• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

giphy.gif

Flip a switch...I mean when they slowly fuckn up since the end of the 360 era with the slow down of critical games and again they had al this gen to get their shit together and they didnt. They had a pretty good start, better than sony and then fell over gasping for air 5 minutes into the race. They had 6-7 years to straighten up and didnt.
It takes 4-5 years to develop a new AAA game. Games in development are already signed up to distribution deals, so they just cant buy a studio and get their games as exclusives. This takes time. But even with that it still had a number of exclusives that were good.
In 2018 they bought 6 new studios and formed The Initiative.
As I have said a number of times here, there is going to be a rush by Sony, MS and Google to buy up game studios. Google has already just started and have bought a few and set up some others. MS and Google have tons of money, and they can buy up the biggest studios in the world. EA, Rockstar, Activision etc etc. In the next couple of years there will be some bombshell buy outs that will change the landscape of games forever. There will be more and more exclusives per console moving forward. Just imagine if google bought out EA and Rockstar, which meant none of their games would appear on any future PS or Xbox. The only way you could play these games would be through Stadia. Well, thats exactly what Google will do to gain market share. So while Sony has good exclusives, if there became a bidding frenzy and big buyouts happen, Sony is in no position to go against MS and Google.
If I was you I would be more worried about what MS is going to do next gen, and less worried about what they did historically.

ZywyPL

Banned
So based on what we currently know, in terms of previous gen jumps, where do you guys think this next one will land?

PSX-PS2, PS2-PS3 or PS3-PS4?

I'd say this will be the biggest jump yet, never seen before - no matter what the jump was, the consoles always ended up being hugely bottlenecked by some factor, be it the GPU, RAM, CPU etc., and this time around all the official info and leaks/rumors indicate we will get a really damn balanced machines, they won't even have HDD on top of everything.

psorcerer

Banned
We are still light years away from photorealism, the graphics today haven't even reached image quality of PIxar movies in the 90s. There's still a long way to go when it comes to graphics. Things like image quality, skin rendering, animations, materials, cloth and hair simulation and so on still have some ways to go.

We reached quality of 90s Pixar at the beginning of this gen. Even better than that at the end.

. They need some form of RT because it's the next big evolution.

No. It's bullshit technology that is never used everywhere in the picture even in offline renders.
It may be sparingly feasible with 100x GPU power increase. But it means that memory bandwidth should increase at least 50x. Which didn't happen in the last 5 years.
I.e. RT is at least 5-10 years away.
RT is a Nvidia power game. Their GPUs are heavily underutilized in modern games. Because stupid PCMR idiots go for more resolution and more framerate which just exhaust ROPs and leaves everything else at low utilization. So NV always invents new tricks to make people buy better GPUs.
But NV has great marketing, market was already educated that RT is "good" so consoles needed it too. Good thing is that it's cheap: tiny intersection calculator for vector×tri and vectorxaabb and we're done.
That's why we will have in in next gen.

Marlenus

Why can't a console cool it, but a PC can? They can go 2.5ghz if they want, so long as they can take the heat out.

My PC doesn't have a giant case, and it doesn't get loud at all... and that's the case even tho my GTX 1070oc boosts up to 2GHz... abd it has no issues doing that.

if they are using a good cooling solution and the case isn't too small I see no issue with that

A 5700XT clocked at 2.1 GHz already uses 260W of power alone and ideally needs water-cooling to keep it cool.

Unless AMD do with RDNA2 what Nvidia did with Pascal to enable it to clock a lot lot higher than RDNA 2GHz just seems like a lot of waste heat and power for very little performance gain.

On top of that with a 256bit bus and talk of 18gbps memory the memory system will use a lot of power and it also limits it to 16GB unless there is a surprise announcement of 32GB GDDR6 but then 32GB of the top binned GDDR6 available will be expensive and power hungry.

36 CUs @ 2GHz with a 256bit bus requiring 18gbps memory just seems like a really bad design where money has been spent in all the wrong places.

54CUs (3shader engines, 2 disabled CUs per engine) @ 1.75GHz with a 384 bit bus and 24GB of 14gbps ram will give 25% more Tflops and about 15% more memory bandwidth but is unlikely to consume 20% more power. Due to the lower clocks and larger area it will also be easier to cool and suffer from fewer hot spots.

It just seems like a more sensible design.

As I have said though the big caveat is that it is entirely possible RDNA2 was designed to clock much higher and if work has gone into achieving that then it becomes more possible but I do not see any evidence for that as it is all being kept secret.

im hoping sony does not cheap out or hold back the ps4 for the sake of BC, i understand ps4 BC is a must, but lets hope the system is build for 7 years not 3 years( then pro version )

Reindeer

We reached quality of 90s Pixar at the beginning of this gen. Even better than that at the end.
In terms of image quality? No way. Yes we have surpassed the likes of Toy Story 1 in many regards, but in terms of image quality we are still some ways off. Next gen we should comfortably surpass it though

Last edited:

Reindeer

Toy Story 2 (1999) is way ahead of anything this gen in terms of image quality. Ratchet and Clank (PS4) for example in gameplay is still some way behind when compared to it.

Last edited:
I do wonder why the PS5 devkit is such a monster (bigger than XSX) and supposedly only contains a small 36CU GPU inside.:pie_thinking:

images
XSX has a larger volume than the PS5 dev kit does, and that's a retail box. Considering that MS managed to cram the One X into a smaller case that either the One S, PS4 or PS4 Pro, the fact the XSX is in such a large case tells you somwthing about how much heat it is putting out.

Reindeer

The Xbox Series X.
The fastest, most powerful Xbox ever.”

Once again the phrasing “most powerful Xbox” is been used instead of “most powerful console”. Microsoft would be shouting from the rooftops if they knew for sure they posses the most powerful machine. :pie_thinking:

Would pretty stupid of them to say "the most powerful console ever" if they don't know exactly what the competition is doing.

Last edited:
A 5700XT clocked at 2.1 GHz already uses 260W of power alone and ideally needs water-cooling to keep it cool.

Unless AMD do with RDNA2 what Nvidia did with Pascal to enable it to clock a lot lot higher than RDNA 2GHz just seems like a lot of waste heat and power for very little performance gain.

On top of that with a 256bit bus and talk of 18gbps memory the memory system will use a lot of power and it also limits it to 16GB unless there is a surprise announcement of 32GB GDDR6 but then 32GB of the top binned GDDR6 available will be expensive and power hungry.

36 CUs @ 2GHz with a 256bit bus requiring 18gbps memory just seems like a really bad design where money has been spent in all the wrong places.

54CUs (3shader engines, 2 disabled CUs per engine) @ 1.75GHz with a 384 bit bus and 24GB of 14gbps ram will give 25% more Tflops and about 15% more memory bandwidth but is unlikely to consume 20% more power. Due to the lower clocks and larger area it will also be easier to cool and suffer from fewer hot spots.

It just seems like a more sensible design.

As I have said though the big caveat is that it is entirely possible RDNA2 was designed to clock much higher and if work has gone into achieving that then it becomes more possible but I do not see any evidence for that as it is all being kept secret.
I dont think anyone looking to buy a console looks at, or cares about, how much power it uses. I think the limiting factor for console power usage should be the point at which the plastic case starts to melt :)

Would pretty stupid of them to say "the most powerful console ever" if they don't know exactly what the competition is doing.
E3 2016 and e3 2018 they said most powerful console ever created for 1x and series x before Sony announce ps4pro and ps5.

i m confident if ps5 was going with 9.2 TF plan they would be screaming every where “most powerful console ever”

most glorious thing would be dealer and colteast walk back the importance of power narrative that they have been going hard at for the past few days about series X 😂😂level of mental gymnastics will be a sight to behold

Last edited:

longdi

Banned

No. It's bullshit technology that is never used everywhere in the picture even in offline renders.
It may be sparingly feasible with 100x GPU power increase. But it means that memory bandwidth should increase at least 50x. Which didn't happen in the last 5 years.
I.e. RT is at least 5-10 years away.
RT is a Nvidia power game. Their GPUs are heavily underutilized in modern games. Because stupid PCMR idiots go for more resolution and more framerate which just exhaust ROPs and leaves everything else at low utilization. So NV always invents new tricks to make people buy better GPUs.
But NV has great marketing, market was already educated that RT is "good" so consoles needed it too. Good thing is that it's cheap: tiny intersection calculator for vector×tri and vectorxaabb and we're done.
That's why we will have in in next gen.

The starwars RT demo was pretty pretty. When i watched TROS, there was a scene which reminds me of that demo.

Iirc it ran like 15fps on my 1080ti. The next 3080ti should run it comfortably at 4k30 at least.

RT is real deal.
I have a feeling Mark Sony will add as much RT hardware as possible to the V.

henau212

Neo Member
XSX has a larger volume than the PS5 dev kit does, and that's a retail box. Considering that MS managed to cram the One X into a smaller case that either the One S, PS4 or PS4 Pro, the fact the XSX is in such a large case tells you somwthing about how much heat it is putting out.
How did you come up with that conclusion? The Devkit is as tall as the slot of the drive is wide. That thing ist huge. Looks more like 2 SeX next to each other.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member

No, PS5 devkit has quite a larger volume but it is a devkit which are traditionally bigger than the final device anyway so it doesn’t mean anything at this stage.

PS5:
3 x controllers wide
2 x controllers deep
1 x controller high (when turned on its side)

XBX:
1 x controller wide
1 x controller deep
2 x controller high

Ps5 dev kit is twice the size of ps4pro dev kit which is already bigger than xsx. I have no idea where u got that size for xsx . Xsx Dimensions are 31cmx16cmx16cm. It’s not this gigantic thing you make it out to be .

Ps5 dev kit:46cmx31cmx15cm

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
The starwars RT demo was pretty pretty. When i watched TROS, there was a scene which reminds me of that demo.

Iirc it ran like 15fps on my 1080ti. The next 3080ti should run it comfortably at 4k30 at least.

RT is real deal.
I have a feeling Mark Sony will add as much RT hardware as possible to the V.

Was it bottlenecked by shader pipeline? Memory bandwidth? Latency?
If 1. Yes you have a chance with 3080
If 2 or 3 - nope.

Reindeer

E3 2016 and e3 2018 they said most powerful console ever created for 1x and series x before Sony announce ps4pro and ps5.
E3 2016 is easy to explain since they were coming out with X a year after Pro and knew what tech was available to Sony at the time. E3 2018 I don't know, maybe they were just creating hype or thought Sony was coming out with PS5 in 2019 as was rumoured.

Regardless, it would be silly so close to launch to say you are the most powerful when that can backfire and be a PR disaster.

Except that the 5700XT is 40 CU and 2150MHz is at its maximum power. 2000MHZ will use quite a bit less power because it's not going to be quite as close to it's voltage limit.

Besides, we already know how much power a 36 CU Navi consumes at ~2000MHz.

People have flashed the 5700XT Bios to the base 5700. At around 2000MHz the 5700 draws 216W.

Let's not pretend that 216W is some thermally unmanageable monstrosity. It'll likely pull less power than a 56 CU GPU.
We can do a bit of armchair mathematics to prove it too.

36CU @ ~1700MHz = ~160W
36CU @ ~2000MHz = ~220W

56CU is 55% more CUs than 36CU.
If we assume power consumption scales linearly with larger chips then:

56CU @ 1700MHz = 160*1.55
= 248W

Thing is power doesn't necessarily scale linearly so it might actually be more than 250W for the 56CU part.

If we add in the CPU components which at ~3.2GHz will likely consume about 50W then we get something like this:

36 CU APU @ 2000MHz = ~ 270W
56 CU APU @ 1700MHZ = ~ 300W

Now Navi ships with pretty aggressive vcores so I think Sony and Microsoft might factory undervolt their chips to meet power consumption targets so end power consumption might be lower that we predict. But no matter which way you slice it the PS5 will draw less power than the XSX assuming the GitHub leaks are still representative of the final product.

And might I add. 250-300W total thermal output is not that big in the grand scheme of things.
AIB manufacturers can provide sufficiently quiet cooling for such TDPs without the explicit need for liquid cooling. And if the PS5 needs liquid, then the XSX sure as hell will need it too.

Last edited:
No, PS5 devkit has quite a larger volume but it is a devkit which are traditionally bigger than the final device anyway so it doesn’t mean anything at this stage.

PS5:
3 x controllers wide
2 x controllers deep
1 x controller high (when turned on its side)

XBX:
1 x controller wide
1 x controller deep
2 x controller high
No way it's 3 controllers wide. Maybe 2 at best.
Use the disc slot to work out the width. A slot is 12 cms wide. So by my calculations the kit is 35.5cms wide.
10cm at it's highest and 5cms at its shortest. And about 24cms deep.
So if we allow for an average height of 8cms (due to the v cut out)
So volume is 35.5 x 8 x 24 = 6.816cm2
XSX is 31 x 16 x 16 =8,000cm2.

So not that big after all.

Last edited:
No way it's 3 controllers wide. Maybe 2 at best.
Use the disc slot to work out the width. A slot is 12 cms wide. So by my calculations the kit is 35.5cms wide.
10cm at it's highest and 5cms at its shortest. And about 24cms deep.
So if we allow for an average height of 8cms (due to the v cut out)
So volume is 35.5 x 8 x 24 = 6.816cm2
XSX is 31 x 16 x 16 =8,000cm2.

So not that big after all.
Someone has used the USB port on the ps5 dev kit to do measurements. U don’t need to worry urself with that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom