• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 90% Players Can’t Run Final Fantasy 16 At 1080p 60 FPS

Draugoth

Gold Member
  • A detailed analysis shows you need at least an RTX 4070 to run Final Fantasy 16 at native 1080p 60 FPS at medium.
  • This makes over 90% of Steam users unable to reach 60 FPS because of the optimization issues.
  • Only 6% of users on Steam have an RTX 4070 or a better GPU, making the game limited for the masses.
Square Enix doesn’t seem to have put too much effort into optimization. Therefore, visually more stunning games that should be much more demanding on the system are easier to run than Final Fantasy 16.

ff16-performance.jpeg

The graph shows Final Fantasy 16 only runs at native medium 1080p 60 FPS on RTX 4070 and above

According to a detailed analysis, to run the game at 100% scaling without using DLSS or FSR 1080p medium at 60 FPS, you need at least a GeForce RTX 4070 graphics card. The GPU falls in the upper mid-range of GPUs, which everybody can’t afford.

Source

Last edited:
It always crackles me when people say this should run better than this other game that "looks better". Especially when games are made on different engines( probably have different languages that are powering the engine), have different overheads, have different systems running underneath, etc. Just because something runs well, doesn't mean another thing will as well, and looks depend not only on sheer texture quality( or demanding performance) but also on things like art style. Heck, the same software on same configuration can have different performance and different bugs.

StereoVsn

• A detailed analysis shows you need at least an RTX 4070 to run Final Fantasy 16 at native 1080p 60 FPS at medium.
  • This makes over 90% of Steam users unable to reach 60 FPS because of the optimization issues.
  • Only 6% of users on Steam have an RTX 4070 or a better GPU, making the game limited for the masses.
Square Enix doesn’t seem to have put too much effort into optimization. Therefore, visually more stunning games that should be much more demanding on the system are easier to run than Final Fantasy 16.

ff16-performance.jpeg

The graph shows Final Fantasy 16 only runs at native medium 1080p 60 FPS on RTX 4070 and above

According to a detailed analysis, to run the game at 100% scaling without using DLSS or FSR 1080p medium at 60 FPS, you need at least a GeForce RTX 4070 graphics card. The GPU falls in the upper mid-range of GPUs, which everybody can’t afford.

Source
And then SE keeps wondering why their games don’t sell to expectations. Not only this is coming a year late, it’s also as usual for SE an unoptimized disaster.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
- Unable how? Are they forbidden to upgrade?
-Is the game unlimited for the non masses how?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
To con the phrase.....

90% of PC gamers can't even run this game at 1080p@60fps.

Remember when they were saying that about the game running on PS5. Then that was an underpowered console.

Now lets hear the poor optimization and lazy devs talk....
Who is "they" exactly?

Lazy devs and poor optimization was already thrown around when the game was only on PS5. Do you expect this to change?

Last edited:

Doggyred

Neo Member
To con the phrase.....

Remember when they were saying that about the game running on PS5. Then that was an underpowered console.

The PS5 can't either. It drops to 720p during combat and the game rarely hits 60fps while dropping to the 30s often

Last edited:

ssringo

Feels good to be in the top of the top. I can't afford to buy full priced games but damn they'd look incredible if I could!

In all seriousness though, I'll buy it on sale. I'm neck deep optimizing my Satis-factories and ain't got time to be watching full length movies and their ads for gameplay.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

The PS5 can't either. It drops to 720p during combat and the game rarely hits 60fps while dropping to the 30s often
Oh I know. Never said it could.

Just pointing out that when we see games underperforming on the PS5, I usually say something along the lines of, I have seen much better and taxing games than this running fine on the system, so the system doesn't need a better CPUY or GPu or whatever, the game just needs to be better optimized.

But our PCMR friends will dismiss talk like that because they can just brute force everything. But then when a game like this comes along and also runs like shit on the PC... all of a sudden, everyone seems to remember that games can be unoptimized.

Double standards don't you think?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
To con the phrase.....

not me. from the beginning i was calling that every game that ran like shit on PS5 was also an unoptimized mess and seems to ring true once again

better looking games on PS4 but somehow this can't seem to keep itself working. Nah that's on the devs. PS5 is a powerful system as it stands and they can't utilize that power worth a damn

Mr.Phoenix

Who is "they" exactly?

Lazy devs and poor optimization was already thrown around when the game was only on PS5. Do you expect this to change?
I would know... I was the one throwing it around.

Now imagine this... all of a sudden no one. And I mean no one has been attributing poorly performing games on the PS5 to weak hardware... funny.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Something is wrong with companies, what happened to figuring out how to make games run well? Using tricks to reach good performance? They just don't care these days.
Coding rigor has definitely decreased, but honestly poor PC porting is not new. In fact, it used to be relatively "normal". It's the highest investment platform for ports because of the modular nature of it.

I don't think BD3 was ever going to hit it out of the park on a technical level, but it is pretty bad. They had Sony's engineers assisting them when they were focusing solely on PS5 (less SKUs = better results) and it still performed the way it did despite the linearity, and the fact thay it was initially supposed to be playable on PS4. Now, despite most of 18 months, performance is still bad for PC, and they don't even have a strong enough patch for the PS5 Pro to demonstrate it.

LRKD

I don't know how this is possibly shocking to people? Like yeah steam users is counting everyone. The thirdworlders, the poorfags, the casual, the laptop kid, and of course the masterrace players who update every part every year.

Like steam is so accessible it'd be like counting the ps2-ps5 as one single PlayStation userbase.

Topher

Gold Member
This shouldn't be surprising. Steam hardware survey's have been discussed thoroughly here. It has been pointed out time and time again that the vast majority of PC gamers on Steam run mid-range GPUs. Just like the vast majority of console gamers play games on base consoles.

bundylove

This shouldn't be surprising. Steam hardware survey's have been discussed thoroughly here. It has been pointed out time and time again that the vast majority of PC gamers on Steam run mid-range GPUs. Just like the vast majority of console gamers play games on base consoles.
Lets just say it how it is.

Console players are not behind in power or games when it comes to the overall market.
And this is why games are mostly made with consoles in mind therefor without consoles there would be a lot less AAA games out there.

The days of pc superiority are over. Every game runs on every hardware just with different visual settings.
I remember the good old ps2 days where splinter cell was chopped into several pieces or return to wolfenstein levels were missing or just very different to make it work on the hardware.

Or far cry on the xbox was a totally different game than on pc.

Topher

Gold Member
Lets just say it how it is.

Console players are not behind in power or games when it comes to the overall market.
And this is why games are mostly made with consoles in mind therefor without consoles there would be a lot less AAA games out there.

The days of pc superiority are over. Every game runs on every hardware just with different visual settings.
I remember the good old ps2 days where splinter cell was chopped into several pieces or return to wolfenstein levels were missing or just very different to make it work on the hardware.

Or far cry on the xbox was a totally different game than on pc.

Eh.....PCs are still superior on the high end. Those visual settings make a big difference. But no, not every game runs on all hardware since many games won't be ported to last gen consoles, but will be playable on older PC hardware. Not as bad as the PS2 days, I'll give you that.

Top Bottom