• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

Opiate

HFA might not be so meaningless when you're a 40-41 team on the road despite playing in the easiest division in baseball.

Is there reason to believe that those splits aren't just statistical variation? Do they have players who would naturally benefit from Turner field in a way they don't benefit from other parks, for example?

Code:
MLB standings at the end of play on September 28, 2013

2013 AL EAST CHAMPIONS: Red Sox

2013 AL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS: Tigers

2013 AL WEST CHAMPIONS: Athletics

AL WILD CARD
              W    L    GB    E#
Indians       91   70  +1.0   --
Rays	      90   71   ---   --
Rangers       90   71   ---   --

AL HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE
#1 SEED - Red Sox
#2 SEED - Athletics
#3 SEED - Tigers 

2013 NL EAST CHAMPIONS: Braves

2013 NL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS: Cardinals

2013 NL WEST CHAMPIONS: Dodgers

NL WILD CARD
WILD CARD #1 - Pirates
WILD CARD #2 - Reds

NL HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE
              W    L    GB    E#
Cardinals     96   65   ---   --
Braves        95   66   1.0   1
#3 SEED - Dodgers

cashman

Banned
Is there reason to believe that those splits aren't just statistical variation? Do they have players who would naturally benefit from Turner field in a way they don't benefit from other parks, for example?

When you have dumb managers like Fredi, being the road team can lead to a lot of bullpen stupidity.

In order for AL Wild Card insanity to happen:

-- Twins have to beat the Indians
-- Rangers have to beat the Angels
-- Rays have to beat the Blue Jays

MLB announces tiebreaker scheduling:

-- If the Rangers and Rays finish tied for Wild Card #2, they play the tiebreaker Monday night at 8:07pm ET in Texas.

-- If there is a three-way tie, the Rays will play the Indians in Cleveland for the Wild Card #1 tiebreaker at 4:07pm ET on Monday. The loser would then travel to Texas to play the Wild Card #2 tiebreaker at 4:07pm ET on Tuesday.

All tiebreaker games would be shown on TBS.

Well, the Blue Jays got their check from Selig I see!

Make sure the check clears for the Angels and the Indians too. The Twins can't be trusted to do anything right.

I'm sure one can run something like a t-test between their road winning percentage and overall winning percentage to see if there's a statistically significant difference. Accounting for strength of opponent would be messy though.

Simply eyeballing it leads me to believe it's probably not just random fluctuation but I could be wrong. Too lazy to do the math on a Sunday morning.

Parch

Blue Jays are just doing what they've done all season.

Maybe they should have cared more about the scoreboard instead of clowning around with the dancing and stupid handshakes all year.

With the scheduling it's entirely probable the Rays would do this:

-- Fly from Toronto to Cleveland for a tiebreaker
-- If they lose, fly from Cleveland to Dallas for a tiebreaker
-- If they win, fly back to Cleveland from Dallas for the Wild Card game
-- If they win, fly from Cleveland to Boston for ALDS Game 1

All in one week. Boston would feast on them.

Blue Jays are just doing what they've done all season.

Maybe they should have cared more about the scoreboard instead of clowning around with the dancing and stupid handshakes all year.

Losing today should seal their second protected pick. Considering they've choked when it's mattered most all year, hopefully they don't stage a dramatic comeback.

Gattis is going to finish with 21+ homers this year, despite his playing time getting very disrupted with McCann coming back and an oblique injury.

Maybe the Cardinals feel like they match up better with the Dodgers rather than a Wild Card winner from their own division?

Henderson Alvarez of the Marlins has a no-hitter against the Tigers through 7 innings. The only base runner was from an error by Adeiny Hecchavarria.

The only team that wants to lose this game more than the Cards is the Cubs. You think any of the Cubs players give 1/10th of 1 shit about this season anymore? It's golf time bros!

Kelly didn't get the memo I guess.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
HFA might not be so meaningless when you're a 40-41 team on the road despite playing in the easiest division in baseball.
I don't think actually playing at home means much. Now playing the wild card winner or the dodgers and Kershaw and Grinke is a big reason to win these games.

I don't think actually playing at home means much. Now playing the wild card winner or the dodgers and Kershaw and Grinke is a big reason to win these games.
Didn't the Braves win 5 out of 7 against LA? Or were those before their "resurgence"?

I fear the Dodgers the most but the Pirates aren't far behind. Reds are a distant fourth though on playoff teams I worry about.
watch them go on a postseason tear now to make me eat my words

Top Bottom