• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt say it is pissing me off, but i am not buying a hot, energy guzzling 2ghz 9tf ps5 unless it is $199. So i am looking for alternative theories that dont ignore the info we have. two 36 cu chips would give us a 13+ ps5, satisfying all the people who have said ps5>xsx and pachter’s $1000 comment, while not contradicting anything in the github papers.

if it isnt dual gpu, ps5 looks like a serious POS. more energy, more heat, less power...lol, wtf.

Maybe it will be 2GHz at backwards compatibility mode and lower the GPU frequency by perhaps 1.5 to 1.8Ghz range when activating additional Compute Units to play an actual PS5 game.

Last edited:
Whoa people are seriously entertaining dual gpus on such a wide scale. I will say this. Never, ever, make fun of misterxmedia again. Even I as a hardcore xbox fan never bought any of that stuff, and there are people here really entertaining PS5 having dual 36CU GPUs? And what would they charge for such a thing exactly?

Dargor

Whoa people are seriously entertaining dual gpus on such a wide scale. I will say this. Never, ever, make fun of misterxmedia again. Even I as a hardcore xbox fan never bought any of that stuff, and there are people here really entertaining PS5 having dual 36CU GPUs? And what would they charge for such a thing exactly?

giphy.gif

What does dual compute unit mean, and are there any examples of this in the pc world? I am speculating, but I want to believe so bad.
ex8ebVW.jpg

Chooo Chooo :-(

This is how a new gen creates a new misterxmedia, it's a process.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

I do wonder why the PS5 devkit is such a monster (bigger than XSX) and supposedly only contains a small 36CU GPU inside.:pie_thinking:

images

joe_zazen

Yeah but did it start from another rumour or just people speculating? I've also seen that link few posts ago

it is an old but interesting rumour combined with the fact that navi linux drivers have dual gpu entries, a distinct change from vega drivers that had no mention of slave and master gpus. It is a reach, but not totally crazy.

otherwise, sony have made a apu that literally has no upside beyond being a little cheaper to manufacture and all of the comments from insiders make no sense.

Kdad

i wouldnt say it is pissing me off, but i am not buying a hot, energy guzzling 2ghz 9tf ps5 unless it is $199. So i am looking for alternative theories that dont ignore the info we have. two 36 cu chips would give us a 13+ ps5, satisfying all the people who have said ps5>xsx and pachter’s $1000 comment, while not contradicting anything in the github papers.

if it isnt dual gpu, ps5 looks like a serious POS. more energy, more heat, less power...lol, wtf.
There was a rumour awhile back about connecting two PS5 together to create beast mode....hahaha

But I have no clue about any of this other than PlayStation creates the games I like and the rest are on PC or Nin...so X is moot.

Last edited:

Raploz

I agree. Although RT is important, developers: more specifically, artists and animators need to get over this barrier of motion stiffness. Static, rigid animations are getting old as fuck. Sure the texture work looks great, and in still pictures look real, but they move like dolls, puppets, manikins. If PS5 and Xsex can display realistic cinematic motion indistinguisible from a movie scene, then they will truly bring us to next gen.

Maybe it's not far from happening:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Well PS4’s devkit was also huge. Yet PS4 base is considered by many to be disappointing.

ps4devkit.jpg

That’s still small compared to the PS5 devkit.
Note: The PS5 controllers are larger than the PS4.

PS5:
3 x controllers wide
2 x controllers deep
1 x controller high (when turned on its side)

PS4:
2 x controllers wide
2 x controllers deep (maybe)
Half a controller high

Last edited:

Raploz

PS5:
3 x controllers wide
2 x controllers deep

PS4:
2 x controllers wide
Half a controller high

Maybe it's big because they're trying to cool a 2Ghz GPU.

xPikYx

it is an old but interesting rumour combined with the fact that navi linux drivers have dual gpu entries, a distinct change from vega drivers that had no mention of slave and master gpus. It is a reach, but not totally crazy.

otherwise, sony have made a apu that literally has no upside beyond being a little cheaper to manufacture and all of the comments from insiders make no sense.
This at least is either close to my prediction and not absurd like that 9tf one

Still think if they talk PS at all it'll be a relaunch if PS Now...do we know if Google is showing up with Stadia?

I haven’t heard about google. Someone made a comment the other day how the recent game trailers at the game awards didn’t have a stadia logo at the end. But had PS4 and Xbox. Seems devs and pubs aren’t liking stadia much?

Even if the mention PS5 I highly doubt they will talk about teraflops, which is what everyone here is freaking out about.

True. I’m not that concerned about the TFs. I just want some updated info. Maybe BC related, a game announcement or two. Just something to tide me over till their actual unveil meeting whenever that is.

Mista

Banned
Devs. I think someone mentioned this before but only the managers and high-end employees know about the specs on the next-gen consoles. That part is definitely true, so even most devs don't know the specs. They may have an "idea" from rumors at a given company, but they probably don't know the specs (most of them I mean) -- or at the very least was told that specs aren't final form factors.
What about the studios that already started making games for PS5 and Xbox? Aren’t they supposed to know by now?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
If that devkit was dual GPU then it would have leaked by now I think.

Sure, I don’t want to get into any long discussions. I just find it interesting that whatever is inside the devkit that they’ve designed each side to be cooled down equally.

Last edited:
Industry analyst piers Harding made 11 prediction for 2019 and 10 of those were correct . He made another 10 prediction for 2020 .

In one of those, he says ps5 and xsx will launch at same price and it will be higher than 399$. He expects less brand switching . Both ps5 and xsx will sell more than their predecessors.

I guess the whole ps5 going for $399 might not happen

PS5:
3 x controllers wide
2 x controllers deep

PS4:
2 x controllers wide
Half a controller high

You're overthinking this. If they have the GPU clocked to 2GHz (or even higher) as multiple other rumors have supposed, then the system would need to be pretty large and with a lot of room for cooling even if it's a 40 CU chip. There is also the CPU, GDDR6, blu-ray drive, SSD (likely M.2), PSU, USB/ethernet hubs/ports, I/O ports etc. all populating the motherboard, either taking up space, generating heat, or both.

And if the GPU is clocked very high (which would affect the APU's TDP), then they may want those components arranged differently on the motherboard to help with implementing a sufficient cooling solution. And you would get something to the size of the PS5 V-design devkit with that setup going.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
You're overthinking this. If they have the GPU clocked to 2GHz (or even higher) as multiple other rumors have supposed, then the system would need to be pretty large and with a lot of room for cooling even if it's a 40 CU chip. There is also the CPU, GDDR6, blu-ray drive, SSD (likely M.2), PSU, USB/ethernet hubs/ports, I/O ports etc. all populating the motherboard, either taking up space, generating heat, or both.

And if the GPU is clocked very high (which would affect the APU's TDP), then they may want those components arranged differently on the motherboard to help with implementing a sufficient cooling solution. And you would get something to the size of the PS5 V-design devkit with that setup going.

My point was only half could be used to cool that chip with that design. So it is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom