• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right here, the PS5 has a fixed power limit and when it's crossed the components have to downclock.
There appears to be a large enough buffer, so that the PS5 CPU and GPU in most cases don't have to downclock or only by a minor amount.

The Xbox Series X/S on the other hand should never downlock, even at full load of both CPU and GPU.
There might be a safeguard through downclocking implemented or it will simply shut down.
Throttling exists remember that and having fixed clocks will always throttle when the heat increases.

skit_data

rwVnbde.gif

Thats...thats console parity

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
One of the biggest problems we have in this forum is people reading what they want to read instead of what's written.

No, being a shill of company Y is not worst than being a shill of company X. Never said that, never will.

And I know you weren't referring to me @TheThreadsThatBindUs I was only answering because expanding rumors without no concrete evidence only makes forums like this one worse.
....there is no other way to take what you posted....

Are you serious right now?

OK, are you trying to say if someone winds up getting paid to be a Sony shill, then its all good then?

C'mon...

Last edited:

yewles1

jroc74

You are right here, the PS5 has a fixed power limit and when it's crossed the components have to downclock.
There appears to be a large enough buffer, so that the PS5 CPU and GPU in most cases don't have to downclock or only by a minor amount.

The Xbox Series X/S on the other hand should never downlock, even at full load of both CPU and GPU.
There might be a safeguard through downclocking implemented or it will simply shut down.
I think this is what some are getting at. They both will downclock, just based on different criteria. Cerny also said a situation where the PS4 would shut down, the PS5 would handle it more gracefully, in that DF interview when this came up.
Throttling exists remember that and having fixed clocks will always throttle when the heat increases.

This is easy to see right now with smartphones and an app that monitors the ram, cpu, battery, etc.

I think many here are assuming that the PS5 downlocks something like 95% of the time but that just isn't true. Sony wouldn't have chosen those high clocks if they couldn't guarantee them to developers. While downclocking will happen with the PS5 it shouldn't lead to an system that can barely play any games well.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Nope infact the coontrol remedy dev explained this properly about why crosssgen games dont perform too well or look better and how hard it is to port to new consoles, he said they are held back by old engines/ apis and the overall code. Cross gen games are not native even if they are recompiled and weve seen this with ps5 games if they arent well optimised they suffer more from how it handles general ps4 emulation and series x suffers in some cross gen games because of the api problems from xdk to gdk.

This games arent using this nextgen consoles well at all and i had this hunch for a while, you can see for example god of war bc runs with constant frame rates 60 but still uses ps4 pro resolutions and when it was patched its cbr resolutions where much more cleaner but still suffered from ps4 pro defects
wlnvXzV.png

Why do you think ps4 pro has better settings and resolutions than one x and series s here and the ps5 has lower res than series x despite having a solid 60 in most cases this just shows the brocken nature of crossgen games

Here is what the remedy dev said
HBpflwq.jpg
o3ecUed.jpg
Well, that definitely makes more sense. So this PS5 patched games are really taking minimal advantage of the hardware. I can see a difference even with for example, the Nioh 2 remastered. It basically just plays like it did on my Ps4 PRO. I don't notice anything different except for awesome load times! But when I play Demon's Souls remake or Godfall even, they just feel much different. Something is just much more noticeable about the games so far that I've played that ARE true, next-gen games. So what you said makes a lot of sense.

onesvenus

....there is no other way to take what you posted....

Are you serious right now?

OK, are you trying to say if someone winds up getting paid to be a Sony shill, then its all good then?

C'mon...
Yes, there is another way to take what I posted: I'm saying that it's better, for him/her, to be a payed shill than to be an unpayed shill. Which company someone is a shill for does not matter.

And to add further clarification, it's better for the one who gets paid, not for anyone else.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, that definitely makes more sense. So this PS5 patched games are really taking minimal advantage of the hardware. I can see a difference even with for example, the Nioh 2 remastered. It basically just plays like it did on my Ps4 PRO. I don't notice anything different except for awesome load times! But when I play Demon's Souls remake or Godfall even, they just feel much different. Something is just much more noticeable about the games so far that I've played that ARE true, next-gen games. So what you said makes a lot of sense.
I have been saying it for a while, but people dont realize just how good next gen games are going to look. The leap will be even bigger than the leap from last gen. We should be approaching photorealism in some games.

As good as Demon Souls and Godfall look, they are still targeting 60 fps at 1440p. A 1440p game at 30 fps would have 2x more GPU power to play with. I like to think Demon Souls as a game designed with a 5 tflops GPU budget in mind. bluepoint talked about how they wanted to hit 60 fps from the beginning and that means every choice they made was limited by that framerate target.

I dont think devs like Remedy, ND, SSM, GG, insmoniac and Sucker Punch will target that framerate. At least not at 1440p. Maybe they might do a 1080p 60 fps mode. I remember TLOU remastered being 60 fps and that UE4 reveal being 60 fps made everyone think ND would do 60 fps but they went with graphics over framerate for all three games last gen. I think they will do the same even with the boost to CPU. They will use that CPU boost to do more complex physics, A.I and destruction.

Anyway, Im glad that the Remedy dev came out and said that. The console manufacturers have done a shit job of getting us excited about the future with all this nonsense cross gen talk, CGi trailers and lack of new games in general, but the tech is there and the little bits and pieces we have seen so far indicate a jump in fidelity we have never seen before.

5ka60P4.gif

BFAGbBS.gif

ltQC7TV.gif

inG1I9g.gif

Its exactly whats happening bc/ crossgen games are just running the ps4 engines but get a boost on perormance on ps5 they arent native it just takes alot of work for devs to optimise the games so some games might perform better than others.

LiquidRex

Would it not be fair to say, with regards to which Console (PS5, XSX) is the more technically advanced would be by comparing visually impressive first Party Titles... For example GOW Ragnarok vs Hellblade 2, and which game maintains its target FPS/Resolution. (it's assumed both these titles are aiming for photorealism) same goes for GT7 vs Forza 8.

jroc74

Would it not be fair to say, with regards to which Console (PS5, XSX) is the more technically advanced would be by comparing visually impressive first Party Titles... For example GOW Ragnarok vs Hellblade 2, and which game maintains its target FPS/Resolution. (it's assumed both these titles are aiming for photorealism) same goes for GT7 vs Forza 8.
IMO, thats gonna probably be the best way.

But it might be the worse way....lol. Its hard to do this unless its multi platform. Hellblade might wind doing less gameplay wise vs Ragnarok.

Then whats gonna be the metrics? XSX, ray tracing? PS5, loading, pop in, etc? Trying to compare like for like...... I remember someone was trying to compare the loading of Gears 5 to some PS5 cross gen exclusive or maybe Demon's Souls. It didnt favor Gears at all.

LucidFlux

they arent native

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

1. Let's say a game originated as a PS4 title and has had no updates and there is not a separate version that you can download specifically for PS5. On PS5 You would be playing the game in BC mode.
  2. Now let's say this game gets an update to it's video settings allowing you to switch to an all new performance mode, but it's still the PS4 game and there is not a separate PS5 version to download. You are still playing the game in BC mode on PS5.
  3. Next, the game gets a big patch with updated effects, new lighting, textures, better compression and vastly improved load times. There is now a separate PS5 version of the game to download. Now this software is running as a native app on the PS5 and not BC mode as it is no longer a "PS4" game.

BUT IT'S NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF ALL THE PS5 FEATURES HOW CAN IT BE NATIVE!!!!

This is what I think some people are getting hung up on. Being a "native" PS5 app doesn't mean anything other than that the game was republished as a completely new application using the PS5s SDK.

What it doesn't mean is that the game/engine was completely overhauled to take full advantage of the new hardware. We will see varying degrees of effort put in to these titles ranging from MVPs to some developers going well above and beyond.

LucidFlux

Na there's way too many variables because you're comparing two completely unique pieces of software, on different engines, with different artistic direction, and so on.

All that would be testing is which human's optimized their specific game better to hit their targets.

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

1. Let's say a game originated as a PS4 title and has had no updates and there is not a separate version that you can download specifically for PS5. On PS5 You would be playing the game in BC mode.
  2. Now let's say this game gets an update to it's video settings allowing you to switch to an all new performance mode, but it's still the PS4 game and there is not a separate PS5 version to download. You are still playing the game in BC mode on PS5.
  3. Next, the game gets a big patch with updated effects, new lighting, textures, better compression and vastly improved load times. There is now a separate PS5 version of the game to download. Now this software is running as a native app on the PS5 and not BC mode as it is no longer a "PS4" game.

BUT IT'S NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF ALL THE PS5 FEATURES HOW CAN IT BE NATIVE!!!!

This is what I think some people are getting hung up on. Being a "native" PS5 app doesn't mean anything other than that the game was republished as a completely new application using the PS5s SDK.

What it doesn't mean is that the game/engine was completely overhauled to take full advantage of the new hardware. We will see varying degrees of effort put in to these titles ranging from MVPs to some developers going well above and beyond.
This is a well written and better explanation than i could have put on. It exatly entails whats going on with this games that people dont get, i think the reason people got into a pool of confusion was because of the marketing of this crossgen games.

After publishers started calling them ""native" it made people convinced that they are made from scratch for nextgen. That word "native" has mislead people and its not the first time that marketing has mislead people. Anyhow i just cant wait for nextgen games after devs are free from the crossgen pandemic.

More details

A alpha/beta testing for F2P? And only for insiders? Why there was no beta/alpha test for removing XBL yearly sub. I guess it is easier to force gamers to pay more for XBL codes then :/ ( of course XBL yearly was returned later)

I was thinking about getting this game. No free upgrade though? Eh might just get the PS5 version.

So, no free upgrade on Xbox?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Actually they admit that PS5 pushes more pixels, but this is not good. I wonder if it was the other way around, would it be better?
Native 1600p is far better than such CBR solution without doubt. I don't see the problem especially if dynamic with 1800p would be quite tough to distinguish to average 1800p. Really I don't get this cheap choice.

Last edited:
Gt7 and forza 8 would be a fair comparison cause no microsoft studio other than forza can has the talent of playstation studios infact no game in the whole of last generation pc or console can compare to the talent, art and fidelity of playstation studios,

Asking any studio to produce something like uncharted 4, last 2, the order or god of war is too much only turn 10 with forza can give gran turismo a run for their money and thats a stretch aswell

FOr everybodys health id rather just keep the comparisons in multiplat titles cause no single studio will make anything close to what playstation studios will come up with especially knowing theyll use that ssd memory without being held back by any other hardware.

Last edited:
Might be worth a look.

Honestly, MS killed it with VA. Their 'out of the shelf' SSD tech + VA and those other buzzwords I don't know have been pretty much on par with PS5 on multiplats so far.

Yeah I know, "but we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg of what Sony's 1st party will do". I know. But I think everyone was expecting PS5 to blow XSX out of the water in this regard based solely on the ssds specs and that has almost never been the case.

So Kudos to MS for coming up with a smart (and probably much cheaper) solution.

Honestly, MS killed it with VA. Their 'out of the shelf' SSD tech + VA and those other buzzwords I don't know have been pretty much on par with PS5 on multiplats so far.

Yeah I know, "but we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg of what Sony's 1st party will do". I know. But I think everyone was expecting PS5 to blow XSX out of the water in this regard based solely on the ssds specs and that has almost never been the case.

In that regard I would say wait and see what Ratchet does with it. After all it's supposed to be a tech demo of the I/O. Maybe we will see something crazy with it?

jamwest24

This is freakin hilarious in so many ways 😂 You glaze over the engines not pushing anywhere near the same amount of data and that we’re seeing glorified last-gen stuff for now... And then praise them for literally showing nothing to prove it’s been effective..

Devs have done nothing porting things to PS5 except tweak some things in the dev kit from PS4 Pro. And the same goes for XSX just getting mainly glorified Xbox One X games.. hence the differences in checkerboard rendering and resolution.

Vagos48

Native 1600p is far better than such CBR solution without doubt. I don't see the problem especially if dynamic with 1800p would be quite tough to distinguish to average 1800p. Really I don't get this cheap choice.
If you watch the video, it is clear that in some cases the resolution difference in favor of PS5 is significant and produces crisper image. ,e.g the cut scene in 04.30 of the video. In other cases, CBR produces artifacts that are barely noticeable. However as per DF policy, only the latter is mentioned. I would prefer to watch the VGTECH for unbiased results.

ethomaz

Banned

I’m not sure which games are you playing on PS5 because the SSD is really outstanding and delivered what Sony said... there are several examples already.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

What reserves does the XSX have, with regards to the PS5 which has... A Custom IO which frees up the CPU, the Geometry Engine, and the Tempest Engine which can perform other compute tasks if devs wish it too. 🤔
Better tools

just a joke, no ban pls

I think devs will get better in using the split speed unified memory and probably learn to feed the CUs better.
Additionally I still think that PS5 has less overhead than Xbox with their adjusted Win 10 OS and DirectX. There should be some room for improvements.
My bet is, that this part doesn't scale that good like on PS5, with the lean and fast design.

Other than that, I think even some PCs for the next few years wont be that specialized in I/O with the extra comp/decomp blocks etc. like the PS5.

BTW: How was the ML part on the PS5? Does it have the same capabilities as the Xbox? If not, this probably could be an interesting part for improvements, where Xbox could close the gap or maybe gain some advantages

This post makes very little sense. Where does one even begin. Good grief

EDIT: No offense bro. Just disagree with your post.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Better tools

just a joke, no ban pls

I think devs will get better in using the split speed unified memory and probably learn to feed the CUs better.
Additionally I still think that PS5 has less overhead than Xbox with their adjusted Win 10 OS and DirectX. There should be some room for improvements.
My bet is, that this part doesn't scale that good like on PS5, with the lean and fast design.

Other than that, I think even some PCs for the next few years wont be that specialized in I/O with the extra comp/decomp blocks etc. like the PS5.

BTW: How was the ML part on the PS5? Does it have the same capabilities as the Xbox? If not, this probably could be an interesting part for improvements, where Xbox could close the gap or maybe gain some advantages
Thats the question with regards ML and how it helps VRS, its an advantage to be sure, yet we still dont know how Sony has approached VRS in the PS5, it is assumed GE will have its own version and there is some level of ML too... Yet Sony are very quiet on the matter, and no devs have mentioned it either... We still don't now how much RAM is reserved for the OS if any.

I think we've seen very little on what the SSD's can offer, even in terms of loading.

Most current game engines are still coded for standard CPU decompression and hardly take advantage of the SSD and I/O subsystems for loading. Wait until we see true next-gen games.

dcmk7

Banned
I think we've seen very little on what the SSD's can offer, even in terms of loading.

Most current game engines are still coded for standard CPU decompression and hardly take advantage of the SSD and I/O subsystems for loading. Wait until we see true next-gen games.
We have seen it with Spiderman:Miles Morales and Demon's Souls.

Superb quality of life improvement. Especially in the case of Demon's Souls where you can be dying and respawning fairly often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom