• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup Finals 2016 |OT| Juicy Big Dick Hot Doggin' Commies with Bad Breath

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as a salty blues fan who hasn't watched the finals, what's up with the sharks now? Is Pittsburgh that good or is San Jose just not playing with the same energy they had earlier?

Penguins are that good

Sharks can't handle their speed, and are overwhelmed by the Penguins intensity and aggression on the toe forcheck.

This could/should have been the Capitals and Ovechkin if it weren't for them being the Capitals.

Sharks would have beat the Capitals.

Also the Penguins beat the Capitals as in their played is why they won, they didn't win because the Capitals lost, they won because the Pens were the better team.

Capitals play a brand of hockey closer to the St.Louises, the Nashvilles and the Los Angeleses.

The Sharks are a great team, they are not losing this series, the Penguins are winning it.

3N16MA

Banned
This could/should have been the Capitals and Ovechkin if it weren't for them being the Capitals.

Pens were just as good over their last 41 games of the regular season and the much hotter team over the last 20-25 (hottest team in the NHL).

Penguins last 41 games - 28-10-3
Capitals last 41 games - 25-11-5

Pens were a changed team.

a916

San Jose has the better d-core yet that speed has nullified any advantage SJ had. That shaky d-core is blocking just about everything and Murray is very well insulated.

I'm surprised the Sharks went into the series without coming with a solution for it. Clearly they had a good response for Game 3, but this series is over. They haven't even played with a lead yet 4 games in.

I'm curious to see how effective (and how boring) a 1-3-1 would be against the Penguins.

San Jose has the better d-core yet that speed has nullified any advantage SJ had. That shaky d-core is blocking just about everything and Murray is very well insulated.

I'm surprised the Sharks went into the series without coming with a solution for it. Clearly they had a good response for Game 3, but this series is over. They haven't even played with a lead yet 4 games in.

I'm curious to see how effective (and how boring) a 1-3-1 would be against the Penguins.

If you could lock them in it might work, but this team is four lines deep and can strike even if they only get a few 1 or 2 chances, look at the 3rd period with Fehr tonight and look at Rust in Game 6 against the Bolts, and with a 1-3-1 you're not taking many offensive chances either.

Alucard

Banned
Dying for a cube444 hot take right now. He's been quiet since Pens took over the ECF. For some reason.

He's been calling for the Pens to drop out for a while and been wrong the whole way.

"The Pens aren't that good. Fleury will come in soon. They'll get exposed," etc.

Alucard

Banned
On one hand, it's nice to see the Sharks lose this. On the other hand, it means the Kings lost to an inferior team. Ugh!

Not really. Team sports are all about match ups.

The Pens would have done the same thing to any other team from the West.

Conn Smythe voting for the Pens right now...

1. Kessel
2. Crosby
3. Bonino
4. Murray
5. Letang

If Crosby has a big game five and the Pens win, it's all his. I'm cool with anyone winning it, really. Just want the Cup before anything else.

owlbeak

Hoo boy. Almost had a heart attack that third period until, as I predicted to my friend in game 3, Fehr scored. Dude was overdue.

Win this thing at home Thurs, Pens! Deciding if I should go up to watch outside or stay at home with my winning routine. I'll probably choose superstition over the potential party.

Gonna be a hell of a fight in game 5.

Not really. Team sports are all about match ups.

The Pens would have done the same thing to any other team from the West.

Conn Smythe voting for the Pens right now...

1. Kessel
2. Crosby
3. Bonino
4. Murray
5. Letang

If Crosby has a big game five and the Pens win, it's all his. I'm cool with anyone winning it, really. Just want the Cup before anything else.

As much as I love Sid, Kessel is the one who deserves the trophy, him or Murray.

On one hand, it's nice to see the Sharks lose this. On the other hand, it means the Kings lost to an inferior team. Ugh!

Sharks are built for western conference hockey and had all the right match-ups for them through the playoffs. Is it any coincidence the team to take them all 7 was the fastest of the three? This is to not take away from the Sharks at all. They've managed to win and beat teams who have given them playoff troubles in the past.

I just think the Pens are a much faster team than they're used to. They're making adjustments in some spots, but not in others. I honestly don't know what goes on in the third, but every third period this series they come out like gangbusters.

GRIP

I honestly don't know what goes on in the third, but every third period this series they come out like gangbusters.

Pens having the lead and deciding to sit on it is what's happening and that's pretty much been the case all playoffs long. Frustrating to watch, but hard to complain with them being one win from the cup.

Pens having the lead and deciding to sit on it is what's happening and that's pretty much been the case all playoffs long. Frustrating to watch, but hard to complain with them being one win from the cup.

I try to not remind myself this has been the norm. It's completely frustrating to watch. It makes me feel like the team is on 20-minute penalty kill.

zroid

Banned
I would love to see the faces of the Toronto media as Phil Kessel accepts the Conn Smythe Trophy, not gonna lie.
Oh, most of the Toronto media has been backpedaling for a while now. Only Simmons has stuck to his guns with that ridiculous article following the Olympic team announcement.

Imagine having media personalities with accountability, guess that's never going to happen.

If Phil wins the MVP most of these buffoons will have already written stories about how Toronto was holding him back all this time

Okay maybe not the Capitals, but the Flyers should have beat the Capitals. Then Florida could have gone on to the Finals to lose to the Ducks. The '93 expansion Cup Finals of 2016 would have been superb

Quick

Banned
They might get all apologetic, though. That's also an option. Have people been writing about Kessel in these playoffs in Toronto?

I haven't really paid attention. But there's still a general mindset from the Leafs fans I know that Kessel's lazy or isn't all that good. Basically fed from the trade fallout from last summer.

I might be one of just a few people that hasn't gone down that rabbit hole.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Okay maybe not the Capitals, but the Flyers should have beat the Capitals. Then Florida could have gone on to the Finals to lose to the Ducks. The '93 expansion Cup Finals of 2016 would have been superb

Convincing ourselves that this is what ended up happening will have no negative impact on our lives.

Long live the 2016 Stanley Cup Champion Anaheim Ducks. And best wishes for a happy retirement to Bruce Boudreau, who left the NHL to spend more time with his family after accomplishing his goal of winning a Cup.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

None of this would have happened if you didn't give Hagelin away. We trusted you!

None of this would have happened if you didn't give Hagelin away. We trusted you!

I love how much the Penguins have turned into the island of misfit players. I can't believe where this team was in the first half of the season and where they are now. Some of these trades have been completely boggling in how they worked out. Scuderi for Daley will probably be a memorable one in how much it helped the Penguins down the stretch. When I saw that we got Hags for Perron I was super happy. I knew Hags was struggling in Anaheim, but I knew what he was capable from watching so much NYR hockey.

zroid

Banned
Dying for a cube444 hot take right now. He's been quiet since Pens took over the ECF. For some reason.
I would say cube's takes are the opposite of hot. They're so damn ice cold that it's the same stuff on repeat since before Pittsburgh made the coaching change. :lol

NOTES: The Penguins have not played from behind for a span of 435:46 since a Game 4 loss to Tampa Bay in the Eastern Conference final. Pittsburgh's only two losses since came in overtime games they didn't trail until an OT goal.
man, imagine if we didnt have late game falters into overtime losses

Futureman

I really doubt we win in 5 games. I expect us to play lazy and go to 6 games

I don't see them playing lazy in a clinch game at home.

Plus there's a rumor that Lemieux found a box of Mario bun candy bars and he's going to give one to every player for an extra boost.

Mario-bar.jpg

I love how much the Penguins have turned into the island of misfit players. I can't believe where this team was in the first half of the season and where they are now. Some of these trades have been completely boggling in how they worked out. Scuderi for Daley will probably be a memorable one in how much it helped the Penguins down the stretch. When I saw that we got Hags for Perron I was super happy. I knew Hags was struggling in Anaheim, but I knew what he was capable from watching so much NYR hockey.

Scuds for Daley might be the trade of the century. I was absolutely floored when I heard that JR managed to trade Scuderi away. He was by far our worst D and had a $3.5m cap hit that couldn't be buried in the minors and went through next year. I would have traded him for a conditional 7th rounder so the fact that we got a defensemen that excelled in our system and helped unlock our speed game still blows my mind. I know Daley had a rough go of it in Chicago but he fit in perfectly here and rebuilt his game, it was a brilliant move by JR. It really sucks he can't play in the Finals.

Our D-core in general has been great and really stepped up. They're ignored or undervalued by pretty much everyone because they're collection of misfit toys (Schultz, Daley, Cole, Lovejoy) and good prospects from our system (Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot if I'm feeling generous) that aren't flashy but work well as a unit.

zroid

Banned
I have to admit, even though I loved the Scuderi-Daley trade for Pittsburgh -- Scuderi is one of the worst D-men in the league -- I never thought Daley would actually play a contributing role. He was a huge defensive liability last year in Dallas, and was never trusted in Chicago, but Sullivan found a way to make it work. Getting anything out of Scuderi, let alone a useful player is pretty remarkable.

Sharks are built for western conference hockey and had all the right match-ups for them through the playoffs. Is it any coincidence the team to take them all 7 was the fastest of the three? This is to not take away from the Sharks at all. They've managed to win and beat teams who have given them playoff troubles in the past.

I just think the Pens are a much faster team than they're used to. They're making adjustments in some spots, but not in others. I honestly don't know what goes on in the third, but every third period this series they come out like gangbusters.

Losing Hertl really impacted the Joes: Hertl was their speed and their forecheck. I agree that the Sharks needed size to get past St. Louis and LA, but they can't find an answer to the Penguins' speed. One power play goal all series isn't helping either: the aggression of the Penguins' penalty kill has been deadly.

I wonder how a faster team like Chicago or Dallas would fare against Pittsburgh.

Socreges

Banned
When Nashville was flying San Jose had no answer. But Nashville didn't have the balance of skill to sustain their attack and possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom