• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonarchJT

Banned
Are you sure they banned you for that reason?

Seems like many people are saying that both consoles are a mix of the two.
post #1541 in that thread ...

""highly modified rdna1 gpu" with their own flavour of rdna2 feature. The ps5 is this guy's
and as we seeing from the soc i been all the time right ? you are upset because giving that name for you mean something bad. change rdna1 with Superpippy77 and is the same .... ps5 share a lot with Superpippy77 and added a lot of customization to it. Are just names Sony and Ms can choose whatever IP to put into their soc someo old some new some completely designed from them"

tell me if this is technically wrong pls

ethomaz

Banned
Did @EviLore go on vay-cay? Lots of banned people here lately. Would be good to hear what’s going on behind the scenes.
I think more like the Ban thread become a meta GAF thread.
People keep posting there with things not related to Bans.
When you asked about a ban in a few hours before the mods see the post there is already two pages of unrelated posts.

So I see why they shutdown the thread... Evil lore even keep asking people no not post there if not to question a ban.

Last edited:

""highly modified rdna1 gpu" with their own flavour of rdna2 feature. The ps5 is this guy's
and as we seeing from the soc i been all the time right ? you are upset because giving that name for you mean something bad. change rdna1 with Superpippy77 and is the same .... ps5 share a lot with Superpippy77 and added a lot of customization to it. Are just names Sony and Ms can choose whatever IP to put into their soc someo old some new some completely designed from them"

See that's the problem you called it a modified RDNA1 GPU when it's a modified RDNA2 GPU.

Dolodolo

Sorry. This is probably a strange request. Probably, some of you are on the Resetera forum. And you know about the Playstation OT branch. On the last page, the user KatharsisT, who previously literally claimed that Sony Japan Studio is making a new Silent Hill, wrote that he believes that the famous Japanese studio is Sony Japan studio
It probably sounds a little silly, but her rhetoric has literally softened, and it's as if she's no longer sure of her previous rather confident words
Could someone ask her about it by replying to her last message?
That is, to ask why she is no longer completely sure that this is Japan Studio?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
See that's the problem you called it a modified RDNA1 GPU when it's a modified RDNA2 GPU.
rdna was not even out in graphic core microcode guys ...as Locuza said ps5 is 10.0 rdna 10.1 xsx 10.2 rdna2 10.3 ..what the fuck
seem like the mods just take the name and go with it withiout understand honestly how the things work

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I actually just went back and he is not claiming anything crazy but he has some stuff that can be interpreted that way

30:55 and onwards, they are talking about the RAM situation and SSD possibly being able to offload some tasks. Im not saying he is wrong at all, but he does seem to favor the PS5 or at least the forward way of thinking that seem to have influenced the development of the PS5 SSD and I/O

Edit: He actually ends up saying ”Yes” on the specific question on wether PS5 is technically superior at 31:27

I mean now I haven't looked this video specifically but if I remember his narrative it's all about ps5 specific aspects which it's surely opinable but far from different to claim ps5 is a superior hardware

MonarchJT

Banned
Sounds like another 8TF claim to me. Which is probably why you got the ban.
yeah but it isn't and we know that there are rdna1 ip in both and ps5 was finalized a year before rdna2 even exist...and for this reason ethomaz ethomaz gone to talk with stanard. and is this what Locuza said ......
I'll let it go ...but mods are wrong and i was right and we know it

Last edited:

Interfectum

Someone on Twitter said PS5 is capable of ML... but it doesn't have a dedicated chip for that right? So are they basically talking software or out of their ass?

ethomaz

Banned
Someone on Twitter said PS5 is capable of ML... but it doesn't have a dedicated chip for that right? So are they basically talking software or out of their ass?
There are two fronts on that matter.
One the PS5 CUs lack hardware lower integer and precision that makes them not RDNA 2 CUs... so seems to be less credible.
Other that says PS5 CUs have the hardware lower integer and precision because they are based in a internal "RDNA 1.1" that is basically identical to RDNA 2.0.

I can add a third option... Sony asked AMD to remove the hardware lower integer and precision from the RDNA 2 CUs making them Custom.

And there is no dedicated chip for ML support it is just the CUs with lower int and precision supports.
The pic below shows the difference between them.

RDNA 1.1 and RDNA 2 that are identical supports ML.
RDNA 2 not.

Screenshot_2020-11-18-RDNA-2-questions-areejs12-hardwaretimes-com-Hardware-Times-Mail-768x418.png

Last edited:

bitbydeath

ML was confirmed to be supported by the PS5 GPU way back in 2019.
More generally, we’re seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools.

MonarchJT

Banned
There are two fronts on that matter.
One the PS5 CUs lack hardware lower integer and precision that makes them not RDNA 2 CUs... so seems to be less credible.
Other that says PS5 CUs have the hardware lower integer and precision because they are based in a internal "RDNA 1.1" that is basically identical to RDNA 2.0.
there could be 20 fronts and we are here to discuss and this make a forum intersting not silencing people expecially when seem that what they was saying turn to be closer to the truth than most of others. And it doesn't matter if the judge doesn't like the course of events.
You agree with me ?

Garani

rdna was not even out in graphic core microcode guys ...as Locuza said ps5 is 10.0 rdna 10.1 xsx 10.2 rdna2 10.3 ..what the fuck
seem like the mods just take the name and go with it withiout understand honestly how the things work
Still the same ol' shit.

PS5, like the XSX, has a RDNA2 based GPU. Cerny told you that. AMD told you that. You wanna be pendantic? Then the AMD Radeon 6x00 is tecnically an RDNA1 based GPU, because when they started working on RDNA2 there was no RDNA2 in production.

Drop it, you are wrong and no twist will right that wrong.

MonarchJT

Banned
Still the same ol' shit.

PS5, like the XSX, has a RDNA2 based GPU. Cerny told you that. AMD told you that. You wanna be pendantic? Then the AMD Radeon 6x00 is tecnically an RDNA1 based GPU, because when they started working on RDNA2 there was no RDNA2 in production.

it's a fuckin technical thread and we gone technical .... cerny can't tell to the masses "we used the old wavefront and the rops are from rdnaw but the cu are rdna1 and the mesh shader differ just a little" (doing random examples ) because no one would understand what the fuck he is saying they simplfy with " custom.rdna2 gpu"
The reality is that inside the ps5 (as xsx) there are lots of rdna1 parts this is . I'm not wrong at all no matter if people like it or not
And they also can't say or prove that I'm wrong because on my side there are those who are scrutining ps5 hardware saying basically what I'm saying .
Silence ppl like that is just a bad look really

Last edited:

bitbydeath

it's a fuckin technical thread and we gone technical .... cerny can't tell to the masses "we used the old wavefront and the rops are from rdnaw but the cu are rdna1 and the mesh shader differ just a little" (doing random examples ) because no one would understand what the fuck he is saying they simplfy with " custom.rdna2 gpu"
The reality is that inside the ps5 (as xsx) there are lots of rdna1 parts this is . I'm not wrong at all
Probably not much point arguing though right?
Won’t change anything. Easier to let go and move on.

Garani

it's a fuckin technical thread and we gone technical .... cerny can't tell to the masses "we used the old wavefront" and the rops are from rdnaw but the cu are rdna1 and the mesh shader differ just a little" (doing random examples ) because no one would understand what the fuck he is saying .
The reality is that inside the ps5 (as xsx) there are lots of rdna1 parts this is . I'm not wrong at all
You are console warring, you are being insulting and stubborn.

There is RDNA1 in both consoles, it's can't be any other way: RDNA2 isn't a new architeture, it builds on the first revision. More over both consoles decided to modify on the architecture to get the best out of their target. That doesn't make either one RDNA1, it just means that Microsoft decided to be more in line with the final PC product (they have DX12U that needs to be agnostic for easy porting between PC and Console) while Sony decided to take more liberties and push further certain other aspects like the GE.

They are not RDNA1, they are both RDNA2 based, it has been declared as so and in the corporate world you don't lie on that stuff, because if you do, you get sued to hell.

MonarchJT

Banned
You are console warring, you are being insulting and stubborn.

There is RDNA1 in both consoles, it's can't be any other way: RDNA2 isn't a new architeture, it builds on the first revision. More over both consoles decided to modify on the architecture to get the best out of their target. That doesn't make either one RDNA1, it just means that Microsoft decided to be more in line with the final PC product (they have DX12U that needs to be agnostic for easy porting between PC and Console) while Sony decided to take more liberties and push further certain other aspects like the GE.

They are not RDNA1, they are both RDNA2 based, it has been declared as so and in the corporate world you don't lie on that stuff, because if you do, you get sued to hell.
Technically you are wrong. Period.
and I would let it go ..like said to panajev but ..here we go

Last edited:

3liteDragon

LOL these guys are great fun "pie_tears_joy:

He even tells RGT that GoW2 is near-photorealistic and seems confident about it (he didn’t backtrack yesterday after all the drama and still said the MGS remake reveal is happening this year), but imagine though... All this talk of games trying to achieve photorealism by the end of this gen, but IF (big if) his source turns out to be right, we’d only be a year into this generation with a first-party studio already having made a photorealistic game for PS5.

That would be insane, I really wanna see this game.
py25i4N.jpg

Last edited:
He even tells RGT that GoW2 is near-photorealistic and seems confident about it (he didn’t backtrack yesterday after all the drama and still said the MGS remake reveal is happening this year), but imagine though... All this talk of games trying to achieve photorealism by the end of this gen, but IF (big if) his source turns out to be right, we’d only be a year into this generation with a first-party studio already having made a near-photorealistic game for PS5.

That would be insane. I really wanna see this game.
py25i4N.jpg
Yeah drama aside, I think he’s on the money when it comes to the GOW leak. He stated it would come out later this year and no one believed him but he was right.

It’s plausible too, Santa Monica Studio are known for their visual showcases and it might explain why Sony are holding this card close to their chest.

I’m so pumped for this game!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Cyberpunk now clearly runs better on PS5 compared to Series X, after latest patch (watch for example from 1:10 to 2:00, that's not close). /another_one.gif

Cybperunk on the xsx has been running at much higher settings than the PS5. Better level of detail, more NPCs, more traffic etc. It basically got a next gen patch on day one. Only ray tracing is missing.

FranXico

Are you sure they banned you for that reason?

Seems like many people are saying that both consoles are a mix of the two.
Yes, they are custom, and have a mix of many things. There is no "between RDNA1 and 2", they're based on RDNA2, and contain major parts of what "defines" it.

Any "RDNA 1.x" claim is wrong.

And this applies to BOTH the Series X and the PS5.

Last edited:

skit_data

I mean now I haven't looked this video specifically but if I remember his narrative it's all about ps5 specific aspects which it's surely opinable but far from different to claim ps5 is a superior hardware
My interpretation is that he believe that the focus on the SSD, I/O and ability to process geometry from Sonys side is ”the right bet”. I also believe that to be the case, so if it proves to be the right bet it could indeed be considered the superior hardware. I guess we will find out in a couple of years when UE5 is out and first party titles have launched. As far i can tell, we are still in a paradigm that should benefit the Series X approach more, while we have yet to see what benefit can come of the PS5 approach.

ksdixon

I don’t know if this was posted here already, but ND goes in-depth on the tech behind TLOU2 with various different presentations from engineers and artists. Feel free to check it out.

Sigh... I am so disappointed in TLOU2 that I can't stomach anything TLOU related that isn't 'the TLOU2 MP is released on this date'. And that's assuming the MP is the same style of 4v4 turn your brain off to the story elements, teamwork strategy gameplay. That's a damn shame, really.

i always said it is a mix between rdna1 and 2 ALWAYS why they continue to silence

i said 10 thousand times that is a mix of rdna1 and 2 ....(and also the xsx probably have rdna1 ip inside also if stanard say no) they understand that is a fact and they can't ban me for this reason?

You didn't always said. Period!

You just proved it with bolded part.

And also some other posts :

Absolutely yes. the gpu is very likely based on rdna1 to which they have added a whole series of customizations to make it similar and very close to rdna2. As I have already written there is too much, too much evidence to prove it. It will be interesting once the devs exploit all the capabilities of the hw (2022?) to see the performance differences of both machines.

4) We know directly from the ps5 lead graphic engineer mouth that the ps5 gpu is a mix between rdna1 and rdna2 (based on rdna1 with customization to make it more like rdna2)

till then all facts point out at rdna1 heady modified gpu with most rdna2 features.

Yeeeeesh

But you said it was based on RDNA1 instead of RDNA2. That's contrary to what Mark said and unless you can prove him wrong it's misinformation.

Still the same ol' shit.

Don't let him to make you to look like fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom