• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

Only fanboys thought that. Legit developers have stated the machines are closer in power than the numbers suggested but fanboys couldn't help themselves when the 10.2TF number came up on screen at Road to PS5 and for months after that.

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

Have you seen that? I haven’t.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

While watching the FGS stream I asked myself, were past games advertised as "available on Xbox One and Xbox One X"? or just Xbox One with the addition One X Enhanced?
I find it a bit strange that they always mention: For Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
why not just say Xbox Series Consoles?
I mean I cannot remember if for example Sony did it like for PS4 and PS4 Pro and listed both consoles.

Why are they doing that for the Xbox Series? More recognition and ad time or is it even possible that in few years the Series S will be dropped and only XSX games will be published? As far as I can see cross gen games have only Xbox One and Xbox Series X remarks on the case/cover.

skit_data

Why are they doing that for the Xbox Series? More recognition and ad time or is it even possible that in few years the Series S will be dropped and only XSX games will be published?
jCrT9R0.gif

Larvana

Appeal to ignorance. Dont try to front.

You know that shit turned you on when snakeoil phil revealed that magical 12tf number. Now you and the rest of your flunkies are trying to sing a different tune.

Revisionist history at its finest. The best part is that this even that long ago. :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:
I mean, you no need to talk. The Playstation fanboyism literally escapes your trap every time.
You also sing a different song whenever Xbox does better than Playstation in areas.

Rea

In 30fps was very close to native according to df and with temporal they cant even see difference (they temporal upscaling solution is really good as for me game is quite sharp even with this new rt 60fps mode using 1440p internal res, mich better than cb)
Wrong, fidelity mode with raytracing in SM MM is native 4k with 30fps, also combine with temporal upsampling technique to get cleaner imagae quality.

Jemm

Why are they doing that for the Xbox Series? More recognition and ad time or is it even possible that in few years the Series S will be dropped and only XSX games will be published? As far as I can see cross gen games have only Xbox One and Xbox Series X remarks on the case/cover.
XSS has no disc drive so it makes sense not to list it in the cases to avoid confusion.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
While watching the FGS stream I asked myself, were past games advertised as "available on Xbox One and Xbox One X"? or just Xbox One with the addition One X Enhanced?
I find it a bit strange that they always mention: For Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
why not just say Xbox Series Consoles?

I mean I cannot remember if for example Sony did it like for PS4 and PS4 Pro and listed both consoles.

I would take a guess at some people could take Xbox Series consoles as all Xbox consoles as the XB1S is still for sale.

You sucked a dick for it didn't you?
No, I didn't.

Man if someone gave you that advice in order to get one those GPUs .... he lied to you.

Don't worry we don't judge you.

Instead of textures, PS5 uses a secret sauce technique.... "checkerboard blur".

Man your sources/references.... oh my good what do you follow in Twitter?
giphy.gif

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Wrong, fidelity mode with raytracing in SM MM is native 4k with 30fps, also combine with temporal upsampling technique to get cleaner imagae quality.
not sure this is true for 100% of game, for example spiderman remastered fidelity mode according to vgtech
Fidelity Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2808x1580. Fidelity Mode uses a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when the native resolution is below 3840x2160. A native resolution of 3840x2160 seems to be common in Fidelity Mode.

SubZer0

Banned
The guy you just responded to said, in the same sentence, that it was both native 4K and upsampled lol
He is absolutly right

"When utilizing the quality Mode with ray tracing the game delivers a full native 4k output @ 30 frames per second... the native 4k rendering is paired with insomniacs temporal upsample technique to produce a supremly crisp very clean image" John Linneman DF

At the 14:15 mark

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He is absolutly right

"When utilizing the quality Mode with ray tracing the game delivers a full native 4k output @ 30 frames per second... the native 4k rendering is paired with insomniacs temporal upsample technique to produce a supremly crisp very clean image" John Linneman DF

Maybe you can explain how that makes a lick of sense.. unless they are upsampling to above 4k and then scaling down?

Either way game is absolutely gorgeous and smoooooth.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People used Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Dirt 5 to show the PS5s superiority. None of these games are taking full advantage of the respective systems power.
Its been more games compared, and I think you know what the difference is with all the games compared since you bought those 2 up.

True, none are, but we arent gonna just dismiss cross gen games when they never were dismissed before.

Critical and logical thinking takes a back seat for certain games, I get it.

Also....I think its really telling how you bought up PS5 superiority, I never said anything specific about either console.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

VA is recorded quite far into the total development time no? Interesting to say the least

You'd have some recorded to do trailers and whatnot theoretically.

But yeah, otherwise I imagine you'd only want to really dive into it after the game is nearly done, but that's just a guess. You also could do it after the "script" is done, but then you risk some things not fitting into the game and paying for the VA.

dcmk7

Banned
Its been more games compared, and I think you know what the difference is with all the games compared since you bought those 2 up.

True, none are, but we arent gonna just dismiss cross gen games when they never were dismissed before.

Critical and logical thinking takes a back seat for certain games, I get it.

Also....I think its really telling how you bought up PS5 superiority, I never said anything specific about either console.
Hardly surprising he loves a SonyToo.

SubZer0

Banned
Maybe you can explain how that makes a lick of sense.. unless they are upsampling to above 4k and then scaling down?

Either way game is absolutely gorgeous and smoooooth.
As far as i Remember it helps to get a better image quality overall also in combination with TAA the anti aliasing is better which make sense, you can watch the whole analysis john explains it in the video

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

As far as i Remember it helps to get a better image quality overall also in combination with TAA the anti aliasing is better which make sense, you can watch the whole analysis john explains it in the video
Well they'd have to be super-sampling basically to do that is my understanding.

You'd have to start at 4k, then upsample to a higher res, for both the claim of "native 4k" and "upsampling" to be true. So 4k assets, upsampled to say 6k.

I've never heard of upsampling to a higher than native rez then downsampling but maybe that's it.

(sorry don't actually have time to watch the vid right now)

SubZer0

Banned
Well they'd have to be super-sampling basically to do that is my understanding.

You'd have to start at 4k, then upsample to a higher res, for both the claim of "native 4k" and "upsampling" to be true. So 4k assets, upsampled to say 6k.

I've never heard of upsampling to a higher than native rez then downsampling but maybe that's it.

(sorry don't actually have time to watch the vid right now)
I know what you mean with super sampling but i think its different here

As far as i have understand isomniacs Temporal Injection Technique helps by its nature with anti aliasing/image quality

For example: we know that some games (not all) have a better image quality when running through DLSS 4k vs native 4k
Lets say you have a machine with enough horsepower to run a game at native 4k and you want the benefit in quality from that DLSS

You run that native 4k game via DLSS... Resolution wise you get nothing because you allready here (native 4k) but you get the advantage in image quality

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom