• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 90% Players Can’t Run Final Fantasy 16 At 1080p 60 FPS

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Seems inline with Pro console sales splits.

question asks GIF

Jakk

Funny I only ever hear about PCs that make consoles look like shit but when I built one it cost around 2000 dollars and is currently pretty shitty(5800x and 3080 shit card, basically a 2080TI with better RT and rasterization(or wtf ever).

Can't stand gaming on my PC, so I only use PS5, PC collects dust. PC can probably play most games better than PS5 but you know, my 3080 doesn't support any frame gen so it's pretty super shitty and basically useless and obsolete.

Glad to see us actually judging PCs as gaming devices properly instead of just using them as talismans to ward off the evil console makers.

One thing I heard lately that really tripped me up. In the other thread about steamdeck, there was a PC guy in there saying how the steamdeck totally changed their view of handheld PCs. That since they gamed on the deck, they were able to just forget about everything and game again(they didn't say this part, but as I've stated numerous times when you game on PC you are thinking about many things besides gaming, like performance, like mods, like "did that mod I installed cause the crash, better test" and other things about your big investment). With the deck they were able to just stop worrying about it, relax and play.

Well you know what? The steam deck is a CONSOLE! The reason you love it is because it has uniform hardware and support from valve. It isn't "yours" or something "you built" it is just a simple console that lets you play your games without worrying about ANYTHING. So why don't you PC gamers see that this also has benefits? Isn't it actually childish to worry so much about graphics to the point it creates a neurosis in yourself and you can't enjoy games, and more mature to prefer convenience and uniform hardware? That man in the other thread I mentioned could not enjoy gaming anymore until he swapped to a console. Think about that.
I kind of get the second part of the post, consoles are more of a plug and play experience and you don't worry about the settings, because most of the time you can't even change anything besides toggling between a fidelity/performance mode. But how is a 5800x and a 3080 shitty PC in 2024? I seriously can't believe what I read on this forum sometimes.

Zathalus

Funny I only ever hear about PCs that make consoles look like shit but when I built one it cost around 2000 dollars and is currently pretty shitty(5800x and 3080 shit card, basically a 2080TI with better RT and rasterization(or wtf ever).

Can't stand gaming on my PC, so I only use PS5, PC collects dust. PC can probably play most games better than PS5 but you know, my 3080 doesn't support any frame gen so it's pretty super shitty and basically useless and obsolete.

Glad to see us actually judging PCs as gaming devices properly instead of just using them as talismans to ward off the evil console makers.

One thing I heard lately that really tripped me up. In the other thread about steamdeck, there was a PC guy in there saying how the steamdeck totally changed their view of handheld PCs. That since they gamed on the deck, they were able to just forget about everything and game again(they didn't say this part, but as I've stated numerous times when you game on PC you are thinking about many things besides gaming, like performance, like mods, like "did that mod I installed cause the crash, better test" and other things about your big investment). With the deck they were able to just stop worrying about it, relax and play.

Well you know what? The steam deck is a CONSOLE! The reason you love it is because it has uniform hardware and support from valve. It isn't "yours" or something "you built" it is just a simple console that lets you play your games without worrying about ANYTHING. So why don't you PC gamers see that this also has benefits? Isn't it actually childish to worry so much about graphics to the point it creates a neurosis in yourself and you can't enjoy games, and more mature to prefer convenience and uniform hardware? That man in the other thread I mentioned could not enjoy gaming anymore until he swapped to a console. Think about that.
The only childish thing is thinking all PC gamers have such a neurosis about graphics or mods. You know what I did to play the recently released Space Marine 2? I launched the game from Steam, checked DLSS was enabled, and clicked play.

You don’t enjoy PC, that’s fine, plenty of people don’t. But don’t try and pretend that the hundreds of millions that do all have these issues or concerns.

Zacfoldor

Wrong. Supports every frame gen (DLSS3 FG forced through DLSSG to FSR3).

Very wrong, for obvious reasons.
To be fair, I wasn't aware my 3080 supported FG, so I do appreciate that tip and I'm going to look into it. It is still a meh card imho. It was a terrible upgrade at the time I bought it. 2080ti was on sale for much cheaper but I opted for the 3080 and still kinda regret. I upgraded from a 2080 iirc. I was looking recently at the spec sheets for wukong and assumed my card would not provide frame gen(it didn't perform so hot in their benchmarks iirc, despite the astronomical cost).

I mean, even you gotta admit 3080 don't look so hot on those benchmarks....I can't remember what I paid but it was at launch, and way higher than a Ps5 Pro.

I think it is interesting to say Steam Deck isn't a console at least in spirit. You think the steam deck isn't a console at all or at least console adjacent? Let's forget textbook definitions and speak in general terms here.

It seems to me the Steam Deck is a way to provide a console like experience using a portable PC but also offering extra expandability for users who want to mod it or alter it. Seems like the device is trying to use the benefits of a console on a prebuilt PC that is also mobile(with great success). However, let's be honest, isn't the PC bit extra. I assume most people are using Steam deck as a plug and play console like experience, no? I could be wrong. What do you think? Maybe most people are using theirs as a PC first and a game console second, but I just have trouble imagining that. I would guess that most Steam Deck users who find they love the device are loving it because of how adjacent it is a console. That simplicity has an appeal, no?

Last edited:

Bojji

To be fair, I wasn't aware my 3080 supported FG, so I do appreciate that tip and I'm going to look into it. It is still a meh card imho

New games with FSR3.1 offer options to combine FSR3 FG with DLSS, and results are very good. All new Sony games have it for example.

3080 is still better GPU than what is inside PS5 Pro, you may only complain about low vram amount but with right settings it's shouldn't be a big problem (at least now).

AMD's FSR3 frame gen works even on 20xx series cards, no?

Yep, even older cards.

Zacfoldor

AMD's FSR3 frame gen works even on 20xx series cards, no?
I searched, "Nvidia frame generation work on a 3080"

When I search google AI Overview says, "No, Nvidia frame generation doesn't work on the RTX 3080, but a mod can enable FSR 3 frame generation for older Nvidia RTX graphics cards" Not sure if it is true or not but that is what it says. I was wrong because it does support FSR3 with a mod I wasn't aware of I suppose. I do accept that, as I wasn't aware I could enable FSR3 with a mod. Of course the AI could be incorrect and the 30XX series COULD support frame gen, I'm checking on that right now actually. I was looking here:

Fuck I'm off topic though. I'm actually gonna boot up my PC tonight and work on this. Maybe I can get FFXVI running at > 60 fps 1080p, lol.

PC gaming folks. Jump right in.

Last edited:

Bojji

Oh shit really? Didn't know that. Perhaps my 1060 laptop can survive through next year for games like Trails into Daybreak 2. * if supported.

And this was with first broken release that didn't support VRR, now it's pretty much on par with DLSS3.

Some games support FSR3 FG with Reflex, but in some it's not possible and input lag noticeable.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
To be fair, I wasn't aware my 3080 supported FG, so I do appreciate that tip and I'm going to look into it. It is still a meh card imho. It was a terrible upgrade at the time I bought it. 2080ti was on sale for much cheaper but I opted for the 3080 and still kinda regret. I upgraded from a 2080 iirc. I was looking recently at the spec sheets for wukong and assumed my card would not provide frame gen(it didn't perform so hot in their benchmarks iirc, despite the astronomical cost).

I mean, even you gotta admit 3080 don't look so hot on those benchmarks....I can't remember what I paid but it was at launch, and way higher than a Ps5 Pro.

I think it is interesting to say Steam Deck isn't a console at least in spirit. You think the steam deck isn't a console at all or at least console adjacent? Let's forget textbook definitions and speak in general terms here.

It seems to me the Steam Deck is a way to provide a console like experience using a portable PC but also offering extra expandability for users who want to mod it or alter it. Seems like the device is trying to use the benefits of a console on a prebuilt PC that is also mobile(with great success). However, let's be honest, isn't the PC bit extra. I assume most people are using Steam deck as a plug and play console like experience, no? I could be wrong. What do you think? Maybe most people are using theirs as a PC first and a game console second, but I just have trouble imagining that. I would guess that most Steam Deck users who find they love the device are loving it because of how adjacent it is a console. That simplicity has an appeal, no?
3080 is hotter than PS5 GPU and on paper will be ~as hot as the Pro GPU in resolution and framerate.

Steam Deck can run everything a Desktop and laptop can, so until a console can't do the same, it is a PC.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

3080 is hotter than PS5 GPU and on paper will be ~as hot as the Pro GPU in resolution and framerate.

Steam Deck can run everything a Desktop and laptop can, so until a console can't do the same, it is a PC.
I do get that, I accept your classification, it is a PC, but but but...the reason it appeals to so many is because it is a PC that also has benefits of a console, such as uniform hardware and plug and play. The reason is may feel like a breath of fresh air to play is imho the convenience of it. It was copied from the Switch, no? Isn't that convenience why it is such a groundbreaking product? One can simply turn it on and go, and that is a feature that a custom built PC lacks.

Better yet, let me ask this. Does uniform hardware offer an advantage to a gaming platform in any way?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I do get that, I accept your classification, it is a PC, but but but...the reason it appeals to so many is because it is a PC that also has benefits of a console, such as uniform hardware and plug and play. The reason is may feel like a breath of fresh air to play is imho the convenience of it. It was copied from the Switch, no? Isn't that convenience why it is such a groundbreaking product? One can simply turn it on and go, and that is a feature that a custom built PC lacks.

Better yet, let me ask this. Does uniform hardware offer an advantage to a gaming platform in any way?
The uniform hardware still has basically the same drivers and APIs and it is just as plug and play as any pre build PC with Steam installed.

akira__

Banned
Oh shit really? Didn't know that. Perhaps my 1060 laptop can survive through next year for games like Trails into Daybreak 2. * if supported.

This is a outrage.

MS has infinite war chest but our very own MS gaming representative has to make due with that?!

Zacfoldor

The uniform hardware still has basically the same drivers and APIs and it is just as plug and play as any pre build PC with Steam installed.
Look man, I appreciate your input. I'm sorry everyone. I'm backing out of the thread now, slowly. Steam Deck is a PC and not a console and 3080 is a great card with great frame generation.

I will never question PC master race again and you all have won. I'd like to thank my supporters in the DMs. Thank yall for your support, we will keep fighting the good fight. We will have PS5 Pros.

I love my account here on GAF and I'm not here to poke anyone, I'm new. Please forgive me my arrogance and take this as an apology for providing misinformation.

I would like to pour one out for the 90% of PC gamers who can't do 1080p60 on FFXVI. I think with our high powered cards like my 3080, we sometimes forget the little people who have low end cards and who had bad PCs(no seasonic, amirite?) For you, more power to you. Goodbye thread, I hope to see you in threads to come. I have updated my first post: Update: there actually IS frame gen with 3080 if you look into it and the steam deck is technically classified as a PC.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I already played it on PS5 but I'm willing to show you how well it can run on a 3070 if you are willing to pay for it :)

I'd be surprised if my machine couldn't run it at that level, specially using DLSS.

Mr.Phoenix

Who is "they"? Nice generalization there. And yes, if a game like FF16 barely runs at 60 FPS average at 1080p, medium settings on a 4090, it is most definitely poorly optimized.
You are preaching to the choir here.

Of course its poorly optimized. That was my whole point.
Because everyone knows the double standards and hypocrisy only come from PC gamers…right.
Whats that got to do with me. I don't care what the idots that have double standards do or who they are... but those that it applies to, would know themselves.

Bojji

Funny thing is that this game is just ultra heavy on GPU, it maybe be unoptimized but it's on both console and PC. Other way to think about it is: maybe it's just that heavy and this is fine? We wanted next gen games with heavy requirements and not cross gen bullshit.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
The only childish thing is thinking all PC gamers have such a neurosis about graphics or mods. You know what I did to play the recently released Space Marine 2? I launched the game from Steam, checked DLSS was enabled, and clicked play.

You don’t enjoy PC, that’s fine, plenty of people don’t. But don’t try and pretend that the hundreds of millions that do all have these issues or concerns.
There are a lot of PC gamers who don't play the latest triple A games anyway. I recently finished Pathfinder for example. Graphics don't make a game good.

Griffon

Honestly, the game doesn't even look that great... I don't understand why it runs so poorly in such small maps. The stutters fest is a fucking non-starter for me.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
These are screenshots from my PS5 (performance mode).
PUFKCGu.jpg
rTdjTUx.jpg
dkU3cRV.jpg
I still think FFXV looks better than this game, but to its merits, its lighting SOMETIMES look on par to that one. The only thing I can say for sure that looks on a whole new level is the amount of geometry in forest area.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Actually surprised it. When you hear PCMR talking down console peasants, you would think 90% are using 4080's or 4090's, then find out only 6% are using 4070. I wonder what GPU most PCMR users are rocking then?
You don't need that much either to beat consoles tho, only a 6700XT/3060Ti, any mid range CPU, which are very cheap, run laps and rounds around consoles CPU so you'll get better results most of the time due to no CPU bottleneck even on bad ports (unless they're TLOUP1 port, that thing is even so uniquely bad that not even Sony could top it with their other ports, which tend to be heavier on PC than others from other studios).

But there's a thing on PC: Some people just don't like using DLSS/FSR, DRS, going down to just High settings, turning off RT, etc. out of pride, they might be stupid tbh, so you'll see many PC gamers complaining about performance not because the games don't run well, but because they don't run well by their own expectations, 99% of the time the complainers lower game settings to console or near console settings (hell, even down to console Quality settings) and they'll still get way better performance, but yeah, "higher settings pride" is a thing on PC gaming.

I just set resolution to anything between 1440p and 4K (with or without FSR, depending on the game) with High settings and call it a day, rarely ultra actually gives you any noticable improvement... Hell, even Low or Mid sometimes look close to Ultra enough or literally with zero differences these days, that's why in many cases consoles use Low or Mid settings with barely any difference.

0.10 interested * 0.10 who can comfortably play it = 0.01 so 1% seems to be a problem, at least for the publisher.
That's assuming interest in the game and user hardware are unconnected, which I doubt is the case. Someone with an interest in playing current-gen console ports on their PC is unlikely to be one of those people running Steam on their five year-old Dell laptop.

Esparadrapo

Neo Member
That's assuming interest in the game and user hardware are unconnected, which I doubt is the case. Someone with an interest in playing current-gen console ports on their PC is unlikely to be one of those people running Steam on their five year-old Dell laptop.
Even if you concentrate the interest in this game around the alleged 10% that can comfortably play it's still a problem. From 1% to maybe 3%? That's a failure in my book.

Even if you concentrate the interest in this game around the alleged 10% that can comfortably play it's still a problem. From 1% to maybe 3%? That's a failure in my book.
Steam has ~135 million users, so 3% of that would still be around 4 million. I have no idea how well other PC releases of Final Fantasy games have sold, but that doesn't seem too bad to me. I really doubt they'll end up losing money on this port.

Leo9

Steam has ~135 million users, so 3% of that would still be around 4 million. I have no idea how well other PC releases of Final Fantasy games have sold, but that doesn't seem too bad to me. I really doubt they'll end up losing money on this port.
Probably closer to 200 million users now.

Allandor

• A detailed analysis shows you need at least an RTX 4070 to run Final Fantasy 16 at native 1080p 60 FPS at medium.
  • This makes over 90% of Steam users unable to reach 60 FPS because of the optimization issues.
  • Only 6% of users on Steam have an RTX 4070 or a better GPU, making the game limited for the masses.
Square Enix doesn’t seem to have put too much effort into optimization. Therefore, visually more stunning games that should be much more demanding on the system are easier to run than Final Fantasy 16.

ff16-performance.jpeg

The graph shows Final Fantasy 16 only runs at native medium 1080p 60 FPS on RTX 4070 and above

According to a detailed analysis, to run the game at 100% scaling without using DLSS or FSR 1080p medium at 60 FPS, you need at least a GeForce RTX 4070 graphics card. The GPU falls in the upper mid-range of GPUs, which everybody can’t afford.

Source
Not really a surprise after it's console debut and the games before. They don't really optimize these days, they just lower details until it is running.

Top Bottom