• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What games do you recommend? I'm pretty open minded in terms of genre.

Punch Quest
Dots
Madden 25
Fifa 14
Asphalt 8
Rayman Jungle Run
Sword and Sorcery
M&M Clash of Heroes (on sale for 99 cents)
Zen Pinball
Dead on Arrival 2
Reaper
Real Racing 3
Layton Brothers

As much as I love it, I just never use mine. Ever. Trying to offload it for the past week so I can pick up a 3DS and haven't had much luck.

Mendrox

Got a 25$ Coupon with my HTC One purchase. It's only for english Google Accounts (I live in germany). So if anybody needs it, I would sell it for 15$. Just PM me. Want to buy a Google Play Card for my Nexus 7. :)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Got a 25$ Coupon with my HTC One purchase. It's only for english Google Accounts (I live in germany). So if anybody needs it, I would sell it for 15$. Just PM me. Want to buy a Google Play Card for my Nexus 7. :)

By english you mean US?

Phanta

Punch Quest
Dots
Madden 25
Fifa 14
Asphalt 8
Rayman Jungle Run
Sword and Sorcery
M&M Clash of Heroes (on sale for 99 cents)
Zen Pinball
Dead on Arrival 2
Reaper
Real Racing 3
Layton Brothers

From these I've got FIFA and Reaper. Will try these other ones out. Thanks.

kwheaties

So I've been playing a ton of games on my Nexus 7 as of late, and man do some of these look really good with the Nexus' screen. The resolution, ppi, and color quality really make some of these games look fantastic. Never really thought I'd be playing a ton of games on an Android device other than some quick hits on my phone.

The graphics look really fantastic for some of this stuff though!

PS: I got some screens if stuff if people care to see! :p

Go for it!! I've only got the room, asphalt 8, and modern combat 4, so more games would be nice to see...

HawkeyeIC

My system update fails each time i try to install it...is this because I'm rooted/unlocked? Do I need to do something different?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My system update fails each time i try to install it...is this because I'm rooted/unlocked? Do I need to do something different?

You can be rooted/unlocked, but you can't be using a custom recovery, nor can you delete any pre-installed apps. I had the same problem as you so I wiped it clean and started again and now I receive updates just fine while rooted/unlocked. You will need to re-root after you get the update though.

Husker86

Link to file?
Google 'Nexus Factory Images', download the one you need (razor model name for WiFi version) and next...IMPORTANT...open the .bat file in a text editor and remove the '-w' and then save. If you don't do this, your data will be wiped.

After that run the .bat file and let it do its thing.

Mendrox

By english you mean US?

Yes I have 25$ Gift Card from my HTC One for the US Google Play Accounts. I wanted to sell it for cheaper and buy me an german card for that.

My offer is still open. :)

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I tried googling around for this but has anybody know how the performance is when watching anime with Mxplayer? Can android tablets finally HW transcode 10bit without any issues? In the market for one

jooso

Got a new Nexus 7 2013 32 gb cheap, used it for a week. I live in a quiet neighborhood so I kept the volume usually on the lowest settings. Couldn't stand the hissing and crackling speakers so had to return it.

It was such a great tablet otherwise :(

jayb

Got a new Nexus 7 2013 32 gb cheap, used it for a week. I live in a quiet neighborhood so I kept the volume usually on the lowest settings. Couldn't stand the hissing and crackling speakers so had to return it.

It was such a great tablet otherwise :(

Buy another one. That's not normal.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
How can I upload my chrome bookmarks without using the chrome sync feature? Just need to transfer my links.

Also what's the best video and music app?

DonMigs85

Planning to order the Poetic Revolution case, it looks pretty drop-resistant.
As for video playing you can't beat MX Player's performance.

Vyer

All of them do a little at very low volumes. But you have to put your head right up against the speaker to hear... but yeah, probably defective in this case.

I've had it on two different units. Sometimes you can hear it at even low-mid level volumes unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't hear a hiss at all, and I always have the volume pretty low.

Shai-Tan

Banned
my thoughts after having one for a while:

- the screen looks great and it's so bright at 100% that I can see it outside without hiding in shadows (I use 30% inside)

- the back and it's shape are a step down from the previous model in comfort. it's slippery enough that it slides down my hand in one handed use which either requires adjustment or holding it more firm which causes hand fatigue. it's also lighter but it's a wash to me because of that issue. the hand should be at rest as much as possible when palming. when holding in landscape the corners also feel a bit too pointy. I was thinking about getting some kind of slim case which solves those issues but that would make it larger which would hurt its easy pocketability so the case would need to be easily removed. I'm still trying to figure out what accessories are on the market.

- the volume strangely ramps up and is loud even on the lowest volume setting. it's annoying for notifications

- the speakers are definitely an improvement over the previous N7 but there's something tinny about it. having the speakers on the back actually helps them a bit because it seems like there is an overemphasis on high treble (or lack of mid and low) that is masked a bit by the sound coming indirectly. they should focus on making the sound better in future models.

- I don't know if it's software (probably) but I've had more crashes and hangs for 5+ seconds already than an entire year with the previous N7. it's not happening often but I can't remember the last time something crashed or hung on the original model (other than Chrome Beta).

- I've had some odd touch issues (like it losing my touch when dragging an object in a game) but it doesn't happen often and passes the multitouch test so not too much of a concern. It's been happening less as I've used it more so it's possible I was touching it more lightly than this model requires compared to the previous one.

- It's a great device in the present but when I'm using it I'm thinking the ideal function would require 4+ gigs of ram, a faster CPU, etc. Not even the S800 can offer what I want so I can settle with lesser hardware for now.

You can be rooted/unlocked, but you can't be using a custom recovery, nor can you delete any pre-installed apps. I had the same problem as you so I wiped it clean and started again and now I receive updates just fine while rooted/unlocked. You will need to re-root after you get the update though.

Do you have to backup & wipe everytime there's an update? This is starting to seem like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm using the Nexus Root Toolkit and was under the impression that after you rooted once, you wouldn't have to continue wiping the system to update.

Do you have to backup & wipe everytime there's an update? This is starting to seem like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm using the Nexus Root Toolkit and was under the impression that after you rooted once, you wouldn't have to continue wiping the system to update.

You can use the toolkit to flash back to stock recovery, then do the update and put the custom recovery back on. I did that with the last update and didn't have to wipe.

You can use the toolkit to flash back to stock recovery, then do the update and put the custom recovery back on. I did that with the last update and didn't have to wipe.

Thanks! That's much more elegant of a solution.

I'm pretty stupid and paranoid about this, so can you ocnfirm that these are the correct steps I should take?

1. backup ->Create Android backup file
2. Flash stock + unroon
3. Go to nexus and do the update
4. Restore->Restore Android backup file

Thanks! That's much more elegant of a solution.

I'm pretty stupid and paranoid about this, so can you ocnfirm that these are the correct steps I should take?

1. backup ->Create Android backup file
2. Flash stock + unroon
3. Go to nexus and do the update
4. Restore->Restore Android backup file

Two things:
-For step 2, make sure you're just flashing the stock recovery and not a full stock rom -- you can do that by going into the Advanced Utilities -> Restore Stock Recovery
-Skip step 4 -- you shouldn't need to restore your backup unless something goes wrong. Instead, go back into the Toolkit and run the root again + flash custom recovery.

That's what I did with the last update, so as long as they haven't changed anything it should work.

I've updated to JSS15R, but the root + flash cutom recovery doesn't seem to be rooting my device. I boot the SuperSU app and it says "There is no SU binary is installed and SuperSU can't install it."

Threi

notag
dont flash custom recovery. It will make OTA updates not work (but then again if you have custom recovery you can just boot to it and flash it yourself; its just more work that way)

What I suggest is to keep the supersu flashable on your nexus 7, use the nexus root toolkit to boot custom recovery and flash it there.

2Pw6Da1.gif

DonMigs85

Should I keep my charge above 50% or does it not matter in new devices? Just want to preserve the battery.

Try not to go below 30% but never leave it plugged in for too long once it hits 100%.
You can also do a full discharge once every couple months to help calibrate the sensor.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I don't, no. I'm rooted/unlocked with stock recovery and I get the updates no problem. I have to re-root after getting the update though, but that only takes 2 minutes and doesn't wipe any data.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Top Bottom