• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Wii U Edition |OT| Fashionably late

Exile20

vIuwnTy.jpgf

System Wii U(Eshop)
Release Date Dec 17, 2015
No. of Players up to 8 players online/4 players local
Category Action, Adventure
Publisher Mojang AB
Developer 4J Studios Ltd. / Microsoft Studios
Price $29.99

Minecraft: Wii U Edition includes add-on content packs:
Battle & Beasts Skin Pack
Battle & Beasts 2 Skin Pack
Natural Texture Pack
City Texture Pack
Fantasy Texture Pack
Festive Mash-up Pack

Minecraft: Wii U Edition supports
- Voice Chat
- USB keyboard for typing/chat
- Wii U Pro Controller support

Minecraft is a game about placing blocks and going on adventures.

Explore randomly-generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles. Play in Creative Mode with unlimited resources or mine deep into the world in survival mode, crafting weapons and armour to fend off the dangerous mobs.

Craft, create, and explore alone, or with up to four players in split-screen and up to eight online.

To experience split-screen functionality a high-definition television is required.

The game supports the following languages via an in-game language select function; English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.

Screenshots:
JhGkGzU.jpg

Gbr6tzp.jpg

RrHHKBn.jpg

47QsU7Z.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4gAWZ3eG_E#action=share
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzqqcLOxgU&feature=youtu.be

While it's disappointing that this version is essentially a ps360 port and thus limited considerable in terms of survival aspect. I will say I always considered minecraft survival to be one of the weakest part without the support of mods. Minecraft is best in my opinion as a tool for creativity and with that in mind this version is perfectly fine as the world size available shouldn't interfere with that aspect though you won't be creating a 1 to1 recreation of middle earth on it.

Exile20

While it's disappointing that this version is essentially a ps360 port and thus limited considerable in terms of survival aspect. I will say I always considered minecraft survival to be one of the weakest part without the support of mods. Minecraft is best in my opinion as a tool for creativity and with that in mind this version is perfectly fine as the world size available shouldn't interfere with that aspect though you won't be creating a 1 to1 recreation of middle earth on it.

I might pick it up to see how it is. not using the gamepad is the biggest disappointment for me.

fernoca

Picking this in a few minutes (just finished watching The Force Awakens).

And should be noted in the main post (just in case) that Wii U exclusive content is coming at a later date. What or when, noone knows yet.

Maybe it's my imagination but walking speed seems to be slower than my PS4 version

Also it has pro controller support but doesn't seem to have wii classic control support, if anyone needs multiplayer.

ChrisD

Can you use USB keyboards on the other console editions?

Not worth quintuple-dipping, but that's a nice feature.

sonto340

Worth noting that one player on the TV one player on the Gamepad is not supported which is a HUGE bummer. I'd hope it gets patched in because they rushed this shit because of Christmas but I have my doubts.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Should've offered a basic version without the dlc for cheaper.

Wondering if any future WiiU-specific dlc will have a pricetag on it or not.

Proper Gamepad support and I'll bite. For now it's on my waiting list...

Nice that it's finally coming though. A few kids may be really happy to see the end of their nightmare.. the only one in the school not having Minecraft :eek:

Effect

Should've offered a basic version without the dlc for cheaper.

Wondering if any future WiiU-specific dlc will have a pricetag on it or not.

It really could go either way. Nintendo will sell DLC but they can just as easily be willing to give it away for free to keep people engaged with a game. I assume to keep it in the spotlight so others will buy it allowing for it to keep selling.

The only other versions of Minecraft I have is on the PC (should really play it more but I don't make the time) and the Kindle Fire version that was free a while ago. I do NOT like the tablet version of this game. I'm willing to get this version even if it might not be the PS4/XBO version. Maybe there is hope world sizes will expand in the future. Who knows. However this is a game I do wish I could play comfortably from a chair or even via Off TV Play in my bed or while I'm doing something else on my computer. The convenience is a factor at play here.

Honestly Off TV Play already gives it a point over the other console versions. That's actually more useful and more practical overall then touch screen inputs. So people really should stop and think about that before seeing no touch screen options and walking away. The world size is the bigger thing to plant your flag on then the touch screen input. Off TV Play is gamepad support. Let's not forget that.

Effect

Looking at one of the videos posted in the opening post I see that the console versions let you do crafting as it's done in the PC version. I hadn't realized that. It seems to be off by default and you have to turn it on in the options menu. That's pretty cool. That's something that I've never seen anyone talk about in regard to the console version.

bengraven

When the mario skins come out, my son will lose his mind and demand a WiiU.

Maybe for his birthday (he's looking over my shoulder)

sonto340

It really could go either way. Nintendo will sell DLC but they can just as easily be willing to give it away for free to keep people engaged with a game. I assume to keep it in the spotlight so others will buy it allowing for it to keep selling.

The only other versions of Minecraft I have is on the PC (should really play it more but I don't make the time) and the Kindle Fire version that was free a while ago. I do NOT like the tablet version of this game. I'm willing to get this version even if it might not be the PS4/XBO version. Maybe there is hope world sizes will expand in the future. Who knows. However this is a game I do wish I could play comfortably from a chair or even via Off TV Play in my bed or while I'm doing something else on my computer. The convince is a factor at play here.

Honestly Off TV Play already gives it a point over the other console versions. That's actually more useful and more practical overall then touch screen inputs. So people really should stop and think about that before seeing no touch screen options and walking away. The world size is the bigger thing to plant your flag on then the touch screen input. Off TV Play is gamepad support. Let's not forget that.
Convenience is an incredibly attractive feature for this version. My Girlfriend's 7 year old sister is nuts about Minecraft and will not leave her alone about getting it so she can play it while the rest of the family watches tv

Hey, when playing with the gamepad, you can touch to select an item in your quick bar. That's convenient.

Edit: can also use the touch screen in crafting menus, etc.
It's weird. You can touch some things, like selecting what you want to crash, but then you still have to press A to craft it. No drag and drop or anything.

jholmes

Worth noting for Canadian Wii U owners that when I checked the eShop today, this cost just $30. Given that $30 USD is about $40 Canadian right now, this being priced at par is a fair deal and for all we know, that price could go up next week.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Worth noting for Canadian Wii U owners that when I checked the eShop today, this cost just $30. Given that $30 USD is about $40 Canadian right now, this being priced at par is a fair deal and for all we know, that price could go up next week.
$30!? Didn't this launch at $20 on other platforms?

Effect

Anyone know if the other versions have a limit on how high you can build and how low you can dig? Also does the nether count as another map?

How does this compare to the 360 version? Quite disappointed it doesn't use the gamepad, but does it at least run better? My kids (and sometimes me) playing Minecraft is the sole reason the 360 is still there and hooked up. If I could replace it with the WiiU version and sell the 360 and accessories, it would be a good change... especially the off screen play.

How does this compare to the 360 version? Quite disappointed it doesn't use the gamepad, but does it at least run better? My kids (and sometimes me) playing Minecraft is the sole reason the 360 is still there and hooked up. If I could replace it with the WiiU version and sell the 360 and accessories, it would be a good change... especially the off screen play.
Pretty much the 360 version with faster load times and more mobs can be spawned.

Top Bottom