• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

D_psipher

That opening

pPra2us.gif

I am loving it.

Ascheroth

The opening song is called 99, by Mob Choir. If there is perfection in this world, it is this.

And god damn did it look absolutely amazing. Like, wow.
Also, Reigen rules. I mean he has Saitama as his phone-background.

OP is real great.

Utterly fantastic. Better then I had expected, and I had high expectations. Like the opposite of Berserk. I'm not even going to spam screencaps of how amazing this show looks and how much it oozes style because everyone should watch it for themselves. This is Ping Pong levels of visuals. If One Punch Man was full of amazing bursts of animation then Mob Psycho is fully polished to 75% of those scenes at nearly all times.

Fiend

I really hope they can keep the animation quality on par in later episodes. I'm ready for some more One.

DigtialT

Wow, that was fantastic as a premier. The art was absolutely on point, and that OP made counting sound funky as hell.

Side note, what the hell was with that beginning section? Animation showcase, or an attempt to assure people that there would be action in this like OPM?

Primus

The animation! My god, the animation! Seriously, this show's animation is so far off the charts we're discovering new galaxies.

Fan-fucking-tastic first episode.

D-Man

Just watched the first episode. It was absolutely fantastic. BONES put in a ton of work into this.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

That was one of the weirdest, most amazing, ugliest, most beautiful episodes of anime I've ever seen.

Sold!

Artstyle is so bad, but so damn good. Animation was amazing. Music was amazing. I can't wait for the rest of the season. Also, that really reminded me of Space Dandy.

sonicmj1

This episode looks remarkably good. It's not just well-animated, but it has a coherent style to it which stands out from everything else out. Even moreso than One Punch Man, it looks unique, and the roughness of its look allows the show to approach every scene in a new, refreshing way. An absolute standout.

Unlike One Punch Man, which many people will compare it to, Mob Psycho 100 doesn't have the same sort of immediate hook in its premise to grab people. Mob is an intentionally unassuming protagonist, whose most meaningful character trait here is his low self-esteem. Reigen goes out of his way to steal the show (as he should), and I think they handle him well. He's clearly a con-man (which comes across really well in his first scenes), and he's taking advantage of Mob, but he's also sort of trying to help him in the only way he knows.

There's no real plot until Mob starts interacting with more people and getting pushed out of his comfort zone (firmly in the background), and that's fine. Bones gets so much right with this show aesthetically, both in their technical skill and their artistic choices, that I'm thrilled for what's to come.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
i forgot how long it really took me to warm up to the mange but hopefully the excellent production will tide the anime over till we get to the good stuff, off to a very hopeful start at least

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That first episode and that OP oh man. Too good.

This episode looks remarkably good. It's not just well-animated, but it has a coherent style to it which stands out from everything else out. Even moreso than One Punch Man, it looks unique, and the roughness of its look allows the show to approach every scene in a new, refreshing way. An absolute standout.

Unlike One Punch Man, which many people will compare it to, Mob Psycho 100 doesn't have the same sort of immediate hook in its premise to grab people. Mob is an intentionally unassuming protagonist, whose most meaningful character trait here is his low self-esteem. Reigen goes out of his way to steal the show (as he should), and I think they handle him well. He's clearly a con-man (which comes across really well in his first scenes), and he's taking advantage of Mob, but he's also sort of trying to help him in the only way he knows.

There's no real plot until Mob starts interacting with more people and getting pushed out of his comfort zone (firmly in the background), and that's fine. Bones gets so much right with this show aesthetically, both in their technical skill and their artistic choices, that I'm thrilled for what's to come.

Excellent writeup!

Nibel

I mean this looks beautiful but was very boring to me plot-wise; kinda disappointed but I will stick with it

Smart move, indeed. I love Boku no Hero, but, let's be honest, MP100 is just on another level.

pretty much

let us hope the anime stays consistent
I mean this looks beautiful but was very boring to me plot-wise; kinda disappointed but I will stick with it

it didn't even introduce its plot yet

and trust me compared to OPM this series has a ton of more serious plots, world building, and character developments since this is ONE's official work and not a web comic turned manga

Why can't we have excellent animation for both?

well sadly the world is a harsh place were sacrifices must be made... and in order to have MOB be well animated they need to save the budget on Boku

and from a reader who reads both I say they did a sound business decision

Why can't we have excellent animation for both?

There are only so many talented animators to go around, not to mention the problem of scheduling. But I think the directors make the biggest difference between MHA and MP100. Tachikawa is simply more ambitious - even Death Parade, while certainly not up to the same production level, was striving to be visually interesting in its own way.

Using the first episode to establish character traits and aesthetics hard is fine by me. The OP screams of plenty of future developments anyway, so I know I'm not settling in for anything shallow.

Really liked this. Very entertaining. Visually it almost reminded me of Mindgame, which is kind of nuts for a TV anime.

Yonafunu

That was as amazing as I expected. Great animation and art, basically a perfect adaptation so far. Seriously, there were some insane cuts, and the amazing thing is that they all felt cohesive. There's a very strong cohesive style here, with is incredible.

Everything after that first excorcism was anime-original, which was surprising initially. I do get why they did it though, as there wouldn't be a big action showcase to end the first episode on if they'd just followed the manga. It works well as a hook for people expecting something more like OPM, before getting into the 'actual' story starting next week.

There's also some nitpicky stuff coming from a manga reader, mostly to do with the transition of the art from manga to anime. Warning, nitpicking!! I feel like with the much less stiff art of the anime, Reigen loses a bit of the smugness and general scumminess he has in the manga. He looks (and sounds) younger than he does in the manga, and that combined with the added animation compared to the static manga makes him feel more easily flustered and overall less confident in his scumminess. But like I said, this is nitpicking about things that are partially unavoidable.

Permanently A

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

That blew ALL of my expectations away! Like what the fuck! First of all the color palette and animation is so wonderful, and the artstyle is immediately recognizable as ONE's... except it actually looks good. Like wat??? And I have to say I fell in love with the characters immediately. The con artist seems like potential for infinite hijinks and the ability to explore the serious side of the relationship if Mob ever finds out he's being scammed. And I really like Mob right off the bat, I assume he's gonna end up awkwardly interacting with some of the other kids later and that should be a treat to watch.

Also: MOB'S EXPLOSION is simply a genius hook. What is his explosion? What will cause it? When will it happen? I don't know, but I'm certainly fucking hooked.

This episode felt like it lasted an hour, in the best way possible. Perfectly paced with no fat and great action and character development. I'm seriously hyped to watch this series!

LProtag

I loved it. A great adaptation, so far. I think they've done wonders with the style, making it look exciting and beautiful while still capturing the unpolished look of the manga.

Can't wait for more. I wonder how far they'll adapt up to.

Maximo

Never read or heard of Mob Psycho until ONE was mentioned after loving One Punch Man. What a weird and completely left turn for a anime I really loved the first Episode, it was gritty and rough, ugly, and employed such a crazy colorful and over the top visual style that it was a treat to see something so different for once.
Chracters are so far great Arataka Reigen throwing ordinary salt at ghosts slayed me, having very little information on the story itself seems like Mob gets more powerful during states of extreme emotion? One anime that Im glad I kept myself in the dark for, gonna be interesting to see how it turns out.

Also that Intro was dope.
Edit: I Can't get over how much I love rough and scratchy type animation, flashbacks when I first watched Hunter X Hunter and the Gon transformation..so good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lavishly animated episode that doesn't really grab you outside of its exorbitant visuals.

Still the best anime of the season though.

Top Bottom