• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 90% Players Can’t Run Final Fantasy 16 At 1080p 60 FPS

Zathalus

"Just get a PC instead."

flexing delusions of grandeur GIF
They should really redo the benchmarks at 720p, for that authentic PS5 experience.

Shifty1897

It's a really good looking game, it's gonna take a powerful machine to run it, especially if you're looking to lock the game to a certain resolution instead of using dynamic resolution scaling, which the game was developed around.

Loboxxx

Neo Member
That's the reality outside the forums, inside everyone has the designer miniPCs, with 4090 and play without bugs, native 4K and 60/120fps + RT, PCs that have cost around 900/1000€...

MikeM

Gold Member
Also LOL PCMR doesnt mean THE BEST SPECS available.

It means you have an amazingly huge choice of what to build
The biggest thing with PC is choice.

Choice of game settings. Choice of upscaling. Choice of hardware. Choice of storefront.

Playing on my PS5 sucks now because I love higher framerates. The lack of ability to tune settings to a desired framerate kills me now on console.

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
Now we are going to play the game which is called: "That is not even midrange card."

This is why it's called PC master race, if you're not willing to spend 1200+ on the latest videocard you're not in the club.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Outside of what few handful of influencers made you believe, most PC players have a very humble setup that run things below 30fps with graphics below medium. And that's fine.

Moriah20

This game is probably the best looking pure-raster game I've ever seen, that being said the FPS variance even within the same scene is insane, its almost like the game is not culling the world properly.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Seriously? I find that hard to believe that's the one thing that I notice the most is that it runs on my machine without a hitch.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Shh, let them have their fun bro! Don't ruin their high, god knows they don't have many of em
People tend to "ignore" that PS5 was a $399 console released in 2020!! Also whats with shifting the goalposts to "upscaling and DLSS" Im not opposed to that mind you! But wasn't PC all about bute forcing your way to 4K/60 or 120fps with RT ... etc?

Wasn't you folks angry at PS5Pro reveal despite Sony unveiling a banger of upscaling tech (PSSR)

Closing note: Consoles (by design) will never beat a high end GPU at any given time but we cannot simply discard that they offer one hell of a value for their price and prove to be plenty capable when optimised for.

MMaRsu

But then consumers shouldn't be expected to pay full price for the gimped ass games.

Who says they have to? Hogwarts Legacy is like 20$ on Switch RN.

I would assume most people don't purchase these ports full priced.

Also, options.

BlackTron

The Witcher 3 is a great example of why you shouldn't go that far.

Docked
  • 720p max, 540p lowest
  • 30fps with drops
  • Settings lower than PC low, select animations missing
  • 720p cutscenes, with compression artifacts
  • Pop-in more noticeable than PS4 (cutscenes most problematic)
  • Textures, sound, LODs (foliage) pared back/compressed
  • Water rendering looks good
  • NPC count is similar to PS4
  • AO, light shafts, motion blur (can be toggled), AA
  • Grass doesn’t animate
Handheld
  • 540p max, 810×456 lowest
  • 30fps with drops, more drops than docked
the_witcher_3_switch_compar.png

Sure there are miracle ports out there... But should you pay full price for a compromised experience?
Hogwarts_legacy_comparaison_switch_PS5.jpg

resize

jurassic park film GIF

Nintendo has made it clear that they don't want to compete with Microsoft and Sony. Fine. They're at their best when they stay in their lane anyway. But then consumers shouldn't be expected to pay full price for the gimped ass games. Frankly, this is a post Steam Deck world now, and it can play all of the games pictured with better performance, and you can still take it to the bathroom with you. Playing on the Switch is no longer the only option if you wanted to play these games anywhere but at home.

And who is they? Square Enix? They couldn't even be bothered to put the effort in on their target platform or the next one they wanted to squeeze money from. You think they're going to bend over backwards to cram FF16 into a platform that's 1/10th the power envelope?

What install base? Let's do math. The Witcher 3 sold 700,000 units on Switch. Out of a total of around 28 million across all platforms, that's about 2.5%. At the time of TW3's switch launch, Nintendo had sold 41,670,000 Switches. That makes the attach rate about 1.68%. I don't think the install base was demanding anything. Certainly not a crippled port of an otherwise great game.

Switch 2 has an install base of zero. One of the biggest draws of FF16 was the massive spectacle of its combat. Who is going to want to play a massively gimped version of that? It totally goes against the design philosophy of the game itself.

Tom Hardy Inception GIF

I don't think Switch 2 would run FF16 as poorly as Switch 1 ran Witcher 3.

Point is they ported the game anyway. All the talk about why it was or wasn't a good idea to do so is wasted space (they did it).

Steam Deck runs the game, just really bad FPS. But it does run. That's a PC version, not a customized console version with Nvidia DLSS hardware we already know is newer and better than Steam Deck with FSR. So you're being very hasty that Switch 2 won't get this game, given we've already seen them dump every FF Switch 1 can possibly run.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People tend to "ignore" that PS5 was a $399 console released in 2020!! Also whats with shifting the goalposts to "upscaling and DLSS" Im not opposed to that mind you! But wasn't PC all about bute forcing your way to 4K/60 or 120fps with RT ... etc?

Wasn't you folks angry at PS5Pro reveal despite Sony unveiling a banger of upscaling tech (PSSR)

Closing note: Consoles (by design) will never beat a high end GPU at any given time but we cannot simply discard that they offer one hell of a value for their price and prove to be plenty capable when optimised for.

If PC was all about brute forcing then DLSS wouldn't have been created in the first place. PC first and foremost is about fine grain customization of your gaming experience. Having access to DLSS, the best upscaler in the industry by far, is just one of the many options that's available.

These are screenshots from my PS5 (performance mode).

Nice, here's how GT7 looks (performance mode)

5060abc8308e9a886f332fb47dfc9f8c.png

Played it at launch on PS5 in performance mode so I have a decent idea of what it looks and plays like. Running a 4060Ti 16GB on my rig, playing on a 32" 1440p 165Hz monitor. Settings I tested were 1440p, Medium settings, High textures, AO on, and DLSS/FSR3. Using the FFXVI Fix mod from Nexus. Tested with and without DLSS/FSR3 FG.

I played the intro up through the flashback combat tutorial. Used FRAPS to get min/max/avg of the first flashback Eikon fight segment up until the campfire scene. It's a decently heavy scene.

1440p(DLSS 'Perf'), FG 'off' = 82fps avg, 101fps max, and 48fps min
1440p(DLSS 'Perf), FG 'on' = 105fps avg, 139fps max, and 65fps min
1440p(FSR3 'Balanced'), FG 'off' = 72fps avg, 95fps max, and 42fps min
1440p(FSR3 'Balanced'), FG 'on' = 100fps avg, 133fps max, and 68fps min

Side-by-Side comparison:
FFXVI-COMBO-COMPARE.jpg

The improvement in image quality even at 1440p(DLSS 'Perf')/(FSR3 'Bal') with FG active is easily noticeable. Much smoother gameplay as well. The PS5 version has kind of a flat, washed out look in this scene.
---
Source images:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Fabieter

I dont understand 1080p and 60 fps at all time without upscaling is like way better than the ps5 Version. If the pc version isnt optimized than the ps5 version isnt optimized either.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
If PC was all about brute forcing then DLSS wouldn't have been created in the first place. PC first and foremost is about fine grain customization of your gaming experience. Having access to DLSS, the best upscaler in the industry by far, is just one of the many options that's available.
I like how you assumed that every PC built is Nvidia! Poor AMD 🤣

Senua

Gold Member

No, I was not angry when the PS5 pro was revealed. This is the problem, you're just speaking in vast generalisations

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
you're just speaking in vast generalisations
Been seeing a lot of this lately, people just can't argue with an individual anymore and have to come up with stuff like "all PC gamers do X thing" or "all console gamers are like this". It's sad and makes for very poor arguments not worthy to engage with.

Merkades

When I first bought my 4090 a year and a half ago, I was worried that I was just wasting money I could better use elsewhere. Since then though, I have long decided that it was a great purchase. I thought FF16 looked great and performed great, never even realized it does not for most. For pretty much all games I just set it for 4k 60/120 with most things maxxed (not crap like DoF though). I do use DLSS, which I like, but not framegen. Too bad I can't buy a new top end card every cycle (because that is too wasteful for my means).

I very much believe that you should spend money on things you use a lot or enjoy (now anyways). For me, gaming means a reasonably high end PC and display/sound system. I just bought a Purple bed because you spend a significant portion of your life sleeping. If I ever meet my eventual desire of playing a music instrument, I will spend accordingly there as well (within reason, not like I want to buy a stradivarius).

Bojji

Actually, around 10% which probably translates to around 13 million PC...which is incidentally the number of Pros projected to be sold.

And we don't even know if Pro will be able to lock this game to native 1080p and 60fps (in theory, it shouldn't).

Zathalus

Actually, around 10% which probably translates to around 13 million PC...which is incidentally the number of Pros projected to be sold.
That is using the last known monthly Steam users from 2021 mind you, if you follow the CCU trend of Steam the monthly users would be around the 160-200 million mark, depending on if you use the online or in-game number.

Esparadrapo

Neo Member
7800 X3D / 64GB 6400 / RX 7800 XT / Linux (low power limit bug included)

Running around in the castle after the training:

Medium 1080p (no upscaling): Min: ~85 FPS Average: ~110 FPS
Ultra 1080p (no upscaling): Min: ~58 FPS Average: ~80 FPS
Medium 1440p (no upscaling): Min: ~55 FPS Average: ~65 FPS
Ultra 1440p (no upscaling): Min: ~44 FPS Average: ~55 FPS

The game is garbage regarding optimization and even more considering the limited visuals I can see ingame. That said, I don't know what kind of testing Tom's did or if Windows is really becoming that much worse for some games than Linux.

Minsc

Gold Member
PS5 wishes it could hold 60fps for more than 5% of the entire game, at any resolution. Even at 240p I don't think it could.

Hot5pur

Not sure it matters anymore with upscaling tech. Yes, sucks for those still on old GPUs without it, but if you want the latest visuals you have to make some investments.
If a 4070 was required to run it with DLSS turned on and could only hit 60fps at medium, I'd be concerned.
I wonder if GPUs will put a lot more focus on these techniques rather than pushing raw raster power.

Top Bottom