Calantus

brain_stew said:
Shot from the PC version on LOW settings:

Looks to hold up really well so those with lesser hardware need not fear. As expected its pretty similar to the 360 version (better if anything).

More comparisons of the various settings here:

http://translate.googleusercontent....om&usg=ALkJrhg0cKi22q8neRMIvjMzaAEknZe8Sg#top

And a comparison to the 360 version (sadly the 360's gamma seems to be slightly borked):

http://translate.googleusercontent....om&usg=ALkJrhhi_yNgWLsuSX3crYbGzH92tWPAOw#top

These are with "max" setting at 720p (not sure on the AA or DX level). There's a huge difference as expected but the 360 holds up pretty well and the texture detail is rather good, maybe that would be different at higher resolutions but at 720p the texture definition is closer than you might think.

Well that settles it, i'm buying it :D

lol, alt-tabbed over to Task Manager ...holy shit this guy is engaging those cores!

Also

How do you enable Russian VA?
Didn't see the option in the Sound Menu

george_us

Damn this game came out of nowhere for me. I just watched some of the videos and it looks freaking amazing. I can pick this up off of Amazon for $40 with the $10 credit I earned from God of War III. Decisions...

I have to agree with the people saying the obsessive technical talk is really dragging this thread down.

I'm a PC gamer to the core. I'm playing this game on PC, and I play most other games on PC. Obviously I want my games to run well. But this is also a GAME, not just a piece of technology, and in an official thread what I'm usually a lot more interested in is discussion how the actual game plays and what people think of it.

Would there be room for a separate thread for these purposes? Stuff like this really creates the wrong impression of PC gamers and PC games when the ratio of technical to game talk starts to become this unbalanced, in my opinion. I guess for some people this is the most fun part, or one of the most fun parts, but certainly not to me, and probably not to most PC gamers, and definitely not to the people who are playing this game on the other platform it was developed for.

Chris Remo said:
I have to agree with the people saying the obsessive technical talk is really dragging this thread down.

I'm a PC gamer to the core. I'm playing this game on PC, and I play most other games on PC. Obviously I want my games to run well. But this is also a GAME, not just a piece of technology, and in an official thread what I'm usually a lot more interested in is discussion how the actual game plays and what people think of it.

Would there be room for a separate thread for these purposes? Stuff like this really creates the wrong impression of PC gamers and PC games when the ratio of technical to game talk starts to become this unbalanced, in my opinion. I guess for some people this is the most fun part, or one of the most fun parts, but certainly not to me, and probably not to most PC gamers, and definitely not to the people who are playing this game on the other platform it was developed for.
I don't see the need, but if enough people feel strongly enough about it, it's probably the most elegant solution.

i might pick this game up after i beat STALKER:COP, I stop playing when i got BFBC2. Boy was playing BFBC2 single player like eating dog shit, i had to keep playing just to see how bad the linear corridors get.

My question, is this game modable yet like Crysis? Where the different config files would completely change how the level look?

Chris Remo said:

I think there is a subset of us that was only really interested in the game due to the technical kung fu these guys did. I guess we would call those guys graphics whores. But i think we have to wait till the whole Gee Wiz factor of graphics goes away we get more detail of how the gameplay is. I think this is the same thing that happened when Crysis came out.

No_Style

So how's the stealth aspect working out? Are the enemies dumb as nails when the lights go out? Or do they actively search for you once they hear you or catch a glimpse of you? It's the one aspect which caught my attention during the walkthroughs.

Top Bottom