• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

It's pretty amusing that's for sure. I'm starting to doubt the credibility of many of his Driveclub posts as well now, which seemed iffy in the first place anyway. No sense of weight, cars too grippy to ever feel traction loss, one track AI etc. None of which is true of course, as further evidenced by the numerous responses he got in disagreement of the said posts. Hell, anyone who's put some time in to the game knows these things aren't true, as a matter of fact.

I've put a shitload of time into the game. Around 800 stars out of however many tours there are now. Don't go claiming that I've barely put any time into the game just because there are aspects that I don't enjoy about it.

I guess we found the racing game equivalent of this...

P6PHrbQ.jpg

Wow much texture

so real

very impress

nib95

Banned
I've put a shitload of time into the game. Around 800 stars out of however many tours there are now. Don't go claiming that I've barely put any time into the game just because there are aspects that I don't enjoy about it.

I'm not necessarily claiming you haven't played the game, just questioning the credibility of your 'opinions', which seem inconsistent and often wrong.

It is a photograph of the ground used as a texture, how is it impressive exactly?

It's impressive because it's well sourced and detailed. Textures come in various degree's of quality, some blurry, some unrealistic, grainy, bitty etc, and that one is none of those things and is instead high quality. Lots of games are given credit for having such textures, and others criticised for not having them.

I'm not necessarily claiming you haven't played the game, just questioning the credibility of your 'opinions', which seem inconsistent and often wrong.

anyone who's put some time in to the game knows these things aren't true

You're saying that because I think they're true, that I haven't put much time into the game.

I don't see why you're putting opinions in quotes when everything about a game's physics is subjective. In sim racing people will endlessly argue over whether iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, etc have the most realistic physics. At the end of the day it's down to which one feels best to you. My opinion is only that Driveclub feels way too light and easy, and I don't see how that can be wrong when it's my experience.

Tripolygon

Banned
It is a photograph of the ground used as a texture, how is it impressive exactly?
You can't just take a photograph and plop it into a game then expect it to look good. I great deal of work is put into making that texture look right in that world. It is the same reason why we see this
and say it is impressive even though we know it (the leafs) is just 2D sprite.

nib95

Banned
You're saying that because I think they're true, that I haven't put much time into the game.

I don't see why you're putting opinions in quotes when everything about a game's physics is subjective. In sim racing people will endlessly argue over whether iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, etc have the most realistic physics. At the end of the day it's down to which one feels best to you. My opinion is only that Driveclub feels way too light and easy, and I don't see how that can be wrong when it's my experience.

That's not why I think your opinions are inconsistent on the subject….That post on the previous page (unrelated to Driveclub) is pretty telling, but lets just leave it at that.

And feeling too light is not the same as there being no sense of weight. Drive a Bentley Conti, or any of the heavier saloons in the game and then drive an Ariel Atom, BAC Mono etc and tell me you don't feel the weight difference. And about there being no loss of traction, again, try the Ariel Atom, Marussia B2, Koenigsegg One:1 and a dozen other temperamental vehicles in the game and tell me the same.

Anyway, this is a graphics discussion, lets move on.

btags

You can't just take a photograph and plop it into a game then expect it to look good. I great deal of work is put into making that texture look right in that world. It is the same reason why see this

and say it is impressive even though we know it (the leafs) is just 2D sprite.

But there is more going on in that image than just 2d assets, there is also some nice lighting work making the leaves look more realistic. The GT6 texture shot is literally just looking down at a texture.

It is impressive, compared to the hardware it is running on and what we had a generation before. If it were simple, many devs would have just as impressive texture work in all their games. We've been gawking at impressive texture work and polygons since the advent of video games.

I guess we found the racing game equivalent of this...

Wow much texture

so real

very impress

It's impressive because it's well sourced and detailed. Textures come in various degree's of quality, some blurry, some unrealistic, grainy, bitty etc, and that one is none of those things and is instead high quality. Lots of games are given credit for having such textures, and others criticised for not having them.

I am having trouble seeing why the texture is impressive, even for last gen. Surely everyone understands how texture streaming works, right? It does not even have any impressive side properties like a great normal map, secondary lighting, POM, Just looks like a photo sourced texture. In fact, you can see the how it has way too much original lighting information from the sourced photo in the diffuse channel. It looks more like a photo of grass on the ground then something affected by teh game's lighting and shadowing conditions.

jaypah

That GT shot is indeed very detailed. Forza has some nice texture work as well. Don't really understand why Turn 10 got slammed for their dev cycle.

And about there being no loss of traction, again, try the Ariel Atom, Marussia B2, Koenigsegg One:1 and a dozen other temperamental vehicles in the game and tell me the same.

Anyway, this is a graphics discussion, lets move on.

I will move on, but I'm going to respond to this last thing.

I have driven those cars, the Ariel and Koenigsegg in particular are extremely easy to handle. It's a funny coincidence actually because the last time I drove the One:1, I couldn't believe how stable it was for a 1350hp supercar. It was absolutely glued to the road, even moreso than cars with much bigger wings.

nib95

Banned
I am having trouble seeing why the texture is impressive, even for last gen. Surely everyone understands how texture streaming works, right? It does not even have any impressive side properties like a great normal map, secondary lighting, POM, Just looks like a photo sourced texture. In fact, you can see the how it has way too much original lighting information from the sourced photo in the diffuse channel. It looks more like a photo of grass on the ground then something affected by teh game's lighting and shadowing conditions.

But it is well sourced, as I said, and highly detailed. Many textures in the game are blurry and inconsistent, hell a lot of racing games have poor textures in areas, so it's nice when you get one's as detailed and accurate as that one.

btags

But it is well sourced, as I said, and highly detailed. Many textures in the game are blurry and inconsistent, hell a lot of racing games have poor textures in areas, so it's nice when you get one's as detailed and accurate as that one.

Ok, but again how is it impressive that it is detailed and accurate. I would assume any photograph could be detailed and accurate.

pixelbox

Wasn't you that said if you applied the rules from iracing to dc you would lose everytime? Now it's easy?

Anarion07

I have driven those cars, the Ariel and Koenigsegg in particular are extremely easy to handle. It's a funny coincidence actually because the last time I drove the One:1, I couldn't believe how stable it was for a 1350hp supercar. It was absolutely glued to the road, even moreso than cars with much bigger wings.

In a DC thread this would be considered a joke post.

The hell are you doing differently to me to be able to handle those cars easily? I mean, I eventually managed to somewhat tame the Atom, but the One:1 is near impossible for me. All you have to do is tap the accelerator while exiting a corner and the thing will spin like crazy.

Teach me your ways.

The hell are you doing differently to me to be able to handle those cars easily? I mean, I eventually managed to somewhat tame the Atom, but the One:1 is near impossible for me. All you have to do is tap the accelerator while exiting a corner and the thing will spin like crazy.

Teach me your ways.

Half or quarter throttle around the actual corner depending on the severity (so half for a yellow corner, quarter or less for red), then floor it once you're straight.

I'm starting to agree with others from the past few pages that we need a physics comparison thread now.

Anarion07

Teach me your ways.

Maybe all those firmware stability updates affected the One:1 too

Half or quarter throttle around the actual corner depending on the severity (so half for a yellow corner, quarter or less for red), then floor it once you're straight.

I'm starting to agree with others from the past few pages that we need a physics comparison thread now.

I do that, the same way I do it with every other car, but damn near every corner results in me spinning out with the One:1, or at least powersliding and then me struggling to gain control back. *Shrug*

I do that, the same way I do it with pretty much every other car, but damn near every corner results in me spinning out, or at least powersliding and then me struggling to gain control back. *Shrug*

It might depend on the track more than I remember it. If you're in a curve that dips down and comes back up, it's easy to keep it floored just because you're kind of "stuck" to the road. The throttle will be more of a struggle on the opposite kind though, where there's a convex bump in the road where your car becomes lighter over the crest. Those ones you'll have to be more finicky with.

Tripolygon

Banned

This is one of those things where a video would be more suitable. I suck at driving games, especially PCars.

Yiazmat

Now how many of you noticed that the GT6 Goodwood picture actually shows 4 different textures? Can you find where one ends and another begins?

IacqcWD.gif

This is one of those things where a video would be more suitable. I suck at driving games, especially PCars.

I don't really have the means to make a video right now so you'll just have to take my word for it, unfortunately.

As for pCARS though, the default controls are awful. If you're using a controller then it's exactly the same with me, it feels impossible to get the right balance of sensitivity to the point where I just gave up a while ago.

Tripolygon

Banned
That GT shot is indeed very detailed. Forza has some nice texture work as well. Don't really understand why Turn 10 got slammed for their dev cycle.
its a zero sum game.

On one hand you have people lambasting polyphony for taking too long, and another hand you have people lambasting Turn 10 for releasing games too fast.

Another gen and another case of the better looking racer being the more scrutinized game. This time it's a brand new ip to boot, what a coincidence.

I guess I understand the tactic, keep bringing up the "faults" of the rival game to keep the focus off your favorite game.

We should add a poll, straight up what's the best looking racer available. Cause people keep trying to do mental gymnastics to avoid the truth.

I don't really have the means to make a video right now so you'll just have to take my word for it, unfortunately.

As for pCARS though, the default controls are awful. If you're using a controller then it's exactly the same with me, it feels impossible to get the right balance of sensitivity to the point where I just gave up a while ago.
Can't you just use the share button on the Ps4?

DD

Another gen and another case of the better looking racer being the more scrutinized game. This time it's a brand new ip to boot, what a coincidence.

I guess I understand the tactic, keep bringing up the "faults" of the rival game to keep the focus off your favorite game.

We should add a poll, straight up what's the best looking racer available. Cause people keep trying to do mental gymnastics to avoid the truth.
Eh?

btags

its a zero sum game.

On one hand you have people lambasting polyphony for taking too long, and another hand you have people lambasting Turn 10 for releasing games too fast.

I am one of those people that thinks the middle ground is the best area. A dev cycle of 3 years is usually good enough to include some solid improvements in a game while also having a product come out in a timely manner. I wish Turn 10 and PD would go to a three year cycle. It would probably be better for fans of both series (in my opinion of course, I am sure there are those who would disagree).

Also, that DC forest shot is nice. That is something I would consider impressive.

Conduit

Banned

6/10

Those cars are far from stable.

Aceofspades

Banned

The only correct answer in the poll is Driveclub.

Majanew

Banned

Current-gen...
Best looking overall: DC
Best looking non sim: DC
Best looking sim: FM6

:p

Share button and Share-factory are one of the best things this gen including the builtin video recording an editing app on the Xbox One.

Heck yeah. I just wish PS4 could record 1080p60 videos.
I record so much footage on PS4 since it's extremely easy. GBs full of videos maxing out my HDD.

The only correct answer in the poll is Driveclub.

Without a doubt. I personally think NFS looks better than it so far, but that isn't out yet and we can't get our hands on it to look closer. Out of actually released games, Driveclub wins by measurements that don't even exist yet.

I just wish this thread was a more general one, something like "Next-gen racing technical discussion" so that we can talk about more than graphics, because there are other merits that matter for a racing game of course.

That would of course go to DC. The thing is, a number of discussions in this thread are completely devoid of actually discussing anything technically related. Saying something "looks the best" or has "the best graphics" really seems like a pretty boring topic. And then conversations just devolve into "this looks more realistic" "this is how real cars look"... in stead of... trying to define what is happening rendering wise that reflects realistic properties.

Like that texture example above from GT-whatever: a high resolution diffuse texture with tons of lighting information already contained into it is far from being anywhere near realistic, or being in any way technically impressive. In fact, it is a naive way of texturing that is better left in last gen territory, if you plug that texture into a next gen renderer like in DC, it would look like shit. Worse than a primary colour albedo. Yet people find it impressive because it is moderately high resolution? IDK.

Will this thread ever discuss things in a more specific manner?

And what does that shot took like when the camera is offset to the left and right in motion? Is that vegetation 3d?

Share button and Share-factory are one of the best things this gen including the builtin video recording an editing app on the Xbox One.

I 100% agree with you. I don't own an Xbox one but I imagine it works like that of the Ps4 which I absolutely love. Now that they're adding PNGs on the Ps4, It just takes it to a whole new level for me. Also, sorry for going out of topic.

Majanew

Banned
I 100% agree with you. I don't own an Xbox one but I imagine it works like that of the Ps4 which I absolutely love. Now that they're PNGs on the Ps4, It just takes it to a whole new level for me. Also, sorry for going out of topic.

Recording videos on XB1 is a pain in the ass. I'm not talking about saying "Xbox, Record that" to Kinect that only captures 30 secs. Trying to start up a 5 min video is annoying.

btags

Recording videos on XB1 is a pain in the ass. I'm not talking about saying "Xbox, Record that" to Kinect that only captures 30 secs. Trying to start up a 5 min video is annoying.

Just bring up the game dvr after doing what you wanted and say end 5, 3, 2, or 1 minute clip here. It really is not that hard.

Majanew

Banned
Just bring up the game dvr after doing what you wanted and say end 5, 3, 2, or 1 minute clip here. It really is not that hard.

I'm talking about starting a 5 min vid to record at a certain part in a game you want. And sometimes there's a delay when trying to bring DVR up. It pissed me off in MCC that I gave up.

btags

I'm talking about starting a 5 min vid to record at a certain part in a game you want. And sometimes there's a delay when trying to bring DVR up. It pissed me off in MCC that I gave up.

Yeah, exactly. Just do what you wanted to do and then after doing it bring up the game dvr and there is an option to end a clip of varying length. So, for example, say I wanted to show off a lap in forza, I'd complete the lap, bring up game dvr, select end 5 minute clip here, and then it will save a recorded clip of the last five minutes. You can then edit it down if necessary in upload studio. Unless you are unbelievably slow you should easily be able to capture what you wanted.

Yeah, exactly. Just do what you wanted to do and then after doing it bring up the game dvr and there is an option to end a clip of varying length. So, for example, say I wanted to show off a lap in forza, I'd complete the lap, bring up game dvr, select end 5 minute clip here, and then it will save a recorded clip of the last five minutes. Unless you are unbelievably slow you should easily be able to capture what you wanted.

I'm surprised they haven't added forwards recording into Snap. Just double-tap the Xbox button like for normal videos, but then press A or something to start recording, then again to stop.

Top Bottom