• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

GM Connected was basically BE A GM online with up to 30 human controlled teams

BE A GM is offline and you only control 1 team

Thanks for the clarification. This should be OK because I played the GM modes off line in the past I think.

Now I have to decide whether to go digital or physical.

The game definitely still feels stripped down which sucks but at least it's good enough to give me a reason to buy it (EASHL mostly)

What I've seen so far I hate - Can't really edit your skater at all, can't create jerseys at all, can't choose jerseys at all. I mean I could be wrong but if not wtf. It can't be that hard to pull off.

Also for anyone jumping back in to Ultimate Team I'd say with confidence you don't have to play the 1 star Season 1 on single player seasons. I won 19-1 and scored on almost 50% of my shots.

Everything else looks good, feels good, plays well. Just wish I had more friends on to play team play games

De_Legend

Banned
The game definitely still feels stripped down which sucks but at least it's good enough to give me a reason to buy it (EASHL mostly)

What I've seen so far I hate - Can't really edit your skater at all, can't create jerseys at all, can't choose jerseys at all. I mean I could be wrong but if not wtf. It can't be that hard to pull off.

Also for anyone jumping back in to Ultimate Team I'd say with confidence you don't have to play the 1 star Season 1 on single player seasons. I won 19-1 and scored on almost 50% of my shots.

Everything else looks good, feels good, plays well. Just wish I had more friends on to play team play games

Sounds good, pretty minor stuff is missing imo.

Sounds good, pretty minor stuff is missing imo.

Yeah I play EASHL exclusively for the most part. Or did until last year...

It will be hard to get over what's out though, even something as minor as cosmetics. The club I've been in has been together for years now. Same name, jerseys, all that. So it sucked after sitting out a year to boot it up & still not have stuff that was in like NHL 10.

We should have a PSN ID exchange for this.
Ill host a google doc or something in the OP if there is that much interest

Amazon better not fuck up my order. EA better not have fucked up this game (lol)
Welcome back

Yeah I play EASHL exclusively for the most part. Or did until last year...

It will be hard to get over what's out though, even something as minor as cosmetics. The club I've been in has been together for years now. Same name, jerseys, all that. So it sucked after sitting out a year to boot it up & still not have stuff that was in like NHL 10.
I think they got the important stuff right with stuff on the ice. Im more of a fan of the class based system now after playing the beta then I was when it was announced. Ive read some impressions over on OS that EASHL has the same input lag from the beta tho which is a gamebreaker for some people

I guess it's input lag, but it didn't bother me too much because that's how it felt in previous editions...I definitely have to make decisions more ahead of time though because there were instances where I think I could get a pass/shot off and I'd just get hit anyways.

I guess it's input lag, but it didn't bother me too much because that's how it felt in previous editions...I definitely have to make decisions more ahead of time though because there were instances where I think I could get a pass/shot off and I'd just get hit anyways.

Yea it didnt bother me too much either, but most of the gaffers I played with in the beta were pretty bothered by it so I figured I would mention that apparently its still a thing

Sarcasm?

I saw the preview and it looked super generic so I deleted it instantly
Haha, yep it's awful. It's actually worse than awful; you can barely see the pupils of the shadow player staring back at you which is creepy as fucl.

Ive read some impressions over on OS that EASHL has the same input lag from the beta tho which is a gamebreaker for some people
:( :( :(

This probably means I'll only be able to be on a team with player who play exclusively on the West Coast against West Coast opponents. Which blows. Ah well. Bettman promotes divisional play, so input lag via P2P is now a feature!!

Robcat

Banned
In 8 games I only had one game with noticeable input lag. I think it helps that I'm in Toronto and I'm usually playing with people near me.

Delryk

Yea it didnt bother me too much either, but most of the gaffers I played with in the beta were pretty bothered by it so I figured I would mention that apparently its still a thing

As far as i know.. its like old eashl input lag.. just gotta get used to it really

Can't believe there's no demo. What a stupid fucking decision. Trying the game usually causes me to cave and buy it. No way to try it first? No buy.

ryan299

I'm actually shocked that they got in as many modes and features from the past as they did. I thought it be another half ass year.

I'm going to purchase it this year

I'm guessing this, answered back at the beginning of June, hasn't changed?

Will a full featured practice mode be back?

A full featured practice mode is high on our priority list but currently not planned for NHL 16.

I thought for sure it would be one of the things they would've put back in after slashing it from 15.

When I first started, things felt slow and a bit sluggish. I went into the settings, though, and changed things from simulation to arcade, which I'm used to. The game didn't introduce its three modes very well at all, and I'm glad I noticed that.

I haven't tried Hardcore yet, but I doubt it'll be for me. My worry, though, is that online will be all simulation. The one online match I played had some lag, but it also felt slower. However, with the bits of lag, I couldn't tell for sure if it was the game or the other guy's connection. Or mine, I guess.

It's a really fun game. A bit glitchy, though. My Be a Pro, which was set at 5 minute periods glitched back to 20 minute periods, like it did last year, so I need to manually change the time setting for each match. The base setting is greyed out, as is the option to change my player's handedness, because I accidentally made him a leftie.

The games I've played have had a crazy amount of goals, though, and it feels as if the Be a Pro coach is unfair with his long shifts criticism. I mean, I sat in the penalty box for two minutes, then came out and seemingly got dinged. Either that, or the notification lasts too long.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I could've sworn in one of the EA FAQ's on the NHL site they said it was 1080/60 for both systems. I'll have to try and find it, but I'm on mobile right now.

EDIT - Just checked the entire FAQ and it appears they they never answered it... I could've sworn they did. Also wouldn't put it past them to remove the question/answer after they realized they couldn't hit that target. Guess we'll find out.

Also, here's the TV commercial

https://youtu.be/ckXUcAULF6Q

Rngade85

Neo Member
Damn.
This is supposed to be my first NHL game :|

Are you really that concerned if its not 1080 60? Unless single player is your thing the input delay in eashl is a real issue. Resolution people can't even figure out with the game already released... Not so much.

Will you really not buy it if its not 1080 60? Unless single player is your thing the input delay in eashl is a real issue. Resolution people can't even figure out with the game already released... Not so much.

I am a 60fps whore, especially in sports game but I'll most likely still buy it if it's not.
Was just wondering because isn't 60fps the standard in most sports games (FIFA, NBA etc.)?

Rngade85

Neo Member
I am a 60fps whore, especially in sports game but I'll most likely still buy it if it's not.
Was just wondering because isn't 60fps the standard in most sports games (FIFA, NBA etc.)?

Ya I understand.. It feels smooth and i'd say it feels 60 offline. If it is 30 then it still feels damn good. Like I said though the real noticeable issues are latency in eashl 6 vs 6 games. Often makes the game sluggish with a delay in your actions. Sometimes almost unnoticeable but a lot of games it's there. I have good connection, low ping, and a local network capable of game streaming xbox to windows 10 flawlessly so the issue is on their end or with how they sync players with crappier connections. Online VS. Play is much better.

Does anybody have any impressions on how player classes look after maybe a tune up or patch? I recall that the two way player for both offense and defense seemed to be way better than the others. I hope they can make it well rounded and each class good to play.

When I tried defensive defenseman it was completely pointless because I could be in front of the other team's skaters but they could easily just go past me whenever they wanted so I felt like I could never get myself involved in the attacking zone.

Ya I understand.. It feels smooth and i'd say it feels 60 offline. If it is 30 then it still feels damn good. Like I said though the real noticeable issues are latency in eashl 6 vs 6 games. Often makes the game sluggish with a delay in your actions. Sometimes almost unnoticeable but a lot of games it's there. I have good connection, low ping, and a local network capable of game streaming xbox to windows 10 flawlessly so the issue is on their end or with how they sync players with crappier connections. Online VS. Play is much better.

Thanks for the impressions.
I'm looking forward to play the game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Been playing a bit of Be A GM mode today, and it's a lot better than it was in last years game. Happy to see them improve a lot of it, it used to be one of my favourite modes.

I usually get the new NHL on the release day, but this year I've so many other games to play at the moment so I might end up getting this only at some point later this year.

Top Bottom