• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: The Order 1886 deserves* a sequel

Vinland

Banned
They could try to make that episodic with the tech out of the way. 20 bones each with 4 to 6 hour self contained story arcs would be quite something.

Kaibutsu

I enjoyed the Order quite a bit and definitely more than most. I thought it was a fun, mindless and great looking 3rd person action game. Ultimately forgettable but that game had style. I also remember really liking the story of the knights of yore existing in semi-modern times. I would certainly play a sequel to it.
CCvZygxXIAAzg-Y.jpg:large

I'd be there day one for an Order sequel, the game was awesome. It has to be the most unfairly maligned title in gaming. Its average elements are exaggerated, while its positives are written off by those who criticise it. The plot had some holes and there were elements that were clearly rushed, but the shooting was solid and the world, voice acting, visuals and audio were all best in class.

zma1013

It really doesn't deserve a sequel. It's a boring, uneventful experience that does nothing new or interesting in any area nor does it do anything better than anything it's trying to ape. All characters are wooden boards, the story and world is boring in a way I didn't realize a world like this could be boring, I've seen similar stories unfold with this formula before many many times in other games and movies and whatnot but done much better. The shooting part, what little there is, is just merely serviceable and ultimately mediocre due to restrictive environments and no interesting enemy types to fight and the camera seems more interested in showing me the details on my character than actually giving me a clear view of the action.

This game deserves no sequel. It's just a 7 hour tech demo to showcase the graphics engine and nothing more. The engine deserves another game but The Order does not.

I could see it, i enjoyed my time with the order. It was not the best bang for your buck or breaking any ground when it comes to a shooter aside from looking nice but it was an entertaining ride. My expectation was set accordingly and i got a deal on the game. I ended up liking it quite a bit. Would love to see them take another stab at it without the pressure to deliver some mind blowing game at launch.

Such squandered potential! My God was the game boring and tedious to play!
I like RAD, I truly do. But seeing and playing the fruit of their labor made me realize that they bit more than they could chew...
The very title has become toxic I suppose, and Sony would be foolish to pursue this endeavor any more; There are far better opportunities to seize, and short of them assigning a different team to bring the original vision to life -who would do that, and WHY?-, I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

ethomaz

Banned
It needs a REMAKE.

They can start fixing these three key points...

- Bad core gameplay
- Bad story with no end (that was terrible)
- No bosses (WTF?)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think both The Order and Ryse are games that deserve a second chance to build on what I believe are strong foundations for potentially amazing sequels.

Yukinari

Make a movie with the same exceptional graphics we saw in the game and refine the story so its not terrible anymore.

Excel at what you do best instead of shoving gameplay into it because "its a video game and we have to". Their attitude towards gameplay was obvious the moment the devs opened their mouths.

brawly

post-25374-Michael-Jordan-YEAH-gif-Imgur-X3MA.gif

I enjoyed it a lot, when I actually got to play it. I thought the fire-fights were damn solid.

They need to cut the amount of downtime and add more gameplay.

I appreciated the fact that The Order: 1886 was a new IP, even if a lot of people apparently hated it. Worse games have received sequels, so The Order is worthy.

The game seems to have somewhat of a following. It would be great to see a follow up that delivers on the story and gameplay. The Order ended up being only a fraction of what it was supposed to be. The game had to come out eventually, and the final product just didn't have enough substance.

The technology behind the game likely played a big factor in the long development. Will the game engine go to waste? Someone can use it, right?

Z3M0G

The lore and world were fantastic... I want to play more of that. It's probably the only reason I have any interest in replaying The Order... I want to see those locations again, those characters again, and use those weapons again. But I don't really want to sit through that story again... I want more and better story.

glaurung

Whatever or whenever the sequel end up being, I hope they dedicate a more significant portion to the lore and the world. It's a fascinating world they've built, and we got a hazy glimpse at it in 1886.

It deserves more.

Just finished the game after picking it up for $5 during the holiday sale. I got to say it was a lot better than I expected.

Graphics, art design, world building, were all awesome. Characters were likeable and acted well. I'd also say I thought the story was good, obviously they forgot to put the third act into the game, but what they had in it is pretty solid. And then gameplay, which I thought was okay to solid, it's the thing that probably needs the most work, I'll put it this way, it wasn't good enough to be as repetitive as it was. I also did't really like how you move in the game and quick time events are just dull, hard to make fun.

I went into the game knowing a lot, I knew it was short and that the story ended in weird spot, so if I went in blind I know doubt would have been more upset with how it played out. But now I'm bummed it's most likely not getting a sequel, it's really too bad it didn't sell well, as I feel a sequel taking all the criticism into account could be really great.

Portugeezer

I am genuinely interested to see what happens next. Game probably sold too poorly for Sony to fund a sequel though...

post-25374-Michael-Jordan-YEAH-gif-Imgur-X3MA.gif

I enjoyed it a lot, when I actually got to play it. I thought the fire-fights were damn solid.

They need to cut the amount of downtime and add more gameplay.

This, I mean I played through it pretty quickly so that there was not too much downtime, but I remember having to push some cart and thinking... damn this is slow and annoying.

Arise!

I actually LOVED this game throughout.

Guns felt great, story kept me interested, the world building was fantastic, and the graphics and art direction have not been topped this console generation. It was very cinematic, which I love in games.

And yes, I feel like it absolutely warrants a sequel.

It's been really cheap lately, so I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same...

yencid

I would like a sequel, but with an actual story. The game felt like i was watching a TV show and halfway through it went to commercials and never came back. The story had a non ending.

ryseing

The Order reminds me of games like Crysis 3. Why would you play a below average game that just does the basics when you could be playing games that do everything it does but way better?

It just didn't rise above thoroughly mediocre for me.

Hey, nice bump. Replayed this game yesterday and liked it much more this time since I completely focused on the story and didn't look for collectibles and such.

And even though I liked it a lot now, I am baffeled that RaD actually thought that this would sell. I mean, yeah, the graphics are mindblowing and will probably remain the best until a new gen of consoles arrives but there really is only very little "game" in this. Did they actually think masses of people would pay 60 bucks for this? How naive can you be?

Anyway, it's a real shame. Really like the characters in this game and would have loved to see more adventures with them. Doubt that's ever going to happen though. At least the story is more or less resolved in this game. Though they could have given the other characters aside from Galahad a nice closure as well.

I bought this on the flash sale and am around Chapter XI and I regret not getting it at launch. :p

I wouldn't say they need to overhaul the gameplay, like some are suggesting, but decrease the downtime in between action. The gunplay is very solid.

ryseing

The game ends with a fucking
gunshot fade to black
and it does so with absolutely no self-awareness. That's the problem with the entire game really.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Why do I feel like the wind just blew my skirt up?

emrober5

The world of this game was awesome, the gunplay was excellent, and the graphics have arguably still not been topped on ps4.

Yes it had its problems, but I loved the game. It was a great base to build on for a sequel but sadly I don't think it will happen.

mnemonicj

They can definitely try pulling a Team Ninja approach to what they did on Nioh. Listen to what the players want and improve the game. I just want it to be fun.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's a great setting for a game and conceptually pitting the Knights of the round against classic monsters with period specific tech gear is a wonderful idea. They botched it all up, but there is a special game waiting to still be made here.

sackninja

I too really enjoyed this game, but it felt like the first third of a story without standing on it's own properly story wise. Therefore it needs a sequel more than most games. So I agree a hundred percent.

bosseye

I loved it, I thought it was fantastic. It wasn't perfect, but I was hooked for entire duration.

It's just a shame that overall sentiment was pretty strong against it as those of us who liked it are unlikely to see a sequel and thus get any continuation/closure on what I thought was a really interesting story with great characters.

I might rebuy it now it's cheap. Shame there isn't and presumably will never be a Pro/HDR patch.

black070

I think so - I'm sure they've learnt from their mistakes and know to realign their focus now. It's just a little bewildering that they weren't aware of it in the first place, especially when they're the same devs to make two of the best entry's in the God of War series.

gunshot fade to black
and it does so with absolutely no self-awareness. That's the problem with the entire game really.
There is a sequnce after the credits though...

I thought that aside from character closures the games story is more or less complete.

Lucifon

I loved it, I thought it was fantastic. It wasn't perfect, but I was hooked for entire duration.

It's just a shame that overall sentiment was pretty strong against it as those of us who liked it are unlikely to see a sequel and thus get any continuation/closure on what I thought was a really interesting story with great characters.

I might rebuy it now it's cheap. Shame there isn't and presumably will never be a Pro/HDR patch.

Couldn't echo those exact feelings enough. I had a great time with the game for what it was. I'd love a sequel.

No matter how many good points there were to the game to latch onto for optimism for a sequel, I can't ignore all the things that were complete shit. The werewolf fights, both the QTEs and the hide in a corner and shoot segments, were both laughably bad. The stealth section was unnecessary. Plot points were dropped off a cliff. Cinematic forced walking. Cinematic grapple down a balloon.

I honestly think Ready at Dawn would have a much better chance at making a good game if they did something completely new and completely different from The Order 1886. They had frankly no idea how to make a compelling third person shooter. It's a greatest hits CD of some of the lamest ideas in games since 2000.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gunshot fade to black
I'll never understand this complaint about the game. Is this some kind of a film super-nerd kind of insight? Was there ever really a time this kind of thing has been abused? I've seen thousands of movies from different eras, and can't ever remember thinking something like that would be a cliche. Certainly not like "I woke up and it was all a dream" kind of thing. But even if it somehow is, I just don't see a big deal tbh. MGS3 had something very similar. It was better and more meaningful there, no doubt - but kind of a same thing mechanically and visually.

EGM1966

I'd love to see more of the engine for sure. The world? Yeah that too.

But they'd need to seriously improve the narrative and gameplay as though were definitely lacking.

Shame the engine was so good and the actual mechanics it could support seemed robust but the utilisation was weak.

FingerBang

The Order 1886 was over criticized. It wasn't a masterpiece and it would have benefited from more variety and fewer cutscenes, but was far from the short, broken game some people talk of. I liked the gameplay, the characters and the Story and loved the settings.

Knowing Sony and looking at the exceptional work they have done with the Engine, I can see a sequel coming. Uncharted and Killzone had potential and got a sequel, going from mediocre games to multi million sellers. Knack was destroyed by the critic and is still getting a sequel. It would be just stupid killing The Order.

I am against a remaster, a sequel reboot that hints at the previous game would be great. Something like The Order 1928.

Rymuth

Horde mode at the time of the game's release would've been great and I feel at least some of the hate would've been mitigated.

Galahad switches so much of his attire in the base game already that it's a shame there's no mode where you can pick and customize your loadout.

Top Bottom