• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

I just hope that Sony won't become lazy when you see this absolute non existence of competition.

Tho they were dropping already masterpieces like GOW and SOTC back in PS2 when there was no competetion, so in a sens.

PS: i wouldn't even give any attention to Era, seems like this forum became the moron's meeting Nest since a while already.
Shh, do not jinx them, don't want to get 'PS3 second job' vibes.

Zadom

You didn't always said. Period!

You just proved it with bolded part.

And also some other posts :

Yeeeeesh

Don't let him to make you to look like fools.
That’s it. Sorry to do this MonarchJT, but....

wNZVYk0.jpg

Interfectum

I just hope that Sony won't become lazy when you see this absolute non existence of competition.
They can't. Nintendo will always win even with re-releases, MS trying to buy their way to victory so Sony has no choice but to make 90 MC game after 90 MC game. If any big game fails for them (GoW, GT7, etc) prepare to hear a ton of doomsaying about the fall of Sony first party.

I feel like Sony is in both the best and worst position right now and it could tip either way at any moment.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
Cyberpunk now clearly runs better on PS5 compared to Series X, after latest patch (watch for example from 1:10 to 2:00, that's not close). /another_one.gif

No, superior across the board.

Xbox One (way too blurry, and hovers around 15 fps in many places!) <---> PS4 (grainy looking and averages around 25 to 30 fps)
Xbox One X (frame rate around 20 to 25 fps) <--> PS4 Pro (holds a steady 30 fps most of the time, but sometimes goes down)
Xbox Series X (frame rate 45 - 60 fps, with 50+ typical) <---> PS5 (very good 55 - 60 fps!)

Anyone with a base Xbox One should forget about this game (or wait for further patches). I think that's unplayable, and way too blurry.

Nice that they got it reasonable for PS4 owners.

edit: I re-watched that video and updated XSX from 45 fps to what I mentioned above. Sorry for the lack of accuracy.

I blame it on Bo, and his frame-grab influencing me, so blame him! :LOL:

Last edited:

Xbox One (way too blurry, and hovers around 15 fps in many places!) <---> PS4 (grainy looking and averages around 25 to 30 fps)
Xbox One X (frame rate around 20 to 25 fps) <--> PS4 Pro (holds a steady 30 fps most of the time, but sometimes goes down)
Xbox Series X (frame rate 45 fps typical) <---> PS5 (excellent 60 fps!)

Anyone with a base Xbox One should forget about this game (or wait for further patches). I think that's unplayable, and way too blurry.

Was the 30fps mode removed from the XSX version?

Listen to this engineer.

To be fair, that 320-bit bus on the XSX also has to feed an 8-core Zen2 CPU.

I'm pretty confident the reason it doesn't include IC is due to cost. There's no doubt at all it would benefit greatly from its inclusion, but for a console with an already large die size (360mmsq) including IC would push it well over the edge in terms of APU cost due to the impact on yields.

Kerlurk

Banned
To be fair, that 320-bit bus on the XSX also has to feed an 8-core Zen2 CPU.

I'm pretty confident the reason it doesn't include IC is due to cost. There's no doubt at all it would benefit greatly from its inclusion, but for a console with an already large die size (360mmsq) including IC would push it well over the edge in terms of APU cost due to the impact on yields.

> The answer is Xbox Series X does not need Infinity cache. Infinity Cache was created because of RDNA 2 GPUs 256 bit Mem Bus.

I think that response is very questionable. Cache is about data being closer to the execution units, and thus having much lower latency. Going off chip, involves a much longer wait for the data, and much higher power consumption. Internal cache can scale with the clock, where memory in consoles stays at a fixed clock.

Plus the 320-bit bus is a bit weird on the XSX with it's fragmented access. It's not a full speed 320-bit bus, and was chosen I'm sure for cost reasons. Which is fine, but does not negate the need for something as excellent as Infinity Cache.

BOTH XSX and PS5 would have benefitted by Infinity Cache, and not something I would ever say is not needed. It's just that it takes up die space and increases the cost.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You didn't always said. Period!

You just proved it with bolded part.

And also some other posts :

Yeeeeesh

Don't let him to make you to look like fools.
I read his quotes multiple times and it does seem like he is saying its a mix between rdna 1 and rdna 2. I dont see the gotcha evidence here. what do you think a mix is?

Lysandros

Xbox Series X (frame rate 45 fps typical) <---> PS5 (excellent 60 fps!)

Difference between PS4 and Xbox One got larger toward the end of the generation, there was a time when people were arguing that it would shrink.

Last edited:

Lysandros

It's weird how the internet has gone back to fruitlessly arguing about "full" RDNA 2 bollocks, when the prevailing majority of real games released so far perform better on the supposed "non-full" RDNA 2 console.

shrug GIF by 99 Percent
That's only the beginning, expect quite few articles about the matter citing Locuza and others as a source after the die shot. I also expect DF to jump on the occasion soon.

Last edited:
Was the 30fps mode removed from the XSX version?

The numbers in that entire post are nonsense, so I wouldn't bother with it. LOL

Find me a source where the "typical FPS" on XSX performance mode is 45fps. Some people think finding a screenshot of a single stutter equals the fps average. The 1X is down from PS4 Pro, but is running at more demanding settings in regards to npc density.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
The numbers in that entire post are nonsense, so I wouldn't bother with it. LOL

Find me a source where the "typical FPS" on XSX performance mode is 45fps. Some people think finding a screenshot of a single stutter equals the fps average. The 1X is down from PS4 Pro, but is running at more demanding settings in regards to npc density.

My numbers from watching that video, and off the top of my head. I did not do any math. If you have other numbers to share, then please do so. The difference was quite obvious across the board, and it may very well be that CD Project is behind on their Xbox optimizations compared to the PS4/Pro/PS5.

If your numbers are more accurate, I have no problems accepting them.

EDIT: ok, I re-watched that video, and should have indicated the XSX as 45 - 60 fps, with 50+ typical. Sorry, for not being more accurate.

Last edited:
My numbers from watching that video, and off the top of my head. I did not do any math. If you have other numbers to share, then please do so. The difference was quite obvious across the board, and it may very well be that CD Project is behind on their Xbox optimizations compared to the PS4/Pro/PS5.

If your numbers are more accurate, I have no problems accepting them.

I don't have numbers. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But if I watch a video that has 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay and some of it is at 60fps, most of it is between 50-60, and then there are some total lockups and the maker of the video says they've seen fps as low as 45, I don't say well the typical has to be 45. That's just me.

Kerlurk

Banned
If that's the case then RDNA2 is a MASSIVE failure and AMD screwed the pooch on MS's end...

> Full RDNA2 on console is only available on Xbox Series X|S.

And yet loses the performance crown in game after game. I guess full RDNA2 features set, which I think is a questionable claim, is a bit of Pyrrhic Victory.

They already had the claim of world's most powerful console. Now we moved on, as if that was not good enough, and now full RDNA2 feature set.

Please MS take your victory lap with RDNA2 held high over your head, while Sony enjoys the spoils of war. Lots of wine, women and song. :goog_lol:

Last edited:
Didnt say potentiometers are the issue. I said they are using shitty potentiometers.
I reiterate, what non-shitty potentiometers pray tell would you suggest they replace them with?

The issue isn't shitty quality, it's general wear which I can't see how this won't be applicable to any similar device. The potentiometer design itself is based around the movement of a slider against a graphite strip. You cannot eliminate friction in such a design, which will limit the longevity of the device to a certain maximum number of operational cycles.

The fact that all console vendors are using the same component supplier, to me, suggests there aren't any feasible alternative design options available.

Or do you know something that MS, Sony and Nintendo don't?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I reiterate, what non-shitty potentiometers pray tell would you suggest they replace them with?

The issue isn't shitty quality, it's general wear which I can't see how this won't be applicable to any similar device. The potentiometer design itself is based around the movement of a slider against a graphite strip. You cannot eliminate friction in such a design, which will limit the longevity of the device to a certain maximum number of operational cycles.

The fact that all console vendors are using the same component supplier, to me, suggests there aren't any feasible alternative design options available.

Or do you know something that MS, Sony and Nintendo don't?
If you want to stick up for these companies all using the same shitty part, go for it. Do you want me to admit I am not an engineer or something? I am the consumer in this scenario and its unacceptable that controller prices have gone up and have become more fragile but also use the same parts that are knowingly going to fail.

Why innovate when you can all use the same shitty part that is now the root cause of many lawsuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom