• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NintendoLand - Review Thread

Amir0x

Banned
As with Wii sports, the score or rating of this game is meaningless. I dont even know why reviewers even bother. If a game is designed to be fun, and is fun, then its already a 10 in most people's eyes.

About as shallow an opinion as the actual Wii Sports ;P

What this says is "I don't know why people bother critcizing a product they may or may not be paying their hard earned cash for!"

Because obviously it may not be fun because of the problems people have with it, and they may find it necessary to critique it because they paid for it. And this is a discussion forum. I find it rather sad that you think any game should be above criticism, we don't live in a rainbow and unicorn world and these companies don't care a lick about you. You are using your $$ to buy a product you have expectations for.

Wii Sports sold people on the Wii. Will this sell people on the Wii U?

I guess time will tell, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

AntMurda

But I think it's fair to say that if someone thinks Wii Sports is shallow, there is real merit in the argument. The same, I assume, remains true of Nintendoland, the same as it always is for every mini-game compilation. There's a reason they're "mini-games" and not "major-games."

That is major semantics you are treading on. As the great philosopher Nietzsche touched up, human beings are limited by language, and often we use one word to marginalize things. Nintendo Land is accurately depicted as a variety game, as it is composed of several games. You can label them mini-game, but there is a huge difference between Metroid Blast and a Mario Party mini-game or Wii Boxing. You have to take them for what they are, rather than force similarities upon them.

There is more gameplay in Metroid Blast (a mini-game) than there is in the entirety of Heavy Rain. Which falls into the genre you just created, what was it "major game"? There is more gameplay in Pikmin's Adventure than there is in any Tetris game.. ever. Is Tetris a mini-game or a major game?

Nintendo Land has some games which are ton of levels and features. It is unlike any "mini-game collection" I have ever played. The problem some may have is that although there are 12 games, since some are multi only, and the single player games are rather simple, you may only really like 4 or 5. Maybe less. Maybe more. It will be a subjective experience to everyone of course.

For the record, I was not a fan of Wii Sports at all. And i thought it was extremely shallow and of poor production value. Not because of the gameplay particularly, but because there were no options, no real single player mode, no leader boards. Nothing but a forgettable drunken multiplayer romp. Nintendo Land is a much different experience for me.

DrLazy

Sometimes a checklist exists for a reason. Multiplayer focused games unarguably are superior with an online mode, the same as they are unarguably superior with an offline mode. Sometimes going through the content a game has and recognizing it's inexcusably tiny is righteous, because it speaks to a products value (Note: not all the time. The good reviewer understands when something does not apply. The debate would be if Wii Sports applies here.. I submit it does, others would obviously not. I thought JOURNEY on PS3 would not be worth the $15 because of its shortness, and I was completely wrong. But that was specifically because of the value they added with the necessity to get the "full experience" by playing the game in one sit through with an online partner).

Now, sure, bowling is what bowling is... but even that can have stuff. Maybe special outfits to unlock the better you do. Maybe real time leagues with characters that play into some rivalry, fleshing out the motivation to move up. Maybe different types of character strengths, so it's not all just one size fits all. I'm just throwing stuff out there, some if not all might be negative to you. But I got a bowling game for free on my cellphone, and it has about as much content as Wii Bowling has. So there has to be some accountability for what you're getting.

The same goes for everything. Now, as always, this is all debatable. I'm not listing my opinion as fact, as some are want to believe. But I do absolutely think, and Nintendo has seemingly arrived at the same conclusion, that what they included in Wii Sports was kind of depthless. They mutilated the sport of baseball (outfielding, for example, gone. Baserunning crippled.) Mutilated the sport of tennis with no control of movement. Golf is not even worth mentioning for how little content it includes versus legitimate Golf titles. Boxing was not up to the task due to Wiimote's limited tech.

But I think it's fair to say that if someone thinks Wii Sports is shallow, there is real merit in the argument. The same, I assume, remains true of Nintendoland, the same as it always is for every mini-game compilation. There's a reason they're "mini-games" and not "major-games."

I grant you that Wii Sports does not have the features of a full on Tennis or Golf game. But it goes back to the overall "experience." For the vast majority of the world, this was their first experience with Motion Controls. That was just overlooked as "yeah it works."

Are games that innovate doomed to need 1000 levels? Is this mentality why innovative games can't be $60 anymore?

Reviews focus too much on content. It ends up creating games like RE6

Amir0x

Banned
That is major semantics you are treading on. As the great philosopher Nietzsche touched up, human beings are limited by language, and often we use one word to marginalize things. Nintendo Land is accurately depicted as a variety game, as it is composed of several games. You can label them mini-game, but there is a huge difference between Metroid Blast and a Mario Party mini-game or Wii Boxing. You have to take them for what they are, rather than force similarities upon them.

There is more gameplay in Metroid Blast (a mini-game) than there is in the entirety of Heavy Rain. Which falls into the genre you just created, what was it "major game"? There is more gameplay in Pikmin's Adventure than there is in any Tetris game.. ever. Is Tetris a mini-game or a major game?

Nintendo Land has some games which are ton of levels and features. It is unlike any "mini-game collection" I have ever played. The problem some may have is that although there are 12 games, since some are multi only, and the single player games are rather simple, you may only really like 4 or 5. Maybe less. Maybe more. It will be a subjective experience to everyone of course.

I really don't think it's semantics to point out why mini-games go in mini-game collections, and proper full products get made into proper full products. These are almost always content-deprived/shallow games that are easy to get into, short of much to do (or it's very repetitive when it does try to have more to do) and usually things that 99% of people on Earth would not pay for were they full products. Adding 50 levels on a product that has the sum total gameplay variety of a shit on the toilet is not exactly substantive variety (that said, I'm just going off of something like Wii Sports and also applying my knowledge of every other mini-game collection in history to this point; it's why I'm skeptical Nintendoland will suddenly be the first and only mini-game collection to not be shallow). That's why they get relegated to these sorts of tech demo products at launches, more often than not.

Nintendoland is made to simply be an outlet to perform 'circus tricks' that show people how the WiiU pad and wiimotes can be used together to form unique gameplay experiences. As I said, shallow games may be completely fun for people. I don't know why people want to run away from the term. But there's little doubt that if you compare the depth of any mini-game to the depth of almost any full game, there's no comparison. If you look at something like Tetris DS (putting aside my disdain for unlimited spin for a moment), it is packed with modes and content and challenges that are as divergent from each other as can be. Tetris is an example of a simple game that is infinitely complex to master.

If you're trying to say Pikmin Adventure is equal to this type of depth I'll have to take your word for it. But I think it's safe to say at the moment that if anyone is skeptical about what a mini-game collection will bring to the table, they have very real reason to be so. Historically they have always, without exception, been terrible. They just make me desire buying full products.

DrLazy said:
I grant you that Wii Sports does not have the features of a full on Tennis or Golf game. But it goes back to the overall "experience." For the vast majority of the world, this was their first experience with Motion Controls. That was just overlooked as "yeah it works."

Are games that innovate doomed to need 1000 levels? Is this mentality why innovative games can't be $60 anymore?

Innovation does not excuse lapses elsewhere (and Wii Sports was not innovative in the traditional sense, though; there were motion sports games in the past. What it did was work on the kinks and make it palatable to the mainstream, which is of course its own sort of innovation. But I think they should be weighted differently).

An innovative game should include the type of deep experiences that one can find elsewhere, or it should not: but at least if it does not, people should admit it does not and just like it for what it is. Even Nintendo is past the point of pretending Wii Sports didn't need some depth.

Wii Sports wasn't a great game, but it was infinitely replayable when you had company and/or just wanted something light and fun to play.

This looks like it will be the same and I am super excited as a result.

Yup, this ^^

I still play the Bowling from Wii Sports all these years later.

Still not sure if I'm getting this or NSMB U though. This should be great for having friends and family around though.

The reviews for ZombiU are what I'm waiting for though, I haven't been hyped this much for a game for years. November 30th and my ZombiU bundle can't come soon enough!!!

DrLazy

An innovative game should include the type of deep experiences that one can find elsewhere, or it should not: but at least if it does not, people should admit it does not and just like it for what it is. Even Nintendo is past the point of pretending Wii Sports didn't need some depth.
Butt Wii Sports had a different kind of depth that was not acknowledged by the reviews -- it was a game that didn't get old because of the simple, intuitive gameplay. It was never about how many outfits or environments you could unlock.

Too many reviews deduct points for what a game "lacks." I mean can a FPS even it get released without a multilayer mode? A game so overwhelmingly popular and loved like Wii Sports does not deserve a metacritic rating of 73. The game ignited the Wii phenomenon that lasted nearly 4 years. Critics completely missed the boat because it was outside their comfort zone on what a traditional console game should be.

Any bright ideas how I can sell my packed in copy of Nintendo Land that I'll be getting with my Wii U console?

I don't want to go via CL or Ebay. Something more like taking it to a retailer who'd accept it for in-store credit. I'm getting my system at Best Buy but I doubt they do instore returns without a receipt.

I can't wait to finally pick up my Deluxe Edition (even though my Sunday is going to be slammed and will have to wait til Monday to play it). My wife and I loved it at the Wii U Experience and can't wait to play it with family and friends. I think Nintendo did a great job with creating a title that will have longevity. I don't think it can be compared to a GTA or other AAA titles because that's not the kind of game it was designed to be. I view it more like a Scrabble or Taboo, the type of party game that you come back to from time to time. I understand people may disagree but I can't wait to play these with family and friends for months to come.

Amir0x

Banned
Butt Wii Sports had a different kind of depth that was not acknowledged by the reviews -- it was a game that didn't get old because of the simple, intuitive gameplay. It was never about how many outfits or environments you could unlock.

I think though this is just missing the forest for the trees. Why couldn't Nintendo put more effort into making a game content-packed? The Wii went on to sell a trillion copies. It would have added much to the longevity. Why didn't they create gameplay that didn't neuter much of the appeal of these sports?

Yes, it was "simple" and "intuitive" (to a degree; boxing and golf needed Motion+), but it also was, for many people, missing the punch of games that actually focused on the sports and made it challenging and full of depth.

Yes, it was a different type of product, and a fun one for many people. But, it was shallow. It went only kiddie pool deep. There is nothing wrong with that IF you end up enjoying it. I cannot enjoy those types of games, obviously, but my word is hardly the word of GOD.

Too many reviews deduct points for what a game "lacks." I mean can a FPS even it get released without a multilayer mode? A game so overwhelmingly popular and loved like Wii Sports does not deserve a metacritic rating of 73. The game ignited the Wii phenomenon that lasted nearly 4 years. Critics completely missed the boat because it was outside their comfort zone on what a traditional console game should be.

If a FPS has a multiplayer component that is not online, I'd say yes it's fair to deduct it. That's just an inexcusable oversight in this day and age. Competitors have shown the type of value this mode adds.

But you're right FPS doesn't NEED multiplayer. Bioshock was widely lauded by pretty much every reviewer and it did not have multiplayer. The sequel had a multiplayer mode that was accepted pretty tepidly by most people (although I enjoyed it enough to get the top rank).

Popularity does not equal quality, so metacritic or the # of people buying something is not really a good pivot for discussion. It's also possible to acknowledge Wii Sports importance and still think said impact was net negative with what it said about games, as I do. It was massively important as a mark for videogames and Wii itself.

Zaph

I now really want a WiiU. Not sure if that's because of how surprisingly well NintendoLand is being received, or because I'm just really desperate for a new console...

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I think getting real enjoyment out of this game will depend on having some willing friends to play with, otherwise it will just be sorta neat to play around with. On it's own, Luigi's Mansion looks great but I'll get 0 enjoyment out of it because I'm not a place in my life where people come over to jam on games.

Amir0x

Banned
i wish Nintendo packed in some friends along with NintendoLand

Family is a good substitute for friends! My friends are not interested in these types of games, but occasionally I can trick one of my family members into trying some Nintendo multiplayer games (before they get bored in 3 hours).

My family played Pikmin 2 multiplayer for more hours than any other game I know... they don't play games much (unless it's point-and-click adventure ones or the puzzle games you can get from BIG FISH), but for some reason this clicked so much.

ozfunghi

My family played Pikmin 2 multiplayer for more hours than any other game I know... they don't play games much (unless it's point-and-click adventure ones or the puzzle games you can get from BIG FISH), but for some reason this clicked so much.

For some reason... that would probably be because it is fun yet competitive and overall great. I truly hope Nintendo ends up adding online multiplayer to Pikmin 3.

MDX

About as shallow an opinion as the actual Wii Sports ;P

What this says is "I don't know why people bother critcizing a product they may or may not be paying their hard earned cash for!"

Because obviously it may not be fun because of the problems people have with it, and they may find it necessary to critique it because they paid for it. And this is a discussion forum. I find it rather sad that you think any game should be above criticism, we don't live in a rainbow and unicorn world and these companies don't care a lick about you. You are using your $$ to buy a product you have expectations for.

What do you expect people who like Party games for Nintendoland to deliver?
Fun? And if thats what it delivers? What should it be scored?

"The attractions are ridiculously fun and offer plenty of variety,"

"The best thing to say about Nintendo Land is that it's fun. And it's fun in ways you've probably not experienced."

"As a collection of minigames, Nintendo Land hits the spot"

Yes, thats what Nintendoland is, a collection of minigames, and thats what it seems to be providing, fun. So why even bother giving it "score" that is meaningless to the abstract concept of FUN, which happens to be the most important fundament to what games are meant to offer its players.

If you like party games, and somebody says Nintendoland is great fun as a party game, you need to read reviews to find reasons not to buy it? Thats like saying, you like to watch basketball, but your not going to buy a ticket because your waiting for the reviews to come in.

Reviewers choose the games they want to review. Im not saying Nintendoland should not be reviewed, Im saying many review companies shouldnt even bother. And if they decided to review the game, they should inform the reader in what context and standards they are reviewing the game in.

They shouldn't, for example, hold the same standards in reviewing a low budget game intended for children, to a high budget game intended for adults. Or puzzle games to racing games, or an educational game with a MMORPG. If a review company does not have the wherewithal or the staff to make these types of distinctions, then they shouldn't bother doing the review. They should specialize in genres. Because what tends to happen, they can claim a game to be great fun, but give it a low score because it happens to be a party game, or educational game, or intended for younger audiences, etc. Its hard to justify giving a game like Nintendoland a 10, even though it might be as fun, or more fun than a game as large as GTA5, simply because the latter is larger in scope and production value.

So what Im saying is, for gamers, who like to play multiplayer/party games with their families or friends, Nintendoland might be considered a 10 in comparison to other multiplayer/party games. Because it delivers what it promises, thats a fun time. But for people who like military simulation FPSs, it will never be rated so high.

The whole concept of giving a number or letter score to a GAME is futile anyway. Its either fun, or not fun for various reasons. Better to use a value system. How much the reviewer thinks the game is worth. Is the price of admission in line with what it offers the player. MS. Pacman, Tetris, AngryBirds, might be great games, classic titles, provide hours of fun, but are they worth paying $60 for?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Official Nintendo Magazine - 90/100

ONM said:
Nintendo might have begun to embrace the online world, but this is a clarion call for local multiplayer. Matching experimentation with (almost) consistently brilliant gameplay, this is as much a marker of what's to come as it is an excellent launch game.

Highest rated WiiU game for them so far (they have yet to review ZombiU).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Family is a good substitute for friends! My friends are not interested in these types of games, but occasionally I can trick one of my family members into trying some Nintendo multiplayer games (before they get bored in 3 hours).

haha yeah, I'll end up playing with my sister and her bloody boyfriend, noone of my friends is interested in this kind of games. They're just FIFA FIFA FIFA

dad will, as usual, pass by while we're playing, give us a disappointed look as to say "bloody grown-ups playing toys, tch" and go away

as for the game itself, it looks a billionth time more appealing than Wii Sports. Glorious HD, three times the games and great variety in styles and gameplay. I never played WS that much but I'm sure I will at the very least try this one out

Skiesofwonder

Computer and Video Games - 8.0/10.0

CVG said:
While there's no doubt that the Wii U can do hide and seek games well - the console probably owes its very existence to the search for the ideal Pac-Man Vs machine, actually - none of the other multiplayer games really grabbed us as being games that we'd want to keep playing years or even months down the line.

But then, Wii Sports was also a total one-trick pony, and that didn't stop developers coming up with a wide range of clever uses for the remote, so perhaps we shouldn't worry about the wider implications for the Wii U GamePad, and instead appreciate it for what it is - three excellent and very different versions of the best multiplayer game ever conceived, with a whole boatload of extras included on the disc to boot. If you've got a friend in this world, you've got room on your shelf for NintendoLand.

Ratings for individual attractions:

Luigi's Ghost Mansion - 9.0
Animal Crossing: Sweet Day - 8.5
Mario Chase - 8.5
Donkey Kong Crash Course - 8.5
Takamuru's Ninja Castle - 8.0
Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest - 7.5
Metroid Blast - 7.0
Octopus Dance - 7.0
Balloon Race Breeze - 7.0
Yoshi's Fruit Cart - 6.0
Captain Falcon's Twister Race - 5.5
Pikmin Adventure - 5.0

It's interesting to see how people's reactions to these attractions differ so much. Though it seems the three hide-and-seek attractions are the considered some of the best across the board.

zroid

Banned
I concur that Luigi's Ghost Mansion is bloody great. I won't forgive Nintendo for making it look so shitty at their E3 presser. :p

Skiesofwonder

GamingExaminer - 8.5/10

Gaming Examiner said:
Nintendo Land can be played alone but it’s really a terrific party game to play with your friends. Nintendo Land features quick to jump into games that allow you to have fun and start playing right away. There are even game-modes that randomly assign attractions for a set period of time to allow you to keep playing without having to choose or jump around. Though the cartoonish nature and childish themes may seem like Nintendo Land is only for a younger audience, the competitive events can be a lot of fun for friends to compete at a more social, friendlier level.

GameReactor - 8/10

Game Reactor said:
Sure, there will be those who say: Nintendo Land is just a collection of mini games. Yet we'd respond: it's a collection of well made mini-games that everyone will enjoy, and especially those that play with friends.

Nintendo Land allows a different, new perspective on video games and leaves us with an extremely pleasant feeling in our thumbs.

They say Pikimin is one of the best as well.

JoeFu

Banned
Really looking forward to playing this. The E3 showing was terrible, but all the stuff that came after really helped this game out. I'm actually kinda hyped.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The idea of having to unlock stages and knick-knacks within Nintendo Land feels slightly dated concept and is ultimately useless.

Tell me you'd prefer to pay DLC to unlock that stuff, I fucking dare you.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Still not a fan of 3 of the attractions, especially Ghost Mansion, not allowing a single player to try them by filling in with bots. It's just a messy segregation of content.

Otherwise looking forward to this.

What some are missing by sniffing at this for being a minigame collection, is that most of these games are A LOT bigger and more in-depth than Wii Play, and most of (though not all) of the events in Wii Sports Resort. These appear more on par with golden era arcade cab games in terms of number of stages, depth, etc. Add in the fact that there's a point to replaying (for coins), stamps, Miiverse leaderboards.

This is less like a dry collection of minigames and more like a virtual walk-in arcade that just happens to be Nintendo themed.

It's funny how much presentation and framework changes things. Over in Mario land, everybody is taking the mere fact that NSMB U has a Mario World style map as a huge gamechanger.

Margalis

Banned
Wii Sports Tennis is better than Top Spin 4. And the funny thing is, when you strip out all the different shirts and shorts and stadiums and "content" from Top Spin 4 and look at the actual gameplay it's just a timing mini-game and not even a good one.

I played the hell out of Wii Sports Tennis and Golf multiplayer. Both take a lot of skill and in a weird way actually capture what the sports are about pretty well.

Edit:

I think though this is just missing the forest for the trees. Why couldn't Nintendo put more effort into making a game content-packed? The Wii went on to sell a trillion copies. It would have added much to the longevity. Why didn't they create gameplay that didn't neuter much of the appeal of these sports?

Yes, it was "simple" and "intuitive" (to a degree; boxing and golf needed Motion+), but it also was, for many people, missing the punch of games that actually focused on the sports and made it challenging and full of depth.

A lot of "simulation" style sports games don't do a good job of capturing the sport, they capture the essence of sports consumerism, where most of the "content" is garbage like differently colored T-shirts. I think there's a pretty wide divide between sports games that are about sports fandom and sports games that are about a sport, similar to how many racing games are not actually about racing games but about car fetishism.

Katzii

I enjoyed this when I tried it at Eurogamer, but not having people to play it with, I have no reason to spend the extra money on it.

Hiltz

So are Metroid Blast and Zelda: Battle Quest the only games that require MotionPlus ? I only have 1 peripheral attachment.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
For a lot of people:

eatcrow.jpg

I always thought it looked like a great game.

For just you:
Poo-on-plate.jpg

Fuck the Zelda imitations, I want the real thing.

P.S. I only trust Yahtzee's reviews.

Tell me you'd prefer to pay DLC to unlock that stuff, I fucking dare you.

Unlocking stages is dated?

Guess all parts of the game should be open right from the start then?

Sounds like he was just annoyed with having to actually play the game in order to review everything.

Unlocking stages is dated?

Guess all parts of the game should be open right from the start then?

Sounds like he was just annoyed with having to actually play the game in order to review everything.

no, look, imagine you pull out the Wii U on thanksgiving and pop in NintendoLand for the first time to play with your family. but, oh wait, you can't play all the modes because you have to unlock a bunch of them. that's annoying.

I don't think anyone was complaining when Rock Band 3 had the full song list unlocked from day one so you didn't have to endlessly grind the game to get more music. For a party game like that, you want all your options day one. I think most party games get this now, which is why they've probably called it dated. I'm prepared to grind NintendoLand to get the unlocks that are important to me, but that's exactly what it's going to be.

Putting things like game modes behind RANDOMISED unlock systems is dumb.

and let me put on my Amirox translation hat. where he is saying 'shallow' imagine he's using an equivalent but not pejorative term instead. Like 'instantly accessible'. his points are all valid if you take out the loaded term.

I would argue that some of the games in NintendoLand do not look shallow at all, but then I'd argue that Bowling and Golf in Wii Sports weren't either. I don't think costume unlocks add depth to a game, personally. I don't need any more reason to keep playing a game beyond it continuing to be fun.

Top Bottom