• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New DC Comics Movies For “At Least 3 Years” Besides Batman and Superman Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

I have only read the first 5 issues of Action Comics, so I can't really comment on that, but Snyder's Batman could have been the exact same story in the old DCU so far. Which books have actually benefited from the continuity reboot? DC could have relaunched their entire line without rebooting continuity.
Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman and Animal Man have benefited, but mainly from the extra press the reboot brought them. Aquaman's powers got some retooling, but that's about it. Depending on who you ask, the reboot actually hurt Wonder Woman. And there aren't many people who like the Batgirl situation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My favorite iteration of Superman's costume was, is, and always will be the early 1940's Max Fleischer look:

fleischer.jpg

Don't like the black emblem and the underoos look a bit geriatric, but it's nice. I dislike it when the two cape parts connecting to the shirt are really wide though (like in the upcoming Man of Steel movie.)

I think my favorite suit was actually Superman Returns'. They nailed that part of the movie, I felt. (Casting was good too, IMO.)

Ninjimbo

It's really fucking sad that you have to practically beg people to watch JL/JLU. You would think a show that great would've found a huge audience.

kswiston

Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman and Animal Man have benefited, but mainly from the extra press the reboot brought them. Aquaman's powers got some retooling, but that's about it. Depending on who you ask, the reboot actually hurt Wonder Woman. And there aren't many people who like the Batgirl situation.

I still think the same thing could have been accomplished by relaunching all of the books to #1 with new creative directions and reader friendly entry arcs without messing up continuity/characters. Batman and Green lantern are basically the same books. Swamp Thing and (to a lesser extent) Animal Man could have been reintroduced to the DCU with some retooling and no one would have minded. I haven't read Animal Man outside of the Morrison run and the stuff in 52, but he didn't seem all that different in the first few issues of the new series that I did read. We seemed to have lost more than we gained as far as characters are concerned. Most of the best books could have been done in old continuity. Maybe Action Comics is an exception. As I said, I haven't read past the initial flashback story.

I'm game for a Cameron-helmed Aquaman-movie.

it would do gangbusters, and DC when would still be holding their collective dicks in their hands getting trounced all the way to the bank.

I know they get lumped together, but I never saw any of it after Batman and Robin. It seems weird to me to refer to them as the same series. I've never seen them so my view could be wrong, but just from reading about it, they seem pretty different.

EDIT: Yeah:

That focus on the supporting cast is a pretty huge difference to try and call it Batman: The Animated Series to me.

They are the same show in spirit, and exist in the Dini-verse as co-equal entities.

LuCkymoON

Banned
DC has way too many "me too" characters with similar powers and costumes. Yes they have varying personalities but who really wants a city full of supermen? There aren't enough criminals to keep them busy. =_=

ReiGun

Thinking back on it, even though the en result was less than stellar, I'm impressed that DC actually took a shot on a "Birds of Prey" series. I think they should try again. At least a cartoon, maybe.

I genuinely think that a good Aquaman movie (approached the right way) could be as big as Nolan's Batman films..., if not bigger.

And yes I'm serious.
I think the same of any DC's heroes, but I think people really underestimate just how good an Aquaman movie could be.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
there will be a reboot within 10 years after TDKR.

I don't see why people don't think there will be a reboot soon.
The Nolan trilogy was never designed to fit with other superheroes, Batman is one of the big brands now, I fully expect a new reboot to be announced in the next 2-3 years and released shortly after so this new universe can fit into a Justice League future.

As if they are going to leave Batman after TDKR for 10 years or more, the Nolan films are self contained enough and awesome enough to stand on their own, I have no worries about a new reboot affecting them at all.

NeonZ

Retcons within a year of rebooting! That must be a speed record in comics.

Actually, the same thing pretty much happened after CoIE, and to such a point that they later had to make an explanation about delayed retcon waves.

These guys...I swear.

A JL movie would be so successful, if only these fools could actually see that. GODDAMNIT.

It could be, but it sounds more and more like they're trying to bake the cake by throwing all the ingredients in the oven and hoping for the best. You gotta build up to a film like that. I don't think this reverse course (team movie --> individual movies) they seem to be aiming for is going to pan out.

Log4Girlz

My favorite iteration of Superman's costume was, is, and always will be the early 1940's Max Fleischer look:

fleischer.jpg

My hopes and dreams for a Golden Age-era Superman movie will never happen :(

I love the animated shorts but I can't stand the symbol...black background is cool but a yellow border? UGH

Also, removing the underoos looks weird for a modern costumer...unless you get rid of the spandex and make the suit more of a uniform. Think M.Bison from Street Fighter without the hat :p

I give it five years before they reboot it, max. Batman is too big a franchise now for WB to sit on it for very long.

I think that's a generous window, actually.

Wouldn't surprise me if Batman 1 was their next big movie after Man of Steel, especially if they can't get JLA off the ground right away. Honestly, won't bother me that much if they have the balls to skip the origin story.

FStop7

Banned
There's room for both. This isn't a zero-sum game.

There is room for both but I think serious comics are harder to translate to the screen and they're harder to sell to audiences outside of Batman. And even when it comes to Bats there are just as many people who like the lighthearted version.

Batmand and Superman in the same movie would sell big time.

It's not guaranteed. Superman isn't even a guaranteed audience puller. Batman is proven, but anything else from DC is suspect. They've by and large produced utter shit at the box office. They have no concrete plan or universe when it comes to the movies. In fact, they could damage the one good thing they have in Batman, by plunging him into mediocrity or worse if they aren't careful and associate him with their other stuff.

Dram

True, the Batman movie brand was destroyed once, with the Batman and Robin movie, it could get destroyed again.

SteveWD40

I would love a good World Finest movie, just Batman and Supes, maybe some cameos (GL, but older, Jon Hamm Hal Jordan rather than glib Reynolds version).

Wonder Women wouldn't work now imho, Martian Manhunter couldn't carry his own movie, The Flash would be ok but it's kind of hard to do visually (a guy who moves so fast you can't see him...), Reynolds would have been better in that role as he wanted it for years.

The one I think they could do well is Green Arrow, using Kevin Smiths arc as a basis (NOT an origin), so an older Oliver Queen comes back to life, maybe cut some of the plot that requires too much exposition but the script in Smith's strips is exellent (imho), cast someone like Neal McDonough and do it cheap.

21st+Time+Heroes+Celebrity+Picnic+Sponsored+ruWT6qRbJi2l.jpg

True, the Batman movie brand was destroyed once, with the Batman and Robin movie, it could get destroyed again.

The great thing about Batman, is that it has enough incarnations to satisfy a myriad of fan bases. I don;t think a reboot is a bad thing as the Nolan trilogy can stand on it's own, much like the Dini-verse or various collected graphic novels. They all have legs of their own. I will say that DC has the animated stuff down though as some of their best stuff has come from that area.

Where's my Gotham Central IRL series, DC

Someday, someone at hbo will have the idea, and call someone at warner brothers... i hope. I'm not holding my breath for WB/DC to take any initiative. They're crap at both using licensing to promote the comics and licensing out the comics in the first place (except the animated stuff i guess).

They should reboot Harry Potter too. But this time, pad it out over 20 movies.

But Harry Potter was adapting books. With Batman, they're just adapting the setting and characters. There's not a finite amount of material to draw on.

Besides, I fully expect WB to find ways to keep exploiting Harry Potter too. Rereleases in 3D are my bet.

ericexpo

i wish they would take some time off from batman and make some batman family movies, a batgirl or a nightwing movie. Someone picking up the cowl after Bruce, could almost have connection to Nolan batman, ie. Hulk to Incredible Hulk (are they connected are they not)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Genetically, Booster Gold has everything in his origin to reboot and create a cohesive DC Movie Universe. He may not be Batman, or Superman, but sometimes you have to start smaller to build up the big, and with someone more interconnected to the universe as a whole rather than the myopic city men of Metropolis = Supers, Gotham = Bats, rarely the twain shall meet. Better yet, the whole thing can be a wry take on "too many superhero movies" with the museum he ends up pilfering from.

i wish they would take some time off from batman and make some batman family movies, a batgirl or a nightwing movie. Someone picking up the cowl after Bruce, could almost have connection to Nolan batman, ie. Hulk to Incredible Hulk (are they connected are they not)

I'd love to see them set the stage for more spinoffs like that in the next trilogy. Bring in Robin in the reboot, have him become Nightwing by the third movie, then give him his own movie.

One of my favorite things about Batman is the legacy he inspires with all his sidekicks. If we actually got to see Dick Grayson grow up and become his own hero over the course of several movies, that would be awesome.

Utako

Banned
Genetically, Booster Gold has everything in his origin to reboot and create a cohesive DC Movie Universe. He may not be Batman, or Superman, but sometimes you have to start smaller to build up the big, and with someone more interconnected to the universe as a whole as Metropolis = Supers, Gotham = Bats, rarely the twain shall meet. Better yet, the whole thing can be a wry take on "too many superhero movies" with the museum he ends up pilfering from.
I didn't know who Booster Gold was until reading Anticitizen One's origins post, then hitting Wikipedia.

He sounds like a riot and could be huge, but I don't think many (any?) big directors could pull off action comedy really well. It would probably be really chodey.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I didn't know who Booster Gold was until reading Anticitizen One's origins post, then hitting Wikipedia.

He sounds like a riot and could be huge, but I don't think many (any?) big directors could pull off action comedy really well. It would probably be really chodey.

As with RDJ as Tony Stark and Ledger as Joker really, casting and on-screen chemistry is everything. You could have the lowest budget imaginable, but if you like the guy up on the screen there and feel for him (or her, Wonder Woman badly needs SOMETHING created to make her identifiable to movie goers), the rest just falls into place.

sharbhund

But Harry Potter was adapting books. With Batman, they're just adapting the setting and characters. There's not a finite amount of material to draw on.

Besides, I fully expect WB to find ways to keep exploiting Harry Potter too. Rereleases in 3D are my bet.

I wonder if the Harry Potter movie rights revert back to JK Rowling after X years of inactivity (like Marvel's deals with Fox and Sony). If so, we could see a reboot from WB sooner than expected.

ReiGun

Between the "Tim was never a Robin" and the last minute replacement of Stephanie Brown in "Smallville"...

Ugh. I'm going to go rewatch the "Man of Steel" shaky cam footage to remind myself of why I like this company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom