• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't really use DLSS even.. I'm fine just doing 1440p native on my 4k screen for PC games, upscaling to 4K w/ added artifacts that I randomly notice and aggravate me isn't my thing.
DLSS and similar techniques are going to be fantastic for VR imho. Especially on current high end VR headsets, we go to 4k or 8k resolutions and 90fps is really a sweetspot for comfort. Imagine pushing 4k to 8k and constant 90 fps, that shit is not easy in the slightest. Constant being the keyword because the 1% dips are very noticeable even if above 60/70 fps. Completely breaks the immersion.

So yeah, I welcome all improvements in upscaling techniques :)

RaZoR No1

Thats the question with regards ML and how it helps VRS, its an advantage to be sure, yet we still dont know how Sony has approached VRS in the PS5, it is assumed GE will have its own version and there is some level of ML too... Yet Sony are very quiet on the matter, and no devs have mentioned it either... We still don't now how much RAM is reserved for the OS if any.
I dont get Sony, why they are so close minded about sharing some of the PS5 information
In the end I think it will be easier reaching close to 100% performance on a PS5 than on a Xbox Series.

Garani Garani

I just hope that the ML part wont end like the Power of Cloud...

btw: cant we edit a post to insert another quote???

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Honestly, MS killed it with VA. Their 'out of the shelf' SSD tech + VA and those other buzzwords I don't know have been pretty much on par with PS5 on multiplats so far.

Yeah I know, "but we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg of what Sony's 1st party will do". I know. But I think everyone was expecting PS5 to blow XSX out of the water in this regard based solely on the ssds specs and that has almost never been the case.

So Kudos to MS for coming up with a smart (and probably much cheaper) solution.
Fair enough, everyone thought XSX would blow PS5 out of the water regarding performance...

LiquidRex

I dont get Sony, why they are so close minded about sharing some of the PS5 information
In the end I think it will be easier reaching close to 100% performance on a PS5 than on a Xbox Series.
Yeah Microsoft have been more forthcoming with regards to the XSX XSS, I assume Sony are happy with the games doing the talking. We've had nothing of interest since Road to PS5.

DJ12

Road to ps5 was at the wrong time, it needed to be after the showcase so everyone knew the 10.23 or whatever didn't mean the console was weak or was less next gen than the other. The talk needed backup.

It was so universal panned that I doubt we will see the like again from them. People are far more interested in the games.

Neo Blaster

Road to ps5 was at the wrong time, it needed to be after the showcase so everyone knew the 10.23 or whatever didn't mean the console was weak or was less next gen than the other. The talk needed backup.

It was so universal panned that I doubt we will see the like again from them. People are far more interested in the games.
Indeed, we're yet to see what a FP studio can do when developing exclusively to PS5. I can hardly wait to see what Insomniac accomplished with Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart.

ethomaz

Banned

It was at the right time... GDC.
If people really wants more technical info from PS5 you will need to wait the next GDC.

Due the Pandemic it happens in July this year.

Last edited:
Fair enough, everyone thought XSX would blow PS5 out of the water regarding performance...
No everyone did not think the XSX would blow the PS5 out of the water. Maybe a random fanboys but why would anyone care about what they think? If you looked at specs it was clear they'd be close in performance and seeing how developers are not likely to have massive differences in multi-platform products that gap would present even smaller. Judging by the games coming out now that sentiment was correct.

It was during GDC which was aimed more at developers than consumers. It definitely has nothing to do with timing. People on the forums took it as being aimed at consumers hence why many think it was a failure when it was meant for a different audience.

Only fanboys thought that. Legit developers have stated the machines are closer in power than the numbers suggested but fanboys couldn't help themselves when the 10.2TF number came up on screen at Road to PS5 and for months after that.

Last edited:

yewles1

It was for GDC, it was originally for devs only. It makes sense for the timing for I doubt Sony could've come up with the time or to-do to set up an exclusive, private streaming conference for specific eyes only.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony Bravia XR A90J 4K OLED TV Review | Believe the Hype!

All PS5 and XSX games I’ve tested on this TV look amazingly next-level. Sony engineers have outdone themselves this time.

They combine the best OLED panels with the best image processing... it is hard to go wrong.

Sadly they use the Android TV but seems like Google is finally focusing on the OS with Google TV.... let’s hope the new interface is for TVs and not like the mobile focused Android TV interface.

Last edited:

Rea

Garani Garani

Its sony style, even their TVs, they won't divulge their full hardware specs and how it works, they only advertise the features that customers will see.

3liteDragon

We don't even know what ML in the XSX can do, I don't think we can compare it with Sony's implementation (if there is any).
There was that one dev who talked about Series X's shaders being more suited for ML compared to PS5's and how that can be seen as a POTENTIAL advantage for them, but what are the big differences anyway? I'm sure both consoles support FP16, 8-bit, and 4-bit integer operations, so is it a potential advantage for the SX because it has more CUs?

Garani

Garani Garani

There was that one dev who talked about Series X's shaders being more suited for ML compared to PS5's and how that can be seen as a POTENTIAL advantage for them, but what are the big differences anyway? I'm sure both consoles support FP16, 8-bit, and 4-bit integer operations, so is it a potential advantage for the SX because it has more CUs?
Let me put my IT hat on. What I am about to say comes from being an IT professional for the past 30 years, in very large and complex environments that deal with loads of different data and mixed tecnologies (open+mainframe): Machine Learning is total bullshit.

At the current stage AI, Machine Learning, whatever you want to call it, it's a bunch of stupid IF-THEN statements that try to mimic a learning process, and it's not anything fancy.

DLSS is a great upsampler, and works very well, but it's very specialized. Technology will get better and I am sure that in 5 years time we will have much better machine learning capabilities, but for the time being don't expect anything fancy, expecially on home consoles

Source: me.

/end of the rumbling

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
If you watch the video, it is clear that in some cases the resolution difference in favor of PS5 is significant and produces crisper image. ,e.g the cut scene in 04.30 of the video. In other cases, CBR produces artifacts that are barely noticeable. However as per DF policy, only the latter is mentioned. I would prefer to watch the VGTECH for unbiased results.
I mean who gives a fuck to a crisper cutscene if during gameplay blurriness is atrocious...even the HUD is affect the fuck Nixxes thought that's simply horrible such CBR. I really don't understand what was complicated about native dynamic. The only thing could be the engine code doesn't works particularly well on ps5 with native output for 60 fps and it requires too much investment to fix it. It's not the first game enhanced via patch on ps5 with a massive difference in pixels counts compared series X. I'd like to know the hell it's the cause everytime and still I'm not convinced ps5 doesn't requires BC for games enhanced via patch. If you look to the Cerny presentation, he clearly says there 3 BC modes. PS4 native, PS4 pro native and ps5 enhanced . Now the fuck is the ps5 enhanced for if PS4 base and pro works automatically as the res or fps improvement with uncapped setting? Maybe it means games natively coded on previous generation are still BC and developers unlock the ps5 mode and adds more effects via patch? It's not clear to me

Last edited:
I mean who gives a fuck to a crisper cutscene if during gameplay blurriness is atrocious...even the HUD is affect the fuck Nixxes thought that's simply horrible such CBR. I really don't understand what was complicated about native dynamic. The only thing could be the engine code doesn't works particularly well on ps5 with native output for 60 fps and it requires too much investment to fix it. It's not the first game enhanced via patch on ps5 with a massive difference in pixels counts compared series X. I'd like to know the hell it's the cause and still I'm not convinced ps5 doesn't runs in BC at all. If you look to the Cerny presentation, he clearly says there 3 BC modes. PS4 native, PS4 pro native and ps5 enhanced . Now the fuck is the ps5 enhanced if PS4 base and pro works are automatic on normal BC as the res or fps improvement with uncapped setting? People insist to say games enhanced via patch are true native ps5 something is sounds off to me. Maybe it means games natively coded on previous generation are still BC and via patch developers can unlock the ps5 mode and adds more effects? It's not clear to me
Yep it's actually the same problem as Hitman 3. In both games they took Pro settings and applied them on the PS5 version. No need for further tests, they know it's going to work as intended. It saves dev time. There will always be cases like this as long as those games are cross-gen.

Just look at the real next-gen game like Control, COD or NBA. Same res, very similar performance.

Elog

I mean who gives a fuck to a crisper cutscene if during gameplay blurriness is atrocious...even the HUD is affect the fuck Nixxes thought that's simply horrible such CBR. I really don't understand what was complicated about native dynamic. The only thing could be the engine code doesn't works particularly well on ps5 with native output for 60 fps and it requires too much investment to fix it. It's not the first game enhanced via patch on ps5 with a massive difference in pixels counts compared series X. I'd like to know the hell it's the cause everytime and still I'm not convinced ps5 doesn't requires BC for games enhanced via patch. If you look to the Cerny presentation, he clearly says there 3 BC modes. PS4 native, PS4 pro native and ps5 enhanced . Now the fuck is the ps5 enhanced for if PS4 base and pro works automatically as the res or fps improvement with uncapped setting? Maybe it means games natively coded on previous generation are still BC and developers unlock the ps5 mode and adds more effects via patch? It's not clear to me
I am thinking the same. There is a group of PS5 games that have very similar settings as the PS4 Pro that run fairly crappy from an image quality point of view even though it is 60 FPS. It almost seems to me as if they have thrown the PS4 Pro code with some easy tweaks that do not require a lot of work into the PS5 compiler and called it a day. Technically that is a native PS5 version - albeit a bad one.

My observation from this is that quick and dirty last-gen ports to this gen is simply handled better by the Xbox eco system given that both run 100% under DIrect X and the Xbox one X game version rarely includes code tweaks that introduces hard-caps to resolution and/or FPS.

Rea

I believe that native Ps5 BC mode is taking advantage of ps5 boost mode and run smoother FPS on old titles. For example, GOT 60fps patch and GOW 60fps 4k mode.
Currently, for some 3rd party games tagged with PS5 tag are games built or ported with PS5 SDK. But they are still called PS5 native games, not BC games.

LiquidRex

In this image there's so many funny metaphors here on the current Console waring... Who's up for the challenge. 🔥😊
qgbdy15.png

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
I'm interested in this oled too, waiting for vicent teoh review. How's your impression so far? What feature is the most appealing compare to your previous tv?

In my humble opinion the A90J is the best OLED TV I’ve ever had. It replaced a LG C9 I had on my man cave. Still have a X900H on the bedroom but won’t be comparing the A90J to that. The A90J is the brightest OLED you can get in the US right now. It can reach over 1300nits in Vivid mode. But since nobody uses vivid, it will give you close to 1000nits peak brightness on most image modes and around 815nits once calibrated by a professional. For a display with infinite contrast like an OLED, anything over or close to 1000nits is a lot of perceived brightness. Seriously, specular highlights on this TV in HDR will blind you in a dark room. Color volume is also extremely accurate out of the box. The new XR cognitive processor makes everything looking more realistic in a way but not overdone. The motion processing and motion resolution is almost perfect on this set. Google TV OS works okay, nothing special about it. The only downside in my opinion is the number of available HDMI 2.1 ports. The A90J has only 2 (and one of them is the eARC port). The other two are older HDMI 2.0b ports. That shouldn’t be much of a problem if you connect your devices straight to a HDMI 2.1 compatible receiver. Gaming on the A90J look leagues ahead of anything I’ve ever seen in the past. Actually any content playing on the A90J looks better than on any other TV I’ve ever had. So if you can afford one buy it. You won’t regret it.

Last edited:

Allandor

Ori runs at 4K 120 on Unity.
Also "New Super Lucky's Tale" with FPS boost.

But yes, the engine seems to need a potent CPU to reach something like that. Unity god better over time. Those games were also made for 4k60 for the last-gen refresh consoles. So it is not really surprising.
But overall, Unity engine games don't need to always run at a flawed framerate. It just seem to need more optimization.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I believe that native Ps5 BC mode is taking advantage of ps5 boost mode and run smoother FPS on old titles. For example, GOT 60fps patch and GOW 60fps 4k mode.
Currently, for some 3rd party games tagged with PS5 tag are games built or ported with PS5 SDK. But they are still called PS5 native games, not BC games.
There is really a big limiting factor to enhance ps5 games via patch and it's quite evident. If we look to the Ubisoft games they are all tied to the Pro res setup, just why if BC is completely absent? Doesn't make sense. Anyway the real bizzarre things on Avengers it's to see native resolution at 30 FPS so GPU not seems the problem there. 60 fps are mostly CPU bound, BC is tied to the CPU frequency, that's would explain perfectly why performance are still not perfectly 60 fps locked even with so many compromises in the GPU side IMO.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea
There is really a big limiting factor to enhance ps5 games via patch and it's quite evident. If we look to the Ubisoft games they are all plagued with terrible low res too. Anyway the real bizzarre things on Avengers it's to see native resolution at 30 FPS so GPU not seems the problem there. 60 fps are mostly CPU bound, BC is tied to the CPU frequency, that's would explain perfectly why performance are still not perfectly 60 fps even with so many compromises IMO.
No more than XSX. We can see usually the 120fps games are actually running slightly better (or similar) on PS5. Those Ubisoft PS4 games running via BC are most probably not using the full PS5 clocks. But look at some of the PS5 native Ubisoft games: Fenyx and AC5, those run quite great on PS5.

Last edited:

Rudius

I have been saying it for a while, but people dont realize just how good next gen games are going to look. The leap will be even bigger than the leap from last gen. We should be approaching photorealism in some games.

As good as Demon Souls and Godfall look, they are still targeting 60 fps at 1440p. A 1440p game at 30 fps would have 2x more GPU power to play with. I like to think Demon Souls as a game designed with a 5 tflops GPU budget in mind. bluepoint talked about how they wanted to hit 60 fps from the beginning and that means every choice they made was limited by that framerate target.

I dont think devs like Remedy, ND, SSM, GG, insmoniac and Sucker Punch will target that framerate. At least not at 1440p. Maybe they might do a 1080p 60 fps mode. I remember TLOU remastered being 60 fps and that UE4 reveal being 60 fps made everyone think ND would do 60 fps but they went with graphics over framerate for all three games last gen. I think they will do the same even with the boost to CPU. They will use that CPU boost to do more complex physics, A.I and destruction.

Anyway, Im glad that the Remedy dev came out and said that. The console manufacturers have done a shit job of getting us excited about the future with all this nonsense cross gen talk, CGi trailers and lack of new games in general, but the tech is there and the little bits and pieces we have seen so far indicate a jump in fidelity we have never seen before.

5ka60P4.gif

BFAGbBS.gif

ltQC7TV.gif

inG1I9g.gif
I hope they don't sacrifice 60fps, at least as an option, for better visuals. If something has to go, I'd give up on resolution. 1080p60 is similar to 1440p30 (or 1512p) in terms of power needed, but a 1080p60 game feels much better to play and to me looks better as well.

assurdum

Banned
No more than XSX. We can see usually the 120fps games are actually running slightly better (or similar) on PS5. Those Ubisoft PS4 games running via BC are most probably not using the full PS5 clocks. But look at some of the PS5 native Ubisoft games: Fenyx and AC5, those run quite great on PS5.
I'm just talking of Avengers. CPU not seems absolutely limiting on the ps5 quite the contrary

Rudius

DLSS and similar techniques are going to be fantastic for VR imho. Especially on current high end VR headsets, we go to 4k or 8k resolutions and 90fps is really a sweetspot for comfort. Imagine pushing 4k to 8k and constant 90 fps, that shit is not easy in the slightest. Constant being the keyword because the 1% dips are very noticeable even if above 60/70 fps. Completely breaks the immersion.

So yeah, I welcome all improvements in upscaling techniques :)
DLSS artifacts will probably more noticeable in VR, but i'd still rather have that than blurry graphics.

Interfectum

Yep it's actually the same problem as Hitman 3. In both games they took Pro settings and applied them on the PS5 version. No need for further tests, they know it's going to work as intended. It saves dev time. There will always be cases like this as long as those games are cross-gen.

Just look at the real next-gen game like Control, COD or NBA. Same res, very similar performance.
Also remember Hitman 3 should be getting another 'next-gen' patch that does ray tracing and other performance features later this year. Perhaps they will revisit PS5 deficiencies then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom