• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
yeah, that makes sense. You cant launch with no games. They just didnt have any leverage. I mean Sony is a business leader and they spent $300 million on second party deals this past year.

I am gonna chalk this up to the way Jason reported this. He made it seem like google had been had. He needs to be less clickbaity than that.
I agree and I think that was my point overall. I don't think they "got taken" by these developer studios. I think they fully knew what they were doing and had a strategy for it. Now, we can argue that this means their business acumen was not on point, or even just say they were 'dumb' to do it. But I just don't think they were clueless and walked into getting taken to the cleaners without realizing what was going on. ;)

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well the PS5 had a ton of negativity around it and most of it didn't come true. Most of that came from people wanting the system to fail.
Totally. There is absolutely ZERO reason at this point to think that the addition of additional storage would cause heating issues for the PS5. ZERO. All of it is purely mad and wishful speculation at this point. The 'best' backup for any of these arguments that I keep seeing is the claim that the current Samsung drive WOULD WORK in the PS5 and that this is somehow evidence that Sony is holding off on allowing this functionality because they are "scared" of the system overheating. Others try to pretend that changing the fan speed of the PS5 via a firmware update is some big, complicated process so they have to take a lot of time to prep the update and thus allow for storage expansion. I guarantee that adjusting the average fan speed or the fan profiles in the firmware is one of the EASIEST things for Sony to do. Allowing for custom sound profiles for the 3D audio or updating how the cards function works, or adding a quick resume or speed switching feature...THOSE things would take some work and time.

Stooky

Can someone help me understand this article.
How can the M.2 drive cause the console to overheat?
I would understand the M.2 drive overheating but not the console.
Plus the M.2 drive has adequate cooling as it's position right next to the fan.

PlayStation 5 Teardown
lHfTaEC.jpg

Hasn't Bloomberg been put on the spot already by Sony when talking about PS5 chip yield.
"the people said" issa first for me, what ever happened to "my sources said"

Twitter and YouTube going to be full with PS5 overheating tweets and vids again.
I think its fud. I’m running a owc m.2 enclosure on my pc that’s smaller than the size of the ps5 space with no big fan sitting next to it. I’m having no problems. Also think of all the laptops running the same type of ssd with less space than ps5. It’s all fud.

Last edited:

Doncabesa

I thought we were past the overheating PS5 rumors.
I mean, I started by saying the PS5 itself is not overheating. That their work for the expansion slot is how hot SSD's themselves run when you're pushing such high speeds. The system has been proven to run just fine, now they have to make sure they can get an above 7gbps SSD to keep that speed. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Totally. There is absolutely ZERO reason at this point to think that the addition of additional storage would cause heating issues for the PS5. ZERO. All of it is purely mad and wishful speculation at this point. The 'best' backup for any of these arguments that I keep seeing is the claim that the current Samsung drive WOULD WORK in the PS5 and that this is somehow evidence that Sony is holding off on allowing this functionality because they are "scared" of the system overheating. Others try to pretend that changing the fan speed of the PS5 via a firmware update is some big, complicated process so they have to take a lot of time to prep the update and thus allow for storage expansion. I guarantee that adjusting the average fan speed or the fan profiles in the firmware is one of the EASIEST things for Sony to do. Allowing for custom sound profiles for the 3D audio or updating how the cards function works, or adding a quick resume or speed switching feature...THOSE things would take some work and time.

Well Sony already has multiple heat sensors in the PS5 that adjust the fan speed based on the highest reading. It's a bit silly to assume that Sony will release a patch that will jack up the fan speed with that system in place. Heck when the guy replaced the liquid metal with thermal paste we can see that system at work there.

If Sony hasn't released the patch to add upgradeable storage it's because they want to give consumers a list of compatible drives that will work with the system. Remember the PS5s SSD is supposed to be pretty advanced. It's only natural that they need to test different drives to make sure they deliver the same experience.

I mean, I started by saying the PS5 itself is not overheating. That their work for the expansion slot is how hot SSD's themselves run when you're pushing such high speeds. The system has been proven to run just fine, now they have to make sure they can get an above 7gbps SSD to keep that speed. I'm sure they'll figure it out.
I agree! Is this another example of 'persecution complex' that some Xbox gamers are accused of? I don't think anyone credible has claimed the PS5 will be overheating because of the NVME. There is an interesting question about how the bay being enclosed could keep the 'drive' from performing at its peak performance not that the entire system was going to overheat. There is also the update to the fan curve that might cause the system to make more 'noise' but again that does not mean the system itself will overheat.

I personally am not a fan of the way Sony chose to increase the storage of their system. The fact that it's over 3 months since it's release and you can't upgrade the storage at all is a much bigger issue. On top of that no cold storage is also curious. There is nothing wrong with pointing out issues with the PS5 or any console. People here love to point out things they don't like about Xbox and it just is what it is. I'm sure the PS5 will be fine.

Last edited:

Doncabesa

And you think Sony didn't plan for that?

So why would it be an issue?

Really just sounds like the typical FUD to me.
What FUD? If it was already solved they'd have the solution available now. It's just talking about the realistic issues you run into with computer components. They obviously need speeds that aren't yet available and may possibly need to ramp up fan speeds to help keep those sustained speeds. Nothing crazy, and nothing to do with how the system runs outside of that expansion slot.

What FUD? If it was already solved they'd have the solution available now. It's just talking about the realistic issues you run into with computer components. They obviously need speeds that aren't yet available and may possibly need to ramp up fan speeds to help keep those sustained speeds. Nothing crazy, and nothing to do with how the system runs outside of that expansion slot.

So your saying the feature isn't available because of overheating issues?

That's the FUD I'm talking about.

You do know that heat isn't the only problem that they can have with those SSDs.

Doncabesa

So your saying the feature isn't available because of overheating issues?

That's the FUD I'm talking about.

You do know that heat isn't the only problem that they can have with those SSDs.
No, I'm not. I'm saying expansion isn't available because they don't have SSD's yet that can run at the speeds they need. Part of that is how hot SSD's run and how that throttles their performance and how incredibly expensive SSD's that run anywhere near that fast currently are. This is a simple fact about SSD"s. If you need 7gbps or greater constant speed then it's going to generate a metric fuckton of heat and for now be very expensive. If this summer date rumor ends up being right then obviously they have plans to solve it by then.

Last edited:
No, I'm not. I'm saying expansion isn't available because they don't have SSD's yet that can run at the speeds they need. Part of that is how hot SSD's run and how that throttles their performance and how incredibly expensive SSD's that run anywhere near that fast currently are. This is a simple fact about SSD"s. If you need 7gbps or greater constant speed then it's going to generate a metric fuckton of heat and for now be very expensive. If this summer date rumor ends up being right then obviously they have plans to solve it by then.

So what's Sony going to so recall everyone's PS5s to upgrade the cooling system?

That isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

Doncabesa

So what's Sony going to so recall everyone's PS5s to upgrade the cooling system?

That isn't going to happen.
What? I have already said I don't think the system's cooling will be negatively affected. The main reason there is no expandable storage is due to the insane speeds they need. Insane speeds = a ton of heat, thus this article about why the fan curve may be raised up to compensate with that to help the SSD itself stay cool. Obviously they put a big assed fan in there for a reason. No one is stating anything negative about the console itself. Just explaining WHY there is nothing verified for the expansion slot as of yet, yeesh.

What? I have already said I don't think the system's cooling will be negatively affected. The main reason there is no expandable storage is due to the insane speeds they need. Insane speeds = a ton of heat, thus this article about why the fan curve may be raised up to compensate with that to help the SSD itself stay cool. Obviously they put a big assed fan in there for a reason. No one is stating anything negative about the console itself. Just explaining WHY there is nothing verified for the expansion slot as of yet, yeesh.

Let me put it this way.

Sony will not allow expandable storage to cause a RROD issue with the PS5. The drives that do that will not work in the console.

Regardless of which compatible drive you put in the PS5 will be able to handle the heat.

So yes the system could have an adequate cooling system to handle a "ton of heat".

Don't worry about the PS5. It will be able to expand its storage in the future.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Can someone help me understand this article.
How can the M.2 drive cause the console to overheat?
I would understand the M.2 drive overheating but not the console.
Plus the M.2 drive has adequate cooling as it's position right next to the fan.

PlayStation 5 Teardown
lHfTaEC.jpg

Hasn't Bloomberg been put on the spot already by Sony when talking about PS5 chip yield.
"the people said" issa first for me, what ever happened to "my sources said"

Twitter and YouTube going to be full with PS5 overheating tweets and vids again.

This is what I was getting at before. There was an interview about the teardown, some of it is here on NeoGAF:

The part I cant find, he talks about the NVMe slot and the cooling. Like you say, its already factored into the design of the console. The fans adjustment is probably part of already considered precautions.

Some ppl are as always jumping to the extreme negative conclusion that its overheating issues, concerns. Fan noise is a legit concern. Luckily mine is quiet.

I seriously doubt heating/cooling concerns is the main reason why it wasnt unlocked yet. For one thing, if 7Gbps drives will be the minimum, there's barely any on the market right now. The slot unlock being in the summer is probably more for the compatibility and not the heat.

Last edited:

Zadom

It’s a good thing Doncabesa and DarkMage619 are here to give each other repeated thumbs up. I’m glad you have found each other. All thanks to their appreciation of all things PlayStation.
kUW8w3j.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“The cooling will not be negatively affected” + “the drives would generate tons of heat” + “Sony has a plan to solve it that is taking them a long time to develop” = :confused:

How are they solving this “cooling problem” then? Recalling PS5’s? Building support for SSD’s again to replace the support they added already in the launch consoles?

Rudius

Despite being disappointed by the Stare of Play, I think it is a smart move not to show much right now. It is better to save God of War, Horizon gameplay and other stuff for a big "E3 like" presentation. I know there won't be a traditional E3, but at that time people will be with high expectations; they can announce a big show and capture a large audience.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
And you think Sony didn't plan for that?

So why would it be an issue?

Really just sounds like the typical FUD to me.
The issues, I believe (or it's even with my own experience) is that PCIe 4 drives with fast speed can ridiculously hot if they are not properly cooled. Those 7GB/s drives are in totally different ballpark than you standard 2GB/s option, which can run without heatsink pretty easily, even tho they still reach 70C if they don't have proper airflow.

I have this drive:

ImgW.ashx

Which probably does not fit PS5 due to heatsink, but even then it needs to fan close, because otherwise it's starts to report to system that it runs too hot.

This is not fault of Sony. As you can see here with PS5 certified drive (well according to WD) they are still rather toasty while doing something and since PS5 have this "extension of RAM feature" they are probably going to work whole time you are play the game. Here is some test: https://www.legitreviews.com/wd_black-sn850-2tb-pcie-gen4-nvme-ssd-review_223577/11

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man, I tell ya! Xbox fanatics and supposed “PC gamers” have it all figured out that the engineers at Sony missed. All of a sudden their PCs and laptops melt and RRoD when last week they were perfectly optimal and cool as a cucumber.

And shit, it wasn’t too long ago last year when they were sharing that silly video about someone running M2 drives in a quad array to try and match the PS5 with absolutely “zero issues,” now one drive is an issue.

Go play some games, people.

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

raul3d

The cooling of the M.2 add-on SSD was already described during the original PS5 teardown.

DeepL translation from https://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999027/20201016035/:
Q: As a minor detail, some M.2 SSDs are equipped with a heat sink. Are there any precautions to be taken when installing such SSDs in the expansion slot?
A: The physical design allows the heatsink to be stored as long as its height is less than 8 mm from the board surface. The expansion slot has a metal cover, but it is best to avoid contact with this cover. If an SSD with a tall heatsink is installed, it may interfere with the metal cover. The chassis and screw holes for attaching the metal cover are made of plastic, so there is a possibility of damage. Therefore, it would be best to avoid products with extremely tall heat sinks for expansion SSDs.
Q: Some PC motherboards are equipped with heat sinks for M.2 SSDs, but what kind of device is used in the PS5?
A: We have prepared two exhaust holes for the additional SSD slots. The expansion slots are located near the intake fan, so the exhaust holes are designed to draw out heat through negative pressure.

Last edited:
The issues, I believe (or it's even with my own experience) is that PCIe 4 drives with fast speed can ridiculously hot if they are not properly cooled. Those 7GB/s drives are in totally different ballpark than you standard 2GB/s option, which can run without heatsink pretty easily, even tho they still reach 70C if they don't have proper airflow.

I have this drive:

ImgW.ashx

Which probably does not fit PS5 due to heatsink, but even then it needs to fan close, because otherwise it's starts to report to system that it runs too hot.

This is not fault of Sony. As you can see here with PS5 certified drive (well according to WD) they are still rather toasty while doing something and since PS5 have this "extension of RAM feature" they are probably going to work whole time you are play the game. Here is some test: https://www.legitreviews.com/wd_black-sn850-2tb-pcie-gen4-nvme-ssd-review_223577/11

The operating temperature of one of these devices is entirely dependent on installed cooling setup.

The WD Black SN850 peaks at 7W under heavy load. That's the equivalent of the Switch APU TDP. It's not a lot of heat, and although the device runs with a heatsink (which is also does in the PS5 console) it doesn't need that much airflow to cool 7W of heat, as most of that heat will even dissipate through the rear side of the PCB.

It's why the Switch can cope being passively cooled in a handheld device form factor.

The Bloomberg reports are clearly BS.

Edit: Wow M1chl M1chl you read that quick. I'd barely posted before seeing your like response.

Last edited:

M1chl

The operating temperature of one of these devices is entirely dependent on installed cooling setup.

The WD Black SN850 peaks at 7W under heavy load. That's the equivalent of the Switch APU TDP. It's not a lot of heat, and although the device runs with a heatsink (which is also does in the PS5 console) it doesn't need that much airflow to cool 7W of heat, as most of that heat will even dissipate through the rear side of the PCB.

It's why the Switch can cope being passively cooled in a handheld device form factor.

The Bloomberg reports are clearly BS.
I thought it's 15W or maybe that's my drive (was one of the first available), anyway hopefully in PS5 there is enough room for heatsink, I don't have PS5 so i don't know how much clearance is there.

EDIT: I do, as a dyslexic, I read "shapes" so I can read fast. And yeah I was at this site, so I can go fastly back to you : )

Last edited:
I thought it's 15W or maybe that's my drive (was one of the first available), anyway hopefully in PS5 there is enough room for heatsink, I don't have PS5 so i don't know how much clearance is there.

Which drive do you have?

I've checked a bunch of drive of differing capacities and speeds and from the manufacturers specs the peak power consumption for writes is almost unanimously less then 7W. They typically range from 4 to 7W.

M1chl

Which drive do you have?

I've checked a bunch of drive of differing capacities and speeds and from the manufacturers specs the peak power consumption for writes is almost unanimously less then 7W. They typically range from 4 to 7W.
That on the pic, Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB

M1chl

Incidentally, that one was the first one I checked:

7.4W max (source)
Very well, in that case, I am not sure, why I had such an issues with overheating, I was dealing with that back in I believe...umm...probably around summer last year and on some forum they were info that it's 15W peak and that I have to add a fan, which I did. I probably going to replace this drive anyway, I would warn people to not use first generation of such drives. I has fat early adopter tax all over it.

TheGejsza

I doubt they completely changed FF7R though... I'm sure the PS5 SDK does some of that heavy lifting automatically.
They are working on Yuffie DLC (Integrade) and FF7R Part 2 so I guess they need to incorporate Sony SSD solutions anyway into FF7 engine-solutions so back-porting should not be a problem. Also it's as I said in FF7R thread - Intergrade is a testground for them - which assets can be carried over, how much work they need to do and learn in-and-outs of new gen. Yufffie DLC will most likely used Midgard assets too so they can incorporate some of the upgrades into base FF7R.

I don't think the ssd support problem is all about heat, mark cerny explained it thoroughly that it was about achieving the sameness performance as the internal ps5 ssd and that is crucial. Consoles need to work the same and identical on any circumstance they aren't pcs, nobody cares if u plugged an ide hdd with 5mb per second on pc and another guy has a ssd. Pc performance can vary but consoles iron rule is same performances in all boxes.

For instance games that would be made to use the ps5 ssd would require the same throughput and speeds as the internal drive since its architecturally used as ram so having a slower drive would basically crash the game and bring all sorts of problems from stutters, popin, and crashes. Good example unreal 5 demo. A slower drive would make it run as bad a slower cyberpunk runs on lastgen consoles.

ksdixon

Why in the world do you give 2 shits about Sony's positive word of mouth?

The system itself is awesome.. (although a bit half-baked software wise)... Sony will produce awesome as fuck games... who cares if they have some PR losses?...

I mean the absolute kings of all awful DRM, who were the only 1st party with an "online pass" system charging users for used games... made a funny video about being able to trade PS4 games, and the entire internet forgot all about that because Microsoft was looking so stupid.

Bad PR can only mean good things for gamers, as bad PR will cause Sony do do better things. They aren't your friend.

I took some time-out to think on this reply. I think my main issue with Sony is that I don't want it to be either resting on it's laurels, or shooting itself in the foot with bravado/laziness. Either one is just as precarious as the other.

• Whilst Amazon and Google have tried putting their flag into cloud gaming specifically and kindof failed spectacuarly; we've seen that they have the money to throw around for games to come to their service. Time exclusives, or exclusive games, don't follow too far behind simply paying asking for ports. And unlike MS, I don't think if Google/AMZ were to get exclusive games, they would be as willing as MS 'may' be to share with Sony (see: MineCraft). Taking that a step further once more, Google/AMZ have the money to buy developers/publishers and not share their games. I really don't another box under my TV, or stick plugged-into my TV's already scarce HDMI slots. I sort-of look at Google's Stadia and AMZ's Luna failures like I do Sony producing games for the SEGA CD to learn the right and wrong ways to go about this whole gaming thing, before returning later down the line to try again...

• I'm tired of the PS5 leadership team making stupid mistakes/poor business decisions that either leave easy money on the table, causes mass confusion or bad PR (spiderman ps4 remaster upgrade, control upgrade, ff7r upgrade/PS+ issues, shitting on backwards compatability, no-one seemingly knowing what PSNow is compared to GPUltimate, cross-gen focus...) Basically, anything that screws PS over within the larger corporate structure of Sony, or the gaming landscape as it stands.

• Why does this irk me so? Well... MS can literally afford to be out here spending 7.2B on Bethesda. They literally don't need to put the effort in to make good new games or make all the right business moves for them or their customers without making stupid mistakes - when can just buy-back any advantage they may lose through their actions. I'm not one who champions MS's approach to gaming. I tend to view GP as 95% quantity and 5% quality. Sony need to keep whatever advantage they have, not shoot their foot off whilst saying they're gonna spend all their earnings on media related purchases. Not screeching that no one wants BC or portable consoles or old IPs reused, when you can clearly see elsewhere that all of these things are just not true.

• Comparing PS5's handling to PS4's, you'd think the new management were drunk or retarded. It's only because MS are still doing so much worse in their own mistakes right now (still not focusing on new games, the Series S's baseline specs pulling everything down to it's level etc.) that PS5 team's mistakes aren't talked about more, in my opinion.

I don't think the concern about the SSDs overheating the console and causing RROD type issues is justified. Sony will determine which drives you can use in your system. If you plug in a device that's dangerous it simply won't work.

The reason why the PS5 doesn't support incredibly fast NVMEs is not because of heat. It's because those devices are extremely new on the market and Sony has to thoroughly test them out.

As a summary drives that are tested to be dangerous for the system will simply not be supported. I don't think people have to worry about a RROD type issue with their systems.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think the concern about the SSDs overheating the console and causing RROD type issues is justified. Sony will determine which drives you can use in your system. If you plug in a device that's dangerous it simply won't work.

The reason why the PS5 doesn't support incredibly fast NVMEs is not because of heat. It's because those devices are extremely new on the market and Sony has to thoroughly test them out.

As a summary drives that are tested to be dangerous for the system will simply not be supported. I don't think people have to worry about a RROD type issue with their systems.
Look at all them RRoD PCs and laptops.

🤡👌

Two generations later and some peeps still can't let that go. Must've stung hard.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The cooling of the M.2 add-on SSD was already described during the original PS5 teardown.

DeepL translation from https://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999027/20201016035/:
I have been trying to find this for the past few days, lol.

Exactly. Like a wise person once said:

Man, I tell ya! Xbox fanatics and supposed “PC gamers” have it all figured out that the engineers at Sony missed. All of a sudden their PCs and laptops melt and RRoD when last week they were perfectly optimal and cool as a cucumber.

And shit, it wasn’t too long ago last year when they were sharing that silly video about someone running M2 drives in a quad array to try and match the PS5 with absolutely “zero issues,” now one drive is an issue.

Go play some games, people.

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom