• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

I think the polaris advantage is because it is being compared across nodes, while navi 1.5x is likely compared vs radeon vii 7nm, both on the same node.
I researched and 7nm seems to bring more density improvements than performance compared to previous nodes
This cements my opinion that consoles will use big GPU chips.

It's official folks, RDNA is the real deal.

There's no way they're putting a GCN GPU in a mobile SoC. "Maxwell sauce" or bust!
It appears that AMD May have hit a home run. I wonder if this is the rise of AMD?

It appears that AMD May have hit a home run. I wonder if this is the rise of AMD?
It better be RTG's "Zen" moment, before Ampere comes out...

Nvidia has already announced a Turing refresh:

Ellery

It better be RTG's "Zen" moment, before Ampere comes out...

Nvidia has already announced a Turing refresh:

Well Nvidia hasn't officially announced anything. They only teased something "SUPER" related.
The rest is rumors (for now). It is highly likely that Nvidia won't sit still and release some sort of products though.

Wow, that AMD deal with Samsung is a *huge* deal.

AMD keeps on winning.
Lisa Su is the best CEO AMD ever had.

She keeps hitting all the right boxes, one at a time.

It's also worth mentioning that Samsung has cutting edge fabs with very aggressive roadmaps (just like TSMC), so it's smart to have one more option to fabricate their chips.

There's a rumor that the PS4 7nm APU will be fabbed by Samsung.

Last edited:

Stafford

Todd Howard spoke to IGN, said neither Sony or MS are screwing up at the starting line. Someone on Reddit made a summary of it all.

Summary:

Gets early access to hardware because of industry position

Confident in direction of the new hardware from both Sony and MS

'No one is screwing up at the starting line', like they may have before

Sony's loading/streaming solution is 'tremendously' beneficial to the type of games they make

Both platform holders are being thoughtful of catering hardware to both audience and developers

I wonder why he specifically mentions Sony's loading/streaming solution and not MS. I guess he's just not yet allowed to speak those kind of details until after E3. Sony after all did share those details about loading. I just want MS to reassure us that we can expect it from them as well, could he a game changer. Especially for BGS games.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Todd Howard spoke to IGN, said neither Sony or MS are screwing up at the starting line. Someone on Reddit made a summary of it all.

Summary:

I wonder why he specifically mentions Sony's loading/streaming solution and not MS. I guess he's just not yet allowed to speak those kind of details until after E3. Sony after all did share those details about loading. I just want MS to reassure us that we can expect it from them as well, could he a game changer. Especially for BGS games.

Because although thy may both use SSD Sony will have some proprietary form that thy have invested heavily in and will be the better solution. It's obvious Sony is being the innovator in that regard given their presentation and the leaks.

Stafford

Because although thy may both use SSD Sony will have some proprietary form that thy have invested heavily in and will be the better solution. It's obvious Sony is being the innovator in that regard given their presentation and the leaks.

Well I really hope that's not the case, because as with this gen I intend to buy all the multiplats on Xbox. If PS5 ends up barely having any loading while the next Xbox copes with annoying loading times.... that's really bad, for Xbox I would say.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I think Xbox will have their SSD and it will be fast too I just think Sony's is doing something extra and it will be better just based off how hard thy pushed it during their presentation. I mean I'm just guessing in the end they could be the same.

be
Well I really hope that's not the case, because as with this gen I intend to buy all the multiplats on Xbox. If PS5 ends up barely having any loading while the next Xbox copes with annoying loading times.... that's really bad, for Xbox I would say.

Stafford

I think Xbox will have their SSD and it will be fast too I just think Sony's is doing something extra and it will be better just based off how hard thy pushed it during their presentation. I mean I'm just guessing in the end they could be the same.

be

Yep, we're gonna have to wait and see. Hopefully they can give some clarity on that this Sunday. Remains to be seen exactly what kind of details they are going to share. Loading times still are one of the biggest annoyances in console gaming, especially so in BGS games, but not only their games. If Sony ends up having significantly faster loading, I'm not sure I can justify getting all multiplats on Xbox anymore.

But time will tell, such a damn long time until we get those systems anyway.

Imtjnotu

Yep, we're gonna have to wait and see. Hopefully they can give some clarity on that this Sunday. Remains to be seen exactly what kind of details they are going to share. Loading times still are one of the biggest annoyances in console gaming, especially so in BGS games, but not only their games. If Sony ends up having significantly faster loading, I'm not sure I can justify getting all multiplats on Xbox anymore.

But time will tell, such a damn long time until we get those systems anyway.
My guess is Ms using an ssd with normal 20 second load times while Sonys solution is to keep them under ten seconds. Sony seems to have some sort of magic for these loading times and streaming in assets.

Hoping lod pop in is gone for good this gen

Mattyp

Gold Member
My guess is Ms using an ssd with normal 20 second load times while Sonys solution is to keep them under ten seconds. Sony seems to have some sort of magic for these loading times and streaming in assets.

Hoping lod pop in is gone for good this gen

If you're getting loading times of 20 seconds on a SSD I think your SSD might be toast. 20 seconds is a massive amount of time. Sony have said their system will be faster than anything consumer available, faster than my NVMe then. Cant wait to see.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony focus in these quality of life features come from the successful work with PS4.

They innovate with Share and even after MS copying it was never smooth and transparent like Sony feature.

Sony did PlayGo and installation times are heave to hell to what MS have.

That shows how Sony designed their system thinking in these features at core.

I believe the same will happen with that SSD solution the difference will be drastic even MS trying to copy but how it rely on proprietary tech they can’t copy it exactly at all.

I’m starting to believe Sony will hit the Jack Spot this time... even more than with PS4.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

If you're getting loading times of 20 seconds on a SSD I think your SSD might be toast. 20 seconds is a massive amount of time. Sony have said their system will be faster than anything consumer available, faster than my NVMe then. Cant wait to see.
Current gen systems using ssd's on open world games are getting thst currently 😑

Gamernyc78

Banned
If your talking about PS4 shareplay what Microsoft implemented just recently after all these years via mixer is not even comparable to Sony's shareplay, it's a joke in comparison and doesn't have most of the features shareplay is known for on PS4.

Sony on the feature side and software side really does some great things and some better than the competition. Not taking away anything from Microsoft and their bc implementation which was great too.

Sony shareplay feature is one of the most innovative and best features this gen imo..

Sony focus in these quality of life features come from the successful work with PS4.

They innovate with Share and even after MS copying it was never smooth and transparent like Sony feature.

Sony did PlayGo and installation times are heave to hell to what MS have.

That shows how Sony designed their system thinking in these features at core.

I believe the same will happen with that SSD solution the difference will be drastic even MS trying to copy but how it rely on proprietary tech they can’t copy it exactly at all.

I’m starting to believe Sony will hit the Jack Spot this time... even more than with PS4.
Nd

ethomaz

Banned
If your talking about PS4 shareplay what Microsoft implemented just recently after all these years via mixer is not even comparable to Sony's shareplay, it's a joke in comparison and doesn't have most of the features shareplay is known for on PS4.

Sony on the feature side and software side really does some great things and some better than the competition. Not taking away anything from Microsoft and their bc implementation which was great too.

Sony shareplay feature is one of the most innovative and best features this gen imo..

Nd
I was talking about video recorder in the Share function...

But you did remember me about Share Play that is another feature that MS couldn’t compete.

You sure?
For me it really comes down to the games. Considering that we currently have 5400RPM in the consoles now, going to NVMe speeds is quite the improvement. Saving an additional 5-8 seconds doesn't really make or break a purchase. The games do, which I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will have an abundance of.

TLZ

Banned
What if microsoft calls there next console playstation 5

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_ok:
It still won't sell.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Had the weirdest dream. I'm at E3, MS conference and Phil is talking about Scarlett. All of a sudden I get a phonecall from work and i have to leave, when I come back the conference is over and a group of fans have gathered around Phil as he's talking about the future of Xbox, its all about connectivity, we all walk towards the subway and Phil is still talking to the fans, I approach him and he shakes my hand and we do the half hug and he says im a quiet guy but he knows im a fan. I make a comment about how I finally got to touch Phil Spencer and he laughs.
I sit next to him on the bench waiting for the train, he's now wearing a baseball cap to blend in with the public. He tells us that he just bought an old obscure japanese game for 1500dollars and how amazing it is and its a very early life simulator.
I tell him I had a phonecall from work and I missed the end of the conference, and I asked him if he talked about SPECS, he said he can't talk about specs yet, "its too early". End dream.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Had the weirdest dream. I'm at E3, MS conference and Phil is talking about Scarlett. All of a sudden I get a phonecall from work and i have to leave, when I come back the conference is over and a group of fans have gathered around Phil as he's talking about the future of Xbox, its all about connectivity, we all walk towards the subway and Phil is still talking to the fans, I approach him and he shakes my hand and we do the half hug and he says im a quiet guy but he knows im a fan. I make a comment about how I finally got to touch Phil Spencer and he laughs.
I sit next to him on the bench waiting for the train, he's now wearing a baseball cap to blend in with the public. He tells us that he just bought an old obscure japanese game for 1500dollars and how amazing it is and its a very early life simulator.
I tell him I had a phonecall from work and I missed the end of the conference, and I asked him if he talked about SPECS, he said he can't talk about specs yet, "its too early". End dream.
It means you want to have sex with Phil, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom