• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJY

Banned
I don't understand honestly and I've always asked this, but why not have everything? Why can't it be more powerful, have a competitive price, offer more services and come out at a good time? It's been my complaint with Nintendo forever.
Of course it's ideal for it to have everything, just like Sony at the beginning of this gen, but it requires a bit of luck and a strong vision. MS had it all with 360 also. However, these days, MS seem to perpetually be playing catch-up and be in a "reactive" mode instead, which results in delayed product and potentially increased prices. I don't really blame them right now, because Sony basically has next gen on lock barring any major fuck-ups. MS seem to not have a vision at all... going from a 2-console strategy to a 1 console strategy is a case-in-point. In my view, Xbox as a console platform is dead. Xbox as a gaming brand is strong though and will live on and they can potentially be number one eventually, when consoles go the way of the dodo, or streaming becomes the preferred way to play.

The console power narrative, I believe, has never been something that a platform holder has pursued in earnest when developing a system. Like architecting any system, you will develop a system within certain budget contraints and thermal limitations and use/develop/choose the tech that is the most appropriate to fulfil your goals. MS, however, just seem hell-bent on being the power leader... and this will always result in them releasing later than the competition, but the PS4 is literally the first generation where the power leader has also been the sales leader as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
The kneejerk reaction to killing off Lockhart would be to assume:
  • Only 1 MS SKU
  • Priced at the Anaconda SKU price
Both could be wrong.

If there's only single SKUs competing both Sony and MS have to go as low on price as possible.

Sony would imagine that 399 should be enough. It is a great price.

How does MS go cheaper than 399?

By making a discless box that has better profit margins.

Lock people in to purchasing from you directly. Make your services more attractive than physical. Maybe mobile phone type purchase plans bundling the hardware payment and subscription payments. MS is in love with services these days, didn't you get the memo? What would take several physical purchases to recoup is much faster on the the loss leading cheaper box with these taken into account. Then there's the obvious customer brownie points with an even lower price and it taking the sting out of a Sony low price with a decent counter.

Why?
If they’re both planning to use the latest AMD hardware the only option for MS would be to jump ship to NVIDIA or start putting in dual GPU’s.
I can see a lot of potential issues by switching to Nvidia:

1) Higher cost.
2) Worse specs (RSX dejavu). Last minute decisions are risky.
3) Low-level GCN-optimized DX12 code might hinder BC (OG XBOX is still notoriously difficult to emulate, even MS hasn't added a lot of OG BC titles for some reason).

CJY

Banned

This video is really great. Remedy seem to be doing amazing work with Raytracing. I genuinely see Sony purchasing them to share their technology and insight with the rest of WWS.

vpance

Why?
If they’re both planning to use the latest AMD hardware the only option for MS would be to jump ship to NVIDIA or start putting in dual GPU’s.

If we're to believe that both are hiding their true specs then I guess one or both could be purposely disabling some CUs or downclocking in the dev kits.

If true that would be kind of crazy. I wonder how long they could wait until revealing the true specs to devs.

bitbydeath

If we're to believe that both are hiding their true specs then I guess one or both could be purposely disabling some CUs or downclocking in the dev kits.

If true that would be kind of crazy. I wonder how long they could wait until revealing the true specs to devs.

Well MS has a random conference in November and Sony has PSX in December so I think that’s when we’ll be seeing the full unveiling of each.

CJY

Banned
Well MS has a random conference in November and Sony has PSX in December so I think that’s when we’ll be seeing the full unveiling of each.
First I've heard of either. I'm pretty sure we know nothing about PSX. Do you have a source on the MS conference? How do you know it's Xbox-related?

vpance

Yep. 10 months before launch is probably the latest they could wait I think. Basically like with the PS4 ram doubling. Chips would need to start getting made shortly after that.

SonGoku

"there is a good reason both companies are no sharing those numbers" i am paraphrasing but you get my point. If the tflops were much higher than pro or one x i think they would be confident in mentioning it. Sure navi 8tflops = 10 tflop gcn but to the average consumer 8tflop is not much above pros 4 or one x 6tflops.
ez to answer
Sony hasn't revealed the PS5 yet, they merely done a superficial tease, didn't even mention ram yet
Makes no sense to give hard numbers without a proper reveal

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I think that's a bit early. I think those will mostly focus on remaining current gen games, maybe show a lot more Halo Infinite for MS (imagine that will be cross gen).

Back in 2013 they both had their own reveal events and then more blowouts at E3 in June and the fall release. I'm guessing we'll see the same this time. They'll just play a game of chicken as I imagine neither wants to reveal first. Sony really hammered MS by revealing second last time. They were able to capitalize on that awful initial X1 reveal and the backlash that came after with their own reveal shortly afterward. Then at E3 MS went first and Sony crushed it again by revealing their price as $100 less for a more powerful machine etc. There are a lot of advantages to going second and knowing what you're competing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

bitbydeath

First I've heard of either. I'm pretty sure we know nothing about PSX. Do you have a source on the MS conference? How do you know it's Xbox-related?

PSX was long rumoured to be the PS5 outing.

Small reveal mid 2019, Big one at psx, Plans might change though

Last edited:
Reactions: CJY

Dabaus

Banned
So "Lockhart" is dead until it's not.
  • Promote 2 SKUs
  • Publically kill one
  • Shock final reveal - 2 SKUs - same power - one is discless at a lower price to undercut the PS5 399 mic drop
  • Price advantage but no negative developer impact unlike the "original" Lockhart plan
Easy way to come out on top of the monolith price wars.

A discless MS box makes too much sense to push people towards gamepass and other subs. It was the only thing Lockhart really had going for it imho.

After e3 2019 and the damage control they spun after it, I genuinely do not believe this xbox team is capable of pulling off anything that cunning. Like, Phil is still going out there to this very day 3 weeks later trying to damage control for e3. If this xbox team were with any other company, one that didnt have infinite money, they wouldve been shut down awhile ago.

As it stands i just see the cancellation of lockheart as another reinforcement that this xbox crew has no idea what theiyre doing. They seem to be throwing as much shit as possible agaisnt the wall hoping something, anything sticks.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Cancel a product even after releasing dev kits its not a easy job. They should think careful after that.

Cenkolino85

Neo Member
Thank God they killed off the stupid 2 SKUs idea. Just imagine the half-assed efforts the stronger SKU would get. "Increase resolution, add 2-3 more particles and voila! Here's your shitty port."
Remember, a chain is only as strong as its weakest part.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
One could say his knowledge can be a boon to us.
Then one could also say there is no Boon that is not power?
man.gif

Night.Ninja

Banned
After e3 2019 and the damage control they spun after it, I genuinely do not believe this xbox team is capable of pulling off anything that cunning. Like, Phil is still going out there to this very day 3 weeks later trying to damage control for e3. If this xbox team were with any other company, one that didnt have infinite money, they wouldve been shut down awhile ago.

As it stands i just see the cancellation of lockheart as another reinforcement that this xbox crew has no idea what theiyre doing. They seem to be throwing as much shit as possible agaisnt the wall hoping something, anything sticks.

what damage control and what did they spin?

Munki

Another nugget from Matt on Era

OK, just to clear this up:

I did not mean to be enigmatic (in this case at least), I thought my intention was clear. If I was forced to make an educated guess on the question of the relative strength of the PS5 and NextBox, I would have to give the nod to Microsoft.

And now, I’m out.

TLZ

Banned
Oh the admin's won't do anything, they love Matt. Reee loves protecting their own, and it's like a cabal over there.
Actually before I got perm banned, I was once temp banned and another mod reversed it saying I was wrongfully banned after he's looked at it. I had some hope in justice then. I can't remember who that good mod was, but credit where it's due.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
For a “moron” he seems to have a lot of inside information. From what I have seen the guy is barely around, but when he does contribute it always pretty knowledgeable/level headed stuff.
He use his tag for do whatever he want. Thats why he is a moron. 'Hey I have some info to share, but I not gonna share. Its secret. Please understand. Everyone against me will get warn.' (After the shit he started). 'Ok. I done playing. Sry guys'.
This guy need to grow up.
If you have the god damn info, but can't share so why tha hell keep baiting? Stfu and move on. Stop using your tag privileges for doing PR bs.

Last edited:

demigod

Actually before I got perm banned, I was once temp banned and another mod reversed it saying I was wrongfully banned after he's looked at it. I had some hope in justice then. I can't remember who that good mod was, but credit where it's due.

Wow you got permabanned from there? I don't see you say anything here that would warrant a ban. Then again I saw some dude getting a ban yesterday for using the word midget. The stupidity from that site really amazes me.

Yep, a lot of weirdos on there are mods. Creep fucks lol
For a “moron” he seems to have a lot of inside information. From what I have seen the guy is barely around, but when he does contribute it always pretty knowledgeable/level headed stuff.

Give a GAF person mod power over at era and they become fucking idiots. Durante caught some flack and is no longer a mod, he was a good member here from what I remember. Zhuge needs to get off his high horse. Dude acts like he's better than everyone ever since he went to era and became a mod. I think Matt is hated over there too, can't remember.

Anyways I think Matt is just "stirring the pot". What he said before contradicts his "educated guess".

CyberPanda

Banned
Give a GAF person mod power over at era and they become fucking idiots. Durante caught some flack and is no longer a mod, he was a good member here from what I remember. Zhuge needs to get off his high horse. Dude acts like he's better than everyone ever since he went to era and became a mod. I think Matt is hated over there too, can't remember.

Anyways I think Matt is just "stirring the pot". What he said before contradicts his "educated guess".
Durante name sounds familiar, but I forgot lol.
And yea, Zhuge needs to get off his 'My Little Pony'.

Fake

Gold Member
Durante name sounds familiar, but I forgot lol.
And yea, Zhuge needs to get off his 'My Little Pony'.
Durante made a hell of job fixing Dark Souls for PC if I remember right.
And help the headhunting of many astrosturfing alt accs in neogaf long time ago before he got bully by some and even being forced to get out of the forum because of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom