• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New DC Comics Movies For “At Least 3 Years” Besides Batman and Superman Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
A shitton. Nick and Thor have kinda been in the news recently. Wonder Woman is given this stature of 'public fame" simply because DC markets her as part of the trinity but she is just as much of a question mark to the public as as the other JL members that aren't the big two.

thors alter ego? i dont think so.

Slayven

Thor hasn't used an alter eg for for damn year 10 years. Except for the odd story where he is stuck in mortal form or something.

Thor hasn't used an alter eg for for damn year 10 years. Except for the odd story where he is stuck in mortal form or something.

We need to see a return of 60 second time limit Thor, since that's the most nonsensical limitation since GLs weakness to yellow

Slayven

The Batman reboot should feature the greatest Robin.

8epU9.jpg

tumblr_lsuz1fHjCv1qiy3mn.jpg

Xero

Same here. DC characters just don't interest me since a lot of them are 'perfect' unlike guys like Iron Man who battle alcoholism. .

I'm assuming you have never read any dc comics, because super is the only one that comes even remotely close to being perfect. This is a terrible misconception that dc needs to address in their movies.

That said I think they could build up batman's cast of characters, like the birds of prey. I think resurrection man would make a great movie or even better a tv series. I'm curious about the green arrow show too, but I'm more partial to old man ollie, with his dysfunctional family.

I think its funny that a lot of people forget dc's non mainline movies that have been made.

Also dc movies
Road to Perdition
A History of Violence
Constantine
V for Vendetta
Stardust
The Losers
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
RED
The Spirit

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I really hope Man ofel is DCs "Ironman" as far as setting up a movie universe for all these characters to exist in. Start establishing the visual style and the rules with MoS then bring the other characters in.

Obviously you can just bring Batman back with no real buildup.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
i see the best robin, but he isnt prominent until the second clip.

Indeed. Damian's great though, in fact I like all the Robins (well, Jason Todd post-resurrection... his stint as Robin was pretty lame.) Dick is great for Nightwing, Tim is the preeminent Robin, Red Hood is great for being Batman's foil as his kill-unrestrained counterpart, and Damian is a great character with an interesting personality, backstory, and interaction with other characters.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Haven't you heard? Tim Drake was never a Robin now.

Considering all the backlash I would imagine they'll never get around to saying that in the comics... or at least, I hope so.

It doesn't make sense, either, because Damian's whole plot in Batman & Robin now is to one-up all the previous Robins, and Tim's included in that.

SOqlNl.jpg

r0yNcl.jpg

Considering all the backlash I would imagine they'll never get around to saying that in the comics... or at least, I hope so.

It doesn't make sense, either, because Damian's whole plot in Batman & Robin now is to one-up all the previous Robins, and Tim's included in that.
Yyyyeah, about that...

Lobdell talked about September's "Teen Titans" #0, saying the issue was "Almost exclusively about Tim Drake, but we get some secret info about Skitter and Bunker...as near as I recall, as it is now Tim goes straight from being Tim Drake to being Red Robin in that there was no official period of time where he was Robin. We keep most of the origin in tact in that he was one of the few people who could get very close to learning who Bruce is...but it will be a much updated version of his origin."

SOqlNl.jpg

r0yNcl.jpg

Nightwing is going to push his shit in.

i'd be down for a Justice League movie that has to introduce all of the heroes within the confines of the film. screw a villain, they can just fight each other.

lupinko

The other problem is that unlike Marvel movies, DC movies are all handled by WB.

Well on the flipside, many people see that as a problem with Marvel movies as fans including ones here on gaf clamor for Marvel/Disney to regain the rights to Spider-Man/X-Men/F4/Daredevil back from Sony and Fox.

kswiston

I think its funny that a lot of people forget dc's non mainline movies that have been made.

Also dc movies
Road to Perdition
A History of Violence
Constantine
V for Vendetta
Stardust
The Losers
RED
The Spirit

Almost none of those are DC properties. DC published them, but the majority are creator owned. That's why several of those films were done at studios other than Warner Bros.

kswiston

At least Tim Drake still exists and stars in the Titans book. He could have been Wally'd with all of those robins floating around.

DC is just going to do Batman versus Superman with a JLA sprouting off from there. Marvel can't beat them to the heroes fighting heroes punch.

dabig2

At least Tim Drake still exists and stars in the Titans book. He could have been Wally'd with all of those robins floating around.

wait, does wally not exist in nuDC or ehatever the hell they call this period?

If so, fuuuuuck you Barry Allen. I rather they kept his ass dead.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they just don't show him being Robin? Because as Hehateme posted in the YJ thread:

Retcons within a year of rebooting! That must be a speed record in comics.

DC did a reboot without laying out an actual ground map of what they'd do in the long run. They had a walking reset button in case it didn't catch on but besides that it seems they had very little determined in terms of what the new continuity would look like and what of the old would remain. They had a writer on Superman who had no clue what Morisson was doing with the character in Action Comics in a story that was set five years before his concurrent run.

Rorschach

Wow @ drake bomba. Wtf? I'll just wait for the next reboot where it was all a dream. Or the one after that in time for the jla movie.

Too many (actually every DC hero besides Batman and Superman) heroes can't stand up to the All Star Superman test. Can you tell their origin in 8, understandable words? It's why all their other franchises bomb and Marvel's keep rising to heaven.

Not 8 but close enough:

Green Lantern - Test Pilot Hal Jordan receives a magic ring from a dying alien

Wonder Woman - An amazon warrior from Paradise Island is sent as ambassador to man's world

Barry Allen - Forensics scientist gets dosed in electrically charged chemicals and becomes THE FLASH!

Martian Manhunter: The last martian, teleported to earth by scientific experiment, lives incognito amoung us!

Aquaman: The son of a human scientist and the queen of atlantis trying to discover his place in the world.

Booster Gold: A loser from the 25th. century travels back to our time to be the worlds greatest super hero.

Seriously what is so complicated? I would honestly say those origins are even less complicated than Iron Man, Thor, and Captain Americas. Also DC characters look visually more interesting than Marvels:

dc-comics-presents-brightest-day-2-ostrander-jolley-hitch-mahnke-igle.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DC did a reboot without laying out an actual ground map of what they'd do in the long run. They had a walking reset button in case it didn't catch on but besides that it seems they had very little determined in terms of what the new continuity would look like and what of the old would remain. They had a writer on Superman who had no clue what Morisson was doing with the character in Action Comics in a story that was set five years before his concurrent run.

I think at this point I'll just consider TT #0 non-canon. I mean, it's #0! It doesn't have anything to do with anything!

Yes New 52 has ruined continuity so much. I really really really want things to be reset... again...

I think New 52 is great but I don't see what was necessarily wrong with the old universe.

Also, Superman needs red underoos. He looks so weird without them. With Batman I don't really care.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I think at this point I'll just consider TT #0 non-canon. I mean, it's #0! It doesn't have anything to do with anything!

I think New 52 is great but I don't see what was necessarily wrong with the old universe.

Also, Superman needs red underoos. He looks so weird without them. With Batman I don't really care.

Honestly the lack of underoos is my favorite design choice of all the newer designs. It just feels so clean.

IceCold

I'm assuming you have never read any dc comics, because super is the only one that comes even remotely close to being perfect. This is a terrible misconception that dc needs to address in their movies.

That said I think they could build up batman's cast of characters, like the birds of prey. I think resurrection man would make a great movie or even better a tv series. I'm curious about the green arrow show too, but I'm more partial to old man ollie, with his dysfunctional family.

Also dc movies
Road to Perdition
A History of Violence
Constantine
V for Vendetta
Stardust
The Losers
RED
The Spirit

I've only read Batman comics and stuff like Watchmen but that isn't part of DC main universe. But this is just the perception that I get from DC. I think it's because a lot of their most famous characters were created in the 40s and had this idealistic theme to them.

eastmen

Banned
Yes New 52 has ruined continuity so much. I really really really want things to be reset... again...

I have a dream where I wake up and I'm like 22 again and didio and Geoff johns never got control of dc and things are good . Cuase they aren't now

I have a dream where I wake up and I'm like 22 again and didio and Geoff johns never got control of dc and things are good . Cuase they aren't now

Let's not exaggerate. Animal Man, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Superman (Action Comics) are literally at their peak right now in terms of quality

Effect

SOqlNl.jpg

r0yNcl.jpg

I've been wondering for a long time now how Red Hood was handled after the reboot. Seeing that bat on his chest makes me smile though. Glad he isn't being treated like a villain. At least I hope that's what it means. Maybe I'll check out a few issues on the comic app if that's the case.

As for films. Maybe DC should give up on the live action. Go with high quality animation. A extremely high quality animated (that would make those at Pixar jealous, unless you can get them to animate) Justice League film might be way to go. What they want to convey, especially with characters like Superman, works a LOT better there when it comes to action.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've been wondering for a long time now how Red Hood was handled after the reboot. Seeing that bat on his chest makes me smile though. Glad he isn't being treated like a villain. At least I hope that's what it means.

He's been an antihero rather than outright villain for a while... then became a big antagonist in B&R 2009... then went back to being an antihero around the time of the reboot.

I haven't gotten around to catching up on Red Hood and the Outlaws yet, but I would imagine the bat symbol is an ironic joke that Jason is playing on Bruce. That is, unless he has stopped killing his foes... which was a big part of his character that I hope hasn't changed.

I think you have that mountian reversed .

DC has been in a downward spiral since 2004.

Oh you're that crazy dude I was having a conversation about this with a few days ago. :p Something about them cancelling your favorite no-name heroes.

#bitter

kswiston

I have only read the first 5 issues of Action Comics, so I can't really comment on that, but Snyder's Batman could have been the exact same story in the old DCU so far. Which books have actually benefited from the continuity reboot? DC could have relaunched their entire line without rebooting continuity.

wait, does wally not exist in nuDC or ehatever the hell they call this period?

If so, fuuuuuck you Barry Allen. I rather they kept his ass dead.

Wally is MIA after a year. I am sure they could introduce a character with that name at some point in the future, but Barry Allen never married Iris West. Wally is not his nephew, and was never his sidekick in the new continuity. If they bring him into the new universe he will be radically different. Bart still exists, though I haven't read Teen Titans since issue 2.

Loxley

My favorite iteration of Superman's costume was, is, and always will be the early 1940's Max Fleischer look:

fleischer.jpg

My hopes and dreams for a Golden Age-era Superman movie will never happen :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom