• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranXico

i hate the console wars...

Screen-Shot-2019-06-21-at-15-36-35.png
LMAO.

Just don't bother with those people.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Thats not what digital foundry and lens of truth had to say or any expert last gen Killzone 2, TLOU, Uncharted 2/3, God of War had no equals. Gears had a run until Uncharted 2 dropped it blew the door open and comparisons with Gears wasn't even fair. Like come on everyone remembers UC2 reveal no one thought what thy were seeing was possible. Uncharted won tons of awards many of which had to do with graphics and tech :) Sony last and this gen basically passed the graphics benchmarks back and forth amongst each other, that is the consensus this isn't really debatable lol. I've posted articles on this before. BTW in terms of being open world and the tech behind creating such a world in GTAV I agree but no one ever brought up GTAV for best looking last Gen, graphically alot of games looked better.

Pound for pound Sony exclusives looked better than their competition in their respective genres for the most part

Uncharted beat all competitors. Gears couldn't compete

TLOU blew ppls minds.

Killzone 2 next level shit even looked better than Halo bullshots micro always tried to pass as gameplay. They then compared Killzone to Crysis on PC which is wild.

God of War idk anything you could compare to it

MLB the Show no competitor to compare but always one of the best looking games.

If u don't like gamingbolt many other articles on this. Digital Foundry had Uncharted on a pedastal when you look up theur comparisons to other games :) as well.
Come on now, do you think the 360 couldn't run TLOU, it's slow paced and Killzone 2 is basically a on rail shooter the lag is that bad, And as Iots on here say that MS stoped putting effort into exclusives the last 2/3 years of the 360 and could have squeezed more out the 360 if they carried on supporting exclusives, but as it stands I'd say even ish, maybe even Ps3 nudgeing it and that's only because of continued surport and not hardware.

llien

Navi flops are exactly the same as Vega flops.

Now the efficiency in games needs to be benchmarked yet but 8.3TFs is ridiculous low for a next-gen console... barely better than actual X.
Hmm. What?
That is Vegas 64 levels of gaming performance.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
And anyone bringing up Gta5 better one PS3 yes it's slightly marginal better in certain situations, but the effort needed, I'd imagine the 360 could have been better if they'd had put as much effort in as they did with PS3

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It was a fun game. Very underrated. It was rumored to get ported to PS4 like GoW3, but it never came to pass.

Shame. I feel it deserves a second look.

The problem is.....

GOW 1 was an "A" rated game.
GOW 2 was an "A+" rated game.
GOW 3 was an "A-" rated game.
but
GOW Ascension was more like a "B-" rated game.

It's clearly worse than every other GOW game, that it made them recreate the whole game from the floor up.

FrostyJ93

Console warring is dumb. Just paly on what best suits you and let others enjoy their stuff, especially since crossplay is beocming more prominent. Let people enjoy things, it really is not that hard.

henau212

Neo Member
He explained in another post after that... he is talking about the specs not being locked yet and MS/Sony trying to hide the final numbers from each other.

Not because TFs are low or high.

But remember when he talks about not locked he is talking about clock, cooling system and others things that affect performance... the APU’s design is pretty much done now.

Yes, but they could also for example disable CUs in the devkit to hide the true power of the system. The first games will only be souped up PS4/XBONE games. So it would not really matter if the final system is 30% stronger than the devkit since most of the games use dynamic scaling anyways. I would not give that much on leaked information from devkits or target specs atm. Both can be used to put false information into the public.. Also, if they want to hide the die size in devkits they can seal those boxes.

Microsoft showed a lot more than most people think at E3. If the render is real, they must feel pretty confident about it. Now Sony knows perfectly well what to expect from Scarlet in regards to CU count etc. Only question for Sony remaining is the amount of memory and the clock speed. Since both are developing against a similar power envelope, they must have a pretty clear picture what to expect from Microsoft now.

My guess is that both consoles will be very similar in performance (+-10% max). Digital Foundry will be boring the entire next generation..

Imtjnotu

hbm-vs-gddr5.jpg

Some examples for HBM memory bandwidth:

4 GB HBM1 - 4096 bit - 512 GB/s - 1000 MHz => (1 GT/s ÷ 8 x 4096 = 512 GB/s)

8 GB HBM2 - 2048 bit - 409.6 GB/s - 1600 MHz

8 GB HBM2 - 2048 bit - 483.8 GB/s - 1890 MHz

12 GB HBM2 - 3072 bit - 651.3 GB/s - 1696 MHz

16 GB HBM2 - 4096 bit - 1024 GB/s - 2000 MHz

JuZGPMM.png

[Samsung : HBM2 data bandwidth calculation]

-An 8GB HBM2 package’s data bandwidth : 2.4Gbps per pin x 1024bit bus = 307.2GB/s

Using four HBM2 packages in a system: 307.2GB/s x 4 = 1228.8GBps = approximately 1.2TB/s

Hdm2e is even better

pawel86ck

Banned
Thats not what digital foundry and lens of truth had to say or any expert last gen Killzone 2, TLOU, Uncharted 2/3, God of War had no equals. Gears had a run until Uncharted 2 dropped it blew the door open and comparisons with Gears wasn't even fair. Like come on everyone remembers UC2 reveal no one thought what thy were seeing was possible. Uncharted won tons of awards many of which had to do with graphics and tech :) Sony last and this gen basically passed the graphics benchmarks back and forth amongst each other, that is the consensus this isn't really debatable lol. I've posted articles on this before. BTW in terms of being open world and the tech behind creating such a world in GTAV I agree but no one ever brought up GTAV for best looking last Gen, graphically alot of games looked better.

Pound for pound Sony exclusives looked better than their competition in their respective genres for the most part

Uncharted beat all competitors. Gears couldn't compete

TLOU blew ppls minds.

Killzone 2 next level shit even looked better than Halo bullshots micro always tried to pass as gameplay. They then compared Killzone to Crysis on PC which is wild.

God of War idk anything you could compare to it

MLB the Show no competitor to compare but always one of the best looking games.

If u don't like gamingbolt many other articles on this. Digital Foundry had Uncharted on a pedastal when you look up theur comparisons to other games :) as well.
I can listen to digital foundry and other experts, but I still have my own eyes. Gears Of War 3 was EASILY on pair with PS3 exclusives

That submarine level still looks amazing even today (although people have to keep in mind, it's Xbox X gameplay in 4K, while x360 version run at 720p)

Bioshock - xbox 720p, ps3 680p
Dead Rising 2 - xbox 720p, ps3 576p
Ghoshtbusters - xbox 720p, ps3 576p
GTA 4 - xbox 720p, ps3 640p
Red Read Redemption - xbox 720p, ps3 640p
The Darkness - xbox 720p, ps3 576p

Just to name a few. PS3 despite being more powerful had problems running multiplatform games, only TES: oblivion or Ridge Racer run better on PS3 but these were xbox 360 launch titles if I remember correctly, so it's obvious why PS3 ports were improved one year later. It was very strange situation, PS3 was more powerful console thanks to CELL, yet it had problems running so many games because of slower GPU. It looks like it's better to launch console with much better GPU and a little bit slower CPU compared to much better CPU and slower GPU.

Last edited:
hbm-vs-gddr5.jpg

Some examples for HBM memory bandwidth:

4 GB HBM1 - 4096 bit - 512 GB/s - 1000 MHz => (1 GT/s ÷ 8 x 4096 = 512 GB/s)

8 GB HBM2 - 2048 bit - 409.6 GB/s - 1600 MHz

8 GB HBM2 - 2048 bit - 483.8 GB/s - 1890 MHz

12 GB HBM2 - 3072 bit - 651.3 GB/s - 1696 MHz

16 GB HBM2 - 4096 bit - 1024 GB/s - 2000 MHz

JuZGPMM.png

[Samsung : HBM2 data bandwidth calculation]

-An 8GB HBM2 package’s data bandwidth : 2.4Gbps per pin x 1024bit bus = 307.2GB/s

Using four HBM2 packages in a system: 307.2GB/s x 4 = 1228.8GBps = approximately 1.2TB/s

But GDDR6 is faster than GDDR5, also even at 28Gbps per chip I have more bandwidth with 4 chips. 112Gbps (GDDR5) vs 100Gbps (HBM2).

Ovech-King

Here's my logical assumption of the day for yall. In 2012 the best graphics cards on the market had 2GB of GDDR5. The PS4 at the end of 2013 ended up with 8GB , a multiple of 4.

Based on this premise, the strongest cards are averaging 8GB Gddr6 it's fair to assume that the PS5 will have between 24 to 32 GB of RAM.

Now will that be a 399? Good question ... I think Sony can do it because with all the revenue they added since 2013 with the mandatory online subscription payment , they added a major revenue stream they didn't even have back in 2013.

Imtjnotu

Here's my logical assumption of the day for yall. In 2012 the best graphics cards on the market had 2GB of GDDR5. The PS4 at the end of 2013 ended up with 8GB , a multiple of 4.

Based on this premise, the strongest cards are averaging 8GB Gddr6 it's fair to assume that the PS5 will have between 24 to 32 GB of RAM.

Now will that be a 399? Good question ... I think Sony can do it because with all the revenue they added since 2013 with the mandatory online subscription payment , they added a major revenue stream they didn't even have back in 2013.
Doesn't mean they want to lose a shit ton of money. Especially after what ps3 did to them

LordOfChaos

Several top end cards were 3GB in 2012, but also don't forget it was launched a month away from 2013, as to barely scrape a 2012 console qualifier. By 2013 more high end cards were moving to 3-4GB instead of 2.

Not pooping on the 24GB thesis, but I don't particularly look at multiples of current GPUs as a way to get there, all sorts of different reasons go into it

Last edited:
So "Lockhart" is dead until it's not.
  • Promote 2 SKUs
  • Publically kill one
  • Shock final reveal - 2 SKUs - same power - one is discless at a lower price to undercut the PS5 399 mic drop
  • Price advantage but no negative developer impact unlike the "original" Lockhart plan
Easy way to come out on top of the monolith price wars.

A discless MS box makes too much sense to push people towards gamepass and other subs. It was the only thing Lockhart really had going for it imho.

LordOfChaos

• Promote 2 SKUs
  • Publically kill one
  • Shock final reveal - 2 SKUs - same power - one is discless at a lower price to undercut the PS5 399 mic drop
  • Price advantage but no negative developer impact unlike the "original" Lockhart plan

A discless MS box makes too much sense to push people towards gamepass and other subs. It was the only thing Lockhart really had going for it imho.

Otoh a diskless PS5 is a much easier, much faster turnaround, than a cut down spec one. They could remove the drive and offer similar in no time.

I'd probably buy it too, only disks I had this gen were given to me.

Last edited:

xool

Bluray disc drives are ~$25 BOM - so there's no significant incentive to cut one.

Of course turkeys always vote for christmas - so keep paying $59 for a game download 6 months after release when the disc versions have reached $30-40

..at those numbers they could start thinking about giving away a discless version .. the downside to that plan is that people would recognize the [initial] deal is too good to be true .. and maybe even realize that game downloads = distributor monopoly

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
  • Promote 2 SKUs
  • Publically kill one

A discless console is only going to save MS about $20, so.........how much cheaper do you think the console will be?

DJ12

How I read it is that they were aiming for a low spec and a high spec that was going to beat the ps5. But now that they only have Anaconda, it might not even be as powerful as once thought. Phil’s tone of voice also reflects this.
Not sure I follow you there.

Information suggests PS5 devkits are currently more powerful (obviously running code on both to make this assumtion) and in addition to this the target spec discussed with devs are also higher than "anaconda", even when there were two consoles being muted from Microsoft.

Anaconda dev kits < PS5 dev kits

Anaconda target specs < PS4 target specs

*based on current leaks and comments that are attributed to devs.

So how does lockhart being cancelled make any difference to this?

MS would not make Anaconda weaker because they cancelled a cheaper, less powerful box, if anything they would just swollow the loss at launch and sell it at a comparible price to the PS5.

Fact is MS did not know what to aim for, they designed what they wanted, got the best the could for their BOM target and hoped it would be good enough, this was the same for Sony too.

It's too late in the game now to change anything other than clock speeds, but I guess they will rush through an 'X' version as soon as it's viable to do so with further shrinks to try and stop Sony building on the PS4 momentum.

FrostyJ93

Not sure I follow you there.

Information suggests PS5 devkits are currently more powerful (obviously running code on both to make this assumtion) and in addition to this the target spec discussed with devs are also higher than "anaconda", even when there were two consoles being muted from Microsoft.

Anaconda dev kits < PS5 dev kits

Anaconda target specs < PS4 target specs

*based on current leaks and comments that are attributed to devs.

So how does lockhart being cancelled make any difference to this?

MS would not make Anaconda weaker because they cancelled a cheaper, less powerful box, if anything they would just swollow the loss at launch and sell it at a comparible price to the PS5.

Fact is MS did not know what to aim for, they designed what they wanted, got the best the could for their BOM target and hoped it would be good enough, this was the same for Sony too.

It's too late in the game now to change anything other than clock speeds, but I guess they will rush through an 'X' version as soon as it's viable to do so with further shrinks to try and stop Sony building on the PS4 momentum.

I think its too late to for that. PS5 being BC alone already makes taking some of their userbase pretty difficult as is. Scarlett is going to be an enthusiast box for core xbox fans.

bandwitdth is not an issue. latency is. cpu tasks are very latency sensitive. this is why supposedly sony split the pool.
That doesn't make any sense to me.

OG PS4, Pro and XB1X have a unified GDDR5 pool. How many developers have complained about CPU DRAM latency? Zero, nada.

Rest assured, next-gen CPUs will even have L3 cache, so latency will be even less of an issue (if it ever was).

$25 is huge huge saving in the manufacturering process. Any cent can make a huge difference when you manufacture a million units a month.
The question is, how much would that reduce MSRP/RRP? That's what the consumer cares about.

Unless it's $100 cheaper, I don't think it's worth it from a consumer standpoint.

Last edited:

Chronos24

Maybe

Launching far than their main competitor makes this point moot

Not necessarily. Sony have game sales and larger install-base to call upon to offset/recoup losses on the console. Plus greater savings in economies of scale.

I think having a more powerful console this cycle might be the wrong play for MS. Instead, they should try to come out earlier, come out cheaper and with a better value service than PS5. That's the only way I, as a PS/Nintendo gamer is going to have a chance to try what they are offering. If they launch after PS5, I don't care if it's more powerful. Power seems less important than service offering, timing and pricing, but that's just my opinion.
I don't understand honestly and I've always asked this, but why not have everything? Why can't it be more powerful, have a competitive price, offer more services and come out at a good time? It's been my complaint with Nintendo forever.

I don't understand honestly and I've always asked this, but why not have everything? Why can't it be more powerful, have a competitive price, offer more services and come out at a good time? It's been my complaint with Nintendo forever.
It's like asking for a woman to be super hot, intelligent, rich, all at the same time.

Imtjnotu

• Promote 2 SKUs
  • Publically kill one

$20 disk drive drops the price by a hundred 😂👌

bitbydeath

If both consoles end up close then MS is intentionally gimping their dev kits right now. Maybe even lying about focusing on 1 console too.

Why?
If they’re both planning to use the latest AMD hardware the only option for MS would be to jump ship to NVIDIA or start putting in dual GPU’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom