• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidRex

He even tells RGT that GoW2 is near-photorealistic and seems confident about it (he didn’t backtrack yesterday after all the drama and still said the MGS remake reveal is happening this year), but imagine though... All this talk of games trying to achieve photorealism by the end of this gen, but IF (big if) his source turns out to be right, we’d only be a year into this generation with a first-party studio already having made a photorealistic game for PS5.

That would be insane, I really wanna see this game.
py25i4N.jpg
With regards to MLID claims about RGT, it's total Bullshit... If you all recall Matt called out MLID last year.

Interfectum

There are two fronts on that matter.
One the PS5 CUs lack hardware lower integer and precision that makes them not RDNA 2 CUs... so seems to be less credible.
Other that says PS5 CUs have the hardware lower integer and precision because they are based in a internal "RDNA 1.1" that is basically identical to RDNA 2.0.

I can add a third option... Sony asked AMD to remove the hardware lower integer and precision from the RDNA 2 CUs making them Custom.

And there is no dedicated chip for ML support it is just the CUs with lower int and precision supports.
The pic below shows the difference between them.

RDNA 1.1 and RDNA 2 that are identical supports ML.
RDNA 2 not.

Screenshot_2020-11-18-RDNA-2-questions-areejs12-hardwaretimes-com-Hardware-Times-Mail-768x418.png
Thanks for the reply... so bottomline how does this stack up against Series X? Does Xbox have a hardware ML advantage here?

Ask CDPR. It's not like this game isn't one big shitshow across all platforms.

For the love of Atari's ET people, stop using this game as any sort of litmus test. It was and is an incomplete product.

I was just making a joke about how this game can't be used as a comparison because the settings are so different (at least at this point). Both are just running in BC mode at the moment and the 1X has a lot more NPCs going in all areas in comparison to the PS4 Pro. We can see from the PC that changing the density here alters the performance result quite a bit.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was just making a joke about how this game can't be used as a comparison because the settings are so different (at least at this point). Both are just running in BC mode at the moment and the 1X has a lot more NPCs going in all areas in comparison to the PS4 Pro. We can see from the PC that changing the density here alters the performance result quite a bit.
Of course. It's still a shitshow full stop and nothing indicative of what the machines last gen or this gen are capable of.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes i know, i wasn't talking about the resolution. If i don't remember NXgamer's video wrong, he was talking about XSX having higher settings in some areas. But my memory is a bit fuzzy these days, maybe you can check.

You are right, in some areas. But has 11.1% resolution disadvantage, and 33.3% FPS delta.

What is that in percentage terms? :messenger_winking:

Evil Smile GIF by memecandy

Last edited:

Zathalus

How is that even possible?

It's a BC game after all. It really shouldn't be out performing the XSX at any point.

XsX BC is superb, and Cyberpunk was heavily marketed by MS.
Have you seen Cyberpunk on consoles? It's a broken mess in terms of optimisation and basic functionality. The game had a bug on Series X were the game would literally pause for a few seconds. That has got nothing to do with how well the console is performing, but how shit the code is running on it.

dcmk7

Banned
Have you seen Cyberpunk on consoles? It's a broken mess in terms of optimisation and basic functionality. The game had a bug on Series X were the game would literally pause for a few seconds. That has got nothing to do with how well the console is performing, but how shit the code is running on it.

Not that I disagree with the assessment of the state of the game.

But that same janky code is running both, no?

Zathalus

Not that I disagree with the assessment of the state of the game.

But that same janky code is running both, no?
Each console has its own code base and development environment, different teams might also be working on different consoles.

We can see this work against the PS5 as well, using the Division 2 as a example, from VG Tech:

PS5
PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3456x1944 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts above 2400x1350 seem to be rare and native resolution pixel counts at or slightly above 1920x1080 seem to be common. There is a form of temporal reconstruction used that can increase the resolution up to 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X:
Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2816x1584. On Xbox Series X native resolution pixel counts seem to often be between approximately 3840x2160 and 3200x1800. On Xbox Series X there is a form of temporal reconstruction used to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below this resolution.

So from that we can assume the Xbox Series X is 3-4 times as powerful as the PS5. Which we all know is nonsense. Don't use BC as a metric of anything. Seeing how well the Cyberpunk patches are going, the next patch can boost FPS on the Series X to a locked 60, but cause random NPCs to implode when you speak to them.

Lysandros

Each console has its own code base and development environment, different teams might also be working on different consoles.

We can see this work against the PS5 as well, using the Division 2 as a example, from VG Tech:

PS5

Xbox Series X:

So from that we can assume the Xbox Series X is 3-4 times as powerful as the PS5. Which we all know is nonsense. Don't use BC as a metric of anything. Seeing how well the Cyberpunk patches are going, the next patch can boost FPS on the Series X to a locked 60, but cause random NPCs to implode when you speak to them.
I understand the reasoning but how can this be a 1:1 analogy when that's the PS5 which struggles generally more in BC?

dcmk7

Banned

PS5

Xbox Series X:

It's pretty impressive the improvement from release.

It was running worst than the XSS way back then.

Guess all that celebrating when the initial comparison came out for CyberPunk, a BC game afterall, was premature and has backfired for now.

Mr Moose

Others say different, plus Xbox runs at a lot higher settings and has things like crowds, people and cars in it.

VYHeDmw.jpg
Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 2880x1620 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. On Xbox Series X in Performance Mode pixel counts at 2880x1620 are rare and pixel counts seem to usually range between 1920x1080 and 2304x1296.

SSfox

JnHjXnk.jpg

This is so apt.

I know COVID has messed up many production schedule but 2020-21 from Microsoft and Nintendo has been/shaping up to be absolutely abysmal.
I just hope that Sony won't become lazy when you see this absolute non existence of competition.

Tho they were dropping already masterpieces like GOW and SOTC back in PS2 when there was no competetion, so in a sens.

PS: i wouldn't even give any attention to Era, seems like this forum became the moron's meeting Nest since a while already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom