• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup Finals 2016 |OT| Juicy Big Dick Hot Doggin' Commies with Bad Breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

bremon

Also, I hate to give Crosby any respect after years of watching him be the biggest flopper and cry baby in the league, but I had a lot of respect for his non-reaction to Thornton's buffoonery. Crosby of 2010 would have dropped like he'd been shot and whined to all the refs. 2016 Crosby took it like a man and shrugged it off and set up the game winner. Sid finally grew up.
This is so true. A lot of maturity from their captain and I would say it resonates through the whole team, whereas the leaders on the Sharks are visibly shaken and letting their emotions get the best of them and they don't make smart decisions.

Big Joe is going to end up in the box before he knows it if he keeps trying to hack limbs and heads off, and Pavelski's flashes of anger do nothing if he can't elevate his game to get results. Someone should tell Couture that whining doesn't put points on the board.

We all knew the Shorks would choke at some point. My guess is they win one at home and Pitt wins the Cup on home ice in Game 5.

Also, I hate to give Crosby any respect after years of watching him be the biggest flopper and cry baby in the league, but I had a lot of respect for his non-reaction to Thornton's buffoonery. Crosby of 2010 would have dropped like he'd been shot and whined to all the refs. 2016 Crosby took it like a man and shrugged it off and set up the game winner. Sid finally grew up.

Yeah, it's funny when people at work still bitch that he's a crybaby when he's matured a lot. I don't know what Sullivan did or if it was Cullen or what but we have the composure mostly of what we did in 09 when Guerin would calm people down. We actually show some resiliency instead of getting completely rattled at every little thing.

Calamari41

41 > 38
If the Ducks can be branded chokers for losing in 7 brutal games to the eventual champion two years in a row, the Sharks can be accused of choking if this series plays out the same way the first two games did.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Mercury News said:
After the 2-1 overtime victory, coach Mike Sullivan praised Crosby's hard work for his faceoff success.

Sharks center Logan Couture had a different explanation.

"He cheats,'' Couture said. "He gets away with that. He's Sidney Crosby.''

Pressed for an explanation of Crosby's methods, Couture didn't back down:

"He times them, and yet they don't kick him out for some reason; probably because of who he is.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_29968756/logan-couture-accuses-sidney-crosby-cheating-faceoffs

I don't get it. Sounds salty.

May16

a team that is technically inferior
I dunno man, if the Olympics started now and included NHL players, there's like 7 Penguins making their international squads. >_>

It's tough to look at that roster, then look at the hockey they've been playing this past 2 or 3 months, and so definitively throw terms around like "technically inferior." These are two very good, finals-appearance-deserving NHL teams we're talking about.

Foggy

I don't get it. Sounds salty.

He is. You don't win faceoffs consistently if you're not cheating in some way.

I'd probably like Sid a lot more if he wasn't a Penguin. But such as it is, the Pens are supremely unlikable so he must be as well.

Edit: lol at people lauding Crosby's maturity for not retaliating against Jumbo. He held him against the boards to get under his skin. He got the exact reaction he wanted.

fallout

If the Ducks can be branded chokers for losing in 7 brutal games to the eventual champion two years in a row, the Sharks can be accused of choking if this series plays out the same way the first two games did.
"If a word is used poorly in one case where it doesn't apply, then we can keep using it poorly in others where it doesn't apply."

Eventually, "choking" is just going to be synonymous with "losing".

losing for the 10th season in a row to a team that is technically inferior is choking.

technically inferior? not only is this meaningless, but the point you're actually trying to make is wrong. the penguins are a GREAT team that has been completely dominant for several months.

Calamari41

41 > 38
"If a word is used poorly in one case where it doesn't apply, then we can keep using it poorly in others where it doesn't apply."

Eventually, "choking" is just going to be synonymous with "losing".

Note that I'm not advocating for calling either team a choker. Its wrong in both cases.

The Sharks choked against the Kings two years ago. Losing in the Finals, even getting swept, is not choking.

Alucard

Banned
You can watch the Crosby non-reaction by checking out the game highlights. Click on them on TSN here:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/nhl

You also see Couture complaining about Crosby "cheating" on face-offs by timing them, whatever that means.

Sharks are acting like babies after these two losses instead of taking accountability for not being able to generate anything.

You can watch the Crosby non-reaction by checking out the game highlights. Click on them on TSN here:

You also see Couture complaining about Crosby "cheating" on face-offs by timing them, whatever that means.

Sharks are acting like babies after these two losses instead of taking accountability for not being able to generate anything.

Video won't load for me for some reason.

Refs count down in crosby's ear piece.

Alucard

Banned
He is. You don't win faceoffs consistently if you're not cheating in some way.

I'd probably like Sid a lot more if he wasn't a Penguin. But such as it is, the Pens are supremely unlikable so he must be as well.

Edit: lol at people lauding Crosby's maturity for not retaliating against Jumbo. He held him against the boards to get under his skin. He got the exact reaction he wanted.

Crosby has absolutely shown more maturity this season, though. Any fan who's watched him play more than one game will tell you that. He's focused and dominant.

bremon

cheating face offs is taking action too early, or attempting to time your action w the refs action. It's something every good face off man ever does. It's something you do in rec league hockey. It's why people get tossed out of the circle. That an excellent center like Crosby does it is a non-issue because excellent centers on every other team do it too.

It's like saying "Murray only makes great saves because he gets in the way of the puck".

Heretic

Note that I'm not advocating for calling either team a choker. Its wrong in both cases.

The Sharks choked against the Kings two years ago. Losing in the Finals, even getting swept, is not choking.

I mentioned earlier that I would only consider it a choke if the sharks got swept...

Foggy

Crosby has absolutely shown more maturity this season, though. Any fan who's watched him play more than one game will tell you that. He's focused and dominant.

Well sure, but his "non-reaction" isn't indicative of it. If anything, it shows gamesmanship and savvy. But that's not Crosby no-selling goonery, it's him getting under Jumbo's skin and succeeding.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I mentioned earlier that I would only consider it a choke if the sharks got swept...

There's getting swept and there's getting swept. The Sharks lost both games by one goal, one of which they took to OT. I don't think they will actually get swept in the end, though.

The Sharks aren't acting like babies. Only Couture is whining and really he's only doing it to bring attention to it in hopes that refs will think twice and maybe toss him in the future. It's no different than a coach complaining to a ref in hope that the next call will go their way. I have no issue with Crosby winning faceoffs either; he does anything he can to gain an edge to win them.

There's getting swept and there's getting swept. The Sharks lost both games by one goal, one of which they took to OT. I don't think they will actually get swept in the end, though.

The Sharks have had some really bad mistakes that the Pens scored on. It's aggravating that the mistakes are so bad that you can't believe they even thought it was a good idea to do what they did. Kudos to the Pens for taking advantage, but those brainless stupid mistakes are really killing us right now. I don't think we're going to get swept, but making really bad mistakes against a good team is ultimately going to be the death of us. I don't think we're going to get swept, but I just don't think we can come back from this with how badly we're playing and how solid the Pens are playing. In many ways they're beating us at our own game and executing the things we want to do.

Alucard

Banned
The Sharks aren't acting like babies. Only Couture is whining and really he's only doing it to bring attention to it in hopes that refs will think twice and maybe toss him in the future. It's no different than a coach complaining to a ref in hope that the next call will go their way. I have no issue with Crosby winning faceoffs either; he does anything he can to gain an edge to win them.

The Sharks have had some really bad mistakes that the Pens scored on. It's aggravating that the mistakes are so bad that you can't believe they even thought it was a good idea to do what they did. Kudos to the Pens for taking advantage, but those brainless stupid mistakes are really killing us right now. I don't think we're going to get swept, but making really bad mistakes against a good team is ultimately going to be the death of us. I don't think we're going to get swept, but I just don't think we can come back from this with how badly we're playing and how solid the Pens are playing. In many ways they're beating us at our own game and executing the things we want to do.

I guess I was also referring to Pavelski slamming his stick down on the ice after a penalty call in game one, and Thornton whacking away at Malkin in game one and Crosby in game two instead of trying to generate chances for his team.

I guess I was also referring to Pavelski slamming his stick down on the ice after a penalty call in game one, and Thornton whacking away at Malkin in game one and Crosby in game two instead of trying to generate chances for his team.

I call that acting in frustration rather than acting like babies. They have a right to be frustrated. They're getting their ass kicked badly.

Calamari41

41 > 38

We in the Pacific are used to regularly playing against the Kings. The stuff you're talking about is nothing compared to a Kings tantrum, we've been completely desensitized.

"Acting like babies? Tantrums? Nobody is leaving on a stretcher, so I don't know what you're talking about."

imBask

Banned
technically inferior? not only is this meaningless, but the point you're actually trying to make is wrong. the penguins are a GREAT team that has been completely dominant for several months.

You're focusing on the wrong problem, i'm not saying Sharks are VASTLY superior to the Pens, I do think they are slightly though. The real problem is : with a couple of exceptions, Sharks have been dominant in the regular season since 2001-2002, so to me the "making it to the Stanley Cup Finals is pretty good!" doesn't apply to the Sharks, unless they win the cup and back up those 14 years of being mostly dominant, they're choking

You're focusing on the wrong problem, i'm not saying Sharks are VASTLY superior to the Pens, I do think they are slightly though. The real problem is : with a couple of exceptions, Sharks have been dominant in the regular season since 2001-2002, so to me the "making it to the Stanley Cup Finals is pretty good!" doesn't apply to the Sharks, unless they win the cup and back up those 14 years of being mostly dominant, they're choking
but what metric are you going by? Pens were the better team in the regular season

completely different teams with lots of different players. saying they're choking because of stuff that happened years ago is pretty dumb.

3N16MA

Banned
The NHL is directly talking to Crosby letting him know when the puck is going to drop. Check his helmet to find the communication equipment.

Sharks are being held down by the league to allow Crosby to reign supreme.

skYOFwB.gif

This series is far from over. The Pens held home ice. That's really all that's happened.

If the Sharks hold home ice, then we got ourselves a best of 3 series.

The Pens are definitely the faster, more skilled team at the moment. Will they keep that up in the Shark Tank, on West Coast time? Will the Sharks get a boost from some home cooking?

We'll find out Saturday and Monday. If the Pens can win one of those, then they're in the driver's seat. Right now is when you want to have that killer instinct. Crosby has been in the Sharks's shoes before, down 2-0 in a Cup Finals. His team came back to win. Gotta lean on the experience and know when to plunge that dagger in deep.

kassatsu

Banned
Will be interesting to see how the pens play with the first change.

Getting the defensive match up vs our fwd lines has been noticeable.

bremon

The NHL is directly talking to Crosby letting him know when the puck is going to drop. Check his helmet to find the communication equipment.
That's why his helmet popped off so easily. The strap is removed to make room for electronics.

This series is far from over. The Pens held home ice. That's really all that's happened.

The Pens are definitely the faster, more skilled team at the moment. Will they keep that up in the Shark Tank, on West Coast time? Will the Sharks get a boost from some home cooking?

We'll find out Saturday and Monday. If the Pens can win one of those, then they're in the driver's seat. Right now is when you want to have that killer instinct. Crosby has been in the Sharks's shoes before, down 2-0 in a Cup Finals. His team came back to win. Gotta lean on the experience and know when to plunge that dagger in deep.

I'm hoping the extra day off will help them regain their composure.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I'm just looking at the first two games as the Pens successfully defending their home ice. If they can beat the Sharks on the road, I'll deem that the Pens have an advantage.

Pretty much... I mean I'm really happy we won both games but all we did was win games at home which I would hope we would be able to do. Should be interesting if we can get a win in San Jose.

Alucard

Banned
Pretty much... I mean I'm really happy we won both games but all we did was win games at home which I would hope we would be able to do. Should be interesting if we can get a win in San Jose.

Kind of hoping my ideal prediction of "Pens in 5" comes true. They've won three Cups, but all of them have been on the road. I'd love to see them hoist it at Consol. The atmosphere would be electric.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Foggy's one of the good guys, he's going for the classic MacAttack counter-jinx. I've seen this move before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom