• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

Why would anyone want to "main" a character in a team based shooter based around switching heroes and counterpicking?

I agree that people shouldn't have 1 main, but you can certainly have a number of heroes that you main and can switch freely between. It's tough to master everyone in the game!

styl3s

I play every Blizzard game, so the Origins Edition was a no-brainer.
This was my stance on it. I actively play every Blizzard game and i love have more card backs and stuff like that and i love skins and because of that i would say i am worried that blizzard will start selling those coins for real money to unlock skins etc. but it would actually shock me if they didn't offer those within the next 6 months.

Why would anyone want to "main" a character in a team based shooter based around switching heroes and counterpicking?

I hate this. Idk how many times i ended up in rando matches with people who would not pick anyone else game after game. There's always that bro playing Widow and that person playing "XYZ" that refuses to change. I dont understand players like that.

Can I be added to PS4 doc, phone keeps giving me an error

PC is good @150+
PS4 reaching 100
X1 is @20+ (ouch)

Wonderful, you've been added! Check you PMs!

Is there a PS4 Gaf community that we can all join for matching up and playing? I know there is the google doc but wanted to see if we could do it from within the PS4. If so, PSN ID is Recipe4disastr.

Check your PMs!

I haven't! Just pre-ordered now, going to check that out now. My PSN is the same as my GAF name too which is easy.

Wonderful, I've added you, check your PM!

hodgy100

just main a character of each type and then pick a secondary character of each type. its what I do in heroes of the storm. same should apply here too.

just main a character of each type and then pick a secondary character of each type. its what I do in heroes of the storm. same should apply here too.

I mean, it's still not really how it works. It's akin to Dota where you may like certain heroes but you have to pick what best complements your team and counters your opponents. If you're playing casual it's not that big a deal obviously but if anyone plans to play the competitive mode it'll be much more important.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that people shouldn't have 1 main, but you can certainly have a number of heroes that you main and can switch freely between. It's tough to master everyone in the game!

I advise learning at least 2 heroes for each role so you can be useful to the team instead of a hindrance. Obviously being able to play everyone at a decent level will help as you'll know how to best counter them as well. I honestly can't think of anything more boring than playing one character every game, I'm hoping these "I main xxx" people are the minority. It's normal to have a hero or two you prefer and are better with but you need to be flexible in Overwatch.

Cels

amazon hasn't shipped my order yet. still says it'll be here by 8pm tonight, i.e. within 13 hours from now.

getting antsy....

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Well in the beginning you want to play someone you're comfortable with
Then when you really go hard @ competitive mode and Ranking comes into play then you'll see adjustments

I bet a group of 3 Reapers, 2 Hanzos, and a Pharah will get annihilated if that was how Ranking teams classes were chosen but if its pub play you can skate by if other team doesn't counter to it which is easily done

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What's the difference between ranked and not ranked?

Ranked means more aggressive play, communication will be key, skill will be a common occurrence with certain characters knowing your chars flaw etc.
Wins will matter, Rank position, leaderboards etc.

Not ranked is more relaxed, goof off, have fun mode
No pressure to perform

a harpy

It's Blizzard, so I don't expect that to be a problem.

We'll see. Every single one of Blizzard's retail launches since (and including) WoW has had issues going live. The beta did perform well, but people were also staggered in, intentionally or not. I had early access due to pre-ordering and still couldn't actually get in for two days. Might be a lot different when millions of people are trying to hit the servers all at once.

Then again... it could be fine. That would be pretty good.

DrArchon

I advise learning at least 2 heroes for each role so you can be useful to the team instead of a hindrance. Obviously being able to play everyone at a decent level will help as you'll know how to best counter them as well. I honestly can't think of anything more boring than playing one character every game, I'm hoping these "I main xxx" people are the minority. It's normal to have a hero or two you prefer and are better with but you need to be flexible in Overwatch.

Exactly. Only playing as just one character is ridiculous. Reminds me of those sub-human tumors that would only pick Pudge in Dota 2 and insist on Mid even though someone already picked a better Mid hero.

『Inaba Resident』;204419706 said:
Any characters that you guys plan on trying more that you didn't use much of (or at all) during the beta?
I used Windowmaker maybe once or twice towards the end and I enjoyed her way more than I thought I would. Same with Genji and Reaper.

I've never played Lucio and I want to try him out. I've used Tracer sparingly, but I want to use her more.

M.J. Doja

Banned
The beauty of this game is that all the heroes are fun to play! The fun increases when it's the right hero for the map or a timely counter. It's like, "Fuck this (dying), I'm just gonna switch to X."

I'm the best at getting kills with Junkrat, because he's closest to Demoman. However sometimes the team doesn't need kills. I wouldn't say he's my main hero though. Just the one I'm most comfortable with.

Somehow I remember some great 13-15 killstreaks with Tracer during open beta. I never got the hang of Scout in TF2, but there's hope for Tracer!

It's a Game of Thrones thing.
BGNfKhz.gif

zonezeus

How many Europeans are staying up for the launch?

I'm setting my alarm for 4-5 am, I bet the first couple of hours will be a clusterfuck of Errors 37 and disconnects anyway.

EDIT: But then again the game launches in the middle of the night in Europe so maybe the servers won't be as hammered as I think?

Raitaro

Not too interested in this game but it's a Blizzard game so I bought it.

Heh. I had no interest in it till lately and had to miss the beta due to a move, but I watched some footage recently and now I might buy it soon if only because I want to support any (good) game that dares to go with a cartoony art style and that provides a way to practice against AI on all maps (I'm looking at you Splatoon!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom