• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifon

Only fools would doe since you only get cosmetics out of them and eventually you'll get enough coins to buy whatever you want if you know you'll play the game for a long time.

You say that but there's a lot of unlocks, a fairly slow unlock rate, and then they're no doubt going to add new loot to the game at a reasonably rapid rate.

packy34

Seems like a lot of people are having bad luck with legendary drops... I got an orange skin for the ying yang dude in one of my first few boxes. So, fret not! It can happen!

Glass

Is there a mode where I could just run around the maps on my own taking in the gorgeous visuals and finding all the cool tidbits?

zoukka

You say that but there's a lot of unlocks, a fairly slow unlock rate, and then they're no doubt going to add new loot to the game at a reasonably rapid rate.

But it's still all cosmetics unlike in their other games. Overwatch is not a f2p title. You won't pay for heroes/weapons/maps. (not counting expansions).

RevenWolf

GMG has lost a bit of their reputation for stuff like this.

It's why I only buy on cdkeys. Also because even with vouchers GMG is almost always more expensive.

Ahh good to know, I never use them since I live in Australia, and their prices are rarely better than other alternatives I've found.

Had a really frustrating first few games, but then it clicked, and fell in love with Genji and Torbjörn.

I'm amazed at how many people don't destroy Torbjörn's turrets.

Game is fun but I'm pretty bad at it. I was playing on a full team of friends (and friends of friends) but honestly kinda felt like I was just dragging them down, they're all clearly a level above me skill wise, likely because they're all more experienced in competive games than me (mobas and online shooters, which I've never really been that into).

I picked up the game because I liked what it did differently from other online shooters, but still I feel bad when I feel like I'm not contributing to my team, especially when I actually know these people.

Still though, I'll keep playing and hopefully get better. If anyone has any general tips throw them at me. Or any streamers or youtubers who I can watch for tips.

Moonlight

Banned
Finally managed to just get some time into the game after work. Predictably got destroyed for my first five games, but I think matchmaking stabilized after that because games started getting way more even for me. Bastion is predictably quite popular though, lol. D.Va is still by far the tank I'm most comfortable with. Boosting with her is one of the best feelings in the game, IMO. Either to engage from a flank or just get the hell out, it's really nice.

I'm surprised at how fun McCree is though. I gave him a shot in the beta and enjoyed messing around as him, but tried a legit match as him and he's basically unstoppable 1v1. Combat roll is a really simple skill, but it's really rewarding to execute with the rest of his kit.

I'm still bad at Pharah. orz

It's going to be rough for a week while new players learn the ropes. I hate people getting mad at someone brand new. So you lost because 3 people never played this map before BFD. Help them out be a kinderwatcher.

If no one is talking no one learns anything. These are console problems so eventually all the weak players will move on to something else.

I didn't realize each hero has their own spray. Was wondering why I kept seeing the OW icon. Had fun playing a few matches.
Bastion is OP as hell in Sentry and Tank mode.

16BitNova

So when is it appropriate to quit to main menu? When it's showing you the medals for the next game or do you have to wait until setup of the next game? (So that it doesn't affect XP or whatever)

aka_bueno

This game consumed me tonight. I haven't played a game for 6-7 hours in a single day in a long long time. I really only took a break to eat dinner, so much fun.

Playing with a few different GAF groups was a ton of fun, looking forward to more! I got halfway into level 12, not bad.

packy34

I didn't realize each hero has their own spray. Was wondering why I kept seeing the OW icon. Had fun playing a few matches.
Bastion is OP as hell in Sentry and Tank mode.

He's weak to so many things. It's actually really hard to get him positioned in a way that he can be effective.

Tecnniqe

Banned
GMG has lost a bit of their reputation for stuff like this.

It's why I only buy on cdkeys. Also because even with vouchers GMG is almost always more expensive.
Their sales page states keys will go out on or within 24 hours of release.

You can complain all you want about them in that regard, after their website upgrade things been a bit slow but in the end there is a clear marking on the page relating to their key time frame.

Cdkeys have had great deals on it indeed. However I've not had much interaction with them.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
PLEASE DON'T HATE ME

I opened 12 loot boxes and got 7 skins.

including one for tracer, d.va and goth chick widowmaker skin.

Klyka

Banned
Their sales page states keys will go out on or within 24 hours of release.

You can complain all you want about them in that regard, after their website upgrade things been a bit slow but in the end there is a clear marking on the page relating to their key time frame.

I'm just saying that GMG used to be on point with their keys so you would ALWAYS get it the day before release.

Now, it is very often exactly the day of release, many times later into the day and in very very few cases (which are the ones that impacted their rep) they didn't get the keys out on release day. They also sometimes couldn't deliver on pre-order bonuses which they promised.

I personally had no problems with them when I was still using them.

Seems like a lot of people are having bad luck with legendary drops... I got an orange skin for the ying yang dude in one of my first few boxes. So, fret not! It can happen!

Same here, but I did get one just now. Has one of Mercy's alt Emotes.

Been backing up my teams with Reinhardt. Holding the barrier and occasionally charging like a beast.
Half the time, I land a kill with that.

zoukka

I've seen more Bastions than anything. I'm trying to find a good counter for them as Reinhardt, Mccree and Lucio ain't doing squat against them. Bastion shreds Reinhardt's shield like no tomorrow. Sheesh.

The counter to bastion is to stay away from his line of sight. Only snipers can quickly strafe and take a shot at him from front, all other heroes melt away.

Just circle around him if you can't cooperate with allies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Game is fun but I'm pretty bad at it. I was playing on a full team of friends (and friends of friends) but honestly kinda felt like I was just dragging them down, they're all clearly a level above me skill wise, likely because they're all more experienced in competive games than me (mobas and online shooters, which I've never really been that into).

I picked up the game because I liked what it did differently from other online shooters, but still I feel bad when I feel like I'm not contributing to my team, especially when I actually know these people.

Still though, I'll keep playing and hopefully get better. If anyone has any general tips throw them at me. Or any streamers or youtubers who I can watch for tips.

I can offer some tips based on my time with the beta:

- Try a variety of characters. Not only will this get you familiar with how lots of characters play for counterpicking, you'll also quickly see what characters match which characters.
- The game is naturally not KDR based, so focus on doing your character's job. If it's being a tank, block damage. If it's a healer, heal.
- Don't be afraid to switch characters if things aren't going your way. If you already know what can beat that dude that just killed you, go for it.
- Don't be afraid to use your ult. You don't need to save it for a rainy day, because you might never use it then.
- If you're about to lose a capture point, get on the point! As long as you get on the point, you can contest it and push it into overtime.
- The payload heals you when you're close to it.
- The tooltips at the right side of the character select will tell you when your team make-up is lopsided. It's damn useful. Definitely pay attention to it.
- If turrets are ripping you apart, switch to Genji and reflect all its bullets back at it. Turrets are the only damage dealer that cannot stop shooting when Genji turns on Reflect.
- Playing a healer isn't "easy mode". It's the foundation of victory, and a good one will always get high fives from the rest of the team.

Hope that helps!

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm just saying that GMG used to be on point with their keys so you would ALWAYS get it the day before release.

Now, it is very often exactly the day of release, many times later into the day and in very very few cases (which are the ones that impacted their rep) they didn't get the keys out on release day. They also sometimes couldn't deliver on pre-order bonuses which they promised.

I personally had no problems with them when I was still using them.
Whelp I meant to dual quote you and the other guy, anyway yeah. I used them for Total Warhammer and got the key instantly which let me pre load.

I usually don't bother that much with resellers these days but I've never had a very bad experience with them.

Ken

only thing I hate is you can't dust something if it's a single, so if it's a legendary skin you don't like you can't use it to work towards the one you do like.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
n93p3jS.png

Goddamn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom