• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

yoopoo

Banned
John Harker said:
2rmt8vd.png
That doesn't seem too far off.

From what I've heard recently, Killzone 2 will be THE system seller...it has exploding concrete.

So watch out, 09 will be the year.

:lol I love how everyone seems to think I loves sales now, and everthing about them. Good call... only my first npd to partake in, and only do so for balance reasons: far too many trolls on the dark side (360, PS3).

llTll

Banned
onipex said:
This reply actually sounds bitter. Wii only owners have just as many games to look forward to as HD fanboys do. You also have to know that sales do matter. When you like the games that are made for your console you hope it sells well so more games are made for it.

Anyone who thinks that Wii owners only have sales to look forward too is just a misguided bitter HD fanboy.

excuse me ? Wii has many good games as HD fanboys do ????????

dont make me laugh man. and no. its not a matter of tastes. i have all Systems and honestly. Wii is the only system i dont play. aside from the games we had 6 months ago like mario and others, There is NOTHING on Wii. unless u count Wii Music :lol

yoopoo said:

From what I've heard recently, Killzone 2 will be THE system seller...it has exploding concrete.

PS3 doesnt need a system seller. they already have games. PS3 and 360 are just like 1 console. same multiplatform games + exclusive first and second party games.

the only thing the PS3 need is at least 100$ price cut.

400$ is the price the xbox 360 was released. and that doesnt didnt do good for MS.

Xbox 360 is half the price the ps3. and it only managed to double the sales of the PS3 "even tho Sony was beating them on monthly bases this year before the price cut "

Ulairi

Banned
yoopoo said:

I thought 2008 was the year? MGS4, LBP, R2?

But, I see, NEXT year is the year.

farnham

Banned
yoopoo said:

2009 is the year of the PS3.. like 2008 and 2007 and 2006

llTll said:

dont make me laugh man. and no. its not a matter of tastes. i have all Systems and honestly. Wii is the only system i dont play. aside from the games we had 6 months ago like mario and others, There is NOTHING on Wii. unless u count Wii Music :lol

obviously it is.. because i have wii and 360 and i play a lot more with my wii.. its all a matter of taste..

ZeoVGM

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
What are you disagreeing with exactly? The economy or that price is one of the reasons the PS3 isn't selling?

If at this point, you think the price is a big reason for the PS3 not selling, you're out of your mind.

soldat7

farnham said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

no seriously why would they play superb games and suddenly change into subpar games (crackdown excluded because that one is good)

People are superficial. They'll see a game with cool graphics and think it's good. I certainly did with Shadows of the Empire so many years ago (not a knock on KZ2 btw).

CWB452.gif

screen%20digest_graph_2.jpg

How much do you think it costs to hire Screen Digest to do an 'Independent Report'? I want to commission an investigation into the size of my penis.

llTll said:

...Of course it's a matter of taste. Repeat after me - O. Pin. Ion.

TheExodu5

Banned
farnham said:
not only the shoulder view.. but many mechanics like the character movement or the context sensitive stuff is very very similar to RE4...

and no.. not many games have done that before..

the cover mechanic is ofcourse gears own achievement... (or kill switch.. but who cares about that)

because like viva pinata its on the wrong platform

Context sensitive actions? Really? Well in that case I'd say Gears is derived from God of War. Har har!

Maybe you're looking for the word "inspiration". I'd say it's definitely inspired from RE4. Derived is just a much more heavy term, meaning the game is pretty much entirely derivative of the RE4 formula, which it is not.

Why the hell am I defending Gears anyways? I don't even like the game. :lol

------------------------

Anyways, software wise, yes this was a great year for PS3. However, it stopped being "year of the PS3" when Microsoft cut the price of the console, and the recession hit. Sony is in a terrible position now...no amount of good software is going to convince parents to buy their kids a $400 PS3 over a $200 360. Hell, if I didn't have any console now, I'd probably consider a 360 over the PS3 just because the price is too damn good. Well, LBP, Valkyria, and Blu-Ray would bring me back to the light, but still the 360 is an incredibly tempting purchase at it's current price point. Of course, I already have my PS3, and no 360 yet, so that decision's already made for me. :lol

rhino4evr

Pureauthor said:
If it appealed to casuals, then why did it only sell 200K?

umm becuase the PS3 console base is ass? Casual gamers are not buying PS3s.. I never said that LBP would make them buy it. I was just responding to the jack ass that called it a "NON GAME". That is a REAL fucking insult if oyu have played it and loved it as much as I have this year.

omg rite said:
If at this point, you think the price is a big reason for the PS3 not selling, you're out of your mind.

I don't know how to read this...you think price isn't the reason the PS3 isn't selling better than it currently is?

There are other reasons of course, but price is a major issue.

One of it's competitors is marketing the hell out of the $199 price point, and the other one is a cultural phenomenon.

If the PS3 was price competitive, at least it would have something to advertise.

Scrubking

llTll said:

Ah there's nothing like the "I have all the systems so I'm right" argument. Only the "I have a Wii so I can bash it" argument can come close.

yoopoo

Banned
Ulairi said:
I thought 2008 was the year? MGS4, LBP, R2?

But, I see, NEXT year is the year.
How many PS3 games released in 08 had exploding concrete? Hmm?

Killzone 2....exploding concrete....system seller. How can you deny?

rhino4evr said:
umm becuase the PS3 console base is ass? Casual gamers are not buying PS3s.. I never said that LBP would make them buy it. I was just responding to the jack ass that called it a "NON GAME". That is a REAL fucking insult if oyu have played it and loved it as much as I have this year.

How is it really more of an insult than calling [insert title here] a lousy game or a nongame or a kiddy game or whatever?

People like to be snarky. Move on.

farnham

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Context sensitive actions? Really? Well in that case I'd say Gears is derived from God of War. Har har!

Maybe you're looking for the word "inspiration". I'd say it's definitely inspired from RE4. Derived is just a much more heavy term, meaning the game is pretty much entirely derivative of the RE4 formula, which it is not.

Why the hell am I defending Gears anyways? I don't even like the game. :lol
okay then ill say inspired.. anyway gears is not a very original game and that was my whole point..

llTll

Banned
farnham said:
obviously it is.. because i have wii and 360 and i play a lot more with my wii.. its all a matter of taste..

care to tell me honestly what NEW games u bought for Wii the last 4 months ?

farnham said:
2009 is the year of the PS3.. like 2008 and 2007 and 2006

According to some other thread, 2009 is the year of the Wii. Of course this is false, though, considering there will only be one deer hunting game next year.

farnham

Banned
soldat7 said:
People are superficial. They'll see a game with cool graphics and think it's good. I certainly did with Shadows of the Empire so many years ago (not a knock on KZ2 btw).
sure :lol :lol :lol thats why the 360 did worse then the wii with a lower price tag

sure :lol :lol

you are treating anyone that bought a wii like a moron

llTll said:

last 4 month would be from july..?

Wii Fit (might be may), Mario KArt (might be may), Okami, De Blob, Samba de Amigo, Boom Blox(not sure if it was may or june), Disaster, Wario Land, Smash Bros PAL (had an US version though.. bought a PAL one because of the constant disc swapping),

same period i bought Ninja Gaiden 2 and Soul Calibur 4, Trusty bell and Assassins creed for the 360.. considered Too Human but the reviews were just too bad.. (fable 2 and gears 2 are on the way)

soldat7 said:
My point is many people will migrate to the so-called 'hardcore' market. They'll play Mario and Metroid for a while and eventually want to play something like Crackdown and Killzone. They put down Nintendogs and pick up Spore. It's a very natural (and healthy) process.

Of course, some will NOT migrate to the 'hardcore' market. But it's fallacy to think that Sony and MS can't survive an onslaught from this mysterious army of Nintendo warriors-in-training.

Now if Nintendo grows to corner the market ala Blizzard, then we might have a problem with my argument. ;)

the hell? So now SMG and metroid are casual? I've seen everything.

gregor7777 said:
I don't know how to read this...you think price isn't the reason the PS3 isn't selling better than it currently is?

One of it's competitors is marketing the hell out of the $199 price point, and the other one is a cultural phenomenon.

If the PS3 was price competitive, at least it would have something to advertise.

Price was the issue when it was first released.

Right now, the problem is of perception. The PS3 is branded a 'loser' console. Price drops for the PS3 will provide temporary boosts, like price drops for all other loser systems in history, but it won't affect the sales overmuch.

Evlar

Banned
llTll said:
See... the disconnect here is when he uses the word "play" you respond with the word "buy". I've lent my Wii out to a friend who is currently deep in the worst case of Smash addiction I've ever witnessed. Am I buying games for Wii? No. Is my Wii seeing use? Oh yes.

rhino4evr

Pureauthor said:
How is it really more of an insult than calling 'insert title here' a lousy game or a nongame or a kiddy game or whatever.

People like to be snarky. Move on.

Calling a game that has some of the most 2D hardcore platforming levels in the last decade a non-game is going much further then being snarky. It's just dead wrong, and totally ignorant.

Here is my "I own all 3 consoles" statement. I do...and despite owning Gears 2 and Fallout 3, Im having a real hard time putting LBP down.

The Wii though..hasn't been turned on since May. Sadly.

llTll

Banned
Scrubking said:
Ah there's nothing like the "I have all the systems so I'm right" argument. Only the "I have a Wii so I can bash it" argument can come close.

dude you dont kow me. so dont assume shit.

i only bought wii like few months ago because i was able to get it used and for almost 130$ only.

if you dont believe me, check the msg history. you might find something about me owning a Wii.

and the fact remain. i have the system. i dont like it much. no games to play. last thing i played was mario galaxy and mario kart.

puebla

lawblob said:
One final thought; what really cracks me up about Wii loyalists is their warped 'battle' mentality.

In order to be a Wii fanboy you have to concede entire genres of games. You accept that you will only get shitty, watered down and gimped versions of: sports games, FPS games, music games, RPGs, etc.. and yet, despite the fact that the Wii fails miserably in those genres relative to competitors, Wii owners still make these arguments about being completely satisfied with what they have.
:lol it's funny cuz it's true.

soldat7

farnham said:
sure :lol :lol :lol thats why the 360 did worse then the wii with a lower price tag

sure :lol :lol

you are treating anyone that bought a wii like a moron

I bought a Wii so that would be self-deprecating.

Nintendo and Microsoft are speaking to different audiences at the moment.

llTll

Banned
Evlar said:
See... the disconnect here is when he uses the word "play" you respond with the word "buy". I've lent my Wii out to a friend who is currently deep in the worst case of Smash addiction I've ever witnessed. Am I buying games for Wii? No. Is my Wii seeing use? Oh yes.

i think we are gamers here. if you use the Wii for fitness because you are batman and you dont go out during the sun for walk, that is ur problem. but here we actully buy and play games.

the dude is suggesting there are as many good games on Wii as HD consoles. i asked what are the games he bought the last few months.

Threi

notag
tabsina said:
I don't even know which games i'd guess have had a 20 mil budget on wii.. if there are none, does that make the tie-ratio is infinite or zero, according to your specifications :p
that is why nintendo loses HUAHUAHUA HD FOREVA BITCHES

Pureauthor said:
Price was the issue when it was first released.

Right now, the problem is of perception. The PS3 is branded a 'loser' console. Price drops for the PS3 will provide temporary boosts, like price drops for all other loser systems in history, but it won't affect the sales overmuch.

I disagree, but of course have no proof to back it up.

If the PS3 was in line with the 360 price point (and had been so a significant time period), I think the sales would have been reversed this month.

No doubt it's been branded the loser console, but most of that rep IMO was derived from slow sales due to it's higher price point.

Krypton Zod said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

That thread really bothers you, doesn't it? You've posted your disdain several times there, and now you link to it here.

TheExodu5

Banned
gregor7777 said:

Price is pretty much the main factor now. Every consumer electronics poll seems to show that the PS3 is more sought after than the 360. Why? The Playstation brand still has a lot of power. I talk to people around my work, and everyone's under the impression that PS3 produces better graphics than the 360 (obviously, it depends on the game, but multiplatform titles have shown the two consoles to be largely equivalent, in favor of the 360). The casuals (sports and licenses game players) are waiting for a drop in price. However, I think many are realizing the 360 is a viable alternative, and moving to that console. The longer Sony goes without a price cut, the more the brand will be losing it's power in favor of the Xbox brand.

gregor7777 said:
I disagree, but of course have no proof to back it up.

If the PS3 was in line with the 360 price point (and had been so a significant time period), I think the sales would have been reversed this month.

No doubt it's been branded the loser console, but most of that rep IMO was derived from slow sales due to it's higher price point.

Bingo. Also, the loser console rep really has only been prominent on gaming forums and such. Mass consumers don't see it that way at all. The Playstation brand has lost much of the hardcore userbase it once had, but there are still tons of people out there that view it as the most desirable console, regardless of the competition. A lot of people are not realizing how much of an effect brand power has.

Sony's in a brutal situation now though. Microsoft has brought out the big guns, and finally reached the casual price point. There's no way in hell Sony can compete with that, partly due to the tanking US dollar, and rising Japanese Yen. Without a major price cut, Sony is going to be behind for quite a while I think. They've lost their chance to catch up in North America.
Bingo.

Grecco

gregor7777 said:
at least it would have something to advertise.

Ill risk jumping into this again but Sony did advertise the 399.99 price point a couple of months back.

Realistically Sonys problems are much larger, its no longer a "software" issue or a "marketing" issue or a "price" issue. Its a perception issue. Image is everything in gaming. The Gamecube had the image of a kiddy system that sunk its chances. The PSP still really hasnt shaken the image of having "no games" and similarly PS3 has its image issues that it wont be able to shake this time.

Don't worry, you have a dedicated, ban-immune PS3 troll thread for you right here.

Im seriously laughing at how you are still bitter over that.

llTll said:

i only bought wii like few months ago because i was able to get it used and for almost 130$ only.

if you dont believe me, check the msg history. you might find something about me owning a Wii.

and the fact remain. i have the system. i dont like it much. no games to play. last thing i played was mario galaxy and mario kart.

What kind of genres of games do you like to play?

llTll said:

You're right, we can only judge you based on your history here at GAF. By that history, we can see that you not only have a Playstation logo tattood on your ass cheek, you've actually also had a speaker implanted just inside your sphincter so that it makes the PS3 bootup noise when you spread your cheeks.

Wii sucks. PS3 sucks. 360 sucks.

Mkliner

So what did I learn from this thread? Well apparently wii has no games, sucks, and you have to be a fucking idiot to buy it. Your opinion doesn't count because you are a fucking idiot and of course it's the wii fans who have a battle mentality

TheExodu5 said:
Price is pretty much the main factor now. Every consumer electronics poll seems to show that the PS3 is more sought after than the 360. Why? The Playstation brand still has a lot of power. I talk to people around my work, and everyone's under the impression that PS3 produces better graphics than the 360 (obviously, it depends on the game, but multiplatform titles have shown the two consoles to be largely equivalent, in favor of the 360). The casuals (sports and licenses game players) are waiting for a drop in price. However, I think many are realizing the 360 is a viable alternative, and moving to that console. The longer Sony goes without a price cut, the more the brand will be losing it's power in favor of the Xbox brand.

I agree 100%, and have heard the same sorts of things from people at work.

Mkliner said:
So what did I learn from this thread? Well apparently wii has no games, sucks, and you have to be a fucking idiot to buy it. Your opinion doesn't count because you are a fucking idiot and of course it's the wii fans who have a battle mentality
This guy sucks, too.

Top Bottom