• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddworld: Soulstorm Q&A with Lorne Lanning – Game Lasts 20 Hours, PS5 Version Runs at 1440p@60

Wow. Was sure this was going to be native 4K at least.

Watch it be 4K on Series X. That fucking train is never late.

Shmunter

I was specifically asking about what I bolded. It's obvious you need at least to compile your code using each headset own sdk but that's not due to them having different positional trackings.
If, as you say, those games need to be patched it's just a matter of Sony doing it that way and not wanting the hassle of supporting two different headsets with it's own sdk, nothing else.

Oculus, for example allows you to target the Rift and the Quest headsets, which have different positional tracking systems, chipsets, etc. with the same build
Yeah, I’m optimistic for psvr1 to simply work on psvr2 seamlessly and patch free. Sony is in control of the entire pipeline so you’d hope they would be able to simply abstract the positional data making PSVR1 games be none the wiser on the change in hardware.

Mr Moose

1080p on PS4 OG, 1440p on PS5...
tenor.gif

Wasn't it 4k during the PS5 reveal?

jamwest24

It's a Unity engine game.. it's not exactly known to be the best performing engine, and they've only had some dinky PS5 games so far on that engine.

Stop drawing conclusions from these early games lol
Exactly.. it’s still being handicapped because it has to be designed for previous gen, which by default limits it a ton. Not to mention it’s probably using all the PS4 has to offer to do the physics simulations in this game, which are quite intense on a mediocre old CPU in the PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
tenor.gif

Well it is 30fps on PS4 and 60fps on PS5.
If you take Cerny words you need 4x the power the game at the same setting as PS4 at 4k.... that means around 8TFs.

So if you added 60fps to the math it won’t reach 4k... it could in 30fps even with better effects.

But they could have it at 2160p DRS.

Last edited:
It's a Unity engine game.. it's not exactly known to be the best performing engine, and they've only had some dinky PS5 games so far on that engine.

Stop drawing conclusions from these early games lol
Nah I doubt anyone is drawing anything from these early games. I'm sure it's just we're surprised that a game that doesn't look that demanding and this early in the gen can only muster 1440p.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nah I doubt anyone is drawing anything from these early games. I'm sure it's just we're surprised that a game that doesn't look that demanding and this early in the gen can only muster 1440p.

Well this had just been posted:

Something is seriously wrong with the PS5 if that happens.

Not to pick on Beavis, but even if the XBox version is 4k.. that could just mean a more DX12 based engine.. which would be hardly surprising considering Unity's roots.

(but it'll probably be similar on Xbox anyways)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well this had just been posted:

Not to pick on Beavis, but even if the XBox version is 4k.. that could just mean a more DX12 based engine.. which would be hardly surprising considering Unity's roots.

(but it'll probably be similar on Xbox anyways)
Unity has pretty good interface with Playstation (maybe just 4 for now, tho, but not sure), problem is that everything else in Unity sucks for something more high-profile, because overhead on everything. You program on it with C# which all in itself is never going to run like C++ on UE4 for example.

Not sure why is there still need for Unity, outside of some beginner bedroom devs.

IntentionalPun

Unity has pretty good interface with Playstation (maybe just 4 for now, tho, but not sure), problem is that everything else in Unity sucks for something more high-profile, because overhead on everything. You program on it with C# which all in itself is never going to run like C++ on UE4 for example.

Not sure why is there still need for Unity, outside of some beginner bedroom devs.
Entire thing is based on .Net framework (Mono).. they aren't exactly going to be able to abandon that. Has nothing to do with C# as a language vs C++.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I didn't know that. Explains a lot then.
And like I said it'll probably be the same on Xbox too.. not great performance... because it's Mono... just using Unity sort of indicates likely the dev team is not a bunch of whiz-bang graphics programmers lol (there are some huge games like Genshin Impact that use it.. but nothing that's a graphics powerhouse, a lot of art-focused games like Ori, which had it's own weird perf issues)

My point goes both ways; games performing better or worse on either system aren't proving anything at this point about the systems.

We'll know in a few years probably more.. but it'll still continue to probably be close.

A boring gen for comparers Is what I'm predicting.

Last edited:

That's pretty much it. No offense to tbe developers but the game doesn't "look" that demanding to me.

Maybe it is but I'm not seeing it from the footage that was shown.

oddworld.jpg

Last edited:

Rea

onesvenus

He's probably not the only one, either.

Wouldn't surprise me if a few of the posters on here later got outed in the same way.

Wasn't it this very forum at the beginning of the XB1 gen when a bunch of posters got banned after being discovered being paid astroturfers.
If that were the case, which there's no evidence whatsoever, I'd say that's better than being a Sony shill without getting any money from it, don't you think?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt there's got to be some paid shills or secret employees on this board defending their farm.

As onesvenus said, it's better to be paid than a warrior getting nothing out of it.

A warrior doing it for free is no different than a referral. And thats the best marketing a company can get if they can convince their user base to market the brand for them for free.

assurdum

Banned
He's probably not the only one, either.

Wouldn't surprise me if a few of the posters on here later got outed in the same way.

Wasn't it this very forum at the beginning of the XB1 gen when a bunch of posters got banned after being discovered being paid astroturfers.
I doubt here it's the case but I'd bet all money on Resetera is filled of them lately. The comparison thread there are became insufferable, unbelievable the amount of stupidity I heard around the hardware difference between the two console lately from "casual" users without no one would say a shit about it, most of the time.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
tenor.gif

1080p 30 fps vs 1440p 60 fps. 1.75x pixels, 2x the framerate. so roughly a 4x boost to the pixel budget.
I doubt here it's the case but I'd bet all money on Resetera is filled of them lately. The comparison thread there are became insufferable, unbelievable the amount of stupidity I heard around the hardware difference between the two console lately from "casual" users without no one would say a shit about it, most of the time.
Era mod Judge was a known xbox MVP when he was on gaf. They used to fly him out to mingle with Xbox folks.

Several Xbox fans on gaf became era mods after the split.

If that were the case, which there's no evidence whatsoever, I'd say that's better than being a Sony shill without getting any money from it, don't you think?
It always cracks me up people think that if someone is a fan of Xbox they have to be getting paid. It couldn't be that they offer a compelling product. Nah no way!

assurdum

Banned
1080p 30 fps vs 1440p 60 fps. 1.75x pixels, 2x the framerate. so roughly a 4x boost to the pixel budget.

Era mod Judge was a known xbox MVP when he was on gaf. They used to fly him out to mingle with Xbox folks.

Several Xbox fans on gaf became era mods after the split.
I don't know but until the last year after all the site was quite neutral. But lately Christ ... there is really something of wrong, I noticed it's changed a lot and not in a good way.

Garani

That's pretty much it. No offense to tbe developers but the game doesn't "look" that demanding to me.

Maybe it is but I'm not seeing it from the footage that was shown.

oddworld.jpg
It's an old style platform, which is not a bad thing in itself, and it's not a demanding game.

1440x60fps is not acceptable, especially when we have Spiderman MM working at 4Kx60fps with basic ray tracing, swinging all over NYC.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It's an old style platform, which is not a bad thing in itself, and it's not a demanding game.

1440x60fps is not acceptable, especially when we have Spiderman MM working at 4Kx60fps with basic ray tracing, swinging all over NYC.
You should be new to see Unity engine performance especially on console...

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
That unity sucks, we all know it. That doesn't make it acceptable :D
If I can say I find less acceptable see Avengers needs to run mostly at 1800cbr (I thought 4k CBR was mandatory) for 60 fps and from a talented studio as Nixxes. Don't expected it at all.

Last edited:

Garani

it's a very small studio behind it, comparing it to Insomniac Games is strange
Come on, it's a platform game with simple horizontal movement, basically no vertical, with fixed paths. Unity sucks and they decided to go with Unity. They could have decided to use UE4, but didn't. Being a small studio doesn't excuse them from choosing the wrong engine for the job.

Maquette, for example, was perfect for Unity, very story driven, no need for a 60FPS output, Unity was just a fine choice.

If I can say I find less acceptable see Avengers needs to run mostly at 1800cbr for 60 fps (neither 4k CBR) and from a talented studio as Nixxes. Don't expect it at all.

Well, yeah :D

This is totally false first of all nobody needs 4k on a handheld its a waste of everything power, pixels, memory, compute everything a crisper 1080p is all you need even that is over kill its the texture resolution that matters more and enough memory to atleast have parity in ports cause the original switch lesss memory meant some levels where cut back from xbone and ps4 ports. The teraflops shouldnt be a problem cause processors get faster every 2 years for the same price its the memory that in worried about.

Come on, it's a platform game with simple horizontal movement, basically no vertical, with fixed paths. Unity sucks and they decided to go with Unity. They could have decided to use UE4, but didn't. Being a small studio doesn't excuse them from choosing the wrong engine for the job.

Maquette, for example, was perfect for Unity, very story driven, no need for a 60FPS output, Unity was just a fine choice.

Well, yeah :D
Its not unity or unreal its the challenge of crossgen games and bc emulation even unreal engine 4 engines suffer from this on ps5 its not about horizontal movement i keep saying this dont confuse how you play and what your seeing as a measure of the stress on tge gpu, the gpu does maths only the engineers know why its getting stressed for what its rendering, why do u think cuphead cant run 120fps on a xbox one!

This is totally false first of all nobody needs 4k on a handheld its a waste of everything power, pixels, memory, compute everything a crisper 1080p is all you need even that is over kill its the texture resolution that matters more and enough memory to atleast have parity in ports cause the original switch lesss memory meant some levels where cut back from xbone and ps4 ports. The teraflops shouldnt be a problem cause processors get faster every 2 years for the same price its the memory that in worried about.
Agree, I find it hilarious they are talking 4k, but the screen is 720p xD

Just use AA, will be cheaper.

kyliethicc

I'm sorry there's fuck all in that screenshot to show me where 10TF's is going.

It could just be a simple dev decision to make their own job(s) easier. Maybe they'd have to re-do some art assets if they wanted to go to 2160p. The game was clearly designed for 1080p on PS4. Oddworld Soulstorm has been in development for many years now. Taking all their visuals that have been built over years for 1080p and just bumping them up to 1440p is probably the easier way for an indie dev to just make their game.

The PS5 has a lot of compute/graphics power. Lots of games, especially indies, will never use the system to its fullest potential. And thats fine. Hardware has reached a point where its no longer the specs that are the barrier for achieving games that look like Red Dead or The Last of Us or God of War. Using the hardware to its fullest will now require a lot of developers, a lot of time, and a lot of money. Not many games will be able to. Only some big AAA games will.

No one who will enjoy playing Oddworld at 1440p60 would actually enjoy the game more if it was 2160p60.
No one who would only enjoy playing Oddworld if it was 2160p60 would actually enjoy the fucking game.

Why are you being defensive? I wasn't referring to you.

Being an unpaid shill of any platform is worse. No need to single out Playstation (unless you think being an unpaid shill of MS is somehow better:messenger_hushed:).

Last edited:

onesvenus

Why are you being defensive? I wasn't referring to you.

Being an unpaid shill of any platform is worse. No need to single out Playstation (unless you think being an unpaid shill of MS is somehow better:messenger_hushed:).

Being a shill for company X is better than being a shill for company Y.

omg....
One of the biggest problems we have in this forum is people reading what they want to read instead of what's written.

No, being a shill of company Y is not worst than being a shill of company X. Never said that, never will.

And I know you weren't referring to me TheThreadsThatBindUs TheThreadsThatBindUs I was only answering because expanding rumors without no concrete evidence only makes forums like this one worse.

One of the biggest problems we have in this forum is people reading what they want to read instead of what's written.

No, being a shill of company Y is not worst than being a shill of company X. Never said that, never will.

And I know you weren't referring to me TheThreadsThatBindUs TheThreadsThatBindUs I was only answering because expanding rumors without no concrete evidence only makes forums like this one worse.
What rumours?

Saying "it wouldn't surprise me if..." isn't expanding rumours. That's a purely bullshit accusation with no basis.

You're being too oversensitive (as usual).

Speculation is the daily bread and butter of this forum. Learn to distinguish it.

Locuza

I don't think that's why the PS5 does the down locking. From what I've read the PS5 has a fixed power limit and when the work load stresses out the hardware enough it downlocks so it doesn't bust the fixed power limit.

The only thing I've seen from a safety point of view is the PS5 shutting itself down due to overheating. That was in the video when they removed the heatsink to see how it reacts to overheating.
You are right here, the PS5 has a fixed power limit and when it's crossed the components have to downclock.
There appears to be a large enough buffer, so that the PS5 CPU and GPU in most cases don't have to downclock or only by a minor amount.

The Xbox Series X/S on the other hand should never downlock, even at full load of both CPU and GPU.
There might be a safeguard through downclocking implemented or it will simply shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom