• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup Finals 2016 |OT| Juicy Big Dick Hot Doggin' Commies with Bad Breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
You're like MetatronM except Metatron doesn't share his meaningless factoids in pictures

I look forward to the celebratory photoshops, Alucard. I missed that season since I lived abroad and feel like I never truly appreciated why people hated you so. 😃

When they hate you, you become even more what they want to hate. A lot of the time I'm just playing up the character like most of us here. I actually dislike cheesy images like the one I posted.

Tonight's the night. It could be pretty special. Let's go Pens.

Solo

Finally, the Stanley Cup playoffs end tonight and we can get onto more important things like the draft, the Stamcock sweepstakes, and October hockey.

Alucard

Banned
Finally, the Stanley Cup playoffs end tonight and we can get onto more important things like the draft, the Stamcock sweepstakes, and October hockey.

Euro 2016 starts at 3pm tomorrow too. Pens winning tonight would be perfect in terms of my own sports watching.

owlbeak

So nervous for tonight. Let's go Pens! Really need this to be over so I can stop watching nervously every game and move on with my summer! :)

Alucard

Banned
If we could win so my imagination could stop concocting nausea-inducing scenarios where we lose the series, that'd be neat.

Amen. Luckily, I don't have as sick a feeling as I did with the Bylsma playoff years post-2009. These Penguins are truly different, and I think the Sharks are limp and ready to roll over. I could be wrong, but I could also be so, so right and we see a 5-0 Pens blowout tonight to close things out. I'm hoping so. It likely won't be easy, though.

Futureman

I'm watching outside Consol with some friends tonight. It's gonna be a zoo. Gotta get that first goal!

I 3D printed a Stanley Cup at work but my website just expired so I can't link an image. What's a good free image site?

Alucard

Banned
I'm watching outside Consol with some friends tonight. It's gonna be a zoo. Gotta get that first goal!

I 3D printed a Stanley Cup at work but my website just expired so I can't link an image. What's a good free image site?

The first goal is going to be huge. The Sharks haven't had it all series long. I don't want to see them start getting it now and seeing how the Pens play from behind.

imgur.com is pretty quick and easy for image hosting.

owlbeak

First goal tonight is more important than any other game this series, I think. If the Pens can get that first goal, it will trash all the hope the Sharks had for turning this game around and playing their game. They think they can turn it around now, with their back to the wall, and if the Pens can score first, get the crowd into it, it'll kill them. I hope they can do it!

Futureman

Raise it!

T1Bt84V.jpg

I'm printing 4 more black and gold ones right now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You're like MetatronM except Metatron doesn't share his meaningless factoids in pictures

I look forward to the celebratory photoshops, Alucard. I missed that season since I lived abroad and feel like I never truly appreciated why people hated you so. 😃

I also usually preface it by giving fair warning that a meaningless fact is coming. :D

Alucard

Banned
https://twitter.com/JBernierJDM/status/740880195930980353

This was pretty much a given, it's just a matter of which place? 2nd, 3rd?

We're getting way too excited with all this parade planning already. Haha. Still a long 60 minutes to go. I hope the Sharks are just too stunned to show up fully, but they're professionals, so they probably won't. Still...that first goal is going to be huge. Hope the Pens notch it quickly and keep pouring it on after that.

Alucard

Banned
Really refreshing/interesting article.

"I Was Wrong; Penguins About to Change NHL."

http://www.pittsburghpostgame.com/speed-lack-physicality-can-win-cup/

With just a game or two left in the hockey season, the time for analysis and breakdowns have passed. A moment of reflection seems appropriate. Many of you will love this, but I must admit, I was wrong, the Pittsburgh Penguins are about to change the NHL.

A fast team without physicality can indeed win the Stanley Cup.
That is a line I wouldn’t dare write, until today. It goes against everything I’ve learned in hockey, everything I know to be true and everything that many around hockey knew to be true.

Tampa Bay thought they had things figured out after their success in 2004. The team instituted a fast, skating scheme in their minor league affiliates because they wanted an aggressive, forecheck system, and thought they were changing the NHL. They almost did, but were unable to sustain their success, for various reasons, including increasingly lax officiating and the newly instituted NHL salary cap.

Dan Bylsma and the Penguins thought they, too, had things figured out after their Stanley Cup win in 2009. The Penguins cast aside grinding role players and slow defensemen who helped them win the Stanley Cup, in exchange for a more mobile, skating defense.

It’s been 7 years and a complete reboot for the organization to recover.

This time, the Penguins success is according to plan. And replicable. Stars who play both ends of the ice. Role players. Leaders. Mobile, puck moving defensemen who are also able to defend.

The Penguins without much physicality still win puck battles, still keep a clean crease and manage to protect themselves via puck possession. In that sense, they are effectively physical without being traditionally physical. They don’t wear teams down by hitting them, the Penguins wear teams down who try to keep up with them.

I predicted the Penguins would win the Eastern Conference. I also predicted they would lose to the heavy, playoff tested L.A. Kings because the big, heavy, grinding, physical Kings, who would score just enough to win. Even in the Western Conference playoffs, the Kings fell to the faster, more aggressive team; the San Jose Sharks.

For a team to win in the playoffs, it must have a few rugged warriors who are able to play on the bad ice against angry opponents and thrive. Or so most hockey people have thought. Or so I thought.

Yet, here stands the Pittsburgh Penguins, which have been outhit, sometimes drastically, one win away from the Stanley Cup.

It’s tough to say, “I was wrong”. Especially since I encountered so many incorrect arguments and personal attacks for trying to explain hockey culture, which was true…until now. It is tough to admit that it is indeed possible to win without some heavy shoulders or snarl.

Now, it isn’t a far cry to wonder how fast the Penguins would have run through the Capitals, or if they would have been pushed to seven games by the Lightning if the Penguins had someone to run opposing defenders. Or if they had someone to reciprocate the beating they took.

I still think the Penguins could use a Tom Wilson, who skates well, kills penalties and the kills the health of opposing teams. A player like Ryan Callahan, who skates well, scores and impacts games with a physical pop. Those players did more to almost derail the Penguins Stanley Cup run than any talented player.

Ian Cole’s and Brian Dumoulin’s transition to add strength and tough defensive skills to their game have helped more than most fans realize. Dumoulin, especially, took it upon himself to push back against net crashing teams in March. Until Dumoulin stepped forward, the Penguins were getting squashed by long goals through screens and deflections by unmoved players in front of the net.

Dumoulin began working on his technique. He began getting between his goaltender and burly forwards. Then he improved his leverage and began pushing those players away from the net.

And here stands the Penguins, one win away.

These Penguins aren’t ordinary. They are changing the NHL. The Penguins, with shot suppression (read: shot blocking), extreme puck possession, and shot attempts are an advanced stats dream come true.

The Penguins speed allows them to play a more aggressive forecheck style, without worrying about yielding odd-man breaks.

It’s all according to plan, which other teams will be able to copy. Though having Sidney Patrick Crosby does help a great deal.

The Penguins also possess something which doesn’t show up on paper and the reason I picked them to win the Eastern Conference: Heart. Miles and miles of heart (See Gene Hackman in The Replacements).

This summer, General Managers around the league will be minimizing defenders like Roman Polak for skating D-men like Trevor Daley. Forwards with giant Corsi scores will get giant paychecks while forwards with giant hands will get less.

Speed will also make the trap more difficult to maintain, as players are able to skate through quickly, and the players trapping them are smaller.

That is the upside of the Penguins changing the NHL; defensive schemes will also have to change.

The downside is that I still have humble pie left to eat.

It’s been a wild ride. For that, I’ll have a second helping.

We're getting way too excited with all this parade planning already. Haha. Still a long 60 minutes to go. I hope the Sharks are just too stunned to show up fully, but they're professionals, so they probably won't. Still...that first goal is going to be huge. Hope the Pens notch it quickly and keep pouring it on after that.

I don't think we have a sure fire win and I've been cautious this whole series. There's some pens fans on reddit who think we have it in the bag, but no way. I refuse to believe that DeBeur goes FIVE games without realizing the adjustments he needs to make.

The Blackhawks won all their recent cups because of Brandon Bollig, even when he wasn't on the team

That article is so fucking lame lol

Socreges

Banned
Gotta get that first goal!

The first goal is going to be huge. The Sharks haven't had it all series long. I don't want to see them start getting it now and seeing how the Pens play from behind.

First goal tonight is more important than any other game this series, I think. If the Pens can get that first goal, it will trash all the hope the Sharks had for turning this game around and playing their game. They think they can turn it around now, with their back to the wall, and if the Pens can score first, get the crowd into it, it'll kill them. I hope they can do it!
First team to score tonight will lose.

Big heavy teams like Boston and LA won the Cup in 2011, 2012, and 2014.

Chicago used their speed and skill game to win three Cups before the Penguins got to sniff a second one.

I'd also argue that the 2014 LA team was more skilled than physical; but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Either way I can't watch the game tonight because I'll be on set
anyone know where kap ever disappear to?
so unless the Sharks show up and actually get a lead I'm going to have to miss the celebrations. Its been a fun season though

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd also argue that the 2014 LA team was more skilled than physical; but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Either way I can't watch the game tonight because I'll be on set
anyone know where kap ever disappear to?
so unless the Sharks show up and actually get a lead I'm going to have to miss the celebrations. Its been a fun season though

The 2014 Kings were skilled, but their defining trait was still being big and physical. Even then, they only won that series by a thread against the smaller faster team, despite it being a 4-1 series in the end. 3 of those 4 went to OT, two in 2OT, and even the league later admitted that one of those OTs should never have even happened in the first place.

Futureman

93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh is saying the outdoor viewing area at Consol is already pretty much filled up. Not sure what I'm going to do to watch.

My other friends want to go to Carson City Salon which will probably reach max capacity in an hour.

Socreges

Banned
The 2014 Kings were skilled, but their defining trait was still being big and physical. Even then, they only won that series by a thread against the smaller faster team, despite it being a 4-1 series in the end. 3 of those 4 went to OT, two in 2OT,
The Kings were handily the better team in that series.

and even the league later admitted that one of those OTs should never have even happened in the first place.
Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom