• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony RPG (PS2) [picture]

Pride of the Dragon Peace is only the subtitle... Anybody knows what the name of the RPG is?

File0001.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
我が竜を見よ seems to be the title (based on the drawn logo) and, to me, I'd say it means "look at my dragon" or something.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
solarplexus said:
Thanks dark10x.

Is the japanese name maybe "waga ryû o mi yo"?

it could be... or the catch phrase for the game

dark10x

solarplexus said:
Thanks dark10x.

Is the japanese name maybe "waga ryû o mi yo"?

Yes, that is correct (well, at least that's what the logo says...but who knows). I forgot to write the roman characters there. :p

There isn't a whole lot of info there, though. Just lines about how only you can fight with your dragon, only you can live with him, etc. It's just a dragon raising RPG. I have no idea if this is some series or not...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wasn't it rumored quite a while ago that the ico team was working on a game called "dragon peace"? er, this doesn't look their style.

dark10x

OK, that worried me...

I can't really find much info on it, though. Just some discussion on a message board (about the trademark application that was filed).

http://www.linda3.co.jp/cgi-bin/bbs/plning/cgi-bin/article.cgi?Id=454

Of course, they are pretty much like "hey, just wait for an official announcement" and they aren't really sure of the title either. Of course, it seems that this magazine article might just be that announcement...sooo...

I can't find ANYTHING that connects this to ICO/NICO, though. I seriously hope this has nothing to do with them...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i found a message board discussion that claims edge listed dragon peace as the ico team's next game: http://www.gamiko.com/showthread.php?p=39669#post39669

if you do a google search for the terms ico and "dragon peace," you'll get several such results, although most of them aren't in english. i remember the rumor being discussed on the old gaf as well. could have just been a mistake on edge's part...this doesn't look like the ico team's work at all.

dark10x

I SERIOUSLY hope this has nothing to do with them...

Based on the talks given recently, I can't even imagine the ICO team WANTING to work on a project like this...

I can't see them having anything to do with this game. Going by the graphics only it looks much more like something from the team that makes WildARMS than the ICO team.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I can't see them having anything to do with this game. Going by the graphics only it looks much more like something from the team that makes WildARMS than the ICO team.
WildARMs hasn't ever been done internally at SCEI though (besides the Contrail produced WildARMs 2). MediaVision (who was behind 1,3,4 and the code:F games) is an independant 3rd party developer.

jarrod said:
WildARMs hasn't ever been done internally at SCEI though (besides the Contrail produced WildARMs 2). MediaVision (who was behind 1,3,4 and the code:F games) is an independant 3rd party developer.

I wasn't saying it was being developed by Sony themself, just that it looks much more like something from the WildARMS team than something from the ICO team. It even looks like its running on a WildARMS engine.

AssMan

Banned
Game looks fugly. Hopefully it isn't from the ICO team, but doesn't the leak pics and videos of NICO pretty much confirm NICO is in development?

jarrod said:

Speaking of which, what the hell are they doing? They promised me Another Code: F, and we haven't heard a damned thing about it yet!

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I wasn't saying it was being developed by Sony themself, just that it looks much more like something from the WildARMS team than something from the ICO team. It even looks like its running on a WildARMS engine.
Sure but doesn't the article list SCE as the developer? Then it couldn't be MediaVision (who's probably working on Another Code: F anyawy).

It loks pretty generic, but its pretty hard to tell without more info. I remember Sony mentioning Dragon Peace and Nico at the same time as seperate games.

As long as it bears no resemblance to Legend of Dragoon, I'm fine with it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
more interesting than the bland generic shit that the 'west' pulls out...but yeah, I agree
Not really. Bland, generic, and uninspired is still bland, generic, and uninspired no matter where it comes from.

That said, it doesn't really look bad. Just looks like lots of other stuff I've seen before.

WarPig

Shoji Masuda is the guy. Runs an indie company called Mars, his biggest game was Linda Cube, which was a sorta cult RPG on the PCE/PSX/Saturn. SCE published the PSX version of Linda Cube (called Linda Cube Again or whatever).

DFS.

Malakhov

Banned
Man I really can't stand Japanese RPGs these days, they look so out of wack. I don't know how I used to play that shite all the time before.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
MetatronM said:
Not really. Bland, generic, and uninspired is still bland, generic, and uninspired no matter where it comes from.

True, but it also comes down to your general taste. Let's say you love strawberry ice-cream and don't care much for chocolate ice-cream, and you have to choose between bland, generic and uninspired strawberry ice-cream, and bland, generic and uninspired chocolate ice-cream. See, there's a difference alright. :p

madara

There some new screen shots out tonight, it makes game look alot more interesting I think, so hopefully it will deliver to some degree.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
So far it looks pretty uninspired except for one thing, the dragon. If they pull out all the stops and has this game revolve around the dragon (feeding it, raising it, action sequences revolving around it) they could have a very interesting game. Of course I'm pulling this all out of my ass but it could be an interesting title.

firex

It's about a group of young teenagers - one is a boy from a small village who is their local hero, the other is a mysterious girl with strange magical powers who is being chased by some evil forces, and the third is the boy's childhood friend who is brash, but loyal. They are sent on an adventure to save the world from a mysterious, ancient evil that could destroy the world!

firex said:
It's about a group of young teenagers - one is a boy from a small village who is their local hero, the other is a mysterious girl with strange magical powers who is being chased by some evil forces, and the third is the boy's childhood friend who is brash, but loyal. They are sent on an adventure to save the world from a mysterious, ancient evil that could destroy the world!

It took me a second to realise that you were being sarcastic. Whether that's says more about me or the conventionality of JRPG storylines, I don't know.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
firex said:

Gaming satire at its best. I love it. :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
firex said:

Well, at least it has a story... something you can't say for the majority of Western-developed games, which either have 3 different types of stories:

1. It's a game based off a film, so the story follows the film's to a tee
2. You're a criminal or an ex-cop and you have to just steal cars and kill everything in sight, without any sort of aim
3. You're the last surviving marine/scientist/infantry and you need to escape from the space station/lab/jungles of Vietnam alive

The architecture in this game looks good (I like the desert mesa scene), but the character design is pretty uninspired... The game is gonna be more focused on raising your dragon, I believe...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
firex said:

Yeah, Japanese RPG's can be cliché if that's what you're trying to say, but there are quite many where this description wouldn't fit at all. Also, if you generalize enough you'll be able to describe just about any story with just a few lines, Japanese RPG's or not. :p

Top Bottom