• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

Aikidoka

Pretty nice first episode. I think it managed to convey the premise pretty well and has a great animation style. How many episodes are planned?

Dali

It is refreshing to have an anime that doesn't follow popular design aesthetics. Liked the first episode and look forward to moar.

sonicmj1

Sakugabooru's Sakuga Blog has a nice post about the lead creative staff behind the Mob Psycho anime, their background, and the aesthetic direction they demonstrated in the first episode.

Part of it echoes what Dali just observed above:

Sakuga Blog said:
Tachikawa’s vision for the show is at odds with most contemporary anime trends; fans nowadays prefer stuff along the lines of ufotable’s recent works, very clean looks dominated by CG and heavy post-processing. By no means I’m discrediting good modern craft, but it’s obvious that the industry is moving towards heavily digital visuals. Yet Tachikawa’s approach with Mob Psycho is the exact opposite. Kameda’s rough style coupled with Ryo Kono’s old-school looking background art attempt to take us decades back. We get painted character still shots, plus hand-drawn vehicles and interiors. Note that there was no CG staff credited! Tachikawa doesn’t stop there, though: he takes this old-school flavor and mixes it with modern typography, holographic neon coloring for the ghosts, and even animated oil painting-like sequences crafted by the talented Miyuki Sato. Mob Psycho feels like a show that shouldn’t exist in the current industry, but also one that wouldn’t be possible back then. A unique marriage of old and new, fueled by incredible creative power. Can’t wait to see what awaits us!

Absolutely loved the animation. Absolutely LOVED the opening. Absolutely LOOOOOOOVVVEEEDDDD the soundtrack. Hated almost everything else.

I mean I understand the whole trope of the student knowing more than the master, as well as the hero who didn't understand the power he has, but a lot of the comedy around their relationship didn't really land with me. The entire episode I was hoping for a closer with Mobu admitting he was stupid, but not stupid enough to know that he was working under a complete fraud. I know at some point in the series this is going to be addressed, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, when Mobu saw Tsubomi walking past with Pepper-face, Potato-face and Eggplant-face, that shit was hilarious.

I'm in for episode 2.

Absolutely loved the animation. Absolutely LOVED the opening. Absolutely LOOOOOOOVVVEEEDDDD the soundtrack. Hated almost everything else.

I mean I understand the whole trope of the student knowing more than the master, as well as the hero who didn't understand the power he has, but a lot of the comedy around their relationship didn't really land with me. The entire episode I was hoping for a closer with Mobu admitting he was stupid, but not stupid enough to know that he was working under a complete fraud. I know at some point in the series this is going to be addressed, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, when Mobu saw Tsubomi walking past with Pepper-face, Potato-face and Eggplant-face, that shit was hilarious.

I'm in for episode 2.

give it more chances. I wasn't completely hooked on the manga at first, but the more I read, the more I got hooked.

Ascheroth

I'm in for episode 2.

Shamelessly quoting from the general anime OT
I may be reading too much into this, but my take is that Mob does realize Reigen is a fraud, at least subconsciously, but chooses not to acknowledge that because Reigen is the only "friend" of any kind he has. Mob is rather lonely and somewhat ostracized at school, after all.

I think this is a pretty likely scenario.

NEO0MJ

Pretty good start, I'm interested in following it. I love the psychic effect used when Mob attacks.
A shame it seems to only be 12 episodes. I thought ONE made more material for this?

Shamelessly quoting from the general anime OT

I think this is a pretty likely scenario.

Same here. Felt they hammered that point at the end when Mob was outside the bus station looking at all the other people who have friends. Like, he knows Reigen is ripping him off but who else can he turn to right now? Isolation is a terrible thing.

Ascheroth

Pretty good start, I'm interested in following it. I love the psychic effect used when Mob attacks.
A shame it seems to only be 12 episodes. I thought ONE made more material for this?

As fas as I know, there is still no definite episode count out there.
But I've heard rumors of some sort of leak or something that said that it's going to be 24-26 (not sure).
Nothing concrete either way, but let us hope for the best.

jstripes

Banned
I see people wondering why the name of the show is kinda goofy and you'll be shocked to learn that its a pun.

Mob is "Mobu" which is like the equivalent to John Doe in English. Plain, everyman, not standout.

Psycho sounds like "Saikyou" which translates to #1, the greatest, the best etc

Close. "Psycho" is the Japanese slang equivalent of "awesome".

Couldn't contain it and started reading the manga. ONE's art isn't as bad here as it is in OPM.

Mob is ONE's main baby, being a webcomic published by a pretty big distributor, while OPM was a hobby. (I believe) So yeah, he definitlely puts in more work in Mob artwise, of course we know that hasn't stopped OPM being amazing in its own right alongside.

He's honestly not that bad when it comes to environment art. He's not gonna make someone like Murata or most top mangakas sweat, but it catches me off guard some points when his characters inhabit a wide scene. It's a very interesting style.

Ascheroth

We are not worthy.
Show still looks amazing and I died laughing a couple times.
The comedic timing is on-fucking-point, as is the entire direction in general.
But yeah, not everything is rainbow and sunshine for Mob.

keffri

Still loving this.

Had to read the manga after watching the first episode. Can't wait to see some of what's coming next animated.

LProtag

Continues to be great. The Body Improvement Club are great, and I love how the anime introduced them and characterized them in such a quick manner.

FluxWaveZ

I was a bit unsure with the first episode, but I liked the second quite a bit. Perhaps this will be more about Mob's development and have more of a "slice of life" feel than I thought; I liked how big of a deal joining a club or not was here. Funny twist, too.

NEO0MJ

No posts from DTL, guess he doesn't consider Mob cute enough,even with the braided pigtails :p

Onto the episode itself, it was great. I like how real it feels at times, even with the silly setting and powers.

I love it! I was laughing out loud throughout the entire episode. The cinematography, the animation, the mixed art styles are all so beautiful ! This anime is unbelievably good, and its only the second episode

convo

Oh Mob Psycho ED was done with real paint on glass. Really nice to see artists having fun
CnqkNwCVYAApXTV.jpg
https://twitter.com/MiyoSato2/status/755096452649496576

Oh Mob Psycho ED was done with real paint on glass. Really nice to see artists having fun

https://twitter.com/MiyoSato2/status/755096452649496576

They are using a lot of interesting artistic techniques that you don't see a whole lot in animation anymore, like the spirits being oil paintings. If you go frame by frame, the oil paintings are really spectacular. So much work for seconds of material. It's done in a way where it doesn't mess up the rest of the scene though, which is impressive.

munchie64

Just watched Episode 1. The two main characters introduced are great. Already can tell this is gonna be fun, not that I had much doubt.

DigtialT

I was really worried of when Mob would explode, glad we are getting to it next episode. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure they have rearranged the order of events from the manga, cause I don't think the event with the all girl school happened this soon.

slower episode but still the art direction, soundtrack and overall order of it

too good

and even though I read the manga seeing the unexpected is still lolworthy

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The constant screaming and trying so hard to be funny was a bit too much for me but the ending was good.

Permanently A

I finishing reading all the manga, I really enjoyed it. Seeing it brought to life animated is just wonderful. They're really putting 100% into the animation.

A-V-B

The constant screaming and trying so hard to be funny was a bit too much for me

Same here. But the show does have an interesting complexity, like OPM has, that I think will string me a long for a little while longer, see where this goes.

Makki

This episode was sooo much better than the first, and personally I enjoyed it a lot more since Mob was the focus more so than on the first ep where Reigen was constantly making shit up and being straight up unlikable. At least this ep made Reigen look somewhat useful as a bitching masseuse lol

Episode 2 was just as good as the first one. The animation after the ghost beatdown was fantastic and really set the lesson in. Also is the Tsubomi memory new? I dont remember that from the manga.

Still amazing. I love the fact that it's just as much a coming of age story in terms of Mob's psychic powers but also his school / personal life. Just like OPM, to an extent.

Raxus

I love how they combine different, alternative art styles into this anime. How did ONE get such amazing artists for both of his Animes?
I really wonder if OPM'S success lead to such a balls to the wall adaptation for Mob or if was always planned. Episode 2 got a couple of honest laughs out of me. I like that Mob is chronically awkward.

I really wonder if OPM'S success lead to such a balls to the wall adaptation for Mob or if was always planned.

Fortuitous timing, because an interview with Bones president Minami just went up that answers that very question.

ANN: Very excited about Mob Psycho 100 coming up—I wanted to ask about how that project came to Bones. Was it influenced by the production of One-Punch Man at Madhouse, or were you interested in the material beforehand?

Minami: It's a completely different project from One-Punch Man, because although it's written by the same author, they're published by different publishers, so they're considered completely separate projects. One-Punch Man has nothing to do with Mob Psycho in terms of production. Basically, Warner Brothers Japan approached Bones saying, “we have this title, can you do it for us?” I met up with the editorial staff, including the editor-in-chief of the publication that runs Mob Psycho. After a few meetings, they were like “okay, this sounds good, so we can go on with the project.” I had never read the manga before I was approached, so then I read it and was like, “yeah, let's do this.”

Top Bottom